A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

The kicker is, none of those teams other than maybe the Orioles have more talent, but they are getting timely hits.

We have two good pitchers but could use a third badly as we have all discussed.  Ells needs to learn how to go to the opposite field more and bunt his way on because he's simply not a great leadoff guy. We have way too many SO's as a team and are beginniing to drop defensively.  I also think we made a bad move signing Gomes but could easily make a couple moves to improve some of these areas and still end up at the top of the division. 

That's Ben's call, is he content until kids like Bradley, Bogy and Iggy are ready?  Or can/will he find ways to improve the present club to compete all season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

And we'll have what? Lackey Buch Lester?  We could win 2 of those.

Doubront , Lackey and Lester. We will be be satisfied with one win. 

Realistically, that sounds about right. I would also not be surprised to see us get swept and be just three games above .500 and return from this road trip AT .500 and in fourth place.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theres no stats that will convince me what my eyes see as far as Doubront. Hes pitching badly, is out of shape and has lost 4MPH on his FB. He is not an efficient pitcher thus far. 100+ pitches in 5IP is not good on a regular basis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

The kicker is, none of those teams other than maybe the Orioles have more talent, but they are getting timely hits.

We have two good pitchers but could use a third badly as we have all discussed.  Ells needs to learn how to go to the opposite field more and bunt his way on because he's simply not a great leadoff guy. We have way too many SO's as a team and are beginniing to drop defensively.  I also think we made a bad move signing Gomes but could easily make a couple moves to improve some of these areas and still end up at the top of the division. 

That's Ben's call, is he content until kids like Bradley, Bogy and Iggy are ready?  Or can/will he find ways to improve the present club to compete all season?

Actually, many here felt Dempster was that guy. A few others thought lackey and/or Doubront was that guy. One clown thought we didn't need anyone, but just needed to "focus on our pitchers in the minors more".

For years, my position has been to always try and rebuild the staff from the 1-3 slots, not the 3-5 slots. Realistically, it just can't happen every year, but our last 2 attempts have been Lackey and Dempster. (Before that? Beckett and Schill)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Actually, many here felt Dempster was that guy. A few others thought lackey and/or Doubront was that guy. One clown thought we didn't need anyone, but just needed to "focus on our pitchers in the minors more".

For years, my position has been to always try and rebuild the staff from the 1-3 slots, not the 3-5 slots. Realistically, it just can't happen every year, but our last 2 attempts have been Lackey and Dempster. (Before that? Beckett and Schill)

If I remember correctly moon you and I were both against the Dempster signing but he can still end up being a much better aquisition than Lackey.  I think we may want to re-think our strategy a bit if things continue the same way.  We have a pretty good idea guys like Doubront, Bard, Miller and Aceves may not be the answer, while Lackey may still be the same inconsistent guy as well.  I know you are a Tazawa fan but I don't see him as a SP or closer either.  I also love our young SP's on the farm but they could end up like Casey Kelly and Hansen.  Even if they do make it theres no telling how long before they might make a real impact on a consistent basis.  Thats just the starting rotation, what about our young positional players like Iggy, Bradley, Bogy and especially Middy who has to be a concern to some extent. 

Financially, if we just want to put a competitive "but not great" club on the field each year we should stay away from top FA's and continue on the present course.  I'm not sure we will ever win another championship without a couple more nice additions like Victorino has been so far. 

There is still a long way to go this season but I think we have a much better idea of our needs moving forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Financially, if we just want to put a competitive "but not great" club on the field each year we should stay away from top FA's and continue on the present course.  I'm not sure we will ever win another championship without a couple more nice additions like Victorino has been so far. 

Our "present course" included signing a massive amount of FAs to a pretty hefty combined price tag.

I can see if we trade away some of the pieces we just signed plus maybe a few other players not in our longterm plans, we may end up with a boatload of prospects of which some may be ready by 2015. Budget space would allow us to fill the gaps with role or bridge players and even a big splurge here or there if the moment is right.

I'm still happy with our future, but as I said this past winter, after the Dodger trade, we did virtually nothing for 2015 and beyond. (We even traded away some youth for the one year of Hanrahan.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

That was a 3 for 1 deal for Hanrahan but it really cleared some space on the 40 man roster and gave up players who weren't going to help us...Pimentel might have eventually helped but I think the odds were against him. It's to bad all we are going to get out of it was two bad weeks of Hanrahan. Still it was a good idea and they probably will explore some more deals like that since they have a lot of kids that are close to the rule 5 draft or being DFA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

That was a 3 for 1 deal for Hanrahan but it really cleared some space on the 40 man roster and gave up players who weren't going to help us...Pimentel might have eventually helped but I think the odds were against him. It's to bad all we are going to get out of it was two bad weeks of Hanrahan. Still it was a good idea and they probably will explore some more deals like that since they have a lot of kids that are close to the rule 5 draft or being DFA.

