A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I think Max is making an important point about the team defense, which is measured with many different metrics but I would think that both in errors allowed and in range for example, we should have a well above average defense. Especially if Iglesias is the SS. If not, we are probably projecting around average, particularly in regard to range.

The contributions of OF defense is a big part of that if Bradley is solidly in that mix along with Victorino. A huge factor. OF defense is particularly important in stopping XBH, which is a big factor don't you think in stopping big innings. Even stopping an average of an extra 10 plays per season each would be huge and a Bradley / Ellsbury / Victorino OF should do that if you look at them realistically. Each should be able to post a Plus 10 UZR/150 at their positions. That, and his ability to hit LH pitching, make it almost a no brainer to slot Bradley as a regular player. Hopefully he will continue to produce but of course we can't expect that from a rookie. But can we expect that from anyone else in the OF either besides Ellsbury?

I'm a realistic Pollyanna. To me it is realistic to expect an above .500 season but the impact of even some health improvement, a little better results in close games ( team chemistry iimprovement? ), the potential emergence of Middlebrooks, Iglesias and Bradley as major contributors on this team and most importantly, continued improvement in pitching and this team could make the playoffs. A lot of ifs but don't we see that this is potential by now?

No team is perfect. It doesn't take a lot of variance from the mean to be a winning team in baseball especially if the pitching is strong and the overall defense is well above average. This team is going to be a top 5 offense in this league. We just need to pitch well also and defend. I think we have a chance. 

I'm projecting 90 wins. Pollyanna! Go Polly!

Ya Gotta Believe!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I just think there is almost no chance for Bogaerts to be a 1st baseman any time soon. Maybe in his late 30's. The kid is athletic as heck and probably will be brought up as a SS. If he is anywhere near average defensively he probably is a potential all star with his bat. We are looking at a near Mike Trout type level bat. Not that good of course but the potential to be in the same conversation. And he can play SS?

My God, why put him at 1st? He should be able to hold down 3rd and be at least average defensively or be a corner OF. He has decent wheels.

Bogaerts may never make the transition to mlb level pitching. He is by no means a slam dunk but those ISO ratings at such a young age are what put him in the near Mike Trout conversation. I have no idea if he makes the transition but to me is is probably a better overall prospect to Hanley Ramirez at least in regard to his minor league indications. He could of course completely flop but early indications are tremendous. If he develops anywhere near his potential he will be a major contributor, and everyone says he is a positive, hard working kid. Combine solid intangibles with his obvious native physical talent and he is a potential superstar. We need to be careful with him though. He is too valuable to risk.

Next year will be absolutely huge for that kid. He will struggle some but if he continues to progress as he has in the past people right here on this forum will want to slot him somewhere in the lineup by year end. I know that is unlikely, as he is so raw, and I project his developmet path actually does slow down a lot this year but if that kid continues to tear it up people will be clamoring for him to be with the big club by year end.

And he is still very raw and very young. He's not JBJ.

We just haven't had multiple top prospects like these in the minors since maybe the 1915 era or so. Yeah, to me that is the situation. Better than the Rice / Lynn years? Maybe. Better than Ellsbury/Buchholz? Maybe. Throw in the overall depth of great young talent with Bogaerts/ Swihart/Owens/Webster/Ranaudo/Barnes/Bradley/Iglesias/Cechinni...etc. and this team has an underated farm IMO. We will see. I'm excited for the future.

I also think the Farrell signing is kind of similar to Belichick's situation. A key component for this overall mix in terms of running the operation but also in evaluating talent and developing talent. He's a 2nd GM.  He may need a really strong bench coach ( I don't know ) but he is a great guy to have in the organization and I think he will do well.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Final positional player reviews...outfielders. A starting outfield of Bradley, Ellsbury and Victorino could well be the best defensive outfield in MLB. Whether or not Victorino can hit enough for a corner outfielder remains to be seen, but any outfield that features three centerfielders can really run balls down.

