A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Lackey will be a strong number three IF he is healthy. Right now I'm trying to convince myself what he felt was an adhesion. Wasn't he touching 95? The guy was airing it out. If he's hurt or can't stay healthy it's a major blow. 

I'm sold on Tazawa as a starter. Long relief is a waste of his talent. The idea is to use him in games where the team is down big early?

If there are medical concerns then no, but he is way younger and much further removed from his elbow surgery than Lackey. 

Doubront I'm not sold on. He's not a kid anymore. He's shown he can pitch really well, but he needs to make a move this year. He was better last year than his ERA showed. I'm willing to toss out his bad patch, because he recovered, and pitched well. The conditioning issues concern me. If he was a bit out of shape and pitching great I wouldn't care, but he isn't pitching great, and even if his conditioning is not a factor the club wants him in shape. The fact he shows up a bit out of shape for a second time after the heat he got the last time worries me. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I certainly can also understand your feeling about Taz.  And yes, he's outstanding.

Yet, if Aceves is history down the road..and he certainly isn't making many friends in the FO, and Lackey takes longer than expected to heal..even if he's back sooner than later, who's our long inning guy? Mortensen? Morales?..if/when he's ready.

I like Mortensen, and we have Webster as well. Morales would be great, but I'm not counting on his health.

Can you see Doubront and Taz flip-flopping?

I wanted to trade Doubront with others to upgrade at SP or clean-up hitter (J Upton) and put Taz at the 5 slot.

I don't see anyone else on the roster who's a multiple inning guy.  Unless they DFA Carp and pick someone up.

I still think Aceves can regain his dominance in that role. I do not think he should start except in an emergency.

I'm first to admit that I'm not as deeply into it as you and some of the others are, but I think that taking Taz out of his present role will open a huge hole.  Although I certainly can see that picking up a long inning guy would be an easier option than 'wasting' a talent like Taz in his present role if other starters aren't working out. 

We have Hanrahan and Bailey. Miller is awesome vs LHPs, and when  Breslow returns, we can probably afford to move Taz to starter.

Yes, he has been helpful in the relief role, but look at what our 3-5 starters have done and project to do. Taz can give us 4-7 IP instead of 1-2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

Moon, you are slowly making your way to Pollyannaville. And you are welcome on that train.

I'm definitely on it!!

This past winter, I never thought in a 1000 yrs. I'd feel this way.  Actually, sadly, I thought I was 'losing' it.

This team is exciting.  It seems like EVERYONE is on the same page.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Amp, it's more fun when we have worthy opponents also isn't it. To me, Baltimore, TB and Toronto all have solid teams. We forget that Bautista might be the best hitter in baseball and he wasn't playing the other day. Beurhle, Johnson and Happ are all pretty solid and we can't rule out last year's NL Cy Young award winner after 2 games. Toronto is not going to be easy to beat. Look at their SS also. Is there anyone any better?

With all issues regarding wanting Iggy at SS, and don't we all want that just about, I've gotta give Drew one advantage. He helps our lineup against RH pitching especially:

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Drew

Nava

Salty

Victorino

Just a wild guess but Drew probably improves the lineup against RH significantly and that is pretty important also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Amp, it's more fun when we have worthy opponents also isn't it. To me, Baltimore, TB and Toronto all have solid teams. We forget that Bautista might be the best hitter in baseball and he wasn't playing the other day. Beurhle, Johnson and Happ are all pretty solid and we can't rule out last year's NL Cy Young award winner after 2 games. Toronto is not going to be easy to beat. Look at their SS also. Is there anyone any better?

With all issues regarding wanting Iggy at SS, and don't we all want that just about, I've gotta give Drew one advantage. He helps our lineup against RH pitching especially:

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Drew

Nava

Salty

Victorino

Just a wild guess but Drew probably improves the lineup against RH significantly and that is pretty important also.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.  But, I don't think anyone can deny that Drew certainly adds more offense.

So, You read my post on a different thread concerning Weaver's injury?

I wonder what the difference is in batting averages at the Rogers Center as compared to places that have natural surfaces.  I think that artificial stuff should be banned...from probably inflating offense to ruining athlete's knees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Drew

Nava

Salty

Victorino

We'll just have to see how it plays out.  But, I don't think anyone can deny that Drew certainly adds more offense.

