A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I knew Middlebrooks had power, but what he showed in Toronto was exceptional.  I'm impressed.

I also think it's a good idea to start Nava instead of JBJ.  Besides hitting the ball well so far, Nava has a lot more experience in Fenway left.  JBJ has enough pressure on him without having to worry about the wall.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

drew +1? what play does Drew make that iggy doesn't?

My mistake. They both make that play, so it's not a +1 for Drew.

It is Iggy +2 over 5 games (a pace of 60 over 150).

There have been some close plays, like the nice tag that maybe Drew doesn't make, but I'm trying to be conservative. (It might really be +3)

Why is it +2? He did not make that play in the hole. He two hopped it to the side of the first baseman. There was no out and no error. It wasn't a good throw. Counting that as a +1 is certainly not conservative. If you don't count accurately, not sure what the purpose is.

Its all based solely on their opinion BMav. Drew might get at a ball that Iggy does simply because hes positioned a little more that way or gets a better break on the ball...But unless he has a chance to field that exact same play, there is no way of realistically saying he would have or wouldnt have made any certain play. To determine how many plays Iggy makes over Drew is a waste of time IMO.

I will say that its very obvious that Iggy is the better defensive player. Thats not even up for debate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

drew +1? what play does Drew make that iggy doesn't?

My mistake. They both make that play, so it's not a +1 for Drew.

It is Iggy +2 over 5 games (a pace of 60 over 150).

There have been some close plays, like the nice tag that maybe Drew doesn't make, but I'm trying to be conservative. (It might really be +3)

Why is it +2? He did not make that play in the hole. He two hopped it to the side of the first baseman. There was no out and no error. It wasn't a good throw. Counting that as a +1 is certainly not conservative. If you don't count accurately, not sure what the purpose is.

Its all based solely on their opinion BMav. Drew might get at a ball that Iggy does simply because hes positioned a little more that way or gets a better break on the ball...But unless he has a chance to field that exact same play, there is no way of realistically saying he would have or wouldnt have made any certain play. To determine how many plays Iggy makes over Drew is a waste of time IMO.

I will say that its very obvious that Iggy is the better defensive player. Thats not even up for debate.

the difference in defense is no debate but neither is the difference in offense.. it's not an exact science but it is more accurate than guessing Iggy will make X amount of plays over Drew IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

the difference in defense is no debate but neither is the difference in offense.. it's not an exact science but it is more accurate than guessing Iggy will make X amount of plays over Drew IMO.

It's a guess either way.

You look at the top ranged SSs in MLB and see they make 80-120 more plays than the worst ones over a full season. Yes, I guessed Iggy would make 60-100 more than Drew, but it is based on some facts.

On the Drew positioning himself better than Iggy (by some other poster), says who? Where's the evidence?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Nava gets the start in left. Well deserved.

I almost penciled him into my projected line-up, but went with Bradley instead. No argument. I think Nava is hot, as he often is early in t6he season, so I'm OK with him out there in the short LF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He has been a good sport his entire life. It's such a great story and good for him!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tenshi28. Show Tenshi28's posts

Middlebrooks is reminding me more and more of David Wright by the day, cross your fingers but we may have hit jackpot here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Middlebrooks just seems to be getting better every year. His dad was a football coach and I wonder if he played a lot of baseball growing up. When he first started in the minors he didn't even look like he was going to make it and now in the last 3 years he has just been getting better every year. He may not be through yet. He might be one ofm the best 3rd basemen in baseball right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I didn't count that play as  plus one for Iggy.

So what was the two plays then? I know the one right before he left the game. But whats the other play?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Well this thread has been completely derailed. I'd say that pike and denny's work here was done.

Actually , I didn't derail anything. I was contributing my opinion as to the shortstop situation. I don't really like having some guy tell me to " shut up and go back to drooling ." That same poster has a habit of making insulting remarks to those he disagrees with.  If you had been keeping score at home , you would have noticed that by now.

"shut up" is insulting?? i would say you need some thicker skin DG. If "shut up" offends you then you were obviously home schooled and have never spent any time in a public forum. As for the drooling part feel free to stop me if i am lying.. Your going nuts over a 10 AB sample size and an 18 AB sample size. Sorry if i require a bigger pool of information before cementing my position. I didn't even mention the throwing out of statistics that do not agree with your argument. Doing your best impersonation of Softlaw i see? getting hopped up over super small sample sizes and ignoring numbers as you see fit. Now you just need to make long winded posts, come up with cute nicknames for the players and put your clown shoes on.

