A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Trumbo hit another homer last night, (3) run shot? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm hoping Webster ends the whole discussion on Doubront by doing exceptionally well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm hoping Webster ends the whole discussion on Doubront by doing exceptionally well.

Even if he pitches a no hitter he is going back down to Pawtucket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Even if he pitches a no hitter he is going back down to Pawtucket.

Your comment sounds adamant.  What makes you so certain?  Especially with the troubles Doubront is having.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Bailey and Hanrahan in question, Breslow just returning, and Tazawa moving to the closer, there's an opening in the pen. Doubront could be the man for that job, and I do not think Webster would be put in a relief role anytime soon.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I really like Webster and would love to see him do great and become our 5 starter. I'm tired of waiting for Doubront to get his act together, but that does not in any way mean I am hoping he does poorly so Webster wins his job. I will root equally as strongly for Doubront to do very well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Attendance on Monday between the Blue Jays and Rays: 9,952 (29.2% full)

Attendance yesterday between the two teams: 10,273 (30.1% full)

A few years ago, I went to Tropicana Field to see the Red Sox play the Rays.  The stadium employees let us sit closer to the field because it was so empty.    LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

A few years ago, I went to Tropicana Field to see the Red Sox play the Rays.  The stadium employees let us sit closer to the field because it was so empty.    LOL

I saw our opening day game in Tropicana the closer by committee season. I actually did not think the place was as bad as many make it out to be.

It's not the field- it's the fact that many people who live in Florida were not bron and raised there. They move to Florida and remain fans of the teams they grew up loving. It's a little bit the same here in the Houston area- lots of transplants and fans of teams not from Houston... like me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I saw our opening day game in Tropicana the closer by committee season. I actually did not think the place was as bad as many make it out to be.

It's not the field- it's the fact that many people who live in Florida were not bron and raised there. They move to Florida and remain fans of the teams they grew up loving. It's a little bit the same here in the Houston area- lots of transplants and fans of teams not from Houston... like me.

Hello moonslav59  Laughing

I agree with you.  When I went to Tampa Bay, it seemed like the people were more into fishing than baseball.   LOL

When I went to Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI, a few fans had their Green Bay Packer cheeseheads on.   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hello moonslav59  Laughing

I agree with you.  When I went to Tampa Bay, it seemed like the people were more into fishing than baseball.   LOL

When I went to Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI, a few fans had their Green Bay Packer cheeseheads on.   LOL

I was a 10 year old living 2 blocks from County Stadium when the Brewers moved to Milwaukee. I fell in love with baseball then, and when my favorite player, Tommy Harper, was traded to the Sox at the same time we moved to Portland, ME, I became a Sox fan.

Yes, Milwaukee is all about football, but they do support the Bucks and Brewers. BTW, I am still a Packer and Bucks fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Have faith guys.

Things will get better...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The fact is that Webster still needs better control of his fastball. No surprise here. It's not easy and that was the book on him last year.

That is not to say that he will not be an excellent pitcher someday. Look at what they did with Buchholz. It took years for him to pull it together and optimal fastball command is what made the difference. Buchholz had great stuff also but until he was able to spot his fastball consistently he was a very inconsistent solution.

Let's not get discuraged, even though it is looking pretty ugly in the #5 slot for a while. I wish Middlebrooks was contributing more also. We all were expecting more from him this year. hopefully he starts connecting more often soon.

That big 3 HR game appears to have made him pull happy to me. He should be focusing on hitting the ball where it is pitched more often. A very common mistake.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The line-up is much more balanced than recent years and the numbers show that... so far.

Runs scored (by percent of games):

2013  '12  '11

0-1       15     16   14

2-3       24     33   18

4            6     10   19

5            6       8   15

6-7       32    16     9

8+        18    17    25

median  5      4     4

0-3      39    49    32

4-5      12    18    34

6+        50   33    34

Batting order OPS

2013  '12    '11

1)  .703  .673  .903

2)  .713  .709  .827

3)  .792  .814  .916

4)  .972  .827  .861

5)  .831  .733  .885

6)  .810  .840  .695

7)  .860  .651  .778

8)  .778  .700  .629

9)  .709  .612  .757

We currently have no slots below .709. Last year we had 3 slots at .700 or below. In 2011, we had 2 slots below .696 and we clearly very top heavy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

The fact is that Webster still needs better control of his fastball. No surprise here. It's not easy and that was the book on him last year.

That is not to say that he will not be an excellent pitcher someday. Look at what they did with Buchholz. It took years for him to pull it together and optimal fastball command is what made the difference. Buchholz had great stuff also but until he was able to spot his fastball consistently he was a very inconsistent solution.

Let's not get discuraged, even though it is looking pretty ugly in the #5 slot for a while. I wish Middlebrooks was contributing more also. We all were expecting more from him this year. hopefully he starts connecting more often soon.

That big 3 HR game appears to have made him pull happy to me. He should be focusing on hitting the ball where it is pitched more often. A very common mistake.

We knew that there was bound to be some slot(s) that dissapointed us this year. Not many of us expected Middlebrooks, but it's not a complete surprise when you figure his sample size was small last year, and his K rate was always high. I hope he makes the proper adjustments and turns it around soon.

