A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to jidgef's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

As far as pitchers 'going all out' for 5 innings or whatever because bullpens now are intended to be utilized more is not true.  Actually, it's the other way around.  Pitchers are asked to 'pace' themselves more.

Non of this answers how a Verlander or Ryan slipped through.  Actually, Verlander's velocity increases as the game progresses.  And, these two guys I consider to be power pitchers from the 'modern' era.

When did the ball change?  The height of the mound changed too, but I think that it was lowered to give a little more advantage to the hitter because, at that time, baseball was perceived to be a little boring and more home runs were needed to spice the game up.

With the lower mound, I would think there would be longer home runs today.

Incidentally, this is all off the top of my head.  So, I may be completely wrong on the mound issue.

Amp, you are correct about the mound; it was lowered, I believe, between the 1968-1969 seasons. Yaz won the '68 batting title with a .301 average and was the only 300 hitter. Gibson had an insane season for St. Louis; I think he threw 13 shutouts. I think there have been a few ball changes, different manufacturers who wind the ball tighter.

Last summer my son was the winning pitcher in the State American Legion semi-final game and he threw 149 pitches. We lost the finals the next day and he wouldn't have pitched then anyway, obviously. But had we won the finals, we would not have played for eight days, so there was no reason to not stretch him out. He's 6'3" and at the time weighed 175 lbs., long and lean. He throws year-round, one hour once a week in the off season, and has never had a sore arm. He also does an exercise where he makes and releases a fist inside a bucket of rice for about 15 minutes every day. He throws as many breaking balls as fastballs. It's all about conditioning. I understand the owners' feeling today about protecting their investments, but the best protection in my opinion is better conditioning and more work. There is certainly some credence to Crit's comments about the workout habits and just general strength of today's teens. They spend more time in the gym than they do actually playing their sport. And they certainly don't do the chores that we or our dads did!

Great post.

I remember playing sports from sun up to sun down every chance I got. I never lifted a weight in a gym until my 30's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Updated after the Rays game:

Sox leaders in OBP:

1) Nava  .483

2) Iggy   .476

3) Ciri     .429

4) Pedey  .400

5) S. Vict  .378

6) Gomes .364

7) Salty    .345

8) JBJ       .313

9) Ellsb     .286

10) Midd   .262

11) Drew   .250

12) Napo   .233

13) Ross    .167

14) Carp   .000

SLG%

1) Nava  .826

2) Midd   .575

2) Iggy  .550

4) Ciri    .500

5) Salt    .480

6) Ells    .447

7) Ross   .417

8) Napo  .405

9) Vict    .366

10) Ped    .316

11) Gom   .235

12) JBJ     .160

13) Drew  .100

14) Carp  .000

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Who needs Manny Ramirez when you have Daniel Nava?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

moon, you should really join us in the gameday chat. lots of great posters show up and discuss the game. you'd like it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm hesitant to join chat lines I've never heard of. When I can chat right here just as well. Not going there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'm hesitant to join chat lines I've never heard of. When I can chat right here just as well. Not going there.

no worries. we only use it during the games anyway. the forum gamethreads are nice but having to constantly refresh your page gets annoying after awhile especially when the results are "NICE HIT!" or "good pitch"

btw, you play ToR??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm now a fully trained Jedi worthy of Softy's allegiance. Too bad the force is not strong in my disciple.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

no worries. we only use it during the games anyway. the forum gamethreads are nice but having to constantly refresh your page gets annoying after awhile especially when the results are "NICE HIT!" or "good pitch"

btw, you play ToR??

No I don't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Jid, I applaud your son.  He certainly sounds talented, motivated, and hard working.  And, he's a great size to boot! Will the old man let him sign with someone if it interferes with college?(laughing and crying at the same time).

I can relate to the difference in conditioning.  Me, like some of us older gas-bags, chopped wood, played baseball from day till night like Moon, hauled bales of hay, or carried bundles of shingles up ladders as our form of exercise. Like you, I didn't know about weights at all.