Bradley Jr....have to start with the talk of the camp; quite simply he has been the best player on the team this spring! If he does stay in AAA to start the season (to protect his free-agent clock) or does it after Ortiz returns, once here for good he will be a fan-favorite for years to come. He hits the ball hard with gap power. He has great plate discipline but he will strike out as most hitters who work counts will do. He will hit more home runs on the road than at fenway be he will tattoo the wall for doubles. He hits lefties as well as righties. It seems a waste to play him in left in Fenway but he probably doesn't yet have the cache to displace eight-digit-dollar outfielders yet. When Ellsbury came up I remember thinking we have never had a player like him in my memory. Bradley Jr. looks to be everything I thought Ellsbury would become and then some. Before his days are done he will win batting titles and gold gloves and maybe grow into 15-20 HR per year power, perfect in the leadoff or three hole in your lineup. And watching him break on balls in the outfield is a joy. He did have a couple errors in ST so there is still some growing and better concentration needed.

Ellsbury...He woke up about ten days ago and started playing like the guy he should be, getting on base, hitting to left, turning singles into doubles and playing a great center field. I can't help but think he's gone after this year (Bradley's maturity makes it even more certain) but what a joy it would be to have both him and Bradley roaming the outfield and top of the order for years to come. His arm is still awful and he is not attempting too many steals, but I think he'll run more once the bell rings on Monday. As for his power, I think he's almost more effective in this lineup with 12-15 homers and a higher OBP. But homers to right at Jet Blue are rare indeed as the winds howl in so the park plays even longer than the longest RF in the AL.

Victorino...didn't see as much of him as I would have liked because of the WBC but what I did see warrants a mixed review. Defensively he's very good; tracks balls very well, good speed still and he has a very good and accurate arm. Offensively he is two very different hitters and I'm not sure if this has always been the case or not. Right-handed he drives the ball and will wear out the wall and hit a few bombs over it, but left-handed he is a slap hitter trying to beat out infield hits to the ledt side; at least that's what I've seen this spring. He's an outstanding base runner with good speed still and seems like a guy who enjoys the game and plays hard all the time.

Gomes...has hit with much more consistency than I expected. Obviously he has power but he has shown a willingness to slap singles to right in RBI situations if he gets pitched away. He has also been running on hit-and-runs and is a much better baserunner than I thought. He is probably best suited for DH and will get most of his time there before Ortiz is ready, but will put up pretty big HR and RBI numbers if gets 400 or more ABs. His defense is poor at best; he can be hidden in left at home but in bigger ballparks he will be a liability.

Nava...It's hard not to like this kid. He's had a good spring, even hitting right-handed better than I expected. He has become an adequate outfielder, best suited for left field, and the way he grinds out at bats could be a valuable pinch-hitter for Iglesias if we are behind late. He was also impressive in limited time filling in for Napoli at first. Gotta love a guy who seems as if he'd do anything to help the team. Not for nothing, but I met him in person and he was very kind and took time to talk to my wheel-chair bound father-in-law. A good way to win points with me.

Carp...as I wrote on the infielder review I don't know how he made the team. He hasn't hit, he's a weak outfielder at best and Sweeney, who also didn't hit, is a much better outfielder and wouldn't have cost us any compensation to Seattle. Maybe Carp is only here while Ortiz recuperates??

Others...Of the kids I saw, Linares has some pop and a strong arm but is slow-footed and not much of a defender. Hazelbaker looks like the best all round outfielder of the group. I never saw Brentz, unfortunately. Of the other invitees, Maier was a solid player but only factors in as deep depth and is not young enough to be a prospect anymore. Among the very young, a guy named Bermudez (sp?) was pretty impressive in limited time.

Is this a playoff-bound outfield? Defensively with Ells between Bradley and Victorino it is. But offensively where are the home runs going to come from? Gomes will hit more than 20 if he gets 400 ABs. The other three may not hit 20 between them. Both Bradley and Ellsbury are capable of hitting .300 and getting on base and making things happen. Victorino is a wild-card. If he can get close to his old Philly production then this outfield can contend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just think there is almost no chance for Bogaerts to be a 1st baseman any time soon. Maybe in his late 30's. The kid is athletic as heck and probably will be brought up as a SS. If he is anywhere near average defensively he probably is a potential all star with his bat. We are looking at a near Mike Trout type level bat. Not that good of course but the potential to be in the same conversation. And he can play SS?

My God, why put him at 1st? He should be able to hold down 3rd and be at least average defensively or be a corner OF. He has decent wheels.

