A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Hassan and Britton are definite DFA candidates. And what does it take to see Mike Carp get an AB? If he isn't a DFA candidate I don't know who is.

A 13 run lead!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I know it must seem like I'm bashing Linares, but I'm just telling you what I've seen. I actually like his bat, but he is not a patient hitter, something this organization values. And he is nothing like the other outfielders in their organization who can all run. Couple that with his age, a good 5-6 years older than your average "prospect" and you have a candidate for the rule 5 draft next year. If the Sox need to go to Pawtucket for another outfielder, Maier (who has considerable MLB experience) and/or Hazelbaker would probably get called before Linares, unless of course he catches fire for the Pawsox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Small Sample Size fun:

Salty's CERA after 4 games

2.50 Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, I think RS nation has been lucky with Papi and injuries.  The only thing I remember was that bone in his  hand (hamate?) as a major cause of lost time.  But I think the age and extra weight at this stage of his career may cause any injury to be more taxing.  I'm hoping he comes back soon and helps like last year.  This last contract was for two years?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to tom-uk's comment:

What the ... Price, Hamels, Dickey, and Strasburg all shelled.

Carnie, great to see you back !

But, NO , darn it , on Cy Young for Jon Lester ! Recall my earlier prediction on Sox starters, Felix the Cat Doubront winning 20 + games, contending for C.Y. award, pitching like another Teddy Higuera. And so far my forecast for 97 wins looking absolutely prescient.

Can anyone see S. Drew playing some leftfield or dh after coming back ? Can't bench / send down our best hitter, now can we ?

And Lester looks like an early Cy Young candidate. Go figure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Britton has the stuff but also has never produced. Plus the DUI now. He is a DFA candidate. Or a rule 5 soon.

Rule 5 does not apply to 40-man roster members.

Rule 5 means we are going to lose him at some point. Should we let Ranaudo or Workman go instead? At some point we don't protect Britton unless things change soon. I'm not saing let him go now but to me, he, Carp and Hassan are all fringe level mlb plaers at best. I'd trade Hassan or Britton. ASAP. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Hassan and Britton are definite DFA candidates.

Drake Britton is a 23 year old lefty starter who throws 93-95 with quality stats. You don't cut that to put a 28 year old corner OF who had a .321 OB average in AAA on the 40 man. A old, fat, no speed, no patience corner OF. There is no conspiracy here. The guy isn't that good.

Just because he is big, does not mean he is slow. He's got talent, and we really won't know what the top brass thinks of him until the day comes when he has to be protected on the 40 man or cut loose.

I agree, we should not DFA Britton.

I also like Hassan, and I think he deserves some more time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Will-Da-Beast.  moon has named him well.

Of course, moon also wanted to trade him for Gavin Floyd.  Sorry moon, but you knew I had to bring that up at some point... Wink

I haven't forgotten. I'm not afraid to own up, but I mentioned a couple dozen combinations to get Floyd- not many included "Will-da-beast". Part of the reason  was I see Bogaerts as a 3Bman not SS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, never even saw Hassan at ST.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

Hassan and Britton are definite DFA candidates.

Drake Britton is a 23 year old lefty starter who throws 93-95 with quality stats. You don't cut that to put a 28 year old corner OF who had a .321 OB average in AAA on the 40 man. A old, fat, no speed, no patience corner OF. There is no conspiracy here. The guy isn't that good.

Just because he is big, does not mean he is slow. He's got talent, and we really won't know what the top brass thinks of him until the day comes when he has to be protected on the 40 man or cut loose.

I agree, we should not DFA Britton.

I also like Hassan, and I think he deserves some more time.

The "no speed" quote was reffering to his minor league career steal record of 1 steal and 3 caught stealings. Defensively for a corner OFer he probably has good speed.

I also like Hassan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

I know it must seem like I'm bashing Linares, but I'm just telling you what I've seen. I actually like his bat, but he is not a patient hitter, something this organization values. And he is nothing like the other outfielders in their organization who can all run. Couple that with his age, a good 5-6 years older than your average "prospect" and you have a candidate for the rule 5 draft next year. If the Sox need to go to Pawtucket for another outfielder, Maier (who has considerable MLB experience) and/or Hazelbaker would probably get called before Linares, unless of course he catches fire for the Pawsox.

jid, you make some excellent point, and I love having batters with higher OBPs and pitches seen, but I always liked having one hitter who goes against the grain. I thought Adrian Beltre was like that. It seemed when the team was struggling against a certain type of pitcher, Beltre would take em deep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Moon, need your opinion on the Iggy/drew debate. What do you think about the play today? one in particular comes to mind, halfway-late in the game (do not recall the inning) Iggy took a few steps to his right and sort of "fell" on the ball. Think Drew makes that play? i've polled a few other posters about it with mixed results. Personally, i think he does because it wasn't so much a rangy play where Iggy has a vast advantage over him but it looked tough nonetheless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Small Sample Size fun:

Salty's CERA after 4 games

2.50 Laughing

It's a small sample size, but he looks very confident out there, and the pitchers seem to be on the same page. 

