A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Way too early but right now all the things that have to happen for the team to win are happening. We have a solid 1-2 starters, a healthy Napoli, Elles, and Ortiz......  April could easlily be replicated month after month if it all continues to hold together.

At least is could be an exciting season afterall

I never doubted it would be an exciting year, but I am surprised how well we are doing. I had the odds at about 50-50 that Lester AND Buch would do great and be healthy all year, and the 3-5 starters as our biggest weakness. I have been humbled thus far, and loving every minute of it!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I did lots of trading and was doing real well....you've heard the saying 'pigs get slaughtered'?  Well, that was me, but is was a nice ride for awhile....made and lost a bundle on XM radio, Krispy Creme, and TASER...

I don't know what to call you 'Bollinger Band man'. or 'Mr. TPN'...  Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I broke a lot of "the rules" of investment. I played a few hunches and made a killing off one stock: a small company that was developing a drug derived from Marihuana that was supposed to allieviate pressure in the brain of head trauma patients. The inital tests looked encouraging and the stock went through the roof. I sold almost all of the stock before the final test results came out, and when they did come out, I lost $10K in 1 minute as I held on to a "nominal" amount of stock in case it was a positive result.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A fascinating life Moon! I never guessed you were a member of the proletariat for so long. I'm happy it has all worked out for you. You deserve it after all that work and I'm very glad you take time to volunteer as well. Thanks for sharing your personal voyage. It gives many of us hope by the way, that a working person can still accomplish the America dream through effort and ability. You are a very interesting person....and a great Redsox fan!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks.

Now, back to baseball. It's amazing that we are winning nearly 70% of our games and are now tied for the best MLB record after 23 games (1/7th of a season).

Nice to see 17 hits last night, although no BBs was interesting.

Dempster now has 43Ks in just 30 IP.

Ellsbury and Naps have theeir OBPs up to .333.

With the Ross input last night, our catcher tandem now has the 9th best catcher OPS in MLB at .783. True, we are still 20th in catcher OBP at .295, but I am certain that number will rise over .300 by season's end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Thursday: RHP Philip Humber (0-4, 6.63) vs. RHP Clay Buchholz (4-0, 0.90), 6:35 p.m., NESN

WIN 8-2

Friday: LHP Erik Bedard (0-1, 6.17) vs. RHP Ryan Dempster (0-2, 3.38), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-4

Saturday: RHP Brad Peacock (1-2, 7.50) vs. LHP Felix Doubront (2-0, 4.32), 7:10 p.m., NESN

WIN 7-6

Sunday: RHP Bud Norris (3-2, 4.13) vs. TBA (Webster?), 1:35 p.m., NESN

WIN?  ???

Well, my 7-6 pick was not as close as the others, but a win is a win.

I guess Lackey is going in game 4. Here's my call:

Sox 6

Stros 4

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Moon, the score doesn't matter.  What does matter is you're picking the winner...kepp it up..don't stop..  

I had my doubts about Doubront getting through the 1st....and what about Miller?  Wouldn't it be nice to see him go extra innings comfortably?

There are so many kudos to around where does one start??   Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Things really are coming together nicely, amp.

Lackey's return could be a huge boost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will be on the road soon....

Road OPs thus far (20+ PAs):

Midd   .944

Nava   .931

Ells     .892

Vict   .841

Nap  .791

Pedey .781

Gomes .767

Salty    .596

JBJ      .524

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Today's Sox stats: we are THIRD in ERA in the AL; we are now FIRST in OPS in the AL. Thats a good combination. Lets hope Lackey can come back strong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Sadly 90% of the games in Cambodia are Yankee games or Orioles games. I have only watched 4 Red Sox games this year. 

You cant watch games on MLB.com Burr?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Moon, the score doesn't matter.  What does matter is you're picking the winner...kepp it up..don't stop..  

I had my doubts about Doubront getting through the 1st....and what about Miller?  Wouldn't it be nice to see him go extra innings comfortably?

