A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to ampoule's comment:

It's definitely not a knock on Bradley, but his youth and inexperience showed a little today in the field.  The guy really over extended his attempt in the ninth inning.  Obviously, it should have played as a single to prevent the runner from going to second.

We lucked out on the play...Bailey got the next guy out.  But with a little seasoning, I think he'll be fine.

I think a lot of us got wrapped up in the hype and I'm certainly guilty of that.

I pray that Uehara isn't over used.  The guy has been nothing short of sensational so far.

Great posts amp, as usual.

I'm with you on Uehara. We need to pace this guy. It's nice that some of our starters are going deeper this year, but with Aceves in the rotation, and Breslow out, it might be tough to keep him out of close games.

I'm wondering if bringing Webtser up and returning Aceves to the pen might be the best solution to any extended Lackey injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's definitely not a knock on Bradley, but his youth and inexperience showed a little today in the field.  The guy really over extended his attempt in the ninth inning.  Obviously, it should have played as a single to prevent the runner from going to second.

We lucked out on the play...Bailey got the next guy out.  But with a little seasoning, I think he'll be fine.

I think a lot of us got wrapped up in the hype and I'm certainly guilty of that.

I pray that Uehara isn't over used.  The guy has been nothing short of sensational so far.

I'm with you on Uehara. We need to pace this guy. It's nice that some of our starters are going deeper this year, but with Aceves in the rotation, and Breslow out, it might be tough to keep him out of close games.

I'm wondering if bringing Webtser up and returning Aceves to the pen might be the best solution to any extended Lackey injury.

i agree. especially with Hanny not being available right now and Breslow/Morales still weeks away.

BTW, anyone have any updates on Breslow and Iceman? last i knew Breslow was slated to return before Morales but haven't heard if they had started throwing yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thank you for the kind words.

Actually, I was thinking the EXACT thing with Webster/Aceves but didn't want to hog up the thread with another post.

Getting Breslow back, I think is imperative.  It would take some of the pressure off using Uehara.  And, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Breslow have relatively good numbers against righties?

Contrary to what Aceves might think, I think he's proven without a shadow of a doubt that he's best in long/middle relief.  Of course, if Wilson and Mortensen continue to be effective, and with a healthy Breslow, Aceves may be expendible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Contrary to what Aceves might think, I think he's proven without a shadow of a doubt that he's best in long/middle relief.

I totally agree on this about Aceves. He should only start as an emergency. He should not have been made the closer, but I understand the circumstances made it hard not to give it try.

I know Aceves has issues, but he was one of the games best mid-long men of the past 5 years. I think he needs a chance to get comfortable in that role again, but who knows how long his "leash" will be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our staff is now missing Lackey, Hanrahan, Morales, and Breslow, and yet we are still looking strong.

I'm glad we didn't make that 2 or 3 for one deal I suggested earlier, if we want to have a good sgot this year. Of course, if we drop out of it and don't make the playoffs, we might wish we had.

I'm glad we beat the Rays. I still think they are the team to beat in the ALE this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Our staff is now missing Lackey, Hanrahan, Morales, and Breslow, and yet we are still looking strong.

I'm glad we didn't make that 2 or 3 for one deal I suggested earlier, if we want to have a good sgot this year. Of course, if we drop out of it and don't make the playoffs, we might wish we had.

I'm glad we beat the Rays. I still think they are the team to beat in the ALE this year.

when i mentioned trading away some of our excess pitching you advised against it because 1 or 2 people would likely go down and that depth could prove invaluable so IDK what you are talking about moon.

Also, if we drop out of the race we can still deal our expendable assets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

when i mentioned trading away some of our excess pitching you advised against it because 1 or 2 people would likely go down and that depth could prove invaluable so IDK what you are talking about moon.

Also, if we drop out of the race we can still deal our expendable assets.

All winter long I mentioned making roster room for players we will eventually lose. I continously mentioned trading 2-3 pitchers to get 1 better one. Yes, I cautioned about an injury problem, but as you know, I pretty much wrote off this season, so I said it wouldn't really make a difference anyways.

Yes, I know we can trade some guys if we are 8-10 down at the deadline, or even some waiver deals in August. That was one of the few pluses I saw in all these "bridge signings". I'm hoping I was all wrong about my outlook on 2013, and the Lester-Buch tandem has been so impressive, they alone can help us get over some of our weaknesses... if they stay healthy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

It's always ironic to me how an incident like the bombing in Boston illustrates the worst and then the best of mankind--the act and then how some respond.

Catching up on the last three or four pages; really enjoyed most of the discussion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crit,

You going to Maine this summer?

I'll be there probably from July 16th to the 31st. Let's catch a SeaDogs game with a bunch of other BDC posters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After 13 games under the belt:

OBP

.448 Gomes

.432 Nava

... and people were worried about LF production this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm surprised Gomes is higher than Nava..shocked, as a matter of fact.

Nava struck out four times tonight which is very very unusual for him.  I hope he's not hurt.

I was hoping they'd bring Wright into the game with a large lead to see how he'd do.

