A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Did you guys see Kuroda pitch today? Imagine if we were able to sign him away from the Yanks. It would have nailed that door shut.

i wanted us to sign him before the 2012 season. Everyone said hes a 38 year old NL pitcher!! he will get shelled in the ALE.

looks like he's got the cajones for the ALE..... woulda been our ace last season.

The ALE is not what it used to be, but this Kuroda guy is the real deal. He'd have been a better "get" than Dempster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Did you guys see Kuroda pitch today? Imagine if we were able to sign him away from the Yanks. It would have nailed that door shut.

i wanted us to sign him before the 2012 season. Everyone said hes a 38 year old NL pitcher!! he will get shelled in the ALE.

looks like he's got the cajones for the ALE..... woulda been our ace last season.

The ALE is not what it used to be, but this Kuroda guy is the real deal. He'd have been a better "get" than Dempster.

a day late and a dollar short moon. He had no interest in leaving NY after last season. if we had any shot of having him under contract in 2013 it should have been done prior to the start of 2012. He said repeatedly this offseason that he would sign with NY or go to japan. Shoulda made a run at him sooner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

a day late and a dollar short moon. He had no interest in leaving NY after last season. if we had any shot of having him under contract in 2013 it should have been done prior to the start of 2012. He said repeatedly this offseason that he would sign with NY or go to japan. Shoulda made a run at him sooner.

Yes, you and boom were right about this guy right from teh start. Kudos on Kuroda.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

Jid, I applaud your son.  He certainly sounds talented, motivated, and hard working.  And, he's a great size to boot! Will the old man let him sign with someone if it interferes with college?(laughing and crying at the same time).

I can relate to the difference in conditioning.  Me, like some of us older gas-bags, chopped wood, played baseball from day till night like Moon, hauled bales of hay, or carried bundles of shingles up ladders as our form of exercise. Like you, I didn't know about weights at all.

It surprises me that Ryan, who's no kid and threw with longevity, can't share some of his conditioning techniques with Texas, if they were any different that the ordinary.  Actually, I read posts here where the Texas staff doesn't go longer into games than any other team.  It just surprises me.

If the balls are wound tighter and the mound is lower, why are there not any more 500ft. homers?  If it's weights and conditioning, perhaps flexibility should looked at.

Amp, he's filled out to about 190 now and has another year of American Legion eligibility this year. He's at a D3 college and is not pitching this year because they already had ten pitchers. (Although in his unbiased dad's opinion, he's better than most of them;)).  He's looking forward to Legion season and pitching next year at Westfield State. 

I lived in Westfield before moving out west...

You wouldn't recognize the campus today, it's really blossomed. That being said, what kind of crazy world are we living in today? I stood within feet of those explosions many times over the years with my family with me and my youngest on my shoulders, nasty!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some sick people out there these days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My heart and my prayers go out for all the innocent victims today.  Yes, evil cowards do exist...and, they're among us.

I don't know...but boy, Dempster sure has looked pretty decent to me...and not just today.  I don't know how he does it, but watching him it's not hard to see why he's been around for so long.  He seems like the consummate professional.

I just hope his effectiveness continues a time or two around the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's definitely not a knock on Bradley, but his youth and inexperience showed a little today in the field.  The guy really over extended his attempt in the ninth inning.  Obviously, it should have played as a single to prevent the runner from going to second.

We lucked out on the play...Bailey got the next guy out.  But with a little seasoning, I think he'll be fine.

I think a lot of us got wrapped up in the hype and I'm certainly guilty of that.

I pray that Uehara isn't over used.  The guy has been nothing short of sensational so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I wish they had a like system here because your last 2 posts were very high quality Amp!

You are a first class guy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wish they had a like system here because your last 2 posts were very high quality Amp!

You are a first class guy!

Thank you....you're making me blush.  I think the same of you, Boom.

Well, the next time you're driving up I-5, let me know and I'll throw a steak on the grill for you.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Kind of makes the forum little adolescent boys who act like they are 12 yrs. old but are 60+ calling Dempster by the name of Dumpster look foolish. Why do "Red Sox" fans act so childish all of the time and why do regulars keep responding to them every day and taking them seriously? Why not put such trolls that act like Beavis and Butthead onto ignore. Wht not boot the kiddy trolls out of the forum. Why enable them? The same juveniles called Crawford as Crawful, Crawbust and Lackey as Slackey and  Lackluster. and Papelbon as Papsmear, and Papi as Big Sloppy. I an talking about Softlaw, Pumpsie, Georom, and Seabeachfred here - not pulling any punches. Why can't the forum stop ebnabling the little children?

please keep the topic related to baseball pike.. i know it is hard for you to talk baseball but please be respectful to the true baseball minds on the forum who come to this thread to get away from the drama.

anywho, Dempster has exceeded even my expectations. he's been great so far this season. hopefully he can keep up the good work and keep surprising. Then again, Softlaw DID say he was going to suck so naturally he will be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Kind of makes the forum little adolescent boys who act like they are 12 yrs. old but are 60+ calling Dempster by the name of Dumpster look foolish. Why do "Red Sox" fans act so childish all of the time and why do regulars keep responding to them every day and taking them seriously? Why not put such trolls that act like Beavis and Butthead onto ignore. Wht not boot the kiddy trolls out of the forum. Why enable them? The same juveniles called Crawford as Crawful, Crawbust and Lackey as Slackey and  Lackluster. and Papelbon as Papsmear, and Papi as Big Sloppy. I an talking about Softlaw, Pumpsie, Georom, and Seabeachfred here - not pulling any punches. Why can't the forum stop ebnabling the little children?

