A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to ampoule's comment:

I'm surprised Gomes is higher than Nava..shocked, as a matter of fact.

Nava struck out four times tonight which is very very unusual for him.  I hope he's not hurt.

I was hoping they'd bring Wright into the game with a large lead to see how he'd do.

Napoli's defense was outstanding today.  Of course, the big base clearing double was not chopped liver..Laughing

I think Farrell was saving Wright for long relief in the event that Aceves is knocked out early tomorrow night. Hope that does not happen , but it is a real possibility. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

I'm surprised Gomes is higher than Nava..shocked, as a matter of fact.

Nava struck out four times tonight which is very very unusual for him.  I hope he's not hurt.

I was hoping they'd bring Wright into the game with a large lead to see how he'd do.

Napoli's defense was outstanding today.  Of course, the big base clearing double was not chopped liver..Laughing

I think Farrell was saving Wright for long relief in the event that Aceves is knocked out early tomorrow night. Hope that does not happen , but it is a real possibility. 

Good point..it makes sense.

I'd rather see a patch job with long relievers until Lackey recovers.  But, the season being as long as it is, I hope they don't rush Lackey back.

Like Moon mentioned earlier, I wonder why Webster hasn't been brought up.  Besides Aceves, Doubront hasn't really been a ball of fire either.  My guess is that if either one doesn't show much improvement, Webster will get his shot with one of the others, probably Aceves, moved to his comfortable long-relief role.

The point is, with Webster and Wright...and others on the farm , we're displaying a depth that has been sorely lacking in the past. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me Wright is probably not good option in any important relief appearances other than long mop up relief. He may never even see an inning this Spring.

I think they want to take Webster a little slowly although he has certainly done well so far. My god the stuff is there though and we all have more confidence in him overall. It would be best to let him develop more. I think they are taking an even more conservative approach with De LA Rosa, minimizing his innings for the first month possibly with the intention of using him quite a bit at some point this year. I don't think it's normal TJ caution. I really think it's an innings limit concern and they want to be able to use him later this year if they have to. He is probably closer to the majors than Wedster in many ways. They took a similar approach with Tazawa if I remember correctly. We should not be down on RDLR. He is a big part of their plans.

They have a lot of hopes tied up in both guys. And now Ranaudo is stepping up. I'm telling you, this team has a shot at greatness even this year. The depth is potentially there for us if needed. And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

We have better depth than most teams IMO. At SS, catcher, relief and starting pitchers. Even in the OF. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

One could make a strong case that the Redsox are right there with the Orioles and Rays and some other teams with stud pitching still on the farm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The most they're letting RDLR pitch is two innings per appearance. I heard Pedro was sorta mentoring him, but I was wondering how true that is? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

The most they're letting RDLR pitch is two innings per appearance. I heard Pedro was sorta mentoring him, but I was wondering how true that is? 

they are taking the opposite of the Starzburg approach.. Limiting his innings in the beginning of the season in case he needs to be used during the stretch run when it really matters. I've been saying all winter that RDLR would be up with the sox at some point this season and i still believe that. the sox only pitching him 2 innings at a time reinforces that.

and yes, i think it's pretty true. i heard that RDLR idolizes pedro and it certainly seemed like Pedro took him and Doobie under his wing during ST

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think the only real difference between RDLR and Webster is experience.  Given that, RDLR has the advantage.  But boy, what a problem to have, huh?? 

The little I've seen of RDLR, he was giving up a few bombs.  Of course, it was spring training and he, perhaps, was working on something.

Webster had a great last outing..5 innings, 2 hits, 0 walks, 7 K's. RDLR only pitched a few innings in his last start, so it seems the organization is stretching RDLR slower probably due to his surgery.

And with Ranaudo on the bounce like you said, I think we really have reason for optimism.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

I was concerned about his WHIP finally catching up to him, and it's not looking any better this year after a tiny sample size (1.700).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

they are taking the opposite of the Starzburg approach.. Limiting his innings in the beginning of the season in case he needs to be used during the stretch run when it really matters. I've been saying all winter that RDLR would be up with the sox at some point this season and i still believe that. the sox only pitching him 2 innings at a time reinforces that.

and yes, i think it's pretty true. i heard that RDLR idolizes pedro and it certainly seemed like Pedro took him and Doobie under his wing during ST

I remember when Schilling was a Sox prospect and I believe it was Clemens who said something similar about him. Later, Schill credited that statement as lighting a fire under himself to beconme the best he could be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

And I'm not down on Doubront. His fundementals are better than his record so far this year. 

I was concerned about his WHIP finally catching up to him, and it's not looking any better this year after a tiny sample size (1.700).