It was actually a 4 for 2 trade, but that wasn't really what I had in mind when I mentioned our need to look for some 3 for 1 type deals.

Hanrahan and Brock for Melancon, De Jesus, Sands, and Pimentel.

Melancon got a bad rap from many posters here based on a pretty small sample size of IP with the Yanks and Sox. He was still young and had several control years left.

Sands has a .487 OPS in AAA this year in 130 PAs (0 HRs)

DeJesus has an .830 OPS in AAA (92 PAs)

Melancon is just 28 and has a 0.47 ERA and 0.684 WHIP in 19 IP with Pitt so far.

20 K and 1 BB.

I guess the thought was we might extend Hanrahan, and our concerns about Baliey's health turned out correct thus far, but I really didn't see this past winter as a time to trade so many team controlled years for a 1 year guy and Holt.

FYI: Holt is at .445 in 109 AAA PAs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Hill, You have forgotten more stats than I'll EVER know.  Yet, all the positive stats in the world couldn't convince me that Doubront is presently pitching decent.  He isn't.  I think a person would have to be blind to not see he's not pitching well.  Actually, a blind person could listen to the games and come to the same conclusion.

If Hill was a weapon its number one ability would be to bore u to death.

Hill didn't say Doubront was pitching well. He said he was pitching better than his ERA indicates.   And he's right! But everyone here would like to see another 3-4 mph on that fastball to make us feel a little better about future projections.

And BTW Burrito, you are completely worthless here, on your best day you shut up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Hill, You have forgotten more stats than I'll EVER know.  Yet, all the positive stats in the world couldn't convince me that Doubront is presently pitching decent.  He isn't.  I think a person would have to be blind to not see he's not pitching well.  Actually, a blind person could listen to the games and come to the same conclusion.

Hill didn't say Doubront was pitching well. He said he was pitching better than his ERA indicates.   And he's right! But everyone here would like to see another 3-4 mph on that fastball to make us feel a little better about future projections.

And BTW Burrito, you are completely worthless here, on your best day you shut up.

In retrospect, you're right.  I shouldn't have extrapolated.  Sometimes I suffer from foot in mouth syndrome.

Too bad we all can't be perfect like you.....just kidding..Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hill didn't say Doubront was pitching well. He said he was pitching better than his ERA indicates. 

Better than 6.40 leaves a lot of wiggle room to be "better", but still stink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In retrospect, you're right.  I shouldn't have extrapolated.  Sometimes I suffer from foot in mouth syndrome.

Too bad we all can't be perfect like you.....just kidding..Laughing

Amp, I meant to respond to mega loser Burrito. Hill is a great guy who has been nothing but a good influence here, making one insightful comment after another, politely even. And Burrito has to find fault with him. It's ridiculous. I sometimes stand up for people here when it's warranted. And that time it was warranted. Burrito shouldn't have gone there.

You and I know, as in people with a brain and some compassion know, that there are all types here. People who are sick with narcissism, depression, bipolar disorder, autism, sick with severe illnesses which cause them pain every second of the day. People who are in fact dying as we speak. We should cut each other a lot more slack but with some of these guys it is relentless negativity and hurtful comments for no apparent reason. I can't help but respond to it sometimes even though I know it gets me nowhere personally. There but by the grace of God go each of us and I mean that sincerely. Many of us have experienced problems with members of our own families. It could happen to anyone. And some of these responses are incredibly hurtful. For example, I myself am probably somewhat autistic. I try to manage it but sometimes I say inappropriate things but there are those among us who just want to hurt others and it needs to be addressed sometimes. 

And by the way Amp, I don't mean to come across like a know it all so often. We disagree sometimes and I express an opinion but it is never intended to be hurtful to you or anyone else here who doesn't go out of their way to be hurtful to others. We can disagree on things but it is often over relatively minor issues. For example, even I would prefer Webster over Doubront at this point. If he can keep the ball low he can be extremely effective. Webster should look at Alex Cobb's next outing. That should be his approach. I'm afraid that Doubront is not going to be able to help us much this year. Opponents are hitting .420 against him for a reason. He is walking batters for a reason. For whatever reason, his stuff is no longer there. It happens in mlb.