It surprises me that Ryan, who's no kid and threw with longevity, can't share some of his conditioning techniques with Texas, if they were any different that the ordinary.  Actually, I read posts here where the Texas staff doesn't go longer into games than any other team.  It just surprises me.

If the balls are wound tighter and the mound is lower, why are there not any more 500ft. homers?  If it's weights and conditioning, perhaps flexibility should looked at.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Great move by Farrell today taking Hanrahan out. I couldn't watch it...we only get network west coast feeds out here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Jid, I applaud your son.  He certainly sounds talented, motivated, and hard working.  And, he's a great size to boot! Will the old man let him sign with someone if it interferes with college?(laughing and crying at the same time).

I can relate to the difference in conditioning.  Me, like some of us older gas-bags, chopped wood, played baseball from day till night like Moon, hauled bales of hay, or carried bundles of shingles up ladders as our form of exercise. Like you, I didn't know about weights at all.

It surprises me that Ryan, who's no kid and threw with longevity, can't share some of his conditioning techniques with Texas, if they were any different that the ordinary.  Actually, I read posts here where the Texas staff doesn't go longer into games than any other team.  It just surprises me.

If the balls are wound tighter and the mound is lower, why are there not any more 500ft. homers?  If it's weights and conditioning, perhaps flexibility should looked at.

"500 foot homeruns";  Adam Dunn 504' 9-27-08, A. Ramirez 495' 9-21-07, W. Balentien 495' 10-2-09, G. Stanton 494' 8-17-12 According to ESPN hit tracker. Looks like it happens more than you might think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

"500 foot homeruns";  Adam Dunn 504' 9-27-08, A. Ramirez 495' 9-21-07, W. Balentien 495' 10-2-09, G. Stanton 494' 8-17-12 According to ESPN hit tracker. Looks like it happens more than you might think.

Maybe I'm delusional, but 5 of them(1 actually) since 2008 doesn't, to me, seem like 'more than you might think'.

Mickey Mantle's 10 Longest Home Runs Index
    (Click on the Distance to Go to that Home Run)

RANK DISTANCE DATE OPPONENT BALLPARK PITCHER HR SIDE

734 ft. 5/22/63 Kansas City A's Yankee Stadium Bill Fischer Left 2. 656 ft. 3/26/51 U.S.C. Bovard Field Tom Lovrich Left 3. 650 ft. 6/11/53 Detroit Tigers Briggs Stadium Art Houteman Left 4. 643 ft. 9/10/60 Detroit Tigers Tiger Stadium Paul Foytack Left 5. 630 ft. 9/12/53 Detroit Tigers Yankee Stadium Billy Hoeft Left 6. 620 ft. 5/30/56 Washington Senators Yankee Stadium Pedro Ramos Left 7. 565 ft. 4/17/53 Washington Senators Griffith Stadium Chuck Stobbs Right 8. 550 ft. 6/05/55 Chicago White Sox Comiskey Park Billy Pierce Right 9. 535 ft. 7/06/53 Philadelphia Athletics Connie Mack Stadium Frank Fanovich Right 10. 530 ft. 4/28/53 St. Louis Browns Busch Stadium Bob Cain Right

P.S. This was with the higher mound, so the pitcher had an 'advantage'.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, you should really join us in the gameday chat. lots of great posters show up and discuss the game. you'd like it.

Maybe it's changed since I last went there years ago, but there were too many posters making definitive judgements over one AB or even one pitch. One thing that really gets to me, is small sample size rants. 

Anyways, I rarely watch the games live anymore. Time is too important to me to spend so much time waiting for the commercials to end. I tape the games and then fast forward through the commercials. It gives me more time with the family. I'm on central time here in Texas, so the games start during dinner. 

Maybe on a west coast game, I'll try again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Love seein Lester go 7.... he has been very good out of the gate. This is great news.

Although I do not believe in superstitions, I'm knocking on wood. Lester has been "the man" and Buch "the other man". If these two can keep up this pace for 32 starts each, we may not need greatness from the other 3-5+ starters used this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Maybe it's changed since I last went there years ago, but there were too many posters making definitive judgements over one AB or even one pitch. One thing that really gets to me, is small sample size rants. 

