A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Yeah, I thought Edgar deserved it, but with Papi's heroics in October, I can't see how he can be denied.

But, then I see jeter winning Gold Gloves, Pedro getting shunned for an obvious MVP, and so much more bunk that nothing surprises me anymore on awards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I predicted 8-2 tonight.

Surprised

nailed that one Moon! Good job!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Moon et al, I am very excited about a field trip to Portland from Harrison--45 minutes away in the summer!  Since I'll be in Maine about June 10, I'm wondering if we should pick a specific date and I'll get the tickets so we know we can sit together?  If people can't show, then we can bring friends, relatives, etc.???  I like to sit right near the back stop.  Several summers ago I looked up to see Theo sitting about three seats away; he mostly talked on his phone and would occasionally get up to talk to a young man standing nearby--I think that might have been BC. 

Jid, I would love to meet you and thank you in person for your ST reports.  Moon would be relieved to have a baseball man sit beside him rather than a social chatterbox as I probably distracted him from the game last time.  If you want to stay in Harrison the night of the game you (and wife) are welcome to stay at my summer "retreat."  It's not luxurious; I live on the 2nd floor of an old Victorian but all basic amenities are there.

I too watched Papi run the other night and it wasn't pretty.  He doesn't look as sveldt as last summer but obviously he hasn't been able to work out much.  I hope he'll be fine, but age isn't on his side at this point.

Boom, I expect you to take a few days of during this Portland field trip and come to Maine, check on your property (I'd like to see it if you want a side kick...), and attend the Sea Dogs.  No excuses.

I don't see Lava as replacing Ross--we wanted a defensive catcher with experience and I'm not sure Lava is that but maybe there is a trade brewing.  I'm always for trades if they help improve the club, even in the future.  But I think Ross could be important for RS before this year is over.

Crit, I'm here in Portland now. Digging the opportunity to see Barnes pitch until I realize it's an away game! I can't even see a Lowell game since they haven't started yet and I'm not driving to Rhode Island! Maybe in a few weeks when I'll be back in town again.

I would love to see some games. Had my camera ready and everything but didn't look at the scedule. I'm here on business mainly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My parents still live in Portland- all 6 kids have moved away, one to Brazil, one to China and then New Zealand, and I was the last to leave (to Mexico and then Texas).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

My parents still live in Portland- all 6 kids have moved away, one to Brazil, one to China and then New Zealand, and I was the last to leave (to Mexico and then Texas).

Something tells me your family didn't dig Maine Moon!

Just kidding. I know you love it!

You have a highly educated and successful Family Moon! Good for you and everyone involved!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Something tells me your family didn't dig Maine Moon!

Just kidding. I know you love it!

You have a highly educated and successful Family Moon! Good for you and everyone involved!

All 5 of my sisters were art majors. Three went on to get their masters and are professors of art at various universities across America. Needless to say, there's not much of an art world in Maine. One sister married a guy from China and moved to Hong Kong over 20 years ago. She's now in New Zealand. The other sister was in the Peace Corps in Quito, and while vacationing in Salavador, Brazil met her husband to be. She's lived there for about 25 years. I stayed in Maine until I was 45. I met a wonderful woman from Mexico, and since I was semi-rtired, I moved down there for 4+ years. We moved to Sugar Land, Texas over 5 years ago, but we go to Maine every summer, and we spend most Christmas Holidays in Mexico. The best of both worlds.

My dad and Mom have a sweet house on Sebago Lake as well as a home in Portland. Although I was born in baton Rouge and lived in Indiana, upstate NY, and Milwaukee before moving to Maine in 1970, I'll always consder myself a Maniac.

Texas is nice for 3 seasons, but Summer is too hot.... and humid. Maine is nice for 1 season. I love maine, but often wonder what took me so long to find nicer climes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nice family, Moon....very nice.

Now, you only need to visit southern Oregon.  It's like the east coast without weather extremes and the mosquitoes.

My older brother is a retired English professor.  That being said, you can just imagine how hard we have to try and avoid political conversations.   Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Moon, can you give us a clue what you did for a living which enabled you to retire early. We just want to copy it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, you only need to visit southern Oregon.  It's like the east coast without weather extremes and the mosquitoes.

My older brother is a retired English professor.  That being said, you can just imagine how hard we have to try and avoid political conversations.   Laughing

My dad was an English professor (mostly Southern American Lit).

I'd love to see Oregon and have been trying to talk my wife and daughter into a long road trip out west.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My older brother is a retired English professor.  That being said, you can just imagine how hard we have to try and avoid political conversations.   Laughing

I'd love to see Oregon and have been trying to talk my wife and daughter into a long road trip out west.

Well, when you do, you'll be welcome.

You almost called the correct score again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, can you give us a clue what you did for a living which enabled you to retire early. We just want to copy it!

