A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

So they call up Lavarnway for Aceves. Lavarnway? I get that he is doing well in AAA. What this tells me though is that Ortiz may be back on the DL soon. Ortiz is hitting but maybe they want to rest him for a day or so until Lackey comes up. And give Lavarnway a chance to contribute. Keep him motivated and involved. It's probably only for a couple days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

So they call up Lavarnway for Aceves. Lavarnway? I get that he is doing well in AAA. What this tells me though is that Ortiz may be back on the DL soon. Ortiz is hitting but maybe they want to rest him for a day or so until Lackey comes up. And give Lavarnway a chance to contribute. Keep him motivated and involved. It's probably only for a couple days.

I know people are down on Gomes for the low BA, but his OBP is still at .381. 

The only advanatge of this move is that we can PH for either catcher and not worry about a catcher injury... pretty remote.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Lavarnway has a great arm and he's hitting over .300.  Maybe Ross's days are numbered?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

I would love to see Lavarnway come up and relace Salty. I am always in favor of everything that makes our Red Sox better. Forgive me for my Homerism.

Hard to tell if your first ever actual baseball post was satire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Victorino is hurt some. But Lavarnway can't help with that. To me it is a DH play, to give Ortiz a day off and maybe play Gomes in LF against LH pitching, Nava in RF. All this for 1-2 days of PT probably. 

But I think that is a good idea at least. Hopefully LAvarnway gets his groove back and takes it home from here.

Maybe it is part of a catcher trade also. Heh, it's possible. A 10% chance. Teams ask for talent all the time and maybe we feel good about our talent level at catcher. Even Vasquez has been solid recently, a real mover. And I still think Swihart is a very special talent long term.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If you've been following the minors much, there are some pretty exciting things going on down in Portland and Salem. Cechinni and Coyle are absolutely on fire, with Cechinni having a great day today against one of the top prospects in that league. He absolutely looks to be taking it to another level this year. And Coyle is restoring his status as a potential top guy. Gotta love what is happening down there.

We keep hearing about our glut at 3rd base. It may well be that as Cechinni's pop continues to increase he might end up someday as our RF.

And Bogaerts has been putting up solid numbers for 2 weeks now, getting his OPS over .800 now with a .300 average. We can't expect all these guys to consistently put up solid numbers every year but that kid seems to be doing it even as possibly the youngest player in the Eastern League. That is a lot to expect of a young kid like that. And he's a freaking SS no less.

I don't care if 90% of our minor league guys absolutely stink. I'll take a few premium studs from each team every day of the week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

You big stud-muffin, Boomer...  Laughing

Seriously, thanks for the info....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Victorino is hurt some. But Lavarnway can't help with that. To me it is a DH play, to give Ortiz a day off and maybe play Gomes in LF against LH pitching, Nava in RF. All this for 1-2 days of PT probably. 

But I think that is a good idea at least. Hopefully LAvarnway gets his groove back and takes it home from here.

Maybe it is part of a catcher trade also. Heh, it's possible. A 10% chance. Teams ask for talent all the time and maybe we feel good about our talent level at catcher. Even Vasquez has been solid recently, a real mover. And I still think Swihart is a very special talent long term.

Yes, maybe the Victorino injury is worse than we think, and Gomes and nava will fill the OF void.

I really don't expect Papi to miss many games from now on, but Dr. softy thinks otherwise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston's next four games are against Houston.  I expect Boston to sweep the four-game series.  

Speaking of Houston, I was hoping that the Red Sox would face Houston (e.g. Clemens and Pettite) in the 2004 World Series.   Too bad that did not happen.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just a place holder until Lackey gets back because there are no other guys on the 40-man that make any sense besides Hassan and Holt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

I would love to see Lavarnway come up and relace Salty. I am always in favor of everything that makes our Red Sox better. Forgive me for my Homerism.

sarcastic much? doesnt sound like it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I understand that Joe Maddon is one of the best managers.  But I do not understand why he would bring in a magician to help his clubhouse more relaxed.  

I think taking his team to Hooters for beer and wings would be a much better idea.   LOL

Magician: "Who wants to see me pull out a rabbit from my hat?!?"

Rays: "What the %$#@ we just got swept by the Red Sox!!!"

LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon et al, I am very excited about a field trip to Portland from Harrison--45 minutes away in the summer!  Since I'll be in Maine about June 10, I'm wondering if we should pick a specific date and I'll get the tickets so we know we can sit together?  If people can't show, then we can bring friends, relatives, etc.???  I like to sit right near the back stop.  Several summers ago I looked up to see Theo sitting about three seats away; he mostly talked on his phone and would occasionally get up to talk to a young man standing nearby--I think that might have been BC. 