I'm sure there are many out there looking at Ross's CS% vs Salty's, but that is such a small part of the total package.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Will-Da-Beast.  moon has named him well.

Of course, moon also wanted to trade him for Gavin Floyd.  Sorry moon, but you knew I had to bring that up at some point... Wink

I haven't forgotten. I'm not afraid to own up, but I mentioned a couple dozen combinations to get Floyd- not many included "Will-da-beast". Part of the reason  was I see Bogaerts as a 3Bman not SS.

you included WMB in a trade for Gavin?? wow, musta missed that one. i figured if you were gonna trade WMB it would have been included in your ideas for J Upton (unless i missed that post too) since AZ wanted a 3Bman

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Moon, need your opinion on the Iggy/drew debate. What do you think about the play today? one in particular comes to mind, halfway-late in the game (do not recall the inning) Iggy took a few steps to his right and sort of "fell" on the ball. Think Drew makes that play? i've polled a few other posters about it with mixed results. Personally, i think he does because it wasn't so much a rangy play where Iggy has a vast advantage over him but it looked tough nonetheless.

I just started watching the game. I almost always watch it on tape delay so as to avoid comercials. I'll let you know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I just started watching the game. I almost always watch it on tape delay so as to avoid comercials. I'll let you know.

enjoy the THUNDAH

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Nearly every scribe in the country thinks that Iggy is a magician at SS and has better range, hands, arm, and reflexes than most others.  They all are wondering if he can hit as well as Drew. Why look for plays using a microscope to find him making a rare mistake? Why not just be happy with his fielding and hitting? Smile, be happy, it is later than you think.

since you are loosely posting about baseball i will indulge your trolling. It's not about finding a mistake in Iggys defensive play (he has 0 errors anyway). It's about judging how many plays he will make over Drew from a defensive standpoint over a full season. If it only turns out to be 5 or 6 over the course of a couple months like it was last season when we did the same comparison with Iggy/Aviles then that means Drew is a better option at SS due to the better bat while sacrificing 5 or 6 plays every few months.

now, back onto ignore you go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

enjoy the THUNDAH

Mef always kissing up to Moonslav. " I need your opinion ". Give me a break.  Iglesias is so far superior to Drew defensively that it should not even be discussed. Update : Iglesias hitting  .529 for Boston. Drew at .100 for Portland . I know , I know , small sample size. Small sample size is always used when it supports your position. Given the choice, would any GM in baseball take Drew over Iglesias ?  Can you even ask that question ? 

small sample size. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

enjoy the THUNDAH

Mef always kissing up to Moonslav. " I need your opinion ". Give me a break.  Iglesias is so far superior to Drew defensively that it should not even be discussed. Update : Iglesias hitting  .529 for Boston. Drew at .100 for Portland . I know , I know , small sample size. Small sample size is always used when it supports your position. Given the choice, would any GM in baseball take Drew over Iglesias ?  Can you even ask that question ? 

small sample size. 

i asked everyones opinion on the play. not just moon. maybe i'm just kissing up to everyone on the forum? Moon claimed that Iggy would make 60-100 more plays than Drew over the course of a season we are keeping track of plays that Iggy would make that Drew would not to see how accurate his claim (and the subsequent projections made from that claim) are. So far there have only been 2 plays. this could be #3. you don't like that i'm keeping track? nobodys forcing you to come to this thread

Also, if you could point out when i used small sample sizes to support my opinion like you claim then i would be grateful. I didn't even use Iggys .118 BA in the MLB last season to bash him because it was a small sample. I'll be waiting.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

enjoy the THUNDAH

small sample size. 

Moon is clearly one of the most respected posters here. Thats why his opinion is valued more than some others.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

There are about 10 mil. Red Sox fans in the Country and how many are losing sleep over the Drew vs. Iggy debate tonight. This is really weird.

Sure Pike. I know that debate has already kept me awake many nights already.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

enjoy the THUNDAH

small sample size. 

i asked everyones opinion on the play. not just moon. maybe i'm just kissing up to everyone on the forum? Moon claimed that Iggy would make 60-100 more plays than Drew over the course of a season we are keeping track of plays that Iggy would make that Drew would not to see how accurate his claim (and the subsequent projections made from that claim) are. So far there have only been 2 plays. this could be #3. you don't like that i'm keeping track? nobodys forcing you to come to this thread

Nobody is forcing me to come to this thread ?  Really ?  Thanks. I thought it was mandatory.  You didn't ask everyones opinion on the play. You are kissing up to Moonslav. Why ?  Why do you do that ?  Are you seeking his blessing ? If you know anything about the game , you would admit that Iglesias can make plays that Drew could not dream of.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

enjoy the THUNDAH

small sample size. 

Moon is clearly one of the most respected posters here. Thats why his opinion is valued more than some others.

Another kiss up .  

Sections
Shortcuts