The 5 slot in the rotation was my biggest concern this past winter, and I have never been for seeking a 5-slot type pitcher (like softy always is), but rather a top of rotation starter than moves 3-4 guys down a peg and our 4 starter (Lackey or Dempster) becomes the new #5. We have a few options for the 5 slot, but all have big question marks, and the guy I liked the most in our system for that slot (Tazawa) is now our closer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

It was on another thread but, someone reminded everyone how long it took Ortiz to fully come back after his wrist injury (2 months). I mean, to start hitting consistently again that is. A good 2 months. So I'm holding out for another month ( give or take a week ) on Middlebrooks. His production so far has been eerily similar to Ortiz' if i think back. Like Ortiz, WMB has had good games (few & far between) that makes you think its all behind him, then blanks for a week. Looks like himself for a game, then not so much for an extended period of games. Its frustrating & unfortunate, but he needs another month i think. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

How long before they give Webster another look is my question?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

It was on another thread but, someone reminded everyone how long it took Ortiz to fully come back after his wrist injury (2 months). I mean, to start hitting consistently again that is. A good 2 months. So I'm holding out for another month ( give or take a week ) on Middlebrooks. His production so far has been eerily similar to Ortiz' if i think back. Like Ortiz, WMB has had good games (few & far between) that makes you think its all behind him, then blanks for a week. Looks like himself for a game, then not so much for an extended period of games. Its frustrating & unfortunate, but he needs another month i think. 

I think he will get a long look, before any major change is made. The fact that we really have no other options at 3B right now, may force a longer look anyways.

Time to move Bogaerts to 3B?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Time to move Bogaerts to 3B?

I'd be all for it. Even if he doesnt do that well, it gives him some MLB experience. Gives WMB some time to recover, get his swing back & his mind focused. Especially after that collision (An OFer might brush that off, a 3B isnt used to hitting a wall that hard ). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe they should give Brock Holt some time at 3B soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Furthermore, theres a lot of talk about lack of depth at 3B, but what about 1B? What happens if Napoli gets hurt? Im of the opinion that WMB bat will come around at the plate, but if he does get sent down AA or AAA, it would be a perfect time to DH, 3B, & Give him some time at 1B. A scenario we've all talked about for months. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Guys, Webster needs time to develop.  I remember one year (his 2nd?) Buch was like 1-7 but he had to go through that.  Pitching to major league hitters in succession is not like pitching in ST.  The question for me is, should they just keep him up and let him be the #5 or keep yo-yoing back to AAA?  Since they sent him back already, it's obvious what the RS think and that's their usual path.  I suggest that maybe the quickest line for his development is to stay up and learn on the job.  Maybe next year at this time we have a proven starter.  Would he do any worse than Doubie at this time?

Ok, I probably sound like an Aceves apologist, but we need help in the pen now.  I think I would have a couple team leaders, especially someone who speaks Spanish (Papi and the pitching coach), talk to him along the lines of "We really need you now, your team needs you, you need to step up and be a man and show your true talent."  I think he might respond to that.  Furthermore, if we want to trade him and get him a fresh start, then it's best for all involved if he looks good for a while.  Maybe he would respond to that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Furthermore, theres a lot of talk about lack of depth at 3B, but what about 1B? What happens if Napoli gets hurt? Im of the opinion that WMB bat will come around at the plate, but if he does get sent down AA or AAA, it would be a perfect time to DH, 3B, & Give him some time at 1B. A scenario we've all talked about for months. 

I'm sure they'd hesitate to use Papi at 1B, but he could be risked a bit for a game or two, but my guess is Salty would play 1B and Lava or Vazquez would come up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Guys, Webster needs time to develop.  I remember one year (his 2nd?) Buch was like 1-7 but he had to go through that.  Pitching to major league hitters in succession is not like pitching in ST.  The question for me is, should they just keep him up and let him be the #5 or keep yo-yoing back to AAA?  Since they sent him back already, it's obvious what the RS think and that's their usual path.  I suggest that maybe the quickest line for his development is to stay up and learn on the job.  Maybe next year at this time we have a proven starter.  Would he do any worse than Doubie at this time?

Ok, I probably sound like an Aceves apologist, but we need help in the pen now.  I think I would have a couple team leaders, especially someone who speaks Spanish (Papi and the pitching coach), talk to him along the lines of "We really need you now, your team needs you, you need to step up and be a man and show your true talent."  I think he might respond to that.  Furthermore, if we want to trade him and get him a fresh start, then it's best for all involved if he looks good for a while.  Maybe he would respond to that.

Not much else to choose from. Aceves has as good a chance as anyone else at helping in a meaningful way. At least he has a history of doing so not long ago.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy latching onto something he agreed with.

Classic.

The difference is, I don't run away from my earlier positions and deny them, even if they prove to be wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox OBP after last night.

Carp  .432

Ortiz  .412

Pedey .405

Nava   .383

Gomes .361

Shane .353

Ciriaco .353

D Ross  .341

Salty    .330