A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Your right still early, but all positive signs so far. Thought Buchholz game was big last night. Didn't want RS to be team to give Jays some life as they say " kick them while they"re down. Hopefully Dempster can give RS series win tonight. Forgot to mention presence that Naps has brought to RS lineup, don't want to go to far but something we've missed since Manny / Bay left, that complement to Ortiz. If Middlebrooks gets it going this lineup could really look good. Good to see Drew finally getting it going two big 3b's and a HR last night 7 rbi's last 5 games and raisinig his avg 90 pts in last week.

If Naps can stay healthy, he might rival Jason bay's numbers here.

As for Dempster signing still like thats its only 2 yrs. Imagine how Dodgers felt when Quintana charged that mound that night. Thats the problem w/ 5 yrs for pitchers - too much uncertainty. If Dempster goes down we owe 1 more yr and Webster is probably getting his chance. As for short term signings RS looked have gotten the right guy all others w/ 2 yr or less not pitching all that well [Haren / McCarthy] who I would have had no problem if RS signed.

As much as I disagreed with most of Ben's winter moves, I did keep saying he deserved a chance to let his plan play out. I loved the Dodger trade and had hoped it was just a step in building a true competitive team for 2014 and beyond. I felt that Ben tried to play it both ways and ended up missing the boat on both (trying to win in 2013 and trying to make us better in 2014 and beyond). So far, his moves have looked pretty good overall at the 1/6th mark in the season.

I'm hoping we keep this up, but know we will hit some rough patches along the way. The more balanced approach by this team should help lessen prolonged bad stretches. Let's hope so, anyways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Ranaudo going again today in AA ball. It will be interesting how he follows up on his last start, which might have been his best in the minors to date. We may well have another stud on the farm who could even be a September call up. That rotation in Portland is one of the best I've seen there in a while. Workman is also having a solid year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coyle and Cechinni called up to Portland by the time you guys see them in July. What a solid team they would have at that point, hopefully with Bogaerts clicking on all cyclinders by then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Your right still early, but all positive signs so far. Thought Buchholz game was big last night. Didn't want RS to be team to give Jays some life as they say " kick them while they"re down. Hopefully Dempster can give RS series win tonight. Forgot to mention presence that Naps has brought to RS lineup, don't want to go to far but something we've missed since Manny / Bay left, that complement to Ortiz. If Middlebrooks gets it going this lineup could really look good. Good to see Drew finally getting it going two big 3b's and a HR last night 7 rbi's last 5 games and raisinig his avg 90 pts in last week.

If Naps can stay healthy, he might rival Jason bay's numbers here.

As for Dempster signing still like thats its only 2 yrs. Imagine how Dodgers felt when Quintana charged that mound that night. Thats the problem w/ 5 yrs for pitchers - too much uncertainty. If Dempster goes down we owe 1 more yr and Webster is probably getting his chance. As for short term signings RS looked have gotten the right guy all others w/ 2 yr or less not pitching all that well [Haren / McCarthy] who I would have had no problem if RS signed.

As much as I disagreed with most of Ben's winter moves, I did keep saying he deserved a chance to let his plan play out. I loved the Dodger trade and had hoped it was just a step in building a true competitive team for 2014 and beyond. I felt that Ben tried to play it both ways and ended up missing the boat on both (trying to win in 2013 and trying to make us better in 2014 and beyond). So far, his moves have looked pretty good overall at the 1/6th mark in the season.

I'm hoping we keep this up, but know we will hit some rough patches along the way. The more balanced approach by this team should help lessen prolonged bad stretches. Let's hope so, anyways.

I agree with " not being happy" with many of our off season moves moon but still feel this team can win 88 games and make the PS.  Sometimes great chemistry overides talent and it certainly doesn't hurt to get the kind of pitching we have from our SP's.  Big surprise so far, if it continues we have a shot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The last time the Boston Red Sox had the best record in the majors as of May 1st was in 2007 and 2004.  We all know what happened in those years.    Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Concerning Red Sox, FAs, & $100Mil contracts... I find it difficult to believe they stay gun shy forever. Yeah, so it didn't bite 'em this time ( Dempster vs. Sanchez ) or at least not yet. They're a big market team so $100Mil contract down the road is inevitable. Just gotta hope they're smart about it. If they didn't have so many holes to fill I think they would have gone after Sanchez more aggressively (mainly because pitching was the major problem last yr.). However, It would be disingenuous of me to not say Dempster's performances so far has helped my outlook. He's been rock solid. 

