A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

You do know that Tazawa is older than Doubront right?

27 is just about right to start the prime of his career.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I guess today I would go with Webster if we need help.  I 'm ok with leaving Taz where he is but I do believe he could be a successful starter for us in the future.

As to past discussions of yours about Zito, Moon, I played golf with my boss today and he said he thinks the Giants have won the last 12-15 games that Zito started.  Don't know if that's true, but he was great at the end of the last year and is 2-0 right now, and was ahead today 7-0 at one point.  Lincecum is still struggling to find himself, was behind 6-2 maybe yesterday, and the team came back and won 9-6.  Nobody seems to know why he can't seem to find himself, he doesn't claim an injury, but can't find consistentcy.

Going to see the A's and Tigers on Saturday with a young teacher from my school who's from Michigan.  I don't think Detroit has a bona fide closer...I'm hoping Cher is sniffing around there a little...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Damn!  I guess the game got away from Harrahan.  I'm really disappointed.  I know this is going to happen from time to time with any team, but our BP must win these kinds of games if we are to be successful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

I guess today I would go with Webster if we need help.  I 'm ok with leaving Taz where he is but I do believe he could be a successful starter for us in the future.

As to past discussions of yours about Zito, Moon, I played golf with my boss today and he said he thinks the Giants have won the last 12-15 games that Zito started.  Don't know if that's true, but he was great at the end of the last year and is 2-0 right now, and was ahead today 7-0 at one point.  Lincecum is still struggling to find himself, was behind 6-2 maybe yesterday, and the team came back and won 9-6.  Nobody seems to know why he can't seem to find himself, he doesn't claim an injury, but can't find consistentcy.

Going to see the A's and Tigers on Saturday with a young teacher from my school who's from Michigan.  I don't think Detroit has a bona fide closer...I'm hoping Cher is sniffing around there a little...

I'd go with Webster over Aceves as well. I think the best role for Aceves is LR/MR.

As to my proposed CC for Zito trade last year before Zito turned it around, I honestly prosed it mostly as a salary dump (trade off) that would save us money way down the road but not short term, and I thought we needed pitching, and maybe Zito could do well with a change of scenery and or league.

By my count, SF has one win in 1 start with Zito this year, were 3-0 in his playoff starts, and they won 11 straight starting August 7th to the end of the regular 2012 season.

11+ 3+ 1 = 15 straight. Basically, the team is 15-1 since last year's trade deadline, but of course softy would find some excuse to say I was wrong on wanting this trade, because he thought Zito was a bum and union slug.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Damn!  I guess the game got away from Harrahan.  I'm really disappointed.  I know this is going to happen from time to time with any team, but our BP must win these kinds of games if we are to be successful.

1 game. Nobody expected Hanrahan to go 40 for 40.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the biggest knock against Lincecum is that his mechanics/delivery is high stress and hard to replicate. I'd i had to bet that's what i'd look for. Watch some tape of him pitching 2-3 years ago and watch tape of him pitching last year and you will probably see a difference in his delivery which accounts for his performance. the other option is just mental.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the biggest knock against Lincecum is that his mechanics/delivery is high stress and hard to replicate. I'd i had to bet that's what i'd look for. Watch some tape of him pitching 2-3 years ago and watch tape of him pitching last year and you will probably see a difference in his delivery which accounts for his performance. the other option is just mental.

Good points.

BTW, Zito won again last night. I think that's 16 SF wins in his last 16 starts counting the playoffs. This started a week or so after the trade deadline last year. I'm happy for the Dodger deal we pulled off, but the CC for Zito trade I suggested might have worked out better. We may have still made a Dodger deal, and maybe got more back fro LA since they didn't have to take on most of CC's contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hanrahan is pretty one dimensional though, and his control is not ideal. He's an ok closer. We have 3 or 4 of those. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know the Zito proposal was a salary dump move but Zito would get body slammed in Fenway and the AL East. He needs a big park like in SF and San Diego to be successful at this point in his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I know the Zito proposal was a salary dump move but Zito would get body slammed in Fenway and the AL East. He needs a big park like in SF and San Diego to be successful at this point in his career.

He's better than Dempster.

I also seriously doubt a pitcher who has (I believe) led his team to 16 straight wins would get "body slammed" by anyone. The AL East is not what it used to be anyways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hanrahan is pretty one dimensional though, and his control is not ideal. He's an ok closer. We have 3 or 4 of those. 