He reminds me of Dice-K in that he likes to nibble at the strike zone but unlike Dice-K he does tend to get out of jams more effectively. If he can trust his stuff and the D behind him and just attack the zone more he could be a really good pitcher. The swing and miss stuff is there and he can certainly get a K when he needs one but he definitely needs to work on limiting his PC per inning by being more aggresive with hitters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

He reminds me of Dice-K in that he likes to nibble at the strike zone but unlike Dice-K he does tend to get out of jams more effectively. If he can trust his stuff and the D behind him and just attack the zone more he could be a really good pitcher. The swing and miss stuff is there and he can certainly get a K when he needs one but he definitely needs to work on limiting his PC per inning by being more aggresive with hitters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I agree, but these things are not always so easy to change in a pitcher. I'm remaining hopeful, as Doubie certainly has some nasty stuff out there!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

It's possible that a Nava / Gomes platoon could be one of the most offensively productive spots on the team overall. I think that is the plan. They didn't know if Nava would fill that slot but they got Gomes with that in mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Doubront strikes a lot of people out. He's still pretty young and gaining experience. His stuff isn't bad at all. I vaguely remember that the underlying data was good on him and that the stats pros thought his data projected him as being unlucky and/or capable of doing better over time.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Since my new avatar Softy hasn't come anywhere near me. And I added it just for him!

There are no droids here...move along...

I projected Miguel Pena as having a shot at mlb possibly yesterday. So much for that idea after he tested for some sort of substance abuse today. 2 more Dominican players with 50 game suspensions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Since my new avatar Softy hasn't come anywhere near me. And I added it just for him!

There are no droids here...move along...

I projected Miguel Pena as having a shot at mlb possibly yesterday. So much for that idea after he tested for some sort of substance abuse today. 2 more Dominican players with 50 game suspensions.

since you changed your avatar i've been seeing ToR ads on the forum. 'Tis Witchcraft!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

It's possible that a Nava / Gomes platoon could be one of the most offensively productive spots on the team overall. I think that is the plan. They didn't know if Nava would fill that slot but they got Gomes with that in mind.

Nava has always had a very good OBP vs RHPs. Before the year started, I mentioned that LF could end up being our best OBP position if we went with a strict platoon there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront strikes a lot of people out. He's still pretty young and gaining experience. His stuff isn't bad at all. I vaguely remember that the underlying data was good on him and that the stats pros thought his data projected him as being unlucky and/or capable of doing better over time.  

He has great stuff, so that type of pitcher always shows promise. His high K rate is proof that he has some skills. However, his high BB rate and pretty high H/9 rate have not seemed to be improved upon. It's still early in his career, but baseball is littered with pitchers with nasty stuff who could never harness the wildness or lack of the abilty to harness the skill in a more productive manner.

My main issue with Doubront has not really been so much about his high WHIP, although that is a big stat for me, it has been his seemingly (and I say "seemingly" because I do not know what goes on inside his head) lack of self discipline and conditioning. His WHIP in AAA + AA was over 1.35 in almost 300 IP. I advocated trading Doubront this past winter, in part for this reason, but mostly because I think he had high trade value, and we needed to upgrade our starting rotation any way we could. I know I could end up being terribly wrong with this position, but the continued high WHIP and attitude issues tilted me in that direction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Agree with moonslav on Doubront, but he's ours for now.  Maybe Farrell and the new pitching coach can turn him into a serious pitcher instead of the flake he seems to be.  Maybe a garter belt would help. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to M1A2's comment:

Agree with moonslav on Doubront, but he's ours for now.  Maybe Farrell and the new pitching coach can turn him into a serious pitcher instead of the flake he seems to be.  Maybe a garter belt would help. 

Also Dempster could have an influence on him. just being around all those other pitchers on the staff who go after guys along with Farrell and Nieves just might rub off on him and turn him into an agressive pitcher. we can hope anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to M1A2's comment:

Yes, he is ours, and I have not given up hope. He needs more time this year, before we can judge if he's turned things around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ladies and gentlemen, as of today Victorino had a UZR/150 of +69.6 and a DRS of 4 ALREADY in this short SS. Those are ungodly good defensive metrics and I don't think they even count today's game where he made a great catch and threw out yet another runner. He has been a spectacular sign so far.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ladies and gentlemen, as of today Victorino had a UZR/150 of +69.6 and a DRS of 4 ALREADY in this short SS. Those are ungodly good defensive metrics and I don't think they even count today's game where he made a great catch and threw out yet another runner. He has been a spectacular sign so far.

he has been the best player on the team so far IMO. he does everything right, good hitting (including hitting in the clutch), superior defense, excellent baserunning. and to think the "experts" were saying he was the worst signing of the winter.....

thank you Softy.

Sections
Shortcuts