I worked in a warehouse for about 11 years, then a home infusion therapy company for a while. I didn't make a ton of money, but I am a save-a-holic, coupon cutting, deal seeking expert. I paid off my house in 9 years, and  sold my house after my divorce. I bought a foreclosure home and flipped it after 3 years for more than double my cost. With the cash I started investing as a day trader and developed a system that raerly failed (though I did lose over $10K in 1 minute once). Eventually, the system slowed in profits and I got out of the market just in time. Along the way, I flipped a few other homes, busted my butt at my job and made tons of performance bonuses that shocked the companies I worked for and changed the ways they did business based on my ideas and innovations. I often turned down promotion offers, because I never wanted to wear  a suit and tie and be part of "them". I enjoyed physical hard work that involved mental stamina and finding ways to work smarter not harder. At my first job (the 11 year one), they paid you for the amount of timed jobs you did (each job had a time assigned to it), and I rarely had a day where I did uner 170%. I worked 4 - 10 hour days a week and usually got paid for 70-80 hours of work. I injured my back one day, and kept re-injuring it from time to time, and had to quit before I racked myself up. I went on to manage the backroom of a home infusion therapy/pharmacy company. I scheduled the drug deliveries, nurse appointmnets, supply warehouse, and pump rentals and maintenance. I found ways to save the company tens of thousands of dollars, and they copied my methods at their other sites, but I didn't make a ton of money there. I was day-trading at the same time, and flipping homes as well, so i had 3 incomes, and rarely spent money on anything but an occaisonal long trip. By the time I was 45, I figured I was set for life, and since I was single with no kids, I basically retired, except for a little stock trading and real estate deals. Then, I met my wife to be on a trip to Mexico and moved down there about 9 years ago. I ran a kiosk in a mall as I continued day trading, but once I got married, I had to take my finances more seriously. I opened several more kiosks, and started an English tutorial service in Mexico City. We moved away almost 6 years ago, but I still make some money off the businesses there that are now being run by my wife's relatives... not much, but enough to pay our expenses for the year. My wife is a teacher here in Sugar Land, and I volunteer at her title 1 school teaching ESL and math. It's really an eye-opening experience, and I love what I do everyday.  It's amazing how great most of these kids are coming from some horrific environments. Sure, there are some tough cookies, and just downright nasty individuals, but by an large, the vast majority are good at heart and just need a little hope and guidance. It's heart-breaking at times, but rewarding in so many ways.

Anyways, that's the "short answer" to your question. 

Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Well, when you do, you'll be welcome.

You almost called the correct score again!

I just got home and saw the score. I'm watching the game now. Nice to Ross start to contribute offensively.

Papi sticking it to softy & Bill.

Ellsbury's OBP on the rise.

Maybe Will-Da-Beast snapping out of it.

Dempster racking up the K's, and the pen being "The" Pen!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Way too early but right now all the things that have to happen for the team to win are happening. We have a solid 1-2 starters, a healthy Napoli, Elles, and Ortiz......  April could easlily be replicated month after month if it all continues to hold together.

At least is could be an exciting season afterall

I never doubted it would be an exciting year, but I am surprised how well we are doing. I had the odds at about 50-50 that Lester AND Buch would do great and be healthy all year, and the 3-5 starters as our biggest weakness. I have been humbled thus far, and loving every minute of it!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I did lots of trading and was doing real well....you've heard the saying 'pigs get slaughtered'?  Well, that was me, but is was a nice ride for awhile....made and lost a bundle on XM radio, Krispy Creme, and TASER...

I don't know what to call you 'Bollinger Band man'. or 'Mr. TPN'...  Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I broke a lot of "the rules" of investment. I played a few hunches and made a killing off one stock: a small company that was developing a drug derived from Marihuana that was supposed to allieviate pressure in the brain of head trauma patients. The inital tests looked encouraging and the stock went through the roof. I sold almost all of the stock before the final test results came out, and when they did come out, I lost $10K in 1 minute as I held on to a "nominal" amount of stock in case it was a positive result.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A fascinating life Moon! I never guessed you were a member of the proletariat for so long. I'm happy it has all worked out for you. You deserve it after all that work and I'm very glad you take time to volunteer as well. Thanks for sharing your personal voyage. It gives many of us hope by the way, that a working person can still accomplish the America dream through effort and ability. You are a very interesting person....and a great Redsox fan!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks.

Now, back to baseball. It's amazing that we are winning nearly 70% of our games and are now tied for the best MLB record after 23 games (1/7th of a season).

Nice to see 17 hits last night, although no BBs was interesting.

Dempster now has 43Ks in just 30 IP.

Ellsbury and Naps have theeir OBPs up to .333.

With the Ross input last night, our catcher tandem now has the 9th best catcher OPS in MLB at .783. True, we are still 20th in catcher OBP at .295, but I am certain that number will rise over .300 by season's end.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thursday: RHP Philip Humber (0-4, 6.63) vs. RHP Clay Buchholz (4-0, 0.90), 6:35 p.m., NESN

WIN 8-2

Friday: LHP Erik Bedard (0-1, 6.17) vs. RHP Ryan Dempster (0-2, 3.38), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-4

Saturday: RHP Brad Peacock (1-2, 7.50) vs. LHP Felix Doubront (2-0, 4.32), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-6

Sunday: RHP Bud Norris (3-2, 4.13) vs. TBA (Webster?), 1:35 p.m., NESN

WIN?  ???

Well, my 7-6 pick was not as close as the others, but a win is a win.

I guess Lackey is going in game 4. Here's my call:

Sox 6

Stros 4

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Moon, the score doesn't matter.  What does matter is you're picking the winner...kepp it up..don't stop..  

I had my doubts about Doubront getting through the 1st....and what about Miller?  Wouldn't it be nice to see him go extra innings comfortably?

There are so many kudos to around where does one start??   Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Things really are coming together nicely, amp.

Lackey's return could be a huge boost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will be on the road soon....

Road OPs thus far (20+ PAs):

Midd   .944

Nava   .931

Ells     .892

Vict   .841

Nap  .791

Pedey .781

Gomes .767

Salty    .596

JBJ      .524

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Today's Sox stats: we are THIRD in ERA in the AL; we are now FIRST in OPS in the AL. Thats a good combination. Lets hope Lackey can come back strong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Sadly 90% of the games in Cambodia are Yankee games or Orioles games. I have only watched 4 Red Sox games this year. 

You cant watch games on MLB.com Burr?