Another argument for my winter position that we had too many mediocre to good pitchers and not enough great ones, hence my suggestion for a 2 or 3 for 1 deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Another argument for my winter position that we had too many mediocre to good pitchers and not enough great ones, hence my suggestion for a 2 or 3 for 1 deal.

You will get that wish this year or this coming off season. 30 or so players that are going to be rule-5 eligible I believe.

This is why I thought this year was an evaluation year of sorts, so they could get a better idea who they would cut loose/trade, resign, protect, etc...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Good points.

BTW, Zito won again last night. I think that's 16 SF wins in his last 16 starts counting the playoffs. This started a week or so after the trade deadline last year. I'm happy for the Dodger deal we pulled off, but the CC for Zito trade I suggested might have worked out better. We may have still made a Dodger deal, and maybe got more back fro LA since they didn't have to take on most of CC's contract.

Do you really think that Barry Zito, a west coast surfer, guitarist, song writer & pitcher was going to waive his full no trade clause to pitch for a worse team in a ballpark that is notoriously tough on lefties, 3000 miles away?  You've mentioned this trade proposal several times over the last year, but I can say with 100% certainty that there was no "realistic" shot of it happening at all.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I also seriously doubt a pitcher who has (I believe) led his team to 16 straight wins would get "body slammed" by anyone. The AL East is not what it used to be anyways.

Zito hasn't had an ERA below 4.00 in the last 6 years, while pitching in a very large pitcher friendly park in the national league. His fastball is like 86 mph now or something similar. He's Bill Lee without the guile or humor.

I'd take Dempster in a heartbeat. It was a potential salary dump option though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You will get that wish this year or this coming off season. 30 or so players that are going to be rule-5 eligible I believe.

This is why I thought this year was an evaluation year of sorts, so they could get a better idea who they would cut loose/trade, resign, protect, etc...

We're bound to lose some of these guys. I think we could have been proactive by making several 3 for 1 deals to upgrade quality at the expense of quantity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Good points.

Do you really think that Barry Zito, a west coast surfer, guitarist, song writer & pitcher was going to waive his full no trade clause to pitch for a worse team in a ballpark that is notoriously tough on lefties, 3000 miles away?  You've mentioned this trade proposal several times over the last year, but I can say with 100% certainty that there was no "realistic" shot of it happening at all.  

I don't think Zito was happy is SF before the deadline. He had been benched several times. He may have welcomes going back to the league where he was successful. We'll never know.

Your 100% certainty is a bit of an overstatement. 

Sure, now he's happy in SF, but last July he was in the midst of a long nightmare.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Zito hasn't had an ERA below 4.00 in the last 6 years, while pitching in a very large pitcher friendly park in the national league. His fastball is like 86 mph now or something similar. He's Bill Lee without the guile or humor.

I'd take Dempster in a heartbeat. It was a potential salary dump option though.

The trade suggestion was not out of some idea that Zito was going to be great, it was to dump CC's salary and get something possibly useful in return. He has been a new man since the 2012 deadline. That's all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Good points.

I don't think Zito was happy is SF before the deadline. He had been benched several times. He may have welcomes going back to the league where he was successful. We'll never know.

Sure, now he's happy in SF, but last July he was in the midst of a long nightmare.

Actually, if you knew anything about Barry Zito, you'd be able to say with 100% certainty that he wouldn't have waived his no trade to go to Boston as well...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Actually, if you knew anything about Barry Zito, you'd be able to say with 100% certainty that he wouldn't have waived his no trade to go to Boston as well...

Yes, everybody we never signed or traded for could have possibly ever ended up here. You are right. We got all the players we were meant to get, and we could never have expected anything better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Yes, everybody we never signed or traded for could have possibly ever ended up here. You are right. We got all the players we were meant to get, and we could never have expected anything better.

That's not the point, Moon.  Proposing other ideas is what makes this board great at times.  It's when you spend the entire winter shredding the Front Office and saying your "plan" was so much better, yet your plan was unrealistic.  You post over and over and over again that you would have traded for Justin Upton, signed Brandon McCarthy, trade for Zito last summer, traded for Brett Anderson, traded all the free agents to be and start the kids.  None of this was realistic at all.  You also said they did nothing to help the future, which makes no sense, since they kept all of their young players, kept all of their draft picks and didn't sign anyone to long term deals.  These are the players you keep posting that they "could" have acquired:

Justin Upton:  Had "no trade clause" that included Boston and said he wouldn't waive it to come here, yet how many times have you posted "They should have traded for Upton." It wasn't an option.