If he's a better fielder at 3B than Middlebrooks, the we move Midds to 1B or trade him.

Bogaerts may never make the transition to mlb level pitching. He is by no means a slam dunk but those ISO ratings at such a young age are what put him in the near Mike Trout conversation. I have no idea if he makes the transition but to me is is probably a better overall prospect to Hanley Ramirez at least in regard to his minor league indications. He could of course completely flop but early indications are tremendous. If he develops anywhere near his potential he will be a major contributor, and everyone says he is a positive, hard working kid. Combine solid intangibles with his obvious native physical talent and he is a potential superstar. We need to be careful with him though. He is too valuable to risk.

Next year will be absolutely huge for that kid. He will struggle some but if he continues to progress as he has in the past people right here on this forum will want to slot him somewhere in the lineup by year end. I know that is unlikely, as he is so raw, and I project his developmet path actually does slow down a lot this year but if that kid continues to tear it up people will be clamoring for him to be with the big club by year end.

And he is still very raw and very young. He's not JBJ.

People thought JBJ was raw just months ago.

We just haven't had multiple top prospects like these in the minors since maybe the 1915 era or so. Yeah, to me that is the situation. Better than the Rice / Lynn years? Maybe. Better than Ellsbury/Buchholz? Maybe. Throw in the overall depth of great young talent with Bogaerts/ Swihart/Owens/Webster/Ranaudo/Barnes/Bradley/Iglesias/Cechinni...etc. and this team has an underated farm IMO. We will see. I'm excited for the future.

I also think the Farrell signing is kind of similar to Belichick's situation. A key component for this overall mix in terms of running the operation but also in evaluating talent and developing talent. He's a 2nd GM.  He may need a really strong bench coach ( I don't know ) but he is a great guy to have in the organization and I think he will do well.  

I hope so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Final positional player reviews...outfielders. A starting outfield of Bradley, Ellsbury and Victorino could well be the best defensive outfield in MLB. Whether or not Victorino can hit enough for a corner outfielder remains to be seen, but any outfield that features three centerfielders can really run balls down.

Bradley Jr....have to start with the talk of the camp; quite simply he has been the best player on the team this spring! If he does stay in AAA to start the season (to protect his free-agent clock) or does it after Ortiz returns, once here for good he will be a fan-favorite for years to come. He hits the ball hard with gap power. He has great plate discipline but he will strike out as most hitters who work counts will do. He will hit more home runs on the road than at fenway be he will tattoo the wall for doubles. He hits lefties as well as righties. It seems a waste to play him in left in Fenway but he probably doesn't yet have the cache to displace eight-digit-dollar outfielders yet. When Ellsbury came up I remember thinking we have never had a player like him in my memory. Bradley Jr. looks to be everything I thought Ellsbury would become and then some. Before his days are done he will win batting titles and gold gloves and maybe grow into 15-20 HR per year power, perfect in the leadoff or three hole in your lineup. And watching him break on balls in the outfield is a joy. He did have a couple errors in ST so there is still some growing and better concentration needed.

Ellsbury...He woke up about ten days ago and started playing like the guy he should be, getting on base, hitting to left, turning singles into doubles and playing a great center field. I can't help but think he's gone after this year (Bradley's maturity makes it even more certain) but what a joy it would be to have both him and Bradley roaming the outfield and top of the order for years to come. His arm is still awful and he is not attempting too many steals, but I think he'll run more once the bell rings on Monday. As for his power, I think he's almost more effective in this lineup with 12-15 homers and a higher OBP. But homers to right at Jet Blue are rare indeed as the winds howl in so the park plays even longer than the longest RF in the AL.

Victorino...didn't see as much of him as I would have liked because of the WBC but what I did see warrants a mixed review. Defensively he's very good; tracks balls very well, good speed still and he has a very good and accurate arm. Offensively he is two very different hitters and I'm not sure if this has always been the case or not. Right-handed he drives the ball and will wear out the wall and hit a few bombs over it, but left-handed he is a slap hitter trying to beat out infield hits to the ledt side; at least that's what I've seen this spring. He's an outstanding base runner with good speed still and seems like a guy who enjoys the game and plays hard all the time.