We all have our baseball opinions and we can agree to disagree reasonably without posting hurtful comments for no reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm afraid that Doubront is not going to be able to help us much this year. Opponents are hitting .420 against him for a reason. He is walking batters for a reason. For whatever reason, his stuff is no longer there. It happens in mlb.

Doubront still has a chance to turn things around, but I think it's come down to one last chance to prove it for this year anyway.

I've been wrong several times of the years, but I took a lot of flack for expressing my grave concerns about Doubront's WHIP trend and his attitude issues. I'm not saying "I told you so", because the season is still young and I have been wrong so far on several players on the Sox, but it is crunch time for Felix.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'm afraid that Doubront is not going to be able to help us much this year. Opponents are hitting .420 against him for a reason. He is walking batters for a reason. For whatever reason, his stuff is no longer there. It happens in mlb.

Doubront still has a chance to turn things around, but I think it's come down to one last chance to prove it for this year anyway.

I've been wrong several times of the years, but I took a lot of flack for expressing my grave concerns about Doubront's WHIP trend and his attitude issues. I'm not saying "I told you so", because the season is still young and I have been wrong so far on several players on the Sox, but it is crunch time for Felix.

What do they do w/ him if he doesn't turn it around? Long relief in unwinnable games to save the rest of the pen? And that's not a situation or a role anyone looks forward to. Maybe his lack of conditioning has affected his velocity-might not be that his arm is the problem, but maybe his legs? IDK. Could be that the 5th Starter wasn't as a priority as much as getting Lester, Buch, & Lackey back to form. If he can't succeed w/ Farrell & Nieves by his side, i'm not sure there's anything left to say. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He was at 95 at the beginning of the year and now he is strugglling to reach 92. He was at 95 last year. Maybe he can take a short break and get his arm strength back but if not I don't think he will be successful either but he was a different pitcher a few weeks ago. As Hill stated, his underlying data was stronger than he was being given credit for but that last start or 2 have been killers. Guys hitting .420 off him is off the charts bad. And it is probably not all bad luck.

I'm hoping for a DL stint personally.

I noted earlier that he sat at 91-92 for most of his minor league career. So what happened in the interim? Maybe a little more physical development and he gained strength. Maybe something else which is not there any more. Could be some sort of injury. We have had a lot of pitchers who pitched with injuries and lost arm strength. Schilling, and I remember one guy who pitched with 2 arm injuries but can't place his name right now. But, for whatever the reason it's not there.

The alternatives were not that strong either. Webster has had command problems and he got shelled recently also. De La rosa has never pitched much more than 50 innings in any one year so he is not going to be able to help us much probably, even though he does look like he is advancing nicely right now. Morales is a possibility but he is probably weeks away from giving us many innings but to me he is our best shot. Ranaudo is looking pretty good right now and could at some point jump from AA ball but it's not ideal. Barnes has a way to go also. The cavalry is coming but they are riding shetland ponies. Workman is a possibility but not ideal.

They may spoil Webster by bringing him up too early and expecting too much from him. We are pushing his development more than I would like.  He needs to work on his fastball command just like Buchholz had to coming up. He will have some additional bad days until he learns to control his emotions and repeat his delivery even in Fenway.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Boomerangs you were about the only one who didn't wish harness well when we heard he was ill and couldn't post anymore... that speaks volumes. You really are an azz - still held a grudge.

I miss reading harness and expitch school your azz on a daily basis.

I still talk to expitch via email. Loads of knowledge when it comes to baseball because of his experience playing and being involved throughout his life. He sees and understands things that a lot of folks here dont, because of that experience. Actually, just got an email from him today Im about to read.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Hill didn't say Doubront was pitching well. He said he was pitching better than his ERA indicates. 

Better than 6.40 leaves a lot of wiggle room to be "better", but still stink.

It's not a fair extrapolation, but a 6.40 ERA with a .420 BABIP works out to a 4.57 ERA with a league-average BABIP of about .300.

The 4.57 ERA is better than Doubront's 2012 ERA of 4.86 when the lefthander had a BABIP of .312.

I was pessimistic about Doubront (and Clay Buchholz) entering the season, but his pitching might not be as bad as his ERA suggests.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I feel bad about that message to Hill.  Besides, the guy if a fellow Oregonian.  I hope he reads this and understands.  I don't feel Dubront is doing well at all, and Hill's message didn't really say that.  I guess you could call Hill the optomist for seeing something positive in a real bad situation.

My problem is that sometimes I'll overreact.  As I've gotten older, it seems to have mellowed somewhat, but it still pops it's head up on occasion.