Anyways, I rarely watch the games live anymore. Time is too important to me to spend so much time waiting for the commercials to end. I tape the games and then fast forward through the commercials. It gives me more time with the family. I'm on central time here in Texas, so the games start during dinner. 

it's not the standard BDC forum gamethread. It's a seperate chatroom ran through the Chatzy chatroom service. southpaw, baldy, youk, joel and many other quality posters are regulars there during the games. No whiners, pot-stirrers or pink hats. maybe when we head to the left coast i'll post the link so you can check it out. Everyone agrees it is much better than the BDC gamethreads. you don't need to register or anything like that. Just copy/paste the URL and go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

it's not the standard BDC forum gamethread. It's a seperate chatroom ran through the Chatzy chatroom service. southpaw, baldy, youk, joel and many other quality posters are regulars there during the games. No whiners, pot-stirrers or pink hats. maybe when we head to the left coast i'll post the link so you can check it out. Everyone agrees it is much better than the BDC gamethreads. you don't need to register or anything like that. Just copy/paste the URL and go.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I know in one of my spring training reports I mentioned Clay and the Cy Young award in the same sentence. His stuff has always been tremendous, just needed to be harnessed and consistent. Today was one of those days. And he's been in this groove since the start of ST. He had a great line after the game today when a reporter asked him to compare today's effort with his no-no from six years ago. His reply was that he was afraid to shake off the captain! But now that he's more experienced he can shake off a catcher if he wants, but having said that, he and Salty seemed to really be on the same page all day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Amp, he's filled out to about 190 now and has another year of American Legion eligibility this year. He's at a D3 college and is not pitching this year because they already had ten pitchers. (Although in his unbiased dad's opinion, he's better than most of them;)).  He's looking forward to Legion season and pitching next year at Westfield State. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Closes thing we have to sitting in a Sox bar watching the game with fellow fans. The banter is light hearted, quick, sometimes sharp and always informative. Afterall, you want to go where everyone knows your name.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Sox are now leading the majors in stolen bases. With Ellbsury, Victorino, Pedroia they may have a shot this year in that department.

I wouldn't bank on it though!

I like our chances with Buchholz and Lester 1, 2 in a playoff situation. This is almost an ideal scenario the way it is building now. Good team defensively with the ability to manufacture runs if necessary. Solid pen and consistent run production, if not blow out power.

This team might be even better than the most optimistic of us projected. I like teams which can win with pitching and defense because those teams have an excellent shot in a playoff situation. A couple bats get hot and you can win a few short series. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Amp, he's filled out to about 190 now and has another year of American Legion eligibility this year. He's at a D3 college and is not pitching this year because they already had ten pitchers. (Although in his unbiased dad's opinion, he's better than most of them;)).  He's looking forward to Legion season and pitching next year at Westfield State. 

I lived in Westfield before moving out west...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch looked great today. The one-two Lester Buch combo is shaping up nicely. 

A little context might be needed though; after the game today, 5 of the nine guys in the Rays line-up are at .200 or under.

Still, great game- big win. Nice start to the season- for once.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Did you guys see Kuroda pitch today? Imagine if we were able to sign him away from the Yanks. It would have nailed that door shut.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Buch looked great today. The one-two Lester Buch combo is shaping up nicely. 

A little context might be needed though; after the game today, 5 of the nine guys in the Rays line-up are at .200 or under.

Still, great game- big win. Nice start to the season- for once.

Yeah, but it's just nice to have our pitching staff keep it that way for a change. No head-scratchers like, idk, Shelly Duncan for example, coming out of nowhere and beat us. 

Diggin' the "scrappy" offense. The aggressivness seems to be putting pressure on the defenses to force throws and distract opposing pitching. Maddon said in the TBS in-game interview, down 4-0, something to the effect of not waiting for his Rays to hit the long ball and try to make stuff happen. ( So in essense, I thought, .. play like the Red Sox? )

Now here's the tough part, 3-5, where Sox might need a little more HR power. Hope Middy & Nap realize this. 

Sections
Shortcuts