(Still wanted Anibal Sanchez)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Is anyone else concerned with the 3.825 BB/9 innings?  That's is almost 4 walks per game.  Doubront has been the absolute worst.  Not trying to be a Donny Downder here because I really like this team and believe in them a little more every day.  But I just can't help but think that if they don't stop putting guys on it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Is anyone else concerned with the 3.825 BB/9 innings?  That's is almost 4 walks per game.  Doubront has been the absolute worst.  Not trying to be a Donny Downder here because I really like this team and believe in them a little more every day.  But I just can't help but think that if they don't stop putting guys on it's going to come back to bite them in the butt.  

Guess it depends on who, how, and when. A SP scattering 4 BB over the course of a productive start might not prove costly at all. A RP doesn't obviously have that luxury.

Think Doubront been lucky so far. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It just looks like we didn't even try to land Sanchez, or Kuroda ( who was equally as good and available under a shorter term contract deal ). Why? Probably because we didn't want to lose a top pick and I certainly understand that.

Take Kuroda away from the Yanks though and their chances of winning this year would have nose dived. It was ertainly tempting to make a run at these guys. Maybe Sanchez didn't have a good taste in his mouth after being traded away from the Sox the first time, and I know Kuroda was reported as wanting to stay with the Yanks. We could have made it interesting though. A strong case could have been made that Kuroda was actually worth $20 mil per in a 2 year deal.

The Sox supposedly pursued Kuroda very aggressively last off season, and were willing to outbid anyone on a 1 or 2 year deal, but for Kuroda, it wasn't about the money.  Supposedly, the Sox were a distant 4th behind the Yanks, Dodgers and going back to pitch in Asia.  His agent even mentioned how aggressive the Sox pursued him, but he only wanted a 1 year deal and the Yankees made a fair offer.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Concerning Red Sox, FAs, & $100Mil contracts... I find it difficult to believe they stay gun shy forever. Yeah, so it didn't bite 'em this time ( Dempster vs. Sanchez ) or at least not yet. They're a big market team so $100Mil contract down the road is inevitable. Just gotta hope they're smart about it. If they didn't have so many holes to fill I think they would have gone after Sanchez more aggressively (mainly because pitching was the major problem last yr.). However, It would be disingenuous of me to not say Dempster's performances so far has helped my outlook. He's been rock solid. 

They will obviously give out 100 million + contracts in the future, but it will likely be for their own players, and maybe some players who clearly want to come here, but they aren't going to outbid teams for players that would rather be somewhere else, as was the case with Sanchez.  Besides, they knew they were going to likely have to pay Lester & Buchholz and having 3 starting pitchers signed long term to big dollars is a recipe for disaster.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It just looks like we didn't even try to land Sanchez, or Kuroda ( who was equally as good and available under a shorter term contract deal ). Why? Probably because we didn't want to lose a top pick and I certainly understand that.

Take Kuroda away from the Yanks though and their chances of winning this year would have nose dived. It was ertainly tempting to make a run at these guys. Maybe Sanchez didn't have a good taste in his mouth after being traded away from the Sox the first time, and I know Kuroda was reported as wanting to stay with the Yanks. We could have made it interesting though. A strong case could have been made that Kuroda was actually worth $20 mil per in a 2 year deal.

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Messrs. Moon and Connecticut Hugh : I respectfully disagree re your takes  on Felix The Cat Doubront. Strike-throwing lefties with gas are very valuable in the long term, and homegrown ( therefore inexpensive ) ones are often pure gold. Historically they often take 2-3 years to overcome wildness ( see Koufax, Randy Johnson, even Glavine to a lesser extent).

This year ST was scheduled to start early AND extend longer than normal due to WBC , plus many Latin players consider ST the time to GET in shape. Perhaps a cultural thing ? Pedro Martinez made some relevant comments  this year in Fla.

Remember that due to injuries Doubront is a really young 25 in terms of ML innings pitched. His BB rate IS too high, but his hits allowed in 2013 are down significantly from (sm.sam.sz.) his career, and his WHIP reflects this. His K/ I.P. #'s are fabulous , and mid-order hitters seem to fail against him inordinately vs. top-  and bottom-order hitters . Concentration / bearing down when necessary ?

His last start's 2nd inning-on turnaround suggests increasing maturity and resolve to me ( though it could've just been luck). Not saying he'll ever be another Koufax or Randy J. but give the kid a break. A 12-15 win 200 inning 200 strikeout Number 4 starter is still pretty darn good, especially for $ 520 K per year !

And if he DOES magically transform into a Cy Young candidate as I predicted in ST, look out !

Remember a week ago I said expect Ranaudo to clearly emerge as best arm in our AA group.( As in before the recent big dominant start).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

They will obviously give out 100 million + contracts in the future, but it will likely be for their own players, and maybe some players who clearly want to come here, but they aren't going to outbid teams for players that would rather be somewhere else, as was the case with Sanchez.  Besides, they knew they were going to likely have to pay Lester & Buchholz and having 3 starting pitchers signed long term to big dollars is a recipe for disaster.  

Good point. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Trumbo had a another nice game last night, one homer, two hits?  If we aren't moving one of our 3rd basemen there, he's the type of guy I'd like in the future...Wow, we smacked the Jays last night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  

1) We are not sure if BM was interested in us or not.

2) You may be right that we were never interested in him, but that is what I mean about you thinking that should end the debate.

My position was that we should have been interested, because I obviously liked BM more than Ben did. That was the crux of the debate. You feel like since Ben was never interested 9assuming he wasn't), me going on and on about why I felt we should have made an offer is useless.

The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  

He and a few others I mentioned have been worse than brutal. The main point about BM was that I felt we could have gotten him for 3-4 years at the same cost as Dempster for 2. And, I was basically writing off this year's chances.

You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

Crawford chose to sign here, so I'm not sure his example fits, but I get your point.

I have never pretended to be an expert, but I do feel most of the players I have suggested we try and acquire have gone on to play well. I have been very supportive of many moves by our past GMs. I defended Dan D more than maybe anyone here. I was never part of the dump Theo brigade, although I was more and more critical of his moves after the Nomar deal.

I have said many times that Ben deserves a chance to let his plan play out, and so far, it has looked very good.

I have had and will continue to have no problem admitting when I was wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Messrs. Moon and Connecticut Hugh : I respectfully disagree re your takes  on Felix The Cat Doubront. Strike-throwing lefties with gas are very valuable in the long term, and homegrown ( therefore inexpensive ) ones are often pure gold. Historically they often take 2-3 years to overcome wildness ( see Koufax, Randy Johnson, even Glavine to a lesser extent).

This year ST was scheduled to start early AND extend longer than normal due to WBC , plus many Latin players consider ST the time to GET in shape. Perhaps a cultural thing ? Pedro Martinez made some relevant comments  this year in Fla.

Remember that due to injuries Doubront is a really young 25 in terms of ML innings pitched. His BB rate IS too high, but his hits allowed in 2013 are down significantly from (sm.sam.sz.) his career, and his WHIP reflects this. His K/ I.P. #'s are fabulous , and mid-order hitters seem to fail against him inordinately vs. top-  and bottom-order hitters . Concentration / bearing down when necessary ?

His last start's 2nd inning-on turnaround suggests increasing maturity and resolve to me ( though it could've just been luck). Not saying he'll ever be another Koufax or Randy J. but give the kid a break. A 12-15 win 200 inning 200 strikeout Number 4 starter is still pretty darn good, especially for $ 520 K per year !

And if he DOES magically transform into a Cy Young candidate as I predicted in ST, look out !

Remember a week ago I said expect Ranaudo to clearly emerge as best arm in our AA group.( As in before the recent big dominant start).

1) YOU MEAN "BALL THROWING LEFTIES" RIGHT?

2) His injuries can be partially blamed on poor conditioning of his own doing.

3) Nobody doubts the fact that Doubront has the talent to be an ace. You are not alone on that, but countless pitchers have had the talent, but never even became a good #5 starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  

1) We are not sure if BM was interested in us or not.

2) You may be right that we were never interested in him, but that is what I mean about you thinking that should end the debate.

My position was that we should have been interested, because I obviously liked BM more than Ben did. That was the crux of the debate. You feel like since Ben was never interested 9assuming he wasn't), me going on and on about why I felt we should have made an offer is useless.

The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  

He and a few others I mentioned have been worse than brutal. The main point about BM was that I felt we could have gotten him for 3-4 years at the same cost as Dempster for 2. And, I was basically writing off this year's chances.

You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

Crawford chose to sign here, so I'm not sure his example fits, but I get your point.

I have never pretended to be an expert, but I do feel most of the players I have suggested we try and acquire have gone on to play well. I have been very supportive of many moves by our past GMs. I defended Dan D more than maybe anyone here. I was never part of the dump Theo brigade, although I was more and more critical of his moves after the Nomar deal.

