A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

You forgot his tatoos, comic books, and wardrobe of Red Sox sweatshirts and uniforms. I always wanted to go to a Sox game in full RS uniform with a play station 3 in one hand and a yo-yo in the other and a bag of video games.

It is sad what is happening to the youth of today. I wish there were more jobs available, so they could become productive citizens.  Then again , maybe the jobs are available, but it is much more fun to just while away the hours playing games. As long as your parents will support you.

Jobs ARE available for people who have majors tougher than basket weaving or personal hygiene. 

I'm fortunate to have all of my kids employed or in college but I see a ton of young people who can't get full time jobs or jobs paying over $9 per hour. The average Walmart worker makes something like $8.67 per hour ( I'm quoting from memory...it may not be exactly that number ). One son is a Genetics major and to even have a realistic career in that field you have to maintain a GPA over 3.5. Lots of kids start out trying to be a doctor or something similar and they end up being a carpenter. You of all people should know how hard it is to pull that off Amp. Being a Pharmacist is difficult. A lot of kids don't cut it even why they do try.

I'm blessed with smart, hard working kids but all my kids played a ton of videogames also. I think more kids fail mainly because they couldn't afford to go to a good school and had to go the junior college route and work part time. We have had lots of employees who haven't graduated from college until they are 26-28 years old. And are deeply in debt when they do. It is a heck of a lot easier when mom and dad could put them through private school and help pay for their college. Amp, when you and I went to college we could get out of college with car loan type debt, even with zero help from our parents. Now it is over $100,000 or more for some kids. Kids today get the shaft. They really do.

I do agree that it is so important to pick a STEM type major ( Math / Science / Engineering ...etc ) as you might as well not bother with so many other majors. The job market is that tough now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

You forgot his tatoos, comic books, and wardrobe of Red Sox sweatshirts and uniforms. I always wanted to go to a Sox game in full RS uniform with a play station 3 in one hand and a yo-yo in the other and a bag of video games.

It is sad what is happening to the youth of today. I wish there were more jobs available, so they could become productive citizens.  Then again , maybe the jobs are available, but it is much more fun to just while away the hours playing games. As long as your parents will support you.

Jobs ARE available for people who have majors tougher than basket weaving or personal hygiene. 

I'm fortunate to have all of my kids employed or in college but I see a ton of young people who can't get full time jobs or jobs paying over $9 per hour. The average Walmart worker makes something like $8.67 per hour ( I'm quoting from memory...it may not be exactly that number ). One son is a Genetics major and to even have a realistic career in that field you have to maintain a GPA over 3.5. Lots of kids start out trying to be a doctor or something similar and they end up being a carpenter. You of all people should know how hard it is to pull that off Amp. Being a Pharmacist is difficult. A lot of kids don't cut it even why they do try.

I'm blessed with smart, hard working kids but all my kids played a ton of videogames also. I think more kids fail mainly because they couldn't afford to go to a good school and had to go the junior college route and work part time. We have had lots of employees who haven't graduated from college until they are 26-28 years old. And are deeply in debt when they do. It is a heck of a lot easier when mom and dad could put them through private school and help pay for their college. Amp, when you and I went to college we could get out of college with car loan type debt, even with zero help from our parents. Now it is over $100,000 or more for some kids. Kids today get the shaft. They really do.

I do agree that it is so important to pick a STEM type major ( Math / Science / Engineering ...etc ) as you might as well not bother with so many other majors. The job market is that tough now.

If the colleges did not have so many useless courses , taught by highly paid professors, the serious students could get a real education that would not cost a King's ransom.   Things have spiraled out of control.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'm just a fossil.

I sincerely wish your family well.

The pharmacy interns I talk to now, tell me that you'll need a minimum GPA around 3.5 to get in.  Then, the pressure is on just to pass...then, of  course, the national board.  I know some people who have taken it three times.  The pressure is incredible.  When I went, we had a dropout rate of about 60%.

I just feel fortunate to have gone when I did, get through, and pass while working about 30hrs per week and living on about 3-4hrs of sleep a night.

I didn't totally pay my own way.  My parents helped, but every penny I made contributed to tuition, books etc.  It was routine to check out Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for clothes, shoes etc.

I don't know what the solution is, Boom.  I know you probably think it's connected to politics, but I'm not sure that's the answer either.