I'm not going to continue this. I'll just leave you with this : You come across to me as a brash , immature youngster. You are frequently insulting and disrespectful of other posters. At the same time , you try to ingratiate yourself to some of the respected posters. That is how I see it. You can have the last word, because like I said , I am not going to continue this. 

I'm with you dgalehouse. That's my read also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I almost penciled him into my projected line-up, but went with Bradley instead. No argument. I think Nava is hot, as he often is early in t6he season, so I'm OK with him out there in the short LF.

looks like Farrell made the right call riding the hot bat into the home opener.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So what was the two plays then? I know the one right before he left the game. But whats the other play?

You keep your own score, because we will never agree on anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

looks like Farrell made the right call riding the hot bat into the home opener.

Time for soty to get himself banned, come back under another name, and deny everything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

any ones that jumped out at you today? i was watching from my phone and tablet and trying to get my MLB TV working properly so i wasn't paying much attention.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

So you won't say? Interesting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Did you guys see that little hook step Nava has developed, ala Bryce Harper? Pretty cool and he knocked that ball right over the monster wasn't it. Perfect Fenway swing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, it is interesting that it doesn't matter with you. You don't watch the same game, so what's the use in discussing anything with you.

Find another poster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Updated:

OBP

Nava   .588

Iggy     .476

Pedey  .455

Ciriaco .429

Vict      .406

Gomes .375

Salty    .350

Midds   .333

JBJ       .333

Ellsb    .314

Naps   .194

Ross   .111

I mentioned on a winter thread about our LF outlook that I thought a Nava/Gomes platoon in LF could turn LF into our best OBP position. They're off to a great start, although much has been as a DH.

SLG%

Nava 1.083

Midds  .786

Iggy   .550

Ellsb  .485

Naps  .452

Pedey .393

Vict     .379

Gomes .308

Salty   .250

JBJ      .190

Ross    .111

Nava's OPS is off the charts!  

(Iggy and Will-Da-Beast are both over 1.000 as well.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

Did you guys see that little hook step Nava has developed, ala Bryce Harper? Pretty cool and he knocked that ball right over the monster wasn't it. Perfect Fenway swing.

Boom, I heard him mention something about his stance during the post interview, but didn't catch it all.  I intend on re-watching to look for it.

I do know that I'm really ECSTATIC for the guy.  Good things couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  I'm sure you read Jid's comment on the very nice conversation they had with him?

If Nava keeps this up only partially, he'll probably get more right-handed at bats than expected.  And, his defense is certainly decent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Yes, it is interesting that it doesn't matter with you. You don't watch the same game, so what's the use in discussing anything with you.

Find another poster.

Wow. Asked a simple straight forward question and you become a jerk. Ok.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Updated:

OBP

Nava   .588

Iggy     .476

Pedey  .455

Ciriaco .429

Vict      .406

Gomes .375

Salty    .350

Midds   .333

JBJ       .333

Ellsb    .314

Naps   .194

Ross   .111

I mentioned on a winter thread about our LF outlook that I thought a Nava/Gomes platoon in LF could turn LF into our best OBP position. They're off to a great start, although much has been as a DH.

SLG%

Nava 1.083

Midds  .786

Iggy   .550

Ellsb  .485

Naps  .452

Pedey .393

Vict     .379

Gomes .308

Salty   .250

JBJ      .190

Ross    .111

Nava's OPS is off the charts!  

(Iggy and Will-Da-Beast are both over 1.000 as well.)

Wow. If you asked me what Ellsbury's OBP is off the top of my head, I would've guessed about the same as Victorino's. huh.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Find another poster.

Wow. Asked a simple straight forward question and you become a jerk. Ok.

Glad you're "OK" with it.

"Interesting".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow. If you asked me what Ellsbury's OBP is off the top of my head, I would've guessed about the same as Victorino's. huh.\

Small sample sizes can be affected by one bad game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lester and Buch are looking good. Who will be that key 3rd starter we need so badly to do well?

Sections
Shortcuts