Stop interupting good baseball discussions with your rants on various posters proclivities. 

Please, take it elsewhere. This thread is about baseball only, or at least we try to stay on that topic alone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's definitely not a knock on Bradley, but his youth and inexperience showed a little today in the field.  The guy really over extended his attempt in the ninth inning.  Obviously, it should have played as a single to prevent the runner from going to second.

We lucked out on the play...Bailey got the next guy out.  But with a little seasoning, I think he'll be fine.

I think a lot of us got wrapped up in the hype and I'm certainly guilty of that.

I pray that Uehara isn't over used.  The guy has been nothing short of sensational so far.

Great posts amp, as usual.

I'm with you on Uehara. We need to pace this guy. It's nice that some of our starters are going deeper this year, but with Aceves in the rotation, and Breslow out, it might be tough to keep him out of close games.

I'm wondering if bringing Webtser up and returning Aceves to the pen might be the best solution to any extended Lackey injury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'm with you on Uehara. We need to pace this guy. It's nice that some of our starters are going deeper this year, but with Aceves in the rotation, and Breslow out, it might be tough to keep him out of close games.

I'm wondering if bringing Webtser up and returning Aceves to the pen might be the best solution to any extended Lackey injury.

i agree. especially with Hanny not being available right now and Breslow/Morales still weeks away.

BTW, anyone have any updates on Breslow and Iceman? last i knew Breslow was slated to return before Morales but haven't heard if they had started throwing yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thank you for the kind words.

Actually, I was thinking the EXACT thing with Webster/Aceves but didn't want to hog up the thread with another post.

Getting Breslow back, I think is imperative.  It would take some of the pressure off using Uehara.  And, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Breslow have relatively good numbers against righties?

Contrary to what Aceves might think, I think he's proven without a shadow of a doubt that he's best in long/middle relief.  Of course, if Wilson and Mortensen continue to be effective, and with a healthy Breslow, Aceves may be expendible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Contrary to what Aceves might think, I think he's proven without a shadow of a doubt that he's best in long/middle relief.

I totally agree on this about Aceves. He should only start as an emergency. He should not have been made the closer, but I understand the circumstances made it hard not to give it try.

I know Aceves has issues, but he was one of the games best mid-long men of the past 5 years. I think he needs a chance to get comfortable in that role again, but who knows how long his "leash" will be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our staff is now missing Lackey, Hanrahan, Morales, and Breslow, and yet we are still looking strong.

I'm glad we didn't make that 2 or 3 for one deal I suggested earlier, if we want to have a good sgot this year. Of course, if we drop out of it and don't make the playoffs, we might wish we had.

I'm glad we beat the Rays. I still think they are the team to beat in the ALE this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Our staff is now missing Lackey, Hanrahan, Morales, and Breslow, and yet we are still looking strong.

I'm glad we didn't make that 2 or 3 for one deal I suggested earlier, if we want to have a good sgot this year. Of course, if we drop out of it and don't make the playoffs, we might wish we had.

I'm glad we beat the Rays. I still think they are the team to beat in the ALE this year.

when i mentioned trading away some of our excess pitching you advised against it because 1 or 2 people would likely go down and that depth could prove invaluable so IDK what you are talking about moon.

Also, if we drop out of the race we can still deal our expendable assets.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

when i mentioned trading away some of our excess pitching you advised against it because 1 or 2 people would likely go down and that depth could prove invaluable so IDK what you are talking about moon.

Also, if we drop out of the race we can still deal our expendable assets.

All winter long I mentioned making roster room for players we will eventually lose. I continously mentioned trading 2-3 pitchers to get 1 better one. Yes, I cautioned about an injury problem, but as you know, I pretty much wrote off this season, so I said it wouldn't really make a difference anyways.

Yes, I know we can trade some guys if we are 8-10 down at the deadline, or even some waiver deals in August. That was one of the few pluses I saw in all these "bridge signings". I'm hoping I was all wrong about my outlook on 2013, and the Lester-Buch tandem has been so impressive, they alone can help us get over some of our weaknesses... if they stay healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

It's always ironic to me how an incident like the bombing in Boston illustrates the worst and then the best of mankind--the act and then how some respond.

Catching up on the last three or four pages; really enjoyed most of the discussion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crit,

You going to Maine this summer?

I'll be there probably from July 16th to the 31st. Let's catch a SeaDogs game with a bunch of other BDC posters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After 13 games under the belt:

OBP

.448 Gomes

.432 Nava

... and people were worried about LF production this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm surprised Gomes is higher than Nava..shocked, as a matter of fact.

Nava struck out four times tonight which is very very unusual for him.  I hope he's not hurt.

I was hoping they'd bring Wright into the game with a large lead to see how he'd do.

Napoli's defense was outstanding today.  Of course, the big base clearing double was not chopped liver..Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts