A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Critter23's comment:

Jid, if having an old guy help you get the scoop, I'll volunteer and comandeer a wheelchair.  Hope to meet you this summer.

Moon, Trumbo has been doing well for the Angels.  He was a guy I hoped we might try to get this winter, I thought the Angels' salaries might make him expendable, but I guess not--I don't know what his status was.  Not trying to live the offseason over, just saying he's doing pretty well. 

The Angels might get fed up this summer and do something drastic, but I'm not sure we are a fit for what they will want.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your first and third statements are obvious to anyone that knows baseball..  The second is pretty far out and totally correct and insightful  . I like it.

I was scolded for daring to think of signing Anibal, since we had zero percent chance of every getting him. I know it would have been hard to get him here, but everyone has a price, except maybe Cliff Lee. (LOL)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I was scolded for daring to think of signing Anibal, since we had zero percent chance of every getting him. I know it would have been hard to get him here, but everyone has a price, except maybe Cliff Lee. (LOL)

I wasn't opposed to the idea of signing A. Sanchez at all.  I thought he was definitely the premier starter available.  I'm sure the Red Sox were interested in him, but the years and the price scared them off.  But if they really wanted to sign him they had a shot at him, I'm sure.  It would have cost them even more than what he got, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I wasn't opposed to the idea of signing A. Sanchez at all.  I thought he was definitely the premier starter available.  I'm sure the Red Sox were interested in him, but the years and the price scared them off.  But if they really wanted to sign him they had a shot at him, I'm sure.  It would have cost them even more than what he got, though.

He just turned 29, and the "injury history" was blown out of proportion.

He had just completed 3 straight years with 31 or more starts and 195+ IP.

I think if you add up the guys I would have said "no" to, so we could get A. S., we may have gotten him:

Shane  $39M

Demp  $26.5M or Papi $26M

Drew  $9.5M

That's about $5M more than Detroit signed him for ($80M/5).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I think if you add up the guys I would have said "no" to, so we could get A. S., we may have gotten him:

Shane  $39M

Drew  $9.5M

Sanchez made it pretty clear he wanted to remain in Detroit and they obviously wanted him back, so it likely would have taken 100+ million to get him here, and the Sox made it pretty clear that they weren't going to give out anymore 100+ million dollar contracts to free agents, especially when you consider they knew they were likely going to have to pay Lester and Buchholz.  Overpaying for guys who would rather be somewhere else is a recipe for disaster.  I'm not saying it would have been "impossible" to sign him, but my guess is that once the numbers started reaching 60+ million, they were no longer interested at all.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Shane  $39M

Drew  $9.5M

Sanchez made it pretty clear he wanted to remain in Detroit and they obviously wanted him back, so it likely would have taken 100+ million to get him here, and the Sox made it pretty clear that they weren't going to give out anymore 100+ million dollar contracts to free agents, especially when you consider they knew they were likely going to have to pay Lester and Buchholz.  Overpaying for guys who would rather be somewhere else is a recipe for disaster.  I'm not saying it would have been "impossible" to sign him, but my guess is that once the numbers started reaching 60+ million, they were no longer interested at all.  

You really think it would have taken $20M more to get him here? $100M/5 vs $80M/5?

Maybe $100M/7 vs $80M/5... maybe, but I think $85M/5 or $95M/6 would have been close to enough if not more than what might have been needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Shane  $39M

Drew  $9.5M

You really think it would have taken $20M more to get him here? $100M/5 vs $80M/5?

Maybe $100M/7 vs $80M/5... maybe, but I think $85M/5 or $95M/6 would have been close to enough if not more than what might have been needed.

Agree to disagree...Do you really think the Tigers wouldn't have gone to at LEAST 90 million? The Ilitch family pretty much prints their own money and the old man is 83...He wants to win now...Besides, again, the Sox weren't going to approach 100 million for a pitcher this off season with Lester and Buchholz extensions looming.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shane  $39M

Drew  $9.5M

Agree to disagree...Do you really think the Tigers wouldn't have gone to at LEAST 90 million? The Ilitch family pretty much prints their own money and the old man is 83...He wants to win now...Besides, again, the Sox weren't going to approach 100 million for a pitcher this off season with Lester and Buchholz extensions looming.  

Agree to disagree. Sanchez must have a pretty bad agaent, if he settled for over $10M less that what Detroit would have paid.

I'm not saying the Sox would have ever paid a $100M contract- obviously not for Anibal, that's for sure, but that shouldn't stop a person from having the position that he would have at least tried to sign him- even if just to force a top competitor to pay $10M more and maybe keep them from upgrading elsewhere someday.

I have never tried to claim Ben wanted Sanchez or might have paid $100M for any pitcher, but that doesn't mean all discussion about what ifs must end at 3 year deals and less than $40M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Shane  $39M

Drew  $9.5M

Agree to disagree. Sanchez must have a pretty bad agaent, if he settled for over $10M less that what Detroit would have paid.

Moon, do you really think that's how negotiations work?!  The Tigers weren't buying a car. These players are human.  Ben Cherington isn't going to tell Sanchez' agent that he will give him 90 million just so the Tigers will have to pay more.  It's not how it works at all.  The Cubs offered more, but Sanchez was willing to take less to stay where he was happy.  5 or 10 million means nothing when you are approaching 100 million dollars.  Jason Werth agreed to take 5/90 from Boston until Washington blew that deal out of the water at the last minute.  He had no choice but to take that contract.  The Sox would have had to offer AT LEAST 100 million to have a chance at Sanchez and my guess is they weren't interested AT ALL after 3/48.

I'm not saying the Sox weren't going over 3 years with ANY free agent this offseason, although there are many people who know more than we do who will swear by it, but again, once Sanchez starting getting too expensive, they had no more interest, and they weren't going to drive up the price just to make the Tigers pay more.  The Yankees and Sox played off each other to drive up the price on certain players over the years, but they were both willing to pay the numbers they threw out there.  If they landed the player, they were happy, if not, they made their rival pay a lot more.  This isn't poker where you "bluff" an offer you have no interest in paying just to drive up the price. 

I'm not saying the Sox would have ever paid a $100M contract- obviously not for Anibal, that's for sure, but that shouldn't stop a person from having the position that he would have at least tried to sign him- even if just to force a top competitor to pay $10M more and maybe keep them from upgrading elsewhere someday.

I have never tried to claim Ben wanted Sanchez or might have paid $100M for any pitcher, but that doesn't mean all discussion about what ifs must end at 3 year deals and less than $40M.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It just looks like we didn't even try to land Sanchez, or Kuroda ( who was equally as good and available under a shorter term contract deal ). Why? Probably because we didn't want to lose a top pick and I certainly understand that.

Take Kuroda away from the Yanks though and their chances of winning this year would have nose dived. It was ertainly tempting to make a run at these guys. Maybe Sanchez didn't have a good taste in his mouth after being traded away from the Sox the first time, and I know Kuroda was reported as wanting to stay with the Yanks. We could have made it interesting though. A strong case could have been made that Kuroda was actually worth $20 mil per in a 2 year deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

As for the great April, I knew they would be better than last year. I also predicted that they would win more than they lost. I did not expect them to be this good. They pitched very well in Spring Training, most of the losses and bad numbers were attributed to guys who never made the trip north with the big league club. It's the offense and defense that is performing much better than in Spring Training. Nava, Victorino and Napoli have all produced above and beyond what I though they would produce. But the wins are coming with no homers from Pedroia and only one from Ellsbury, little or nothing from Drew, Middlebrooks, and Gomes, and with Ortiz only in the lineup for nine games! So while the early season over-achievers are not likely to maintain their paces, the under-achievers should be ready to balance the lineup as the season progresses. I like it a lot!!

This has been great, but a 72% win rate will be hard to continue. We need to milk this hopt streak as long as possible. We know there will be tough stretches ahead, but let's hope they will be short and not too often.

Moon your absolutely correct this team will not win 72% of its games. It will go trough a slump or 2 and that will tell us how good this team will be when the times get tough how do they respond. I still believe they are a 90 win team at best, which may or may not be good enough for playoffs. Most of Ben's moves have turned to the plus side, besides Hanrahans inconsistencies [injured hamstring- not convinced] and Drew [concussion- thought their was no reason to rush him back w/ Iggy playing so well] Ross/Victorino/Gomes have been as advertised and Dempster has been excellent. While many on this thread wanted Haren / McCarthy / Greinke and others Dempster for 1st mos has been terrific and has been better than even I expected. But tonight will be interesting w/ RS losing a Lester start does Buchholz step up as a true top of the rotation guy and prevent the 2 game slide, RS don't want to be the team that gives the BJ's some momentum. Its easy to play well when things are going good, lets hope this team is as mentally tough when it hits its 1st slide. But the one good thing Ben did do was bring in a bunch of good clubhouse guys who really should help when the bad times come. 

I agree that 90 wins is probably still the best we can hope for, and the clubhouse attitude as well as on-the-field attitude seems refreshing and positive, but the true test of that always comes when times are bad... and there will be some bad times this year for sure.