There are so many kudos to around where does one start??   Smile

Hey amp,
    I was worried about Doubie last night too. I was listening on the radio on my way to my show. I got there before he started the 2nd inning. What a surprise to find out he went 6.2IP, gave up no more walks and only one more run before departing. That, to me, is a very good sign. After looking like he wouldnt make it through 2-3 innings, he pulled it together to go almost 7IP.  Im watching the game right now on DVR.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm really close to giving up on Doubront.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

gotta admit he recoverd nicely last nicght to give them almost 7IP. When a pitcher starts off that bad with 30+ pitches in the 1st inning, only to recover and give the team almost 7IP and basically shut the other team down, thats a good sign.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

c'mon moon. i thought it ended up being a great start. getting off to such a bad 1st inning and then completely turning it around and going 6.2 is pretty impressive IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

gotta admit he recoverd nicely last nicght to give them almost 7IP. When a pitcher starts off that bad with 30+ pitches in the 1st inning, only to recover and give the team almost 7IP and basically shut the other team down, thats a good sign.

Sorry, I don't see it that way. I see Doubront walking people every game. Yeah, he K's a bunch of guys and looks good for stretches, but his consistency has not improved one bit, and his WHIP seems destined to be over 1.450 forever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Doubront has been a decent #4 pitcher so far with 3 wins and a 4.20 ERA isn't that bad. Hopefully he will keep improving as he is still young and cheap. We have to factor in the cost in these equations and he cost next to nothing for a starting pitcher. What if he does continue to develop? He will be a valuable contributor to the tream for years to come or a solid trade piece. At minimum probably good starter depth with options. His stuff, age, experience all indicate he will improve.

It was all doom and gloom about the team all winter but there was always a good chance these guys would perform. And I think this team still makes the playoffs. I can't remember if I projected 91 or 93 wins but I'm sticking with it. If anything, we are ahead of projections. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I did not anticipate this team being this good against RH pitching. Carp, Nava and Ortiz are all ahead of my estimates. That is huge for this team. We should be demolishing LH pitching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront has been a decent #4 pitcher so far with 3 wins and a 4.20 ERA isn't that bad. Hopefully he will keep improving as he is still young and cheap. We have to factor in the cost in these equations and he cost next to nothing for a starting pitcher. What if he does continue to develop? He will be a valuable contributor to the tream for years to come or a solid trade piece. At minimum probably good starter depth with options. His stuff, age, experience all indicate he will improve.

I see no indication of improvement. Yes, he has the talent, but he looks no better now than he was 2 years ago. His BB/9 has gone up from 4.0 to 5.0 from 2012 to 2013. It's early, but as The Smith's once sang, "How Soon Is Now?"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I wouldn't fix what aint broken. Milk Doubront for what he has and if he starts degrading give him some rest and bring up Webster or De La Rosa. Hopefully, Morales can help us within the next month. By year end it looks like Ranaudo might be available as a long relief guy. I think we are positioned extremely well.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't foresee them messing with Doubront, but that does not change my view on him. There certainly are worse 5 slot starters out there.

I think Lackey has won the 4 slot after just 2 starts this year. He may be in the 3 slot by summer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Moon, What's your perception of Doubront:

All over the place, just plain wild with bad mechanics? 

A Dice-K like nibbler who doesn't trust his stuff, and won't challenge hitters?

I see him just missing on lots of pitches. There is also the distraction of not getting calls on the black. So what does he do? "Give in" to the hitter and not try and be so precise? I think he has  to go after people more. He's got something of a rep for petulance which no doubt doesn't sit well with unpires. He could also study film of Greg Maddux. Not the mechanics, but the facial expressions, the body language. Either that or he could ask for a trade to the Rays. THat alone would expand his strike zone by a couple of inches. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Like our friend Jid has basically said to me 'he's left-handed' what do you expect?..LOL

Actually, there might be something to that.  It seems that most lefties(me included) have or had trouble with control.  If I'm not mistaken, Koufax and Whitey Ford had control issues early in their careers.  Look at Andrew Miller...great stuff...look at today's right fielder Ankiel...great stuff also, but just lost it.

It irritates me when Doubront walks people, but I can understand.  And, he does have great potential like many posters here have said...and, he's cheap.  So, although it bothers me, I think we could give him a longer leash.

Southpaw, I should have asked, did you have control issues?

Sections
Shortcuts