Brandon McCarthy:  He told his agent, "I want to stay out west."  Pretty cut and dry there. Last time I checked, Boston is the farthest baseball city from "out west."  The Sox also weren't going to sign a guy who was injury prone and hadn't thrown a pitch since he was hit in the face with a line drive.  A lot of these guys in the Front Office were around when a line drive to the face ruined the careers of Clement & Florie.  There was zero mutual interest.  By the way he's been batting practice his first two starts for AZ. 

Brett Anderson:  Billy Beane made it clear that "he's not available."  Sure, if you want to give them a ridiculous package, then anyone is available, but that doesn't make any sense, either. 

Barry Zito:  Already explained how he wasn't waiving no trade for Boston, and not sure why Boston would have been interested last summer, even to dump Crawford.

Jacoby Ellsbury: They actively shopped him this winter but they weren't going to give him away.  It made more sense to hang onto him at the end of the day.

It's not the ideas, it's the way you present them over and over like the Sox "could" have made these moves and didn't.  Okay, so you don't like the moves they made, but it's time to move on. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Zito for Crawford, as a straight salary dump made some sense as Crawford's contract was a lot longer and both contracts were looking real bad. Even last year though, Zito's ERA was still above 4.00 in the NL west, in a pitchers park. And it was possibly his best year in the past 6. We don't want him.

But your point was always the salary dump option. I get that. I just wouldn't take him over Dempster, who so far has been fine IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I posted this on the game thread...I

Just saw a picture of old Dodger pitcher Don Newcombe.

Did you guys know that in 1950 he pitched both ends of a double header?  He pitched a shutout complete game in the 1st game, and gave up only two runs in the second game after seven innings.

Why in hell do pitchers today tire out after 5 innings or so?  Yes, a few exceptions..Verlander, for one.. Nolan Ryan was another.

Really! what in the world?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's not the point, Moon.  Proposing other ideas is what makes this board great at times.  It's when you spend the entire winter shredding the Front Office and saying your "plan" was so much better, yet your plan was unrealistic.  You post over and over and over again that you would have traded for Justin Upton, signed Brandon McCarthy, trade for Zito last summer, traded for Brett Anderson, traded all the free agents to be and start the kids.  None of this was realistic at all.  You also said they did nothing to help the future, which makes no sense, since they kept all of their young players, kept all of their draft picks and didn't sign anyone to long term deals.  These are the players you keep posting that they "could" have acquired:

Justin Upton:  Had "no trade clause" that included Boston and said he wouldn't waive it to come here, yet how many times have you posted "They should have traded for Upton." It wasn't an option.

Brandon McCarthy:  He told his agent, "I want to stay out west."  Pretty cut and dry there. Last time I checked, Boston is the farthest baseball city from "out west."  The Sox also weren't going to sign a guy who was injury prone and hadn't thrown a pitch since he was hit in the face with a line drive.  A lot of these guys in the Front Office were around when a line drive to the face ruined the careers of Clement & Florie.  There was zero mutual interest.  By the way he's been batting practice his first two starts for AZ. 

Brett Anderson:  Billy Beane made it clear that "he's not available."  Sure, if you want to give them a ridiculous package, then anyone is available, but that doesn't make any sense, either. 

Barry Zito:  Already explained how he wasn't waiving no trade for Boston, and not sure why Boston would have been interested last summer, even to dump Crawford.

Jacoby Ellsbury: They actively shopped him this winter but they weren't going to give him away.  It made more sense to hang onto him at the end of the day.

It's not the ideas, it's the way you present them over and over like the Sox "could" have made these moves and didn't.  Okay, so you don't like the moves they made, but it's time to move on. 

Everybody has a price.

I have moved on.

I disagree with your positions, but your 100% "certainty" is a joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just finished watching tonight's game on tape delay. Tough loss.

Gotta say, that O's 3 to 7 stretch in their line-up is deadly:

3) Markakis

4) A Jones

5) C Davis

6) Weiters

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Amp, that is amazing.  I didn't know that.  As to why, let me propose something that may or may not be a factor.  My students today here in San Jose are typical suburban kids.  Among them are some good athletes, but none of them do chores: no firewood, no lawn mowing, no plowing or harrowing, no raking or shoveling--all stuff I did in the 60's by the way.  These kids don't even want to put the garbage bins out on collection day.  My father and his four brothers grew up on a small farm in the 30's and 40's--they all did this and a lot more, haying, pulling bushes, clearing land.  You get the point.  These guys were MEN in high school, as were most young men in those days.  Farm kids are still like this and some rural kids, but I think all kids today don't have enough physical stuff to do.  Playing baseball was fun for those guys back in the day, not work.

Sections
Shortcuts