A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

posted this the other day when i was banned. Just wanted to make sure it didn't slip through the cracks.

anyone think D Ross would have topped 3 walks and a double if he played today?

IK it's just one game but i think it's a sign of things to come (and what the pro-salty crowd has been pining for). He has said he is working on his swing VS lefties and on his discipline overall this ST and it showed in todays game. he had 4 great ABs. laid off of pitches he normally would have been fooled by and against one of the toughest lefties in the game no less.

2 thumbs up for Salty. Keep up the good work salt-man.

I'll admit, I thought Ross should have started vs CC. Salty looked great. Loved the walks.

He also blocked a lot of nasty breaking balls in the dirt by Lester.

IK you did, i was tweaking you about it monday night but you obviously didn't see it. That's how i noticed i got banned, i knew you wouldn't ignore my direct ribbing without some sort of acknowledgement.

i was very impressed by Salty monday. hopefully it wasn't a fluke and his newfound discipline sticks.

I don't shy away from my past positions like many here. I was wrong about Ross for opening day.

I have been a big supporter of Salty, though, since mid May of 2012. I am the only one I know of, who wanted us to extend him before this year started. His defense has continued to improve, and there is till room for improvement on offense as well.

i know you don't moon. which is why i was so irked that you weren't responding lol. I was like, either moon put me to ignore or i've been banned. and since you don't put anyone on ignore that left me with banned.

i was open to the idea of extending salty (i definitely believe in him) but i thought the smart (and safe) route was letting this year play out, see how much he has improved, see how much lava and the other C prospects improve and make the decision then. There is a chance they still extend him before the season is over. especially if he gets off to a good start and shows how much he has improved.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't shy away from my past positions like many here. I was wrong about Ross for opening day.

I have been a big supporter of Salty, though, since mid May of 2012. I am the only one I know of, who wanted us to extend him before this year started. His defense has continued to improve, and there is till room for improvement on offense as well.

i know you don't moon. which is why i was so irked that you weren't responding lol. I was like, either moon put me to ignore or i've been banned. and since you don't put anyone on ignore that left me with banned.

I put softy on ignore once for about a week or two, but I found myself responding to his posts anyway as they were responded to by others, so I could still read his nonsense.

i was open to the idea of extending salty (i definitely believe in him) but i thought the smart (and safe) route was letting this year play out, see how much he has improved, see how much lava and the other C prospects improve and make the decision then. There is a chance they still extend him before the season is over. especially if he gets off to a good start and shows how much he has improved.

I think he's going to have a better season and will be more expensive than if we extended him before now. He could always be traded if things change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

that's true. with all of our other catchers 2ish years away (unless Lava somehow puts it all together) i can see them extending him on a 3 year deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Glad to see Nava batting 2nd tonight instead of SV.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Nava has produced. This is looking like a sharp team, starting with quality pitching. I like our chances.

Yankees 15 games out by the break?

A guy can wish!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Yank catchers look like AAA quality to me. Both of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's not just injuries with the Yanks. Their current SS stinks. Bad decisions. Swings at everything. NEVER BE ANYTHING.

Overbay cut by us at 1st.

Youk at 3rd is average at best at this point in his career.

Catcher might be their weakest position.

Their OF has near zero pop.

Starting pitching is their strength. Any injuries there and they don't have the depth to deal well with it. And their pen is not nearly as good as the Sox. 

Even when their top players come back, they might be 10-15 games down by the time they get there. This is an ugly team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Even when their top players come back, they might be 10-15 games down by the time they get there. This is an ugly team.

They look bad but it's very early. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

They look bad but it's very early. 

The Yankees will not fade away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's early, and the sample size is tiny, but look at these OBPs after 2 games (WOW!):

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

I'm not bragging after just 2 games, but I did say that a Nava-Gomes platoon in LF might make that position the best OBP position on the team.

JBJ is out there to start the season, but Gomes vs LHPs and Nava vs RHPs can really put up some great numbers: DH, LF or wherever!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

It's early, and the sample size is tiny, but look at these OBPs after 2 games (WOW!):

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

I'm not bragging after just 2 games, but I did say that a Nava-Gomes platoon in LF might make that position the best OBP position on the team.

JBJ is out there to start the season, but Gomes vs LHPs and Nava vs RHPs can really put up some great numbers: DH, LF or wherever!

even SV is putting up numbers bs RHP and salty is doing good VS LHP

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Heh heh...very early samples.  But Victorino looks to be swinging the bat well coming out of the blocks after doing nothing in spring games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

So far-so good.

I never thought our offense would be an issue, but this is nice so far without Papi and Drew helping the offense.

Good to see Lester and Buch start strong. The confidence level is growing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Nava   .800

Salty    .600

Gomes .600

Iggy    .556

JBJ      .500

Ells      .455

SV       .364

Pedey .364

Midds  .200

Naps   .100

So far-so good.

I never thought our offense would be an issue, but this is nice so far without Papi and Drew helping the offense.

Good to see Lester and Buch start strong. The confidence level is growing.

let's hope dempster keeps it going!

we are facing OMAR pettite tomorrow so i am not really worried lol maybe Ells will steal home against him again!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sakty looked good behind the plate tonight.  Seemed to be framing the pitches pretty good and giving encouragement to Buch and all that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Sakty looked good behind the plate tonight.  Seemed to be framing the pitches pretty good and giving encouragement to Buch and all that.

OK at the plate. 2 bad Ks but 2 good hits. 1 RBI and a run scored. not too shabby for the salt man

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Roy Halladay with 9 Ks in 10 outs tonight. Where are all the posters who value K's so very much?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Roy Halladay with 9 Ks in 10 outs tonight. Where are all the posters who value K's so very much?

i value doc Halladay.....

close enough?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

moon any plays tonight drew would not have made?? i didn't see any.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There was one sure fire play Iggy made that Drew only dreams of making, but Naps did not snag the grounder throw by Iggy, and they wrongly ruled it a hit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

There was one sure fire play Iggy made that Drew only dreams of making, but Naps did not snag the grounder throw by Iggy, and they wrongly ruled it a hit.

the DP ball?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, during ST it seemed obvious they had a lot in the pen, but now I'm nervous about trading anyone at mid year.  Maybe if we're out of it, but if not, one or two sudden injuries and our strength could disappear.  If Bard finds himself and could be his former self, then I would be ok with trading him or someone else.  I'm even a little nervous about trading Aceves because he can take on multiple roles, but if he goes, I think Taz can be him.

Salty was crazy about the low outside pitch last summer.  If he can overcome that it will solve about 90% of his problems.

2-0.  I'd forgotten what it felt like to start the year like that.  Have we got a bunch of scrappy dirt dogs here?  If this goes well and Ells likes his new mates, anyone think there's a chance he wants to stay?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Man, two games into the season and I'm on a natural dopamine rush!

The attitude is totally different than last year...I mean totally.

Something the wife noticed which was interesting is the fact that our players this year giving the stand up or slide signals on players coming in from third.  I remember distinctly last year some players(I can't remember who) just standing there and not motioning anything.  At the time, I thought it was a very negative attitude to have.

The reaction of the dugout after WM flied real deep to center was also great.

In essence, it's great to see the cohesiveness.  I just hope it all continues during losing streaks.  It's a long season.

I hope some of this attitude rubs off on Aceves.  I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I wouldn't want to see a rotten apple, attitude-wise, contaminate the whole barrel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

the DP ball?

NO, Iggy dove, got up, and threw an easy grounder to Naps, who muffed it. It was a slow runner who would have been out.

Sections
Shortcuts