Gomes...has hit with much more consistency than I expected. Obviously he has power but he has shown a willingness to slap singles to right in RBI situations if he gets pitched away. He has also been running on hit-and-runs and is a much better baserunner than I thought. He is probably best suited for DH and will get most of his time there before Ortiz is ready, but will put up pretty big HR and RBI numbers if gets 400 or more ABs. His defense is poor at best; he can be hidden in left at home but in bigger ballparks he will be a liability.

Nava...It's hard not to like this kid. He's had a good spring, even hitting right-handed better than I expected. He has become an adequate outfielder, best suited for left field, and the way he grinds out at bats could be a valuable pinch-hitter for Iglesias if we are behind late. He was also impressive in limited time filling in for Napoli at first. Gotta love a guy who seems as if he'd do anything to help the team. Not for nothing, but I met him in person and he was very kind and took time to talk to my wheel-chair bound father-in-law. A good way to win points with me.

Carp...as I wrote on the infielder review I don't know how he made the team. He hasn't hit, he's a weak outfielder at best and Sweeney, who also didn't hit, is a much better outfielder and wouldn't have cost us any compensation to Seattle. Maybe Carp is only here while Ortiz recuperates??

Others...Of the kids I saw, Linares has some pop and a strong arm but is slow-footed and not much of a defender. Hazelbaker looks like the best all round outfielder of the group. I never saw Brentz, unfortunately. Of the other invitees, Maier was a solid player but only factors in as deep depth and is not young enough to be a prospect anymore. Among the very young, a guy named Bermudez (sp?) was pretty impressive in limited time.

Is this a playoff-bound outfield? Defensively with Ells between Bradley and Victorino it is. But offensively where are the home runs going to come from? Gomes will hit more than 20 if he gets 400 ABs. The other three may not hit 20 between them. Both Bradley and Ellsbury are capable of hitting .300 and getting on base and making things happen. Victorino is a wild-card. If he can get close to his old Philly production then this outfield can contend.

Great job here, jid.

On Linares, I have read he is a very good fielder. Just wondering...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, Linares may be a decent fielder but he is slow. Maybe he's very good at balls he gets to but he's a little thick around the middle to cover a lot of ground. He does have a good arm. And in left field at Fenway he doesn't need to cover ground but it does help if he can throw. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Many of the experts considering our prospects for the season are blinded by last year's results. The team of last year was a story of two teams, the under achievers prior to the trade deadline and the band of fill ins after the trde deadline. Let's compare to the 2011 version, a competitive group of players that fizzled at the end, yet still garnered 90 victories. First look at the transition spots; Napoli comes in to replace A-Gon's 27  117 .338, Adrian was an inconsistent power threat, a tremendous six week stretch puffed up his numbers, he had one dinger in April, and left many men on base, especially early on when they began in a funk. Napoli's hit chart for last season projects 20 homers at Fenway alone, and that's in less than a full season. Slight advantage; Napoli. At SS, the combination of Iggy/Drew has got to be better than  Marco Scutaro's 7 54 .299, and defensively it's a no-brainer, as Marco could barely throw the ball to first, Scutaro was the darling of the Giants revival, but he did that as a 2B. Advantage: Iggy/Drew. 3B is Middlebrooks over Youkilis' 17 80 .258 again both offensively and defensively advantage WMB. LF has the spectre of Carl Crawford's 11 56 .255 and whether it's Bradley Jr or Gomes Jonny, advantage goes clearly to the 2013 team. Slide over to RF and JD Drew played half the games and posted 4 22 .222, wow, that's worse then I remember! Victorino is a big upgrade over JD/D-Mac/Reddick. Finally, DH, if Ortiz recovers can he best 29 96 .309? Probably not, but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't. We still have Pedroia 21 91 .307 in 2011, that's seems reasonable, we still have Salty 16 56 .235 in 103 games, and then Ellsbury in CF, 32 105 .321 can he duplicate this? He's betting on himself, as he prepares to walk away as a FA, that's motivation enough for me. The SP is better, the BP is definately better. Forget about 2012, 2011 tells me things will be okay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Moon, JBJ was from a major college program with an extremely advanced batting approach and is definitely mlb ready in defense. There is really no comparison in terms of "rawness".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I am so ready for tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to work tomorrow. It's good to be the boss!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Where did moon go

