A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to NerdatMIT's comment:

Where were Moon and Softlaw all day and then they walk in the door together?

Are you going to post these same lies on every thread?

I was here all day long posting nearly every hour of the day.

Moon, don't waste your time and effort.  The 'Nerd-boy' is only here to irritate.

If I remember correctly, I think you once said that you didn't believe in the ignore button.  This may be possible cause for exception?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Tough games- tough day.

Miller made it a little easier to decide who goes when Morales makes it back. No question I would get rid of him by any means necessary. You cannot have a RP come in and be wild as consistently as he is.

I'm sure no one feels worse than Miller himself, but you do have a legitimate point.  A relief pitcher without control really has very limited business on the staff unless it's strictly for long relief.  Even then, like today, he inherited a bases empty situation...and failed.

If Breslow is effective when he returns, between him and Morales, I agree that his days are numbered.

It would be nice if the coaching staff could solve the problem because, basically, Miller has great stuff, velocity and he's left-handed.  I hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

Milleris fantastic vs LH batters. That should be his only role. I hate to play Monday morning QB, but I'd have let Taz go 2 innings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Stop engaging it. You will only encourage it.  

Yeah...you're right, Burrito.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oakland for 3 then Houston for 4, all at home. Good time to go 5-2.

Doubront x 2 

Aceves x 2

Lester

Buchholz

Dempster

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Then, we line up nicely with Toronto at Toronto:

Lester, Buch and Dempster

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think Webster did real well tonight even though giving up those two bombs.

In my feebile mind, there is no doubt that he will eventually, and not that far off at all, do great.  The kid throws strikes and besides great velocity, he gets his changeup and other stuff over the plate.

This has been a tremendous positive learning experience for him.

We've got a real gem here you guys.

By the way, I wonder if things would have turned out a little different today if Iggy was at SS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Tough games- tough day.

Miller made it a little easier to decide who goes when Morales makes it back. No question I would get rid of him by any means necessary. You cannot have a RP come in and be wild as consistently as he is.

I'm sure no one feels worse than Miller himself, but you do have a legitimate point.  A relief pitcher without control really has very limited business on the staff unless it's strictly for long relief.  Even then, like today, he inherited a bases empty situation...and failed.

If Breslow is effective when he returns, between him and Morales, I agree that his days are numbered.

It would be nice if the coaching staff could solve the problem because, basically, Miller has great stuff, velocity and he's left-handed.  I hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

I don't much care how Miller felt, and the coaching staff has had sufficient time to fix his control problems. If Morales and Breslow return soon Miller is odd man out. Maybe we can get some low level prospect for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Webster did real well tonight even though giving up those two bombs.

In my feebile mind, there is no doubt that he will eventually, and not that far off at all, do great.  The kid throws strikes and besides great velocity, he gets his changeup and other stuff over the plate.

This has been a tremendous positive learning experience for him.

We've got a real gem here you guys.

By the way, I wonder if things would have turned out a little different today if Iggy was at SS.

I wasn't going to say anything about the Drew-Iggy defensive comparative, but I will say, the pace of plays missed is still in my projected 60-100 over 150 games range.

Webster looked real good. A win might have helped his confidence more, but he should know, he did enough for us to get the win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Doubront x 2 

Aceves x 2

Lester

Buchholz

Dempster

I wish the Red Sox can play Houston 18 times this season.   LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Doubront x 2 

Aceves x 2

Lester

Buchholz

Dempster

I wish the Red Sox can play Houston 18 times this season.   LOL

It would be nice, but then we'd have 18 vs LAA, TEX, & OAK as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Webster looked nervous as heck but perhaps he was being extra cautious, which is good. He seemed to be able to get his curveball over for strikes. I would seriously consider using it more often. His changeup appears decent and if he can keep that fastball low he will get lots of grounders and bad contact.

Bring up Iglesias and let him pitch! JK.

Seriously though, they needed a start out of him but they also have some roster issues coming up they will need some decisions on. I think Aceves is gone, baby, gone within a month. They now feel pretty well about Webster as a 6th starter. KC is a good hitting team. They are not slouches. Webster did well.

They might think they can get by with Morales, Webster, De La Rosa, Ranaudo, Doyle as starter depth. Even Wright, Britton or Hernandez could slot in as a worst case scenario.

They can't protect all their pitchers with Lackey, Morales, Breslow coming back to the team. They probably don't want to just release Mortensen. I think the Webster audition gives them some trade flexibility.   

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Webster looked nervous as heck but perhaps he was being extra cautious, which is good. He seemed to be able to get his curveball over for strikes. I would seriously consider using it more often. His changeup appears decent and if he can keep that fastball low he will get lots of grounders and bad contact.

Bring up Iglesias and let him pitch! JK.

Seriously though, they needed a start out of him but they also have some roster issues coming up they will need some decisions on. I think Aceves is gone, baby, gone within a month. They now feel pretty well about Webster as a 6th starter. KC is a good hitting team. They are not slouches. Webster did well.