Although I believe in the military, do we have to be everywhere?  Maybe the money saved could help students like your son.  Of course, they all couldn't be psych or sociology majors...:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

If the colleges did not have so many useless courses , taught by highly paid professors, the serious students could get a real education that would not cost a King's ransom.   Things have spiraled out of control.

Wow! As one of those "highly paid professors" (NOT!!), I can say that I have not gotten a raise in many many years and I teach in a STEM discipline; yet tuition rates continue to rise. Nope, not coming to my pocket.

Here is the key... Send your kids to a State school. Private schools are just robbing you blind and the difference in education is not all that great - certainly not worth $100K in debt! My kids go to a State school by the way, so I practice what I preach.

Boom has it right. STEM is still a good paying field, especially engineering ot even better, engineering management. Then again, my buddy who is a plumber all his life has always made more money than me. So little trade schools anymore that I would encourage more kids to become plumbers, carpenters, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Wow! As one of those "highly paid professors" (NOT!!), I can say that I have not gotten a raise in many many years and I teach in a STEM discipline; yet tuition rates continue to rise. Nope, not coming to my pocket.

Here is the key... Send your kids to a State school. Private schools are just robbing you blind and the difference in education is not all that great - certainly not worth $100K in debt! My kids go to a State school by the way, so I practice what I preach.

Boom has it right. STEM is still a good paying field, especially engineering ot even better, engineering management. Then again, my buddy who is a plumber all his life has always made more money than me. So little trade schools anymore that I would encourage more kids to become plumbers, carpenters, etc.

Trade schools are great, but some of the required work would be pretty tough to do when someone gets older.  A required subject would have to be buiness/finance in order to learn how to properly invest money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

drew +1? what play does Drew make that iggy doesn't?

My mistake. They both make that play, so it's not a +1 for Drew.

It is Iggy +2 over 5 games (a pace of 60 over 150).

There have been some close plays, like the nice tag that maybe Drew doesn't make, but I'm trying to be conservative. (It might really be +3)

Why is it +2? He did not make that play in the hole. He two hopped it to the side of the first baseman. There was no out and no error. It wasn't a good throw. Counting that as a +1 is certainly not conservative. If you don't count accurately, not sure what the purpose is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Well this thread has been completely derailed. I'd say that pike and denny's work here was done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I will continue to count until Iggy is sent down. You can choose to look away.

even after Iggy gets sent down we can still keep counting..

Yes, as in, "Iggy would have got to that ball," but it's maybe a little harder to determine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That play where Iggy dove on the ball and immediately composed himself to throw a strike to 2nd and they almost turned the double play with Rajai Davis burning down the line. That was impressive as heck. I don't care if Iggy is better...I just want to see more plays like that! This team is entertaining to watch.

Yes, it could be at Iggy +4-5, but I'm being conservative and giving Drew the benefit of the doubt on defense (that he is near average).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

drew +1? what play does Drew make that iggy doesn't?

My mistake. They both make that play, so it's not a +1 for Drew.

It is Iggy +2 over 5 games (a pace of 60 over 150).

There have been some close plays, like the nice tag that maybe Drew doesn't make, but I'm trying to be conservative. (It might really be +3)

Why is it +2? He did not make that play in the hole. He two hopped it to the side of the first baseman. There was no out and no error. It wasn't a good throw. Counting that as a +1 is certainly not conservative. If you don't count accurately, not sure what the purpose is.

The throw was good enough to get the4 guy out. There should have been an error, and I'd have given it to Naps, although most scorers would have falter Iggy. I didn't count that play as  plus one for Iggy. It could easily be +4 Iggy, but I am counting it as +2. You have a right to disagree, but I think I am being conservative here. Let's wait and watch Drew for a bit, and we should see the difference pretty quickly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Well this thread has been completely derailed. I'd say that pike and denny's work here was done.

Sad, but true for a bit.

Let's get back to baseball...

Sox-O's at Fenway! YahoooOOOOOO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

O's are deceptively dangerous and trash talkers to boot.

I am curious to see how these new Sox match up against them. The trash talk can be distracting.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Nava gets the start in left. Well deserved.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Actually , I didn't derail anything. I was contributing my opinion as to the shortstop situation. I don't really like having some guy tell me to " shut up and go back to drooling ." That same poster has a habit of making insulting remarks to those he disagrees with.  If you had been keeping score at home , you would have noticed that by now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Honestly, I'm not getting half the stuff posted on this thread lately. It's like 1/3 nonsense now. New people are welcome but either have insight, be funny or go somewhere else.