I was never for Greinke, but did suggest several times, that although I did not want to sign Anibal Sanchez, I'd rather have signed him for 5 years of control than Dempster, Papi, Drew and Victorino combined, who all will be gone after 1 to 3 years.

The Dempster deal has gone well so fare, but we are only about 1/7th of the way through the season. His age is worrisome, but he looks sharp as heck!

Your right still early, but all positive signs so far. Thought Buchholz game was big last night. Didn't want RS to be team to give Jays some life as they say " kick them while they"re down. Hopefully Dempster can give RS series win tonight. Forgot to mention presence that Naps has brought to RS lineup, don't want to go to far but something we've missed since Manny / Bay left, that complement to Ortiz. If Middlebrooks gets it going this lineup could really look good. Good to see Drew finally getting it going two big 3b's and a HR last night 7 rbi's last 5 games and raisinig his avg 90 pts in last week.

As for Dempster signing still like thats its only 2 yrs. Imagine how Dodgers felt when Quintana charged that mound that night. Thats the problem w/ 5 yrs for pitchers - too much uncertainty. If Dempster goes down we owe 1 more yr and Webster is probably getting his chance. As for short term signings RS looked have gotten the right guy all others w/ 2 yr or less not pitching all that well [Haren / McCarthy] who I would have had no problem if RS signed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It just looks like we didn't even try to land Sanchez, or Kuroda ( who was equally as good and available under a shorter term contract deal ). Why? Probably because we didn't want to lose a top pick and I certainly understand that.

Take Kuroda away from the Yanks though and their chances of winning this year would have nose dived. It was ertainly tempting to make a run at these guys. Maybe Sanchez didn't have a good taste in his mouth after being traded away from the Sox the first time, and I know Kuroda was reported as wanting to stay with the Yanks. We could have made it interesting though. A strong case could have been made that Kuroda was actually worth $20 mil per in a 2 year deal.

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Your right still early, but all positive signs so far. Thought Buchholz game was big last night. Didn't want RS to be team to give Jays some life as they say " kick them while they"re down. Hopefully Dempster can give RS series win tonight. Forgot to mention presence that Naps has brought to RS lineup, don't want to go to far but something we've missed since Manny / Bay left, that complement to Ortiz. If Middlebrooks gets it going this lineup could really look good. Good to see Drew finally getting it going two big 3b's and a HR last night 7 rbi's last 5 games and raisinig his avg 90 pts in last week.

If Naps can stay healthy, he might rival Jason bay's numbers here.

As for Dempster signing still like thats its only 2 yrs. Imagine how Dodgers felt when Quintana charged that mound that night. Thats the problem w/ 5 yrs for pitchers - too much uncertainty. If Dempster goes down we owe 1 more yr and Webster is probably getting his chance. As for short term signings RS looked have gotten the right guy all others w/ 2 yr or less not pitching all that well [Haren / McCarthy] who I would have had no problem if RS signed.

As much as I disagreed with most of Ben's winter moves, I did keep saying he deserved a chance to let his plan play out. I loved the Dodger trade and had hoped it was just a step in building a true competitive team for 2014 and beyond. I felt that Ben tried to play it both ways and ended up missing the boat on both (trying to win in 2013 and trying to make us better in 2014 and beyond). So far, his moves have looked pretty good overall at the 1/6th mark in the season.

I'm hoping we keep this up, but know we will hit some rough patches along the way. The more balanced approach by this team should help lessen prolonged bad stretches. Let's hope so, anyways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ranaudo going again today in AA ball. It will be interesting how he follows up on his last start, which might have been his best in the minors to date. We may well have another stud on the farm who could even be a September call up. That rotation in Portland is one of the best I've seen there in a while. Workman is also having a solid year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coyle and Cechinni called up to Portland by the time you guys see them in July. What a solid team they would have at that point, hopefully with Bogaerts clicking on all cyclinders by then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If Naps can stay healthy, he might rival Jason bay's numbers here.

As much as I disagreed with most of Ben's winter moves, I did keep saying he deserved a chance to let his plan play out. I loved the Dodger trade and had hoped it was just a step in building a true competitive team for 2014 and beyond. I felt that Ben tried to play it both ways and ended up missing the boat on both (trying to win in 2013 and trying to make us better in 2014 and beyond). So far, his moves have looked pretty good overall at the 1/6th mark in the season.

I'm hoping we keep this up, but know we will hit some rough patches along the way. The more balanced approach by this team should help lessen prolonged bad stretches. Let's hope so, anyways.