Napoli's defense was outstanding today.  Of course, the big base clearing double was not chopped liver..Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Nava struck out four times tonight which is very very unusual for him.  I hope he's not hurt.

I was hoping they'd bring Wright into the game with a large lead to see how he'd do.

Napoli's defense was outstanding today.  Of course, the big base clearing double was not chopped liver..Laughing

I think Farrell was saving Wright for long relief in the event that Aceves is knocked out early tomorrow night. Hope that does not happen , but it is a real possibility. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think Farrell was saving Wright for long relief in the event that Aceves is knocked out early tomorrow night. Hope that does not happen , but it is a real possibility. 

Good point..it makes sense.

I'd rather see a patch job with long relievers until Lackey recovers.  But, the season being as long as it is, I hope they don't rush Lackey back.

Like Moon mentioned earlier, I wonder why Webster hasn't been brought up.  Besides Aceves, Doubront hasn't really been a ball of fire either.  My guess is that if either one doesn't show much improvement, Webster will get his shot with one of the others, probably Aceves, moved to his comfortable long-relief role.

The point is, with Webster and Wright...and others on the farm , we're displaying a depth that has been sorely lacking in the past. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me Wright is probably not good option in any important relief appearances other than long mop up relief. He may never even see an inning this Spring.

I think they want to take Webster a little slowly although he has certainly done well so far. My god the stuff is there though and we all have more confidence in him overall. It would be best to let him develop more. I think they are taking an even more conservative approach with De LA Rosa, minimizing his innings for the first month possibly with the intention of using him quite a bit at some point this year. I don't think it's normal TJ caution. I really think it's an innings limit concern and they want to be able to use him later this year if they have to. He is probably closer to the majors than Wedster in many ways. They took a similar approach with Tazawa if I remember correctly. We should not be down on RDLR. He is a big part of their plans.

They have a lot of hopes tied up in both guys. And now Ranaudo is stepping up. I'm telling you, this team has a shot at greatness even this year. The depth is potentially there for us if needed. And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

We have better depth than most teams IMO. At SS, catcher, relief and starting pitchers. Even in the OF. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

One could make a strong case that the Redsox are right there with the Orioles and Rays and some other teams with stud pitching still on the farm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The most they're letting RDLR pitch is two innings per appearance. I heard Pedro was sorta mentoring him, but I was wondering how true that is? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

The most they're letting RDLR pitch is two innings per appearance. I heard Pedro was sorta mentoring him, but I was wondering how true that is? 

they are taking the opposite of the Starzburg approach.. Limiting his innings in the beginning of the season in case he needs to be used during the stretch run when it really matters. I've been saying all winter that RDLR would be up with the sox at some point this season and i still believe that. the sox only pitching him 2 innings at a time reinforces that.

and yes, i think it's pretty true. i heard that RDLR idolizes pedro and it certainly seemed like Pedro took him and Doobie under his wing during ST

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think the only real difference between RDLR and Webster is experience.  Given that, RDLR has the advantage.  But boy, what a problem to have, huh?? 

The little I've seen of RDLR, he was giving up a few bombs.  Of course, it was spring training and he, perhaps, was working on something.

Webster had a great last outing..5 innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 7 K's. RDLR only pitched a few innings in his last start, so it seems the organization is stretching RDLR slower probably due to his surgery.

And with Ranaudo on the bounce like you said, I think we really have reason for optimism.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

I was concerned about his WHIP finally catching up to him, and it's not looking any better this year after a tiny sample size (1.700).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

they are taking the opposite of the Starzburg approach.. Limiting his innings in the beginning of the season in case he needs to be used during the stretch run when it really matters. I've been saying all winter that RDLR would be up with the sox at some point this season and i still believe that. the sox only pitching him 2 innings at a time reinforces that.

and yes, i think it's pretty true. i heard that RDLR idolizes pedro and it certainly seemed like Pedro took him and Doobie under his wing during ST

I remember when Schilling was a Sox prospect and I believe it was Clemens who said something similar about him. Later, Schill credited that statement as lighting a fire under himself to beconme the best he could be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

I was concerned about his WHIP finally catching up to him, and it's not looking any better this year after a tiny sample size (1.700).

He reminds me of Dice-K in that he likes to nibble at the strike zone but unlike Dice-K he does tend to get out of jams more effectively. If he can trust his stuff and the D behind him and just attack the zone more he could be a really good pitcher. The swing and miss stuff is there and he can certainly get a K when he needs one but he definitely needs to work on limiting his PC per inning by being more aggresive with hitters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

He reminds me of Dice-K in that he likes to nibble at the strike zone but unlike Dice-K he does tend to get out of jams more effectively. If he can trust his stuff and the D behind him and just attack the zone more he could be a really good pitcher. The swing and miss stuff is there and he can certainly get a K when he needs one but he definitely needs to work on limiting his PC per inning by being more aggresive with hitters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, but these things are not always so easy to change in a pitcher. I'm remaining hopeful, as Doubie certainly has some nasty stuff out there!