I wonder what the difference is in batting averages at the Rogers Center as compared to places that have natural surfaces.  I think that artificial stuff should be banned...from probably inflating offense to ruining athlete's knees.

yeah but then what to domed stadiums do? especially in places like Canada and florida where the weather can be frequently dreadful throughout the season. I would like to see it banned too but i just don't think it's feasable

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Moon, good to see alot of possitives for RS 1st week of season. Lester / Buchholz being the biggest [Its all about the pitching!] SV and Gomes have been as advertised, bullpen has been very good [still some worries w/ Hanrahan - but hopefully just some nerves w/ new team] JBJ needs to start hitting again or face a demotion when Ortiz is ready [which wouldn't be the worst thing - let him spend his 20 days on farm then bring him back] Ells /Pedroia /Middlebrooks all look primed for big years. But have to admit biggest surprise has been Iggy and his offense, you might be right, he looks ready. Doesn't have to give us a lot of offense just some and has done more than that early. Probably will see Drew shortly but at least he knows he'll need to perform if Iggy continues to perform well in AAA. Good problem to have! But all early signs have been positive and hopefully Lackey only a temporary setback he looked good in his 1st start. But for a change talking about positives w/ RS, not negatives as been last few yrs. Still early though. 

Very early, and like all teams, the Sox will go through a rough patch or two before all is said and done. Let's see how they handle it. Let's see how we handle it.

P.S. Cecchini and Marrero had 7 hits combined yesterday. Keep them coming. Middlebrooks better start working on his 1B defense. Could see Cecchini @ 3B / Iggy SS / Boegarts LF / Middlebrooks 1B in the not to distant future.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, you are slowly making your way to Pollyannaville. And you are welcome on that train.

I'm definitely on it!!

This past winter, I never thought in a 1000 yrs. I'd feel this way.  Actually, sadly, I thought I was 'losing' it.

This team is exciting.  It seems like EVERYONE is on the same page.

I still see 85 wins, but I am more optimistic about the upside potential, if we get no more major injuries. The Morales, Papi, Breslow, and now Lackey injuries are not a good sign of having a great healthy season.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Lackey will be a strong number three IF he is healthy. Right now I'm trying to convince myself what he felt was an adhesion. Wasn't he touching 95? The guy was airing it out. If he's hurt or can't stay healthy it's a major blow. 

I'm sold on Tazawa as a starter. Long relief is a waste of his talent. The idea is to use him in games where the team is down big early?

If there are medical concerns then no, but he is way younger and much further removed from his elbow surgery than Lackey. 

Doubront I'm not sold on. He's not a kid anymore. He's shown he can pitch really well, but he needs to make a move this year. He was better last year than his ERA showed. I'm willing to toss out his bad patch, because he recovered, and pitched well. The conditioning issues concern me. If he was a bit out of shape and pitching great I wouldn't care, but he isn't pitching great, and even if his conditioning is not a factor the club wants him in shape. The fact he shows up a bit out of shape for a second time after the heat he got the last time worries me. 

You do know that Tazawa is older than Doubront right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

In response to patrickford's comment:

Tazawa is also a much much better pitcher than doobie thougbh

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Drew

Nava

Salty

Victorino

yeah but then what to domed stadiums do? especially in places like Canada and florida where the weather can be frequently dreadful throughout the season. I would like to see it banned too but i just don't think it's feasable

With the attendance in Florida, I'm not sure even having any teams there is a good idea.

Aren't some domed places translucent?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Middlebrooks

Drew

Nava

Salty

Victorino

With the attendance in Florida, I'm not sure even having any teams there is a good idea.

Aren't some domed places translucent?

not sure, never been to any MLB park besides fenway. and usually the cameras aren't pointed at the roof either lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

27 is just about right to start the prime of his career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I guess today I would go with Webster if we need help.  I 'm ok with leaving Taz where he is but I do believe he could be a successful starter for us in the future.

As to past discussions of yours about Zito, Moon, I played golf with my boss today and he said he thinks the Giants have won the last 12-15 games that Zito started.  Don't know if that's true, but he was great at the end of the last year and is 2-0 right now, and was ahead today 7-0 at one point.  Lincecum is still struggling to find himself, was behind 6-2 maybe yesterday, and the team came back and won 9-6.  Nobody seems to know why he can't seem to find himself, he doesn't claim an injury, but can't find consistentcy.

