A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I don't think they are looking at Tazawa as a starter, even though I see the appeal. He does have a range of pitches and he controls the game well. He has a lot of poise. Let's face it though, great Japanese starters have been rare in mlb. They are generally not a large race of people. They do not usually have that 96 mph fastball and up and their training usually involves throwing a ridiculous amount of innings before they even reach the majors making them a greater injury risk. History has not been kind to Japanese starters in mlb.

I understand that Darvish appears to be doing just fine but he is also an extremely large Japanese pitcher with exceptional stuff. He should be a solid starter in mlb for a long time but even his arm has a lot of wear and tear and he could implode even at some point. I wouldn't count on that any time soon though!

Tazawa had relatively little wear on his arm for a Japanese pitcher but he already has had elbow issues.

We should not fix what isn't broken. Leave him in the pen. We are going to have to develop our future starting pitcher depth with longer term options, through the draft in particular. Which we clearly are doing. We clearly have decided to focus on that approach. MLB starters are just not available at a reasonable price through free agency and via trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Starter durability seems to be a priority in this FO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nothing new for this character.

How about Tazawa being given the key set-up role so early in the season?

I wanted him to start, but I'm glad someone recognized this kid needs to be given a big chance this year.

Hes going to be a vital part of this BP and could even be a closer in another year or 2 if he continues the way hes going...

I think he may eventually go back to starting.

With all the promising starter we have right now, do you think that would be a good idea? I would imagine that would pretty much waste a year for him stretching him out and getting accustomed to starting again. That and I dont think he will be able to sustain 95+ MPH over 7+ innings which will make his secondary pitches less effective. That was his problem before, not enough seperation between pitches.

We'll have to see how it goes, but I think he could be a great closer.

I like using our best pitchers as starters. I still see SP'ing as our biggest weakness, both now, and 2 years from now when Lester, Dempster, and Lackey are done with their deals. We can't count on everyone of the prospects to be ready by then. Webster, DLR, Owens, and Barnes all have a nice shot, but counting on 3 of them to fill those voids is a stretch.

Extending Hanrahan might take away the closing role from Taz, and it's not bad having a set-up man that throws like Taz, but to me, he's better as a SP or closer (possibly).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My sense is that they like the idea of bringing in Bailey when maybe there are some men on in the 6th or 7th as that is in many ways a more important gig. That is a recent trend in general in mlb and I think it makes sense. They nailed the door shut at an important time. One could make a good case that it is even more important than the closer role quite often.

Good point. Bailey is used to the role of coming in during tight situations, and doesn't have to start off the 8th inning.

They really have 4 or 5 potential closers and setup guys. This provides the depth they appear to have given more consideration to recently. Maybe to them, it is a good value. A solid pen is perhaps more cost effective than trying to go out and buy a top rotation.

When Breslow returns, what gives?

I think they may be in a position at mid year to trade some of these guys to a contending team if appropriate. They may look at it as a way to obtain future prospects. Think about it. If they need depth in the pen they will have it and that resource becomes even more valuable since they went out and obtained twice as many great relievers as most teams have. Having an excess of great arms in the pen allows them a great way to obtain future prospect talent if things do not work out this year.

Our pen looks great on paper, but paper pens sometimes don't match reality. I'm very confident in this pen though. The depth will help, if somone falters.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Starter durability seems to be a priority in this FO.

Taz may be stronger now than before the injury. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

posted this the other day when i was banned. Just wanted to make sure it didn't slip through the cracks.

anyone think D Ross would have topped 3 walks and a double if he played today?

IK it's just one game but i think it's a sign of things to come (and what the pro-salty crowd has been pining for). He has said he is working on his swing VS lefties and on his discipline overall this ST and it showed in todays game. he had 4 great ABs. laid off of pitches he normally would have been fooled by and against one of the toughest lefties in the game no less.

2 thumbs up for Salty. Keep up the good work salt-man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

posted this the other day when i was banned. Just wanted to make sure it didn't slip through the cracks.

IK it's just one game but i think it's a sign of things to come (and what the pro-salty crowd has been pining for). He has said he is working on his swing VS lefties and on his discipline overall this ST and it showed in todays game. he had 4 great ABs. laid off of pitches he normally would have been fooled by and against one of the toughest lefties in the game no less.

I'll admit, I thought Ross should have started vs CC. Salty looked great. Loved the walks.

He also blocked a lot of nasty breaking balls in the dirt by Lester.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't get today's lineup. We are trying to win this game aren't we. This is like a Cumbaya lineup...everyone gets to play. 

Ciriaco against a RH pitcher?

Then again, they did list 11 players in the lineup!

Victorino 4-18, Ellsbury 5-15, Pedroia 6-14, Ciriaco 3-12, Salty 2-11, Nava 2-8, Gomes 0-8, Carp 2-6, Napoli 1-5, Iglesias 1-3, Middlebrooks 0-3

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'll admit, I thought Ross should have started vs CC. Salty looked great. Loved the walks.

IK you did, i was tweaking you about it monday night but you obviously didn't see it. That's how i noticed i got banned, i knew you wouldn't ignore my direct ribbing without some sort of acknowledgement.

i was very impressed by Salty monday. hopefully it wasn't a fluke and his newfound discipline sticks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

IK you did, i was tweaking you about it monday night but you obviously didn't see it. That's how i noticed i got banned, i knew you wouldn't ignore my direct ribbing without some sort of acknowledgement.

i was very impressed by Salty monday. hopefully it wasn't a fluke and his newfound discipline sticks.

I don't shy away from my past positions like many here. I was wrong about Ross for opening day.

