A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to mef429's comment:

moon, you should really join us in the gameday chat. lots of great posters show up and discuss the game. you'd like it.

Maybe it's changed since I last went there years ago, but there were too many posters making definitive judgements over one AB or even one pitch. One thing that really gets to me, is small sample size rants. 

Anyways, I rarely watch the games live anymore. Time is too important to me to spend so much time waiting for the commercials to end. I tape the games and then fast forward through the commercials. It gives me more time with the family. I'm on central time here in Texas, so the games start during dinner. 

Maybe on a west coast game, I'll try again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Love seein Lester go 7.... he has been very good out of the gate. This is great news.

Although I do not believe in superstitions, I'm knocking on wood. Lester has been "the man" and Buch "the other man". If these two can keep up this pace for 32 starts each, we may not need greatness from the other 3-5+ starters used this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

moon, you should really join us in the gameday chat. lots of great posters show up and discuss the game. you'd like it.

Maybe it's changed since I last went there years ago, but there were too many posters making definitive judgements over one AB or even one pitch. One thing that really gets to me, is small sample size rants. 

Anyways, I rarely watch the games live anymore. Time is too important to me to spend so much time waiting for the commercials to end. I tape the games and then fast forward through the commercials. It gives me more time with the family. I'm on central time here in Texas, so the games start during dinner. 

it's not the standard BDC forum gamethread. It's a seperate chatroom ran through the Chatzy chatroom service. southpaw, baldy, youk, joel and many other quality posters are regulars there during the games. No whiners, pot-stirrers or pink hats. maybe when we head to the left coast i'll post the link so you can check it out. Everyone agrees it is much better than the BDC gamethreads. you don't need to register or anything like that. Just copy/paste the URL and go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

it's not the standard BDC forum gamethread. It's a seperate chatroom ran through the Chatzy chatroom service. southpaw, baldy, youk, joel and many other quality posters are regulars there during the games. No whiners, pot-stirrers or pink hats. maybe when we head to the left coast i'll post the link so you can check it out. Everyone agrees it is much better than the BDC gamethreads. you don't need to register or anything like that. Just copy/paste the URL and go.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I know in one of my spring training reports I mentioned Clay and the Cy Young award in the same sentence. His stuff has always been tremendous, just needed to be harnessed and consistent. Today was one of those days. And he's been in this groove since the start of ST. He had a great line after the game today when a reporter asked him to compare today's effort with his no-no from six years ago. His reply was that he was afraid to shake off the captain! But now that he's more experienced he can shake off a catcher if he wants, but having said that, he and Salty seemed to really be on the same page all day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Jid, I applaud your son.  He certainly sounds talented, motivated, and hard working.  And, he's a great size to boot! Will the old man let him sign with someone if it interferes with college?(laughing and crying at the same time).

I can relate to the difference in conditioning.  Me, like some of us older gas-bags, chopped wood, played baseball from day till night like Moon, hauled bales of hay, or carried bundles of shingles up ladders as our form of exercise. Like you, I didn't know about weights at all.

It surprises me that Ryan, who's no kid and threw with longevity, can't share some of his conditioning techniques with Texas, if they were any different that the ordinary.  Actually, I read posts here where the Texas staff doesn't go longer into games than any other team.  It just surprises me.

If the balls are wound tighter and the mound is lower, why are there not any more 500ft. homers?  If it's weights and conditioning, perhaps flexibility should looked at.

Amp, he's filled out to about 190 now and has another year of American Legion eligibility this year. He's at a D3 college and is not pitching this year because they already had ten pitchers. (Although in his unbiased dad's opinion, he's better than most of them;)).  He's looking forward to Legion season and pitching next year at Westfield State. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Closes thing we have to sitting in a Sox bar watching the game with fellow fans. The banter is light hearted, quick, sometimes sharp and always informative. Afterall, you want to go where everyone knows your name.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Sox are now leading the majors in stolen bases. With Ellbsury, Victorino, Pedroia they may have a shot this year in that department.

I wouldn't bank on it though!

I like our chances with Buchholz and Lester 1, 2 in a playoff situation. This is almost an ideal scenario the way it is building now. Good team defensively with the ability to manufacture runs if necessary. Solid pen and consistent run production, if not blow out power.

This team might be even better than the most optimistic of us projected. I like teams which can win with pitching and defense because those teams have an excellent shot in a playoff situation. A couple bats get hot and you can win a few short series. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Jid, I applaud your son.  He certainly sounds talented, motivated, and hard working.  And, he's a great size to boot! Will the old man let him sign with someone if it interferes with college?(laughing and crying at the same time).

I can relate to the difference in conditioning.  Me, like some of us older gas-bags, chopped wood, played baseball from day till night like Moon, hauled bales of hay, or carried bundles of shingles up ladders as our form of exercise. Like you, I didn't know about weights at all.

It surprises me that Ryan, who's no kid and threw with longevity, can't share some of his conditioning techniques with Texas, if they were any different that the ordinary.  Actually, I read posts here where the Texas staff doesn't go longer into games than any other team.  It just surprises me.

If the balls are wound tighter and the mound is lower, why are there not any more 500ft. homers?  If it's weights and conditioning, perhaps flexibility should looked at.

Amp, he's filled out to about 190 now and has another year of American Legion eligibility this year. He's at a D3 college and is not pitching this year because they already had ten pitchers. (Although in his unbiased dad's opinion, he's better than most of them;)).  He's looking forward to Legion season and pitching next year at Westfield State. 

I lived in Westfield before moving out west...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch looked great today. The one-two Lester Buch combo is shaping up nicely. 

