A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I was looking at Uehara's stats.  In 54 innings with Texas he had 66 K's and 4 BB's.  You don't see a 16.5 K/BB ratio too often.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Amp and Moon, I also watched the game again. Sadly my wife has lost some of her fandom since Papelbon left though!

I'm Pollyanna here, being one of the most optimistic of our group regarding this year but I was just called Mr. Negative on another thread. Oh well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I saw the encore game on the YES network.  

Bradley is so patient at the plate.  

Ellsbury is off to a great start.  I'm sure Scott Boras is happy.   LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I was looking at Uehara's stats.  In 54 innings with Texas he had 66 K's and 4 BB's.  You don't see a 16.5 K/BB ratio too often.

He was a major sign. A solid high quality sign. No doubt. If Bard comes back strong, the pen is off the charts good maybe. Even without Bard this is a solid pen.

Again, I think this team has been underated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Bradley had one of the greatest hitless games ever. :-)

That play he made on Cano's fly ball to left was just short of amazing. The play of the game to me though, was when Bradley beat the throw to second on that grounder to SS.

I like when he turned and ran to a spot on that play. It might have made the difference. A lot of guys never take their eyes off the ball. If he had tried that he wouldn't have made that catch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best signing of the winter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Packing up to head home tomorrow. Have to return the cable modem today so I'll be out of touch for 24 hours or so. Fort Myers was fun but it's time to get back home! Thanks to all for reading my blathering.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We will have to give you consultant fees next year Jidge!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Amp and Moon, I also watched the game again. Sadly my wife has lost some of her fandom since Papelbon left though!

I'm Pollyanna here, being one of the most optimistic of our group regarding this year but I was just called Mr. Negative on another thread. Oh well.

I didnt think your post was negative. Those guys are known pull hitters, like Ross was last year. Iggy sprays the ball, although he didnt yesterday. Naps and Gomes are usually cf to LF hitters and will smack one down the RF line every so often. Its just the way they hit.

I understand your point about going opposite field, but some power bats, like Papi, are just better at it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Vic is going to be better than a lot of people here think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Robinson Cano has left Boras and will hire Jay-Z as his new agent.  

This is no April Fool's joke.   LOL

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9124684/robinson-cano-new-york-yankees-switching-scott-boras-jay-z

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Redsoxprospects,

I noticed the same thing about Bradley on the replay--he saw the ball, turned his back, ran hard, then turned back to the ball to make the catch.  Very impressive.  He seems to exude confidence. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

I noticed the same thing about Bradley on the replay--he saw the ball, turned his back, ran hard, then turned back to the ball to make the catch.  Very impressive.  He seems to exude confidence. 

It was a very nice catch. 

Anyone think Ellsbury could have caught that one he almost dived for?

Close call.

The announcer said he did the right thing rather than risk a flub, but Shane was right there. Had he missed it, it wouldn't have gone far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

The announcer said he did the right thing rather than risk a flub, but Shane was right there. Had he missed it, it wouldn't have gone far.

i don't think he could've gotten to it even if he dove. the ball landed to his left so he would have had to dive pretty far and reach across his body to try and catch it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian?!?  I never heard of a vegetarian who is fat.   Nothing wrong with being fat but I find it hard to believe that he does not eat meat.   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian?!?  I never heard of a vegetarian who is fat.   Nothing wrong with being fat but I find it hard to believe that he does not eat meat.   LOL

dude probably eats a gallon of mashed potatoes a night and a pound of pasta

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

i don't think he could've gotten to it even if he dove. the ball landed to his left so he would have had to dive pretty far and reach across his body to try and catch it.

It looked like he got a good break on the ball, but the TV angle switched to the other camera at the wrong instant, and they never showed the replay with Ellsbury in the frame as the ball was hit, as they normally do on bang-bang plays.

It would have been a very difficult diving catch had he made it. I'm not criticizing him, but I do think that with the trajectory of the ball (not a lined shot), and Shane being right there to keep the ball from rolling for a triple, Ellsbury could have tried.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

It looked like he got a good break on the ball, but the TV angle switched to the other camera at the wrong instant, and they never showed the replay with Ellsbury in the frame as the ball was hit, as they normally do on bang-bang plays.

It would have been a very difficult diving catch had he made it. I'm not criticizing him, but I do think that with the trajectory of the ball (not a lined shot), and Shane being right there to keep the ball from rolling for a triple, Ellsbury could have tried.

the YES feed had a pretty good shot of the play but nothing definitive. If he did manage to catch that ball it would've been the play of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

the YES feed had a pretty good shot of the play but nothing definitive. If he did manage to catch that ball it would've been the play of the game.

Agrred.

And that is why I am not trying to be critical here. Ells played a good game: we won. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Why did Texas let Uehara go?  What stats, what a WHIP!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

Agrred.

And that is why I am not trying to be critical here. Ells played a good game: we won. 

I saw both the Yes feed and the ESPN feed. He didn't get a fast jump on it but he had a good stretch of running full speed. The ball was off the end of the bat making it difficult to read. My feeling is possibly he could have gotten a slightly better jump but no one would have run faster to that ball and several seconds of running was involved. He went straight towards it. And it was too far away to dive for IMO. 

My gut tells me Ellsbury is going to be fine this year and have a solid year. He doesn't look as big across the top any more though. He looks like he has lost some bulk but maybe I'm wrong. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Can't believe we wait forever for opening day and then they take a day off. I'm not happy!

It will be interesting to see how we do against Kuroda. I think Buchholz will be good. I'll pull a Softy and call a 4-3 win for us. A lot tougher call than his obvious call of yesterday.

Obviously the conditions are different for this game. We are facing a right handed pitcher who has had more recent success against us and we are not currently optimized against RH pitching. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

we displayed our need for his services made him a good offer. Meanwhile Texas was busy trying to coerce Hamilton to return to Texas. They likely didn't put much effort into resigning Koji while that ordeal was going on. So Uehara jumped at the chance. He will be an integral part of our BP this season if he can stay healthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Can't believe we wait forever for opening day and then they take a day off. I'm not happy!

It will be interesting to see how we do against Kuroda. I think Buchholz will be good. I'll pull a Softy and call a 4-3 win for us. A lot tougher call than his obvious call of yesterday.

Obviously the conditions are different for this game. We are facing a right handed pitcher who has had more recent success against us and we are not currently optimized against RH pitching. 

yeah what's up with the day off? i'm itching for some baseball lol got me all excited after that great win yesterday and now we have an unneeded day off.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

It's called free agency and a tighter budget, I guess.