I have been a big supporter of Salty, though, since mid May of 2012. I am the only one I know of, who wanted us to extend him before this year started. His defense has continued to improve, and there is till room for improvement on offense as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Nothing new for this character.

How about Tazawa being given the key set-up role so early in the season?

I wanted him to start, but I'm glad someone recognized this kid needs to be given a big chance this year.

Hes going to be a vital part of this BP and could even be a closer in another year or 2 if he continues the way hes going...

I think he may eventually go back to starting.

With all the promising starter we have right now, do you think that would be a good idea? I would imagine that would pretty much waste a year for him stretching him out and getting accustomed to starting again. That and I dont think he will be able to sustain 95+ MPH over 7+ innings which will make his secondary pitches less effective. That was his problem before, not enough seperation between pitches.

We'll have to see how it goes, but I think he could be a great closer.

I like using our best pitchers as starters. I still see SP'ing as our biggest weakness, both now, and 2 years from now when Lester, Dempster, and Lackey are done with their deals. We can't count on everyone of the prospects to be ready by then. Webster, DLR, Owens, and Barnes all have a nice shot, but counting on 3 of them to fill those voids is a stretch.

Extending Hanrahan might take away the closing role from Taz, and it's not bad having a set-up man that throws like Taz, but to me, he's better as a SP or closer (possibly).

The only way the Sox don't extend Lester before next season is if he completely implodes this season.  The Sox are well aware that very few top of the rotation starters make it to free agency anymore, and the guys that do are ridiculously overpaid.  It was one of the reasons it took the Sox all of about 3 seconds to reject the Will Myers trade.  My guess is that deal gets done before the end of this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I don't shy away from my past positions like many here. I was wrong about Ross for opening day.

I have been a big supporter of Salty, though, since mid May of 2012. I am the only one I know of, who wanted us to extend him before this year started. His defense has continued to improve, and there is till room for improvement on offense as well.

Hey Moon, I noticed something from Salty toward the end of last year when there wasn't much reason to watch, but I still did.  After he hurt his back, he came back a little bit different of a hitter.  He wasn't trying to hit the ball 600 ft every time.  He was a bit more aware of solid contact and shortening his swing a little.  He was going to the opposite field a bit more.  He seemed to have a little bit better grasp of the strike zone and was working the count better.  He is only 27, which is still young for a catcher whose first responsibility is to manage the game and the staff.  Sometimes offense is the last thing to come.  I believe in Salty and am predicting a big year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i know you don't moon. which is why i was so irked that you weren't responding lol. I was like, either moon put me to ignore or i've been banned. and since you don't put anyone on ignore that left me with banned.

i was open to the idea of extending salty (i definitely believe in him) but i thought the smart (and safe) route was letting this year play out, see how much he has improved, see how much lava and the other C prospects improve and make the decision then. There is a chance they still extend him before the season is over. especially if he gets off to a good start and shows how much he has improved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i know you don't moon. which is why i was so irked that you weren't responding lol. I was like, either moon put me to ignore or i've been banned. and since you don't put anyone on ignore that left me with banned.

I put softy on ignore once for about a week or two, but I found myself responding to his posts anyway as they were responded to by others, so I could still read his nonsense.

i was open to the idea of extending salty (i definitely believe in him) but i thought the smart (and safe) route was letting this year play out, see how much he has improved, see how much lava and the other C prospects improve and make the decision then. There is a chance they still extend him before the season is over. especially if he gets off to a good start and shows how much he has improved.

I think he's going to have a better season and will be more expensive than if we extended him before now. He could always be traded if things change.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

that's true. with all of our other catchers 2ish years away (unless Lava somehow puts it all together) i can see them extending him on a 3 year deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Glad to see Nava batting 2nd tonight instead of SV.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Nava has produced. This is looking like a sharp team, starting with quality pitching. I like our chances.

Yankees 15 games out by the break?

A guy can wish!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Yank catchers look like AAA quality to me. Both of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's not just injuries with the Yanks. Their current SS stinks. Bad decisions. Swings at everything. NEVER BE ANYTHING.

Overbay cut by us at 1st.

Youk at 3rd is average at best at this point in his career.

Catcher might be their weakest position.

Their OF has near zero pop.

Starting pitching is their strength. Any injuries there and they don't have the depth to deal well with it. And their pen is not nearly as good as the Sox. 

Even when their top players come back, they might be 10-15 games down by the time they get there. This is an ugly team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Even when their top players come back, they might be 10-15 games down by the time they get there. This is an ugly team.

They look bad but it's very early. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

They look bad but it's very early. 

The Yankees will not fade away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's early, and the sample size is tiny, but look at these OBPs after 2 games (WOW!):

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

I'm not bragging after just 2 games, but I did say that a Nava-Gomes platoon in LF might make that position the best OBP position on the team.

JBJ is out there to start the season, but Gomes vs LHPs and Nava vs RHPs can really put up some great numbers: DH, LF or wherever!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It's early, and the sample size is tiny, but look at these OBPs after 2 games (WOW!):

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

I'm not bragging after just 2 games, but I did say that a Nava-Gomes platoon in LF might make that position the best OBP position on the team.

JBJ is out there to start the season, but Gomes vs LHPs and Nava vs RHPs can really put up some great numbers: DH, LF or wherever!

even SV is putting up numbers bs RHP and salty is doing good VS LHP

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

even SV is putting up numbers bs RHP and salty is doing good VS LHP

Heh heh...very early samples.  But Victorino looks to be swinging the bat well coming out of the blocks after doing nothing in spring games.

Sections
Shortcuts