I have said many times that Ben deserves a chance to let his plan play out, and so far, it has looked very good.

I have had and will continue to have no problem admitting when I was wrong.

Moon, Crawford has said he received a ton of pressure to take the Sox' deal because of the money.  The Angels were his option B at the time, but the difference in money was too great.  A lot of people who knew Crawford questioned whether he could handle this market.  You can read how the Crawford deal went down with Theo calling JH in the middle of the night in London and you'll realize it was pretty much an "impulse buy."  Yes, they investigated him pretty thoroughly that offseason, as they do most players they have interest in, but Theo never would have signed him prior to that offseason, as that was the pinnacle of "Feeding the Monster."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, Crawford has said he received a ton of pressure to take the Sox' deal because of the money.  The Angels were his option B at the time, but the difference in money was too great.  A lot of people who knew Crawford questioned whether he could handle this market.  You can read how the Crawford deal went down with Theo calling JH in the middle of the night in London and you'll realize it was pretty much an "impulse buy."  Yes, they investigated him pretty thoroughly that offseason, as they do most players they have interest in, but Theo never would have signed him prior to that offseason, as that was the pinnacle of "Feeding the Monster."

I get your point and do not necesarily disagree, but there are plenty of players that do well in places they prefer not to be, but my guess is we really only hear about the ones that fail.

Renteria was another example.

I can think of Manny, who almost immediately had second thoughts while the ink was still wet on the contract, yet he not only survived, he helped lead us to 2 rings.

I also think CC would have eventually regained form here in Boston, but we'll never know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I get your point and do not necesarily disagree, but there are plenty of players that do well in places they prefer not to be, but my guess is we really only hear about the ones that fail.

I can think of Manny, who almost immediately had second thoughts while the ink was still wet on the contract, yet he not only survived, he helped lead us to 2 rings.

I also think CC would have eventually regained form here in Boston, but we'll never know.

I agree that Crawford may have come around and that the Sox figured they had no choice but to hope he did.  I also heard Beckett and Gonzalez weren't coming back after last season no matter what.

Schilling was talking about Manny yesterday and he mentioned that anyone who played with him could write a book.  I hung out with Mark Malaska on St. Paddy's Day in Newport in '06 and he was telling tons of Manny stories and he was only with the Sox for a brief time.  Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now. 

Not sure if you remember, but the Sox/Manny negotiations were played on ESPN.  They both agreed to allow cameras in the suite.  I remember actually feeling bad for Duquette.  He was a mess.  The Sox lost Mussina to the Yankees, so they went hard after Manny.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember being so pumped up getting Manny. Knowing we finally got a hitter in the clutch.

He may have done better elsewhere, but he was good enough here for sure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

3) Nobody doubts the fact that Doubront has the talent to be an ace. You are not alone on that, but countless pitchers have had the talent, but never even became a good #5 starter.

You may be accurate, but could have at least acknowledged 2013's vastly improved hits / innings pitched rate, microscopic change lower in WHIP, and absence of HR allowed.

Not all players take off-season condtioning that seriously, and Felix IS a left-hander.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I agree that Crawford may have come around and that the Sox figured they had no choice but to hope he did.  I also heard Beckett and Gonzalez weren't coming back after last season no matter what.

Schilling was talking about Manny yesterday and he mentioned that anyone who played with him could write a book.  I hung out with Mark Malaska on St. Paddy's Day in Newport in '06 and he was telling tons of Manny stories and he was only with the Sox for a brief time.  Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now. 

Not sure if you remember, but the Sox/Manny negotiations were played on ESPN.  They both agreed to allow cameras in the suite.  I remember actually feeling bad for Duquette.  He was a mess.  The Sox lost Mussina to the Yankees, so they went hard after Manny.  

"Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now."

TOO fuuny....LOL 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You may be accurate, but could have at least acknowledged 2013's vastly improved hits / innings pitched rate, microscopic change lower in WHIP, and absence of HR allowed.

Yes, his H/9 rate has gone down by slightly more than his BB/9 has gone up.  BBs are bettter to allow than hits, so there has been a slight overall imprpovement, but forgive me if I never ever gush over any pitcher who walks 5 guys per 9 IP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see Gomes get a couple hits and a BB. His OBP is now at .377, so that .208 BA is not as bad as it looks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew's OBP is now up to .290 after a horrific start to 2013.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli, Uehara and Dempster going back to Arlington.  I think the Rangers crowd will cheer for them (unlike Hamilton).   LOL

I expect Boston to win two out of three in this series.