A little context might be needed though; after the game today, 5 of the nine guys in the Rays line-up are at .200 or under.

Still, great game- big win. Nice start to the season- for once.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Did you guys see Kuroda pitch today? Imagine if we were able to sign him away from the Yanks. It would have nailed that door shut.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Buch looked great today. The one-two Lester Buch combo is shaping up nicely. 

A little context might be needed though; after the game today, 5 of the nine guys in the Rays line-up are at .200 or under.

Still, great game- big win. Nice start to the season- for once.

Yeah, but it's just nice to have our pitching staff keep it that way for a change. No head-scratchers like, idk, Shelly Duncan for example, coming out of nowhere and beat us. 

Diggin' the "scrappy" offense. The aggressivness seems to be putting pressure on the defenses to force throws and distract opposing pitching. Maddon said in the TBS in-game interview, down 4-0, something to the effect of not waiting for his Rays to hit the long ball and try to make stuff happen. ( So in essense, I thought, .. play like the Red Sox? )

Now here's the tough part, 3-5, where Sox might need a little more HR power. Hope Middy & Nap realize this. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Did you guys see Kuroda pitch today? Imagine if we were able to sign him away from the Yanks. It would have nailed that door shut.

i wanted us to sign him before the 2012 season. Everyone said hes a 38 year old NL pitcher!! he will get shelled in the ALE.

looks like he's got the cajones for the ALE..... woulda been our ace last season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i wanted us to sign him before the 2012 season. Everyone said hes a 38 year old NL pitcher!! he will get shelled in the ALE.

looks like he's got the cajones for the ALE..... woulda been our ace last season.

The ALE is not what it used to be, but this Kuroda guy is the real deal. He'd have been a better "get" than Dempster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The ALE is not what it used to be, but this Kuroda guy is the real deal. He'd have been a better "get" than Dempster.

a day late and a dollar short moon. He had no interest in leaving NY after last season. if we had any shot of having him under contract in 2013 it should have been done prior to the start of 2012. He said repeatedly this offseason that he would sign with NY or go to japan. Shoulda made a run at him sooner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

a day late and a dollar short moon. He had no interest in leaving NY after last season. if we had any shot of having him under contract in 2013 it should have been done prior to the start of 2012. He said repeatedly this offseason that he would sign with NY or go to japan. Shoulda made a run at him sooner.

Yes, you and boom were right about this guy right from teh start. Kudos on Kuroda.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

I lived in Westfield before moving out west...

You wouldn't recognize the campus today, it's really blossomed. That being said, what kind of crazy world are we living in today? I stood within feet of those explosions many times over the years with my family with me and my youngest on my shoulders, nasty!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some sick people out there these days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My heart and my prayers go out for all the innocent victims today.  Yes, evil cowards do exist...and, they're among us.

I don't know...but boy, Dempster sure has looked pretty decent to me...and not just today.  I don't know how he does it, but watching him it's not hard to see why he's been around for so long.  He seems like the consummate professional.

I just hope his effectiveness continues a time or two around the league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's definitely not a knock on Bradley, but his youth and inexperience showed a little today in the field.  The guy really over extended his attempt in the ninth inning.  Obviously, it should have played as a single to prevent the runner from going to second.

We lucked out on the play...Bailey got the next guy out.  But with a little seasoning, I think he'll be fine.

I think a lot of us got wrapped up in the hype and I'm certainly guilty of that.

I pray that Uehara isn't over used.  The guy has been nothing short of sensational so far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I wish they had a like system here because your last 2 posts were very high quality Amp!

You are a first class guy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wish they had a like system here because your last 2 posts were very high quality Amp!

You are a first class guy!

Thank you....you're making me blush.  I think the same of you, Boom.

Well, the next time you're driving up I-5, let me know and I'll throw a steak on the grill for you.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Kind of makes the forum little adolescent boys who act like they are 12 yrs. old but are 60+ calling Dempster by the name of Dumpster look foolish. Why do "Red Sox" fans act so childish all of the time and why do regulars keep responding to them every day and taking them seriously? Why not put such trolls that act like Beavis and Butthead onto ignore. Wht not boot the kiddy trolls out of the forum. Why enable them? The same juveniles called Crawford as Crawful, Crawbust and Lackey as Slackey and  Lackluster. and Papelbon as Papsmear, and Papi as Big Sloppy. I an talking about Softlaw, Pumpsie, Georom, and Seabeachfred here - not pulling any punches. Why can't the forum stop ebnabling the little children?

please keep the topic related to baseball pike.. i know it is hard for you to talk baseball but please be respectful to the true baseball minds on the forum who come to this thread to get away from the drama.

anywho, Dempster has exceeded even my expectations. he's been great so far this season. hopefully he can keep up the good work and keep surprising. Then again, Softlaw DID say he was going to suck so naturally he will be great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Kind of makes the forum little adolescent boys who act like they are 12 yrs. old but are 60+ calling Dempster by the name of Dumpster look foolish. Why do "Red Sox" fans act so childish all of the time and why do regulars keep responding to them every day and taking them seriously? Why not put such trolls that act like Beavis and Butthead onto ignore. Wht not boot the kiddy trolls out of the forum. Why enable them? The same juveniles called Crawford as Crawful, Crawbust and Lackey as Slackey and  Lackluster. and Papelbon as Papsmear, and Papi as Big Sloppy. I an talking about Softlaw, Pumpsie, Georom, and Seabeachfred here - not pulling any punches. Why can't the forum stop ebnabling the little children?

Stop interupting good baseball discussions with your rants on various posters proclivities. 

Please, take it elsewhere. This thread is about baseball only, or at least we try to stay on that topic alone.