Going to see the A's and Tigers on Saturday with a young teacher from my school who's from Michigan.  I don't think Detroit has a bona fide closer...I'm hoping Cher is sniffing around there a little...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Damn!  I guess the game got away from Harrahan.  I'm really disappointed.  I know this is going to happen from time to time with any team, but our BP must win these kinds of games if we are to be successful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I guess today I would go with Webster if we need help.  I 'm ok with leaving Taz where he is but I do believe he could be a successful starter for us in the future.

As to past discussions of yours about Zito, Moon, I played golf with my boss today and he said he thinks the Giants have won the last 12-15 games that Zito started.  Don't know if that's true, but he was great at the end of the last year and is 2-0 right now, and was ahead today 7-0 at one point.  Lincecum is still struggling to find himself, was behind 6-2 maybe yesterday, and the team came back and won 9-6.  Nobody seems to know why he can't seem to find himself, he doesn't claim an injury, but can't find consistentcy.

Going to see the A's and Tigers on Saturday with a young teacher from my school who's from Michigan.  I don't think Detroit has a bona fide closer...I'm hoping Cher is sniffing around there a little...

I'd go with Webster over Aceves as well. I think the best role for Aceves is LR/MR.

As to my proposed CC for Zito trade last year before Zito turned it around, I honestly prosed it mostly as a salary dump (trade off) that would save us money way down the road but not short term, and I thought we needed pitching, and maybe Zito could do well with a change of scenery and or league.

By my count, SF has one win in 1 start with Zito this year, were 3-0 in his playoff starts, and they won 11 straight starting August 7th to the end of the regular 2012 season.

11+ 3+ 1 = 15 straight. Basically, the team is 15-1 since last year's trade deadline, but of course softy would find some excuse to say I was wrong on wanting this trade, because he thought Zito was a bum and union slug.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Damn!  I guess the game got away from Harrahan.  I'm really disappointed.  I know this is going to happen from time to time with any team, but our BP must win these kinds of games if we are to be successful.

1 game. Nobody expected Hanrahan to go 40 for 40.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the biggest knock against Lincecum is that his mechanics/delivery is high stress and hard to replicate. I'd i had to bet that's what i'd look for. Watch some tape of him pitching 2-3 years ago and watch tape of him pitching last year and you will probably see a difference in his delivery which accounts for his performance. the other option is just mental.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

the biggest knock against Lincecum is that his mechanics/delivery is high stress and hard to replicate. I'd i had to bet that's what i'd look for. Watch some tape of him pitching 2-3 years ago and watch tape of him pitching last year and you will probably see a difference in his delivery which accounts for his performance. the other option is just mental.

Good points.

BTW, Zito won again last night. I think that's 16 SF wins in his last 16 starts counting the playoffs. This started a week or so after the trade deadline last year. I'm happy for the Dodger deal we pulled off, but the CC for Zito trade I suggested might have worked out better. We may have still made a Dodger deal, and maybe got more back fro LA since they didn't have to take on most of CC's contract.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hanrahan is pretty one dimensional though, and his control is not ideal. He's an ok closer. We have 3 or 4 of those. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know the Zito proposal was a salary dump move but Zito would get body slammed in Fenway and the AL East. He needs a big park like in SF and San Diego to be successful at this point in his career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know the Zito proposal was a salary dump move but Zito would get body slammed in Fenway and the AL East. He needs a big park like in SF and San Diego to be successful at this point in his career.

He's better than Dempster.

I also seriously doubt a pitcher who has (I believe) led his team to 16 straight wins would get "body slammed" by anyone. The AL East is not what it used to be anyways.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hanrahan is pretty one dimensional though, and his control is not ideal. He's an ok closer. We have 3 or 4 of those. 

Another argument for my winter position that we had too many mediocre to good pitchers and not enough great ones, hence my suggestion for a 2 or 3 for 1 deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Another argument for my winter position that we had too many mediocre to good pitchers and not enough great ones, hence my suggestion for a 2 or 3 for 1 deal.

You will get that wish this year or this coming off season. 30 or so players that are going to be rule-5 eligible I believe.

This is why I thought this year was an evaluation year of sorts, so they could get a better idea who they would cut loose/trade, resign, protect, etc...