I agree with " not being happy" with many of our off season moves moon but still feel this team can win 88 games and make the PS.  Sometimes great chemistry overides talent and it certainly doesn't hurt to get the kind of pitching we have from our SP's.  Big surprise so far, if it continues we have a shot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The last time the Boston Red Sox had the best record in the majors as of May 1st was in 2007 and 2004.  We all know what happened in those years.    Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Concerning Red Sox, FAs, & $100Mil contracts... I find it difficult to believe they stay gun shy forever. Yeah, so it didn't bite 'em this time ( Dempster vs. Sanchez ) or at least not yet. They're a big market team so $100Mil contract down the road is inevitable. Just gotta hope they're smart about it. If they didn't have so many holes to fill I think they would have gone after Sanchez more aggressively (mainly because pitching was the major problem last yr.). However, It would be disingenuous of me to not say Dempster's performances so far has helped my outlook. He's been rock solid. 

(Still wanted Anibal Sanchez)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Is anyone else concerned with the 3.825 BB/9 innings?  That's is almost 4 walks per game.  Doubront has been the absolute worst.  Not trying to be a Donny Downder here because I really like this team and believe in them a little more every day.  But I just can't help but think that if they don't stop putting guys on it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Is anyone else concerned with the 3.825 BB/9 innings?  That's is almost 4 walks per game.  Doubront has been the absolute worst.  Not trying to be a Donny Downder here because I really like this team and believe in them a little more every day.  But I just can't help but think that if they don't stop putting guys on it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.  

Guess it depends on who, how, and when. A SP scattering 4 BB over the course of a productive start might not prove costly at all. A RP doesn't obviously have that luxury.

Think Doubront been lucky so far. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

The Sox supposedly pursued Kuroda very aggressively last off season, and were willing to outbid anyone on a 1 or 2 year deal, but for Kuroda, it wasn't about the money.  Supposedly, the Sox were a distant 4th behind the Yanks, Dodgers and going back to pitch in Asia.  His agent even mentioned how aggressive the Sox pursued him, but he only wanted a 1 year deal and the Yankees made a fair offer.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Concerning Red Sox, FAs, & $100Mil contracts... I find it difficult to believe they stay gun shy forever. Yeah, so it didn't bite 'em this time ( Dempster vs. Sanchez ) or at least not yet. They're a big market team so $100Mil contract down the road is inevitable. Just gotta hope they're smart about it. If they didn't have so many holes to fill I think they would have gone after Sanchez more aggressively (mainly because pitching was the major problem last yr.). However, It would be disingenuous of me to not say Dempster's performances so far has helped my outlook. He's been rock solid. 

They will obviously give out 100 million + contracts in the future, but it will likely be for their own players, and maybe some players who clearly want to come here, but they aren't going to outbid teams for players that would rather be somewhere else, as was the case with Sanchez.  Besides, they knew they were going to likely have to pay Lester & Buchholz and having 3 starting pitchers signed long term to big dollars is a recipe for disaster.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Messrs. Moon and Connecticut Hugh : I respectfully disagree re your takes  on Felix The Cat Doubront. Strike-throwing lefties with gas are very valuable in the long term, and homegrown ( therefore inexpensive ) ones are often pure gold. Historically they often take 2-3 years to overcome wildness ( see Koufax, Randy Johnson, even Glavine to a lesser extent).

This year ST was scheduled to start early AND extend longer than normal due to WBC , plus many Latin players consider ST the time to GET in shape. Perhaps a cultural thing ? Pedro Martinez made some relevant comments  this year in Fla.

Remember that due to injuries Doubront is a really young 25 in terms of ML innings pitched. His BB rate IS too high, but his hits allowed in 2013 are down significantly from (sm.sam.sz.) his career, and his WHIP reflects this. His K/ I.P. #'s are fabulous , and mid-order hitters seem to fail against him inordinately vs. top-  and bottom-order hitters . Concentration / bearing down when necessary ?

His last start's 2nd inning-on turnaround suggests increasing maturity and resolve to me ( though it could've just been luck). Not saying he'll ever be another Koufax or Randy J. but give the kid a break. A 12-15 win 200 inning 200 strikeout Number 4 starter is still pretty darn good, especially for $ 520 K per year !

And if he DOES magically transform into a Cy Young candidate as I predicted in ST, look out !

Remember a week ago I said expect Ranaudo to clearly emerge as best arm in our AA group.( As in before the recent big dominant start).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

They will obviously give out 100 million + contracts in the future, but it will likely be for their own players, and maybe some players who clearly want to come here, but they aren't going to outbid teams for players that would rather be somewhere else, as was the case with Sanchez.  Besides, they knew they were going to likely have to pay Lester & Buchholz and having 3 starting pitchers signed long term to big dollars is a recipe for disaster.  

Good point. 

Sections
Shortcuts