Jid, I would love to meet you and thank you in person for your ST reports.  Moon would be relieved to have a baseball man sit beside him rather than a social chatterbox as I probably distracted him from the game last time.  If you want to stay in Harrison the night of the game you (and wife) are welcome to stay at my summer "retreat."  It's not luxurious; I live on the 2nd floor of an old Victorian but all basic amenities are there.

I too watched Papi run the other night and it wasn't pretty.  He doesn't look as sveldt as last summer but obviously he hasn't been able to work out much.  I hope he'll be fine, but age isn't on his side at this point.

Boom, I expect you to take a few days of during this Portland field trip and come to Maine, check on your property (I'd like to see it if you want a side kick...), and attend the Sea Dogs.  No excuses.

I don't see Lava as replacing Ross--we wanted a defensive catcher with experience and I'm not sure Lava is that but maybe there is a trade brewing.  I'm always for trades if they help improve the club, even in the future.  But I think Ross could be important for RS before this year is over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crit, My guess is a weekend game would be best for maximum attendance. I'm pretty open to any day (as far as I know) from July 17 to 29. If we end up with extra tickets, I can probably find friends or relative to buy them from you at face value.

Here are the home games in my window. Others, please speak up on what days works best for you and let's try and set a date soon.

Th 7/18 Reading 7 pm

Fr 7/19 Reading 7 pm

Sa 7/20 Reading 6 pm

Su 7/21 Reading 1 pm

Th 7/25 Har. 7 pm

Fr 7/26 Har. 6 pm

Sa 7/27 Har TBD

Su 7/28 Har 1 pm

I'm thinking the 2 Saturday games might be best, but Sunday or Friday might work as well.

Speak up guys...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Boston's next four games are against Houston.  I expect Boston to sweep the four-game series.  

I think we should be satisfied with winning 3 of 4.  And thrilled with a sweep.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Crit, My guess is a weekend game would be best for maximum attendance. I'm pretty open to any day (as far as I know) from July 17 to 29. If we end up with extra tickets, I can probably find friends or relative to buy them from you at face value.

Here are the home games in my window. Others, please speak up on what days works best for you and let's try and set a date soon.

Th 7/18 Reading 7 pm

Fr 7/19 Reading 7 pm

Sa 7/20 Reading 6 pm

Su 7/21 Reading 1 pm

Th 7/25 Har. 7 pm

Fr 7/26 Har. 6 pm

Sa 7/27 Har TBD

Su 7/28 Har 1 pm

I'm thinking the 2 Saturday games might be best, but Sunday or Friday might work as well.

Speak up guys...

Ill let you know in another week or so Moon. I have a possible gig that might take me away for a couple weeks at a time. Im sure I can make at least one though....Would love to meet you guys in person and talk baseball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thursday: RHP Philip Humber (0-4, 6.63) vs. RHP Clay Buchholz (4-0, 0.90), 6:35 p.m., NESN

WIN 8-2

Friday: LHP Erik Bedard (0-1, 6.17) vs. RHP Ryan Dempster (0-2, 3.38), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-4

Saturday: RHP Brad Peacock (1-2, 7.50) vs. LHP Felix Doubront (2-0, 4.32), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-6

Sunday: RHP Bud Norris (3-2, 4.13) vs. TBA (Webster?), 1:35 p.m., NESN

WIN?  ???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I predict a 80% chance of Buchholz pitching a no-hitter (or even a perfect game) tonight vs. the Astros.   LOL

Cain pitched a perfect game vs. the Astros last year and Darvish was an out away from a perfect game this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I predicted 8-2 tonight.

Surprised

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I predicted 8-2 tonight.

Surprised

I just noticed...great job!!  Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Thursday: RHP Philip Humber (0-4, 6.63) vs. RHP Clay Buchholz (4-0, 0.90), 6:35 p.m., NESN

WIN 8-2

Friday: LHP Erik Bedard (0-1, 6.17) vs. RHP Ryan Dempster (0-2, 3.38), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-4

Saturday: RHP Brad Peacock (1-2, 7.50) vs. LHP Felix Doubront (2-0, 4.32), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-6

Sunday: RHP Bud Norris (3-2, 4.13) vs. TBA (Webster?), 1:35 p.m., NESN

WIN?  ???

I like your optimism moon and agree, we need to take every team we play seriously this season.  If we do that, get good pitching and stay healthy?  At the very least it spells "post season" in my book. 

The one game I am very interested in is the Bedard/Dempster matchup!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

Ortiz will be fine and probably end his career as the greatest DH in baseball history.  Edgar Martinez was a good one but Papi may be better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Ortiz will be fine and probably end his career as the greatest DH in baseball history.  Edgar Martinez was a good one but Papi may be better.

But, Papi's legendary post season heroics puts him in the HOF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

But, Papi's legendary post season heroics puts him in the HOF.

I hope so, you never know how people are going to judge the DH position.

Sections
Shortcuts