A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

It's possible that a Nava / Gomes platoon could be one of the most offensively productive spots on the team overall. I think that is the plan. They didn't know if Nava would fill that slot but they got Gomes with that in mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Doubront strikes a lot of people out. He's still pretty young and gaining experience. His stuff isn't bad at all. I vaguely remember that the underlying data was good on him and that the stats pros thought his data projected him as being unlucky and/or capable of doing better over time.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Since my new avatar Softy hasn't come anywhere near me. And I added it just for him!

There are no droids here...move along...

I projected Miguel Pena as having a shot at mlb possibly yesterday. So much for that idea after he tested for some sort of substance abuse today. 2 more Dominican players with 50 game suspensions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Since my new avatar Softy hasn't come anywhere near me. And I added it just for him!

There are no droids here...move along...

I projected Miguel Pena as having a shot at mlb possibly yesterday. So much for that idea after he tested for some sort of substance abuse today. 2 more Dominican players with 50 game suspensions.

since you changed your avatar i've been seeing ToR ads on the forum. 'Tis Witchcraft!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Right now the Sox are subsisting on excellent starting pitching, which I think has a fair chance of holding up, barring injury of course.  Bullpen also looks pretty good. I think pitching overall is helped by having Farrell as manager and the new pitching coach.   Defense had been good too. 

The hitting has been timely, but not all that great. As moonslav pointed out, timely hitting comes and goes.   As I pointed out elsewhere, Ellsbury so far has an OPS of around .735, not good, but leads the team in runs scored and total bases (amazing, but true) and is second in hits and rbi's.  My point is I think he will get better, and I think others--Drew, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty--will too.  Plus Ortiz when he gets back.  Drew and Ortiz particularly should provide useful lefty bats against all those righty starters--all three at Cleveland this week, for example. 

Reportedly, Cherington's deal-making was driven in part by looking for players with good attitudes.  I have never believed in that stuff because MLB is such an individual game--the central reality of every game is hitter vs. pitchers--but maybe I need to rethink that position. 

Even without Iglesias and Bradley, the defense looks pretty decent out there.  I frankly prefer watching those two play, but can see the value of getting Drew and Nava into the lineup, at least for now. 

While Nava is no JBJ in LF, he's OK, especially in Fenway with the wall protecting him. Also, some better LF'ers than nava may misplay balls off the monster due to inexperience out there.

Some posters laughed at me when I said a Nava-Gomes strict platoon could make LF our best OBP position.  While they haven't played much LF so far, combining their OBPs would place them right up there.

It's possible that a Nava / Gomes platoon could be one of the most offensively productive spots on the team overall. I think that is the plan. They didn't know if Nava would fill that slot but they got Gomes with that in mind.

Nava has always had a very good OBP vs RHPs. Before the year started, I mentioned that LF could end up being our best OBP position if we went with a strict platoon there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront strikes a lot of people out. He's still pretty young and gaining experience. His stuff isn't bad at all. I vaguely remember that the underlying data was good on him and that the stats pros thought his data projected him as being unlucky and/or capable of doing better over time.  

He has great stuff, so that type of pitcher always shows promise. His high K rate is proof that he has some skills. However, his high BB rate and pretty high H/9 rate have not seemed to be improved upon. It's still early in his career, but baseball is littered with pitchers with nasty stuff who could never harness the wildness or lack of the abilty to harness the skill in a more productive manner.

My main issue with Doubront has not really been so much about his high WHIP, although that is a big stat for me, it has been his seemingly (and I say "seemingly" because I do not know what goes on inside his head) lack of self discipline and conditioning. His WHIP in AAA + AA was over 1.35 in almost 300 IP. I advocated trading Doubront this past winter, in part for this reason, but mostly because I think he had high trade value, and we needed to upgrade our starting rotation any way we could. I know I could end up being terribly wrong with this position, but the continued high WHIP and attitude issues tilted me in that direction.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Agree with moonslav on Doubront, but he's ours for now.  Maybe Farrell and the new pitching coach can turn him into a serious pitcher instead of the flake he seems to be.  Maybe a garter belt would help. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to M1A2's comment:

Agree with moonslav on Doubront, but he's ours for now.  Maybe Farrell and the new pitching coach can turn him into a serious pitcher instead of the flake he seems to be.  Maybe a garter belt would help. 

Also Dempster could have an influence on him. just being around all those other pitchers on the staff who go after guys along with Farrell and Nieves just might rub off on him and turn him into an agressive pitcher. we can hope anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, he is ours, and I have not given up hope. He needs more time this year, before we can judge if he's turned things around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ladies and gentlemen, as of today Victorino had a UZR/150 of +69.6 and a DRS of 4 ALREADY in this short SS. Those are ungodly good defensive metrics and I don't think they even count today's game where he made a great catch and threw out yet another runner. He has been a spectacular sign so far.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ladies and gentlemen, as of today Victorino had a UZR/150 of +69.6 and a DRS of 4 ALREADY in this short SS. Those are ungodly good defensive metrics and I don't think they even count today's game where he made a great catch and threw out yet another runner. He has been a spectacular sign so far.

he has been the best player on the team so far IMO. he does everything right, good hitting (including hitting in the clutch), superior defense, excellent baserunning. and to think the "experts" were saying he was the worst signing of the winter.....

thank you Softy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Don't forget that it is Moonslav's goal to keep this forum interesting, combative, controversial, and full of conflict. It is his BDC job.

is it possible for you to post about baseball?? try it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Thing about Doubrant is he's not exactly wild. He nibbles too much, and his youth and sullen attitude towards questionable calls work against him getting close calls. He'd do better with a robot umpire. 

As it is, he needs to put more trust in his stuff. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Don't forget that it is Moonslav's goal to keep this forum interesting, combative, controversial, and full of conflict. It is his BDC job.

Where do I pick up my check?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

His command of his pitches is an always as has always been the the problem  .                        He 's got enough stuff to win 18 or 20 someday the red sox know that.     Most all pitchers are flakey they just learn to control it with age   .Remember Bill Lee?

Bill was one of my favorite Sox players of all time.

His best WHIP in a full season was 1.233, and his career WHIP was 1.364, but his BB/9 was usually around 2.0 to 2.4 after starting off over 3.4 his first 4 partial or low IP seasons.

Felix has a career 4.1 BB/9 along with a 9.3 H/9. He was only 22-25 when putting up those numbers, so there is certainly time and room to improve.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree with the assesment of Victorino.  I had no idea he was this good.

What impressed me today, besides everything else, is when he bunted.  He sacrificed.  The whole world knew he was going to bunt, but he turned and admitted to the sacrifice....like a person is supposed to do when sacrificing....good, basic baseball.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

" The rose goes in the front, Big Guy "

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I agree with the assesment of Victorino.  I had no idea he was this good.

What impressed me today, besides everything else, is when he bunted.  He sacrificed.  The whole world knew he was going to bunt, but he turned and admitted to the sacrifice....like a person is supposed to do when sacrificing....good, basic baseball.

He has surprised me. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I really liked the Vic signing, but not so much the dollars. So far hes earned every check. Last year was a down year for him with an injury and a move mid-season to the opposite ens of the US. He still managed 39 SB which told me he still has his legs. Always had great defense and was a leader. I didnt expect the bat to be as good as it has. Hes an all around fundamentally sound baseball player.

Doubie has great stuff, but is still young. I think they will give him some rope and have a little patience with him. If nothing else we will have a solid LH #4/#5. I also have no issue with him in a trade if the return makes sense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I worried about his position change into a tough RF park, but he's been exceptional out there.