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Where did moon go

Yeah, sometimes he doesn't post for a few hours...maybe he actually has a life outside here? :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Where did moon go

Yeah, sometimes he doesn't post for a few hours...maybe he actually has a life outside here? :-)

LOL   just waking him up

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

smart move BH

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Where did moon go

Are you kidding??  The guy is here day and night :)

Being on the west coast, I notice he's not around late at night..my time.  So, I assume that's when he sleeps his 2 or 3 hours a night..LOL

No offense by any of this, Moon.  I've always admired your knowledge and dedication.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Where did moon go

Being on the west coast, I notice he's not around late at night..my time.  So, I assume that's when he sleeps his 2 or 3 hours a night..LOL

No offense by any of this, Moon.  I've always admired your knowledge and dedication.

Beautiful Easter in the Burg?  The JBJ news made my Easter complete!  It's what makes the Burg tolerable for me  :)  Great place to raise kids, but after that???  We shall see....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Where did moon go

Beautiful Easter in the Burg?  The JBJ news made my Easter complete!  It's what makes the Burg tolerable for me  :)  Great place to raise kids, but after that???  We shall see....

Hey, I think it's beautiful here...one of the biggest, well kept secrets in the country...don't tell anyone. It'd be nice if an Olive Garden or Red Lobster opened up though.LOL

I don't think we've ever locked the doors to the house.

My biggest problem is keeping the raccoons out of the garden!  :)

Where are you again?  My pre-altzeimers is kicking in....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Where did moon go

Hey, I think it's beautiful here...one of the biggest, well kept secrets in the country...don't tell anyone. It'd be nice if an Olive Garden or Red Lobster opened up though.LOL

I think you're up river?  I'm down half mile west of the big city.  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Where did moon go

p.s.  I'm may be right behind you on the momory loss.....  no worries!  I can see a co-worker out of the regular workplace, and forget their dang name!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon, Linares may be a decent fielder but he is slow. Maybe he's very good at balls he gets to but he's a little thick around the middle to cover a lot of ground. He does have a good arm. And in left field at Fenway he doesn't need to cover ground but it does help if he can throw. 

I'm not doubting your assessment, but there are times that large guys can still be pretty fast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Moon, JBJ was from a major college program with an extremely advanced batting approach and is definitely mlb ready in defense. There is really no comparison in terms of "rawness".

JBJ certainly was thought of as less "raw" than Bogaerts, but my point was that players can advance faster than we imagine they might.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

JBJ certainly was thought of as less "raw" than Bogaerts, but my point was that players can advance faster than we imagine they might.

definitely. i had JBJ pegged for 2014 at the earliest (not counting his cup o' Joe late 2013). He's surprised everyone (maybe not Carnie) with how quickly he's caught on. Now let's hope we can see hi mand jacoby roam the OF for years to come.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where did moon go

No offense taken.

Luckily, I inherited the need for only 4-5 hours of sleep from my Dad. 

I do have a life, although many here may not believe it. The Sox are my passion. I stopped following other sports very closely a few years back, but never baseball and the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Where did moon go

Hey, you'll have to stop by sometime.  I'll throw a steak on the grill, we'll have a beer, and watch a game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

definitely. i had JBJ pegged for 2014 at the earliest (not counting his cup o' Joe late 2013). He's surprised everyone (maybe not Carnie) with how quickly he's caught on. Now let's hope we can see hi mand jacoby roam the OF for years to come.

I know you really want Ells back, and I do too, but I think his cost will be too high, and I like our OF prospects to make an impact by 2014-2015.

I'm not high on Victorino and think that 3 years was a big mistake. I see this for our future, assuming we don't acquire anyone else and lose Ellsbury:

LF                   CF                      RF                        OF

2014:  Linares/Nava  Bradley/Kalish   Victorino/Brentz  Hassan/Hazelbaker

2015:  Linares/Hassan  Bradley/Kalish  Brentz/Victorino  Hazelbaker/de la Cruz

2016:  Brentz/Linares   Bradley/Kalish   de la Cruz/Hazelbaker/Hassan

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Where did moon go

Hey, you'll have to stop by sometime.  I'll throw a steak on the grill, we'll have a beer, and watch a game.

That would be great one of these days :) 

Talk to ya soon amp

Sections
Shortcuts