They might think they can get by with Morales, Webster, De La Rosa, Ranaudo, Doyle as starter depth. Even Wright, Britton or Hernandez could slot in as a worst case scenario.

They can't protect all their pitchers with Lackey, Morales, Breslow coming back to the team. They probably don't want to just release Mortensen. I think the Webster audition gives them some trade flexibility.   

I think they get creative with a a couple phantom DL assignments, so they can put off making the big decision until more is known.

We may not trade the worst of the group. Instead, we may trade the one that brings back the most in return: probably a prospect. My guess is it will be Aceves or Mortensen, but Miller might be it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, not sure we see Aceves times two in the next fortnight; I expect Lackey to get the ball as soon as his DL stint ends.

Boom, I did not see a nervous pitcher at all last night. He was outstanding in spring training; this effort did not surprise me at all. The Dodger deal is looking better and better. 

It was tough to drop two yesterday, but we are still 12-6, best in AL if I'm not mistaken. Uehara showed he's human. And these aren't your last 20 years' Royals. We've put this start together with very little production from Middlebrooks and Drew, two guys who are much better hitters than what they've showed. Maybe tonight's bomb ignites Middlebrooks and Drew has swung the bat well tonight too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon, not sure we see Aceves times two in the next fortnight; I expect Lackey to get the ball as soon as his DL stint ends.

Boom, I did not see a nervous pitcher at all last night. He was outstanding in spring training; this effort did not surprise me at all. The Dodger deal is looking better and better. 

It was tough to drop two yesterday, but we are still 12-6, best in AL if I'm not mistaken. Uehara showed he's human. And these aren't your last 20 years' Royals. We've put this start together with very little production from Middlebrooks and Drew, two guys who are much better hitters than what they've showed. Maybe tonight's bomb ignites Middlebrooks and Drew has swung the bat well tonight too.

True on Lackey. I'm almost liking Aceves as the 5th starter over Doubront, but I know it won't happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

True on Lackey. I'm almost liking Aceves as the 5th starter over Doubront, but I know it won't happen.

Doubront actually settled down tonight and got them into the seventh. I still can't warm up to Aceves and would rather see Webster than any of them. If Lackey can come back like he was throwing when he got hurt he's a solid fifth starter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront actually settled down tonight and got them into the seventh. I still can't warm up to Aceves and would rather see Webster than any of them. If Lackey can come back like he was throwing when he got hurt he's a solid fifth starter.

I know, and it goes against everything I have thought and said about Aceves, namely that his best role is as a mid/long man and not a starter or closer, but I like the way he looked the last 2 starts, and if we yank him after 4-5 IP, maybe his numbers would have been even better.

Doubront deserves a longer look, so I am not set on the idea... yet.

Doubront's WHIP is not getting better. It was my big concern this winter, and it doesn't look any better now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Doubront is still young and he does have solid stuff. I would continue to throw him out there. He's also cheap.

And controllable for several more years. We are building value in him.

Gotta roll with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

BOSTON -- Right-hander John Lackey had a strong opening to his Minor League rehab assignment on Monday night, firing 3 2/3 shutout innings at Double-A Portland.

Lackey gave up three hits while walking two and striking out five. He threw 67 pitches, 45 for strikes.

This was the first game action for Lackey since April 6, when he strained his right bicep in a game against the Blue Jays.

He will need at least one more Minor League start before he is ready to rejoin the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we have Webster and guys like Aceves, Mortensen, Tazawa and Wright, who could step in and start or become a starter this season if need be.

I'm not totally sold on anyone below Lester & Buch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Doubront hasn't had an era below 4.5 and averages almost 4 walks/9in. 

I'm no expert, but I'd rather give a guy like Webster a shot....soon.  At the least we know he throws strikes.

When Lackey comes back and the way Webster threw, it wouldn't surprise me that Doubront is the odd man out.  Besides, Aceves is more flexible...start, or relief.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront hasn't had an era below 4.5 and averages almost 4 walks/9in. 

I'm no expert, but I'd rather give a guy like Webster a shot....soon.  At the least we know he throws strikes.

When Lackey comes back and the way Webster threw, it wouldn't surprise me that Doubront is the odd man out.  Besides, Aceves is more flexible...start, or relief.

I realize Doubie has nasty stuff and could turn into a very good starter, but many of my past winter trade suggestions included Doubront. I have gone into detail about the reasons several times, but in short it was mostly based on his high BB/9 rate or WHIP plus the coming to camp out of shape issue(s). I did not want to give him away, but I really like Tazawa and Webster, and maybe someday down the road DLR, Barnes, Henry or another a lot. Having Aceves, Mortensen and Wright minimizes the risk somewhat of trading away pitching depth, but my plan included adding depth back via free agency (McCarthy, Maholm, or Marcum) or trading up (B Anderson).

I guess we could still deal Doubront, perhaps even when we get to the roster crunch time as our DL'd pitchers start returning. My guess is he could bring a nice return, perhaps as part of a 2 or 3 for 1 player deal.

Sections
Shortcuts