A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Gotta love that outfield on defense, gotta love that bullpen too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Seriously, I loved the way the team played; aggressive on the bases, good solid at bats, working counts, clutch hits and clutch pitches. But the most encouraging aspect of the game was the childlike enthusiasm displayed by everyone, whether in the lineup or not, even the allegedly stoic Japanese newcomer was pumped. 

The only negative I saw was Lester slowing the game down when he got in trouble after allowing Youk's foul double (after what should have been a called third strike) and Wells' walk (also after what should have been a called third strike). His approach to the catcher, batting ninth, was too defensive and it cost him two runs. But the bigger picture is that when he pitched like that last year he failed miserably, and when he has worked quickly and aggressively he has dominated. I know it's a nit-pick, but when you have such a decisive win there really isn't much else to complain about. And besides, I've been way too optimistic throughout this pre-season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Seriously, I loved the way the team played; aggressive on the bases, good solid at bats, working counts, clutch hits and clutch pitches. But the most encouraging aspect of the game was the childlike enthusiasm displayed by everyone, whether in the lineup or not, even the allegedly stoic Japanese newcomer was pumped. 

The only negative I saw was Lester slowing the game down when he got in trouble after allowing Youk's foul double (after what should have been a called third strike) and Wells' walk (also after what should have been a called third strike). His approach to the catcher, batting ninth, was too defensive and it cost him two runs. But the bigger picture is that when he pitched like that last year he failed miserably, and when he has worked quickly and aggressively he has dominated. I know it's a nit-pick, but when you have such a decisive win there really isn't much else to complain about. And besides, I've been way too optimistic throughout this pre-season.

Showing balance, my friend...balance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

anyone think D Ross would have topped 3 walks and a double if he played today?

IK it's just one game but i think it's a sign of things to come (and what the pro-salty crowd has been pining for). He has said he is working on his swing VS lefties and on his discipline overall this ST and it showed in todays game. he had 4 great ABs. laid off of pitches he normally would have been fooled by and against one of the toughest lefties in the game no less.

2 thumbs up for Salty. Keep up the good work salt-man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nice start to the season. Gotta love it.

I'm watching it for the second time right now. This is fun!

LOL... My wife and I watched it a second time also.  I thought we were the only nut cases.:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nice start to the season. Gotta love it.

I'm watching it for the second time right now. This is fun!

LOL... My wife and I watched it a second time also.  I thought we were the only nut cases.:)

i'll probably watch it again tomorrow since there is no game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How bout Iglesias with three hits? Wow. Nice start and good energy from Gomes and Victorino. Overall, heck of an opener. Let's go 162-0!!! Woo-hoo...back on the bandwagon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe the best part about today was not having to see Bobby Valentine make his idiotic expressions from the dugout. The BV era went 4 months too long, but good to see Farrell start off with a victory...He's a quality guy who the players will listen to and hopefully respond to.

If BV were manager, you would have heard this after the win, "Well, not sure why Lester looked fatigue. He only threw 5 innings. He's better than that."....thank god, that clown act is gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Maybe the best part about today was not having to see Bobby Valentine make his idiotic expressions from the dugout. The BV era went 4 months too long, but good to see Farrell start off with a victory...He's a quality guy who the players will listen to and hopefully respond to.

If BV were manager, you would have heard this after the win, "Well, not sure why Lester looked fatigue. He only threw 5 innings. He's better than that."....thank god, that clown act is gone.

Good to see you here, Danny.

I thought Shane V looked a little shaky out in RF, but he made the plays.

Nice start to the season. Take it to 'em next game, guys!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

A good thing about today's game was the fact that the Sox scored eight runs without getting anything from Napoli and Middlebrooks. I expect both to put up numbers so it's always good when a team can score a bunch of runs w/o getting production from the four-five spots.

I'll say Wednesday both get big hits that prove key.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

A good thing about today's game was the fact that the Sox scored eight runs without getting anything from Napoli and Middlebrooks. I expect both to put up numbers so it's always good when a team can score a bunch of runs w/o getting production from the four-five spots.

I'll say Wednesday both get big hits that prove key.

buch will also pitch a great game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm certainly happy Iggy got three hits and don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I just wish the hits were a little more of the line drive variety.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Bradley had one of the greatest hitless games ever. :-)

That play he made on Cano's fly ball to left was just short of amazing. The play of the game to me though, was when Bradley beat the throw to second on that grounder to SS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I was looking at Uehara's stats.  In 54 innings with Texas he had 66 K's and 4 BB's.  You don't see a 16.5 K/BB ratio too often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Amp and Moon, I also watched the game again. Sadly my wife has lost some of her fandom since Papelbon left though!

I'm Pollyanna here, being one of the most optimistic of our group regarding this year but I was just called Mr. Negative on another thread. Oh well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I saw the encore game on the YES network.  

Bradley is so patient at the plate.  

Ellsbury is off to a great start.  I'm sure Scott Boras is happy.   LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I was looking at Uehara's stats.  In 54 innings with Texas he had 66 K's and 4 BB's.  You don't see a 16.5 K/BB ratio too often.

He was a major sign. A solid high quality sign. No doubt. If Bard comes back strong, the pen is off the charts good maybe. Even without Bard this is a solid pen.

Again, I think this team has been underated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Bradley had one of the greatest hitless games ever. :-)

That play he made on Cano's fly ball to left was just short of amazing. The play of the game to me though, was when Bradley beat the throw to second on that grounder to SS.

I like when he turned and ran to a spot on that play. It might have made the difference. A lot of guys never take their eyes off the ball. If he had tried that he wouldn't have made that catch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best signing of the winter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Packing up to head home tomorrow. Have to return the cable modem today so I'll be out of touch for 24 hours or so. Fort Myers was fun but it's time to get back home! Thanks to all for reading my blathering.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We will have to give you consultant fees next year Jidge!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Amp and Moon, I also watched the game again. Sadly my wife has lost some of her fandom since Papelbon left though!

I'm Pollyanna here, being one of the most optimistic of our group regarding this year but I was just called Mr. Negative on another thread. Oh well.

I didnt think your post was negative. Those guys are known pull hitters, like Ross was last year. Iggy sprays the ball, although he didnt yesterday. Naps and Gomes are usually cf to LF hitters and will smack one down the RF line every so often. Its just the way they hit.

I understand your point about going opposite field, but some power bats, like Papi, are just better at it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Vic is going to be better than a lot of people here think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Robinson Cano has left Boras and will hire Jay-Z as his new agent.  

This is no April Fool's joke.   LOL

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9124684/robinson-cano-new-york-yankees-switching-scott-boras-jay-z

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Redsoxprospects,

I noticed the same thing about Bradley on the replay--he saw the ball, turned his back, ran hard, then turned back to the ball to make the catch.  Very impressive.  He seems to exude confidence. 

Sections
Shortcuts