So far I like Farrell's moves. I liked Francona but Farrell is making more objective decisions IMO. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Nava gets the start in left. Well deserved.

JBJ getting the day off??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If Lackey goes on the 15 day DL, I say give a farmhand a shot rather than Aceves. We should call up someone and use them as cannon fodder if necessary, as Toronto did with 2 pitchers recently. I'd rather bring up Webster but it may well be premature. He gives us the best shot at winning though, and I suspect he will be up before year end anyway.

We've gone for it so far. Why stop now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It will be interesting to see how Middlebrooks develops from here. He has historically been considered as not being top flight because he doesn't walk much but the guy doesn't miss many pitches either from what I've seen. And the ones he hits often go a long way. Having an average fielding 3rd baseman who can hit 30 plus HR and have a .280 average is a solid pick up on any team.

And he may have better than that in him. Sometimes he shows major pop and he has the tools to be a better defender. He is a big factor in how this team does going forward. Maybe even a bigger factor than Ellsbury. Both guys need to put up big numbers for this team to make the playoffs and it looks like they are capable of doing that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Actually , I didn't derail anything. I was contributing my opinion as to the shortstop situation. I don't really like having some guy tell me to " shut up and go back to drooling ." That same poster has a habit of making insulting remarks to those he disagrees with.  If you had been keeping score at home , you would have noticed that by now.

"shut up" is insulting?? i would say you need some thicker skin DG. If "shut up" offends you then you were obviously home schooled and have never spent any time in a public forum. As for the drooling part feel free to stop me if i am lying.. Your going nuts over a 10 AB sample size and an 18 AB sample size. Sorry if i require a bigger pool of information before cementing my position. I didn't even mention the throwing out of statistics that do not agree with your argument. Doing your best impersonation of Softlaw i see? getting hopped up over super small sample sizes and ignoring numbers as you see fit. Now you just need to make long winded posts, come up with cute nicknames for the players and put your clown shoes on.

I'm not going to continue this. I'll just leave you with this : You come across to me as a brash , immature youngster. You are frequently insulting and disrespectful of other posters. At the same time , you try to ingratiate yourself to some of the respected posters. That is how I see it. You can have the last word, because like I said , I am not going to continue this. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If Lackey goes on the 15 day DL, I say give a farmhand a shot rather than Aceves. We should call up someone and use them as cannon fodder if necessary, as Toronto did with 2 pitchers recently. I'd rather bring up Webster but it may well be premature. He gives us the best shot at winning though, and I suspect he will be up before year end anyway.

If not Webster who did you have in mind?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

"shut up" is insulting?? i would say you need some thicker skin DG. If "shut up" offends you then you were obviously home schooled and have never spent any time in a public forum. As for the drooling part feel free to stop me if i am lying.. Your going nuts over a 10 AB sample size and an 18 AB sample size. Sorry if i require a bigger pool of information before cementing my position. I didn't even mention the throwing out of statistics that do not agree with your argument. Doing your best impersonation of Softlaw i see? getting hopped up over super small sample sizes and ignoring numbers as you see fit. Now you just need to make long winded posts, come up with cute nicknames for the players and put your clown shoes on.

I'm not going to continue this. I'll just leave you with this : You come across to me as a brash , immature youngster. You are frequently insulting and disrespectful of other posters. At the same time , you try to ingratiate yourself to some of the respected posters. That is how I see it. You can have the last word, because like I said , I am not going to continue this. 

it's been a pleasure DG

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It will be interesting to see how Middlebrooks develops from here. He has historically been considered as not being top flight because he doesn't walk much but the guy doesn't miss many pitches either from what I've seen. And the ones he hits often go a long way. Having an average fielding 3rd baseman who can hit 30 plus HR and have a .280 average is a solid pick up on any team.

And he may have better than that in him. Sometimes he shows major pop and he has the tools to be a better defender. He is a big factor in how this team does going forward. Maybe even a bigger factor than Ellsbury. Both guys need to put up big numbers for this team to make the playoffs and it looks like they are capable of doing that.

Ill deal with a few extra K's in return for a .280-.300 BA and 30+ bombs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bringing up Webster would require another waiver move as he's not on the 40 man. I guess they could move Morales or Breslow to the 60 day DL.

Sections
Shortcuts