I realize you and Burritto have had a few go arounds.  It would be nice if you guys could come to some mutual understanding because I don't have issues with either of you.  Burritto can sometimes be a bit sarcastic, but it's just his style. Besides, sitting at a keyboard, unless one is perfectly clear, you can't tell the typists emotions as they type.  Something sarcastic may actually had been meant as something funny.

You don't come across to me as a 'know it all' at all.  If I were a sadist, I suppose I could latch onto your comment and milk it for all it's worth, but I won't...LOL

The guy I can't figure is Moon.  I get this mental image of a very serious guy always studying his stats.  I try my best to visualize a big laugh coming from him, but I just can't!!  Funny, isn't it?  But, it's what I mean when I say the personality or intent behind the keyboard may be the opposite of reality.

Me?  What you see is what you get...take it or leave it..   Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I presented the Felix Doubront question to FanGraphs columnist Jeff Sullivan (another Oregonian) in today's chat:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jeff-sullivan-fangraphs-chat-51413/

9:48 [ Comment From patriot patriot: ]

Does Boston lefthander Felix Doubront's FIP of 2.83 and BABIP of .420 belie his 6.40 ERA in 32.1 innings this season?  

Tuesday May 14, 2013 9:48 patriot

9:50 Jeff Sullivan:

When a guy has a bad ERA and good peripherals, sometimes it's the guy's fault, but more often, things are bound to regress in a positive direction. Now, Doubront has a .331 BABIP for his career. But that career doesn't yet span 230 innings, so it also needs to be heavily regressed. The likelihood is that Doubront is okay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I hope we can have a "correction" in this next series and get our starters going--along with some guys who haven't been hitting much like Ells.  Who's playing third--is Middlebrooks still out?  I'm actually looking forward to the next several series to see how they're going to play with a little adversity going on, who steps up; if they don't play well then I agree with  someone here who said that might tell us which steps to take at the trade deadline.  Right now I think I'm worried more about the pen than anything else: we started strong, but we've got guys assuming new roles up and down the line.  I think I can think of four pitchers we've subtracted from the equation since ST: Morales, Aceves, Hanrahan, Bard, Bailey...any more injuries/head cases/etc. and that's a huge strain on our pen.

If Middlebrooks isn't playing, then I think we should bring up one of the kid 3rd basemen for a while...and if they aren't going to bring up Aceves in this midst of this need, then they've decided they just don't want him around which is fine, but then they better trade him for anything.  If he can't go up and try to present a pleasing "cameo" then both sides are taking it on the chin.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was at 95 at the beginning of the year and now he is strugglling to reach 92. He was at 95 last year. Maybe he can take a short break and get his arm strength back but if not I don't think he will be successful either but he was a different pitcher a few weeks ago. As Hill stated, his underlying data was stronger than he was being given credit for but that last start or 2 have been killers. Guys hitting .420 off him is off the charts bad. And it is probably not all bad luck.

I noted earlier that he sat at 91-92 for most of his minor league career. So what happened in the interim? Maybe a little more physical development and he gained strength. Maybe something else which is not there any more. Could be some sort of injury. We have had a lot of pitchers who pitched with injuries and lost arm strength. Schilling, and I remember one guy who pitched with 2 arm injuries but can't place his name right now. But, for whatever the reason it's not there.

The alternatives were not that strong either. Webster has had command problems and he got shelled recently also. De La rosa has never pitched much more than 50 innings in any one year so he is not going to be able to help us much probably, even though he does look like he is advancing nicely right now. Morales is a possibility but he is probably weeks away from giving us many innings but to me he is our best shot. Ranaudo is looking pretty good right now and could at some point jump from AA ball but it's not ideal. Barnes has a way to go also. The cavalry is coming but they are riding shetland ponies. Workman is a possibility but not ideal.

They may spoil Webster by bringing him up too early and expecting too much from him. We are pushing his development more than I would like.  He needs to work on his fastball command just like Buchholz had to coming up. He will have some additional bad days until he learns to control his emotions and repeat his delivery even in Fenway.

All that starting pitching depth is gone in a flash.

My guy Taz is now needed to close, and that may end up back-firing.

I think all our hope rests with the top 4 starters all coming together, staying healthy, and getting support when needed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

All that starting pitching depth is gone in a flash.

My guy Taz is now needed to close, and that may end up back-firing.

I think all our hope rests with the top 4 starters all coming together, staying healthy, and getting support when needed.

Morales should be back soon. He was pretty effective last year in his limited role as a starter. Bailey should be back in the mix soon. He was already throwing from 160 ft and will be in a simulated game soon and throwing off the mound today I believe. If Taz is going to close, he needs to get the mindset to "let it fly" for one inning if hes going to be effective.

Sections
Shortcuts