A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Kazmir pitches for the Indians tomorrow?  I thought he retired?!?  And Giambi plays for the Indians?   Didn't Giambi interview for the manager position with the Rockies during the offseason?   LOL

you realize that we beat all former Sox pitchers tonight? Masterson, Hill and Albers...

Where's that guy pining for Masterson?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kazmir is off to a rough start.

1.624 WHIP in 28 ip

6.35 ERA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1.624 WHIP in 28 ip

6.35 ERA

In May he's had 2 very good starts followed by 2 bad ones.  I wish the guy well after what he's been through, but not today of course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

1.624 WHIP in 28 ip

6.35 ERA

In May he's had 2 very good starts followed by 2 bad ones.  I wish the guy well after what he's been through, but not today of course.

The Rays seem to dump guys just in the nick of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Very true.  Shields is trying to be an exception this year.

Will Longoria be the first and maybe only 'career Ray'? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Could be, but I doubt it. He will make over $18M by 2021, but does have a $13M club option for 2023.

He is so cheap up until 2014 ($7.5M).

Matt Moore is also signed to 2019 (last 3 years are club options with small buyouts end ing at just $10M in 2019.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Could be, but I doubt it. He will make over $18M by 2021, but does have a $13M club option for 2023.

Matt Moore is also signed to 2019 (last 3 years are club options with small buyouts end ing at just $10M in 2019.

I see Longoria testing the market before re-signing with the Rays.  If that happens the Rays probably won't match other offers.  However, after all the FA busts recently teams may begin to stay away from huge long term deals and Longoria has been injured quite a bit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I see Longoria testing the market before re-signing with the Rays.  If that happens the Rays probably won't match other offers.  However, after all the FA busts recently teams may begin to stay away from huge long term deals and Longoria has been injured quite a bit.

I'd say if Longoria is not traded by the end of his current deal, we can safely call him a "career Ray".  He turns 28 this October and is under team control through 2023.  He'll turn 38 at the end of his last contract year (a $13M team option).

I can't imagine him not being traded before the 2021 and 2022 seasons where he makes over 18M.

Matching an offer at 38 is not a big concern.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's amazing how well the rays have done over the lat 5 years or so on the budget they have had. Great org from top to bottom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's amazing how well the rays have done over the lat 5 years or so on the budget they have had. Great org from top to bottom.

Do you know how long, if it hasn't happened already, when the Rays picks stop being top guys because of when they were cellar dwellars?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Do you know how long, if it hasn't happened already, when the Rays picks stop being top guys because of when they were cellar dwellars?

They have been contenders since about 2008 I believe. They can only go so far unless they can sign ttheir young studs to deals like Longo. Guys like Price will leave and they dont have the payroll to secure the really good talent out there. They have done a good job of bringing in players on low $ deals and working the system overall, but that luck will eventually run out IMO.

I still believe in todays baseball you have to spend more than 40-60 to go All the way with vet guys who have been there before. When you get to the playoffs, teams like the Rays and A's are usually exposed by teams like the Giants or someone else with the experience and payroll to get the players that put them over the top.

I see the rays as no more than a 3rd place team this year. Their pitching is just OK so far this year and they have little offense. If you dont get a legit bat to put with Longo, they will pitch around him all year long.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Rays are having a tough time this year but if Price was normal they would probably be right there with us and the Yanks. Let's face it. Price being less than 100% is hurting them bad. Last year's Cy Young winner. That hurt. 

They still have a lot of great young pitching which is controllable for years to come. And a decent farm. And a lot of their talent hasn't come from top picks. They have developed guys really well. Guys like Moore and Hellickson. Cobb. That's a lot of development right there. They have traded well with Archer probably ready to step in there soon. 

In most other markets they would be a bohemoth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and softy still calls the Marlins the small market model team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are 3 games away from the 1/3 mark of the season!

Nice to see 3 FT'er with an OBP of .400+.

OBP

Iggy    .500

Pedey .422

Nava   .408

Ortiz    .406

Carp  .352

Naps  .343

Vict    .343

Salty  .338

Gomes .330

Ellsb   .317

Ciriaco .314

Drew    .305

Ross     .291

Bradley .263

Middleb  .234

Lava      .222

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We are 3 games away from the 1/3 mark of the season!

Nice to see 3 FT'er with an OBP of .400+.

OBP

Iggy    .500

Pedey .422

Nava   .408

Ortiz    .406

Carp  .352

Naps  .343

Vict    .343

Salty  .338

Gomes .330

Ellsb   .317

Ciriaco .314

Drew    .305

Ross     .291

Bradley .263

Middleb  .234

Lava      .222

Im impressed with pedey nava and papi...Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

Salty has also looked a lot better at the plate this year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

.Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

His numbers look good, but I wouldn't say "he's looked good at the plate". Most of his hits are IF hits. I'm not sure he can or will sustain that.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Has Iggy REALLY "looked" good at theplate this year? 

I think he's looked extremely lucky.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

.Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

His numbers look good, but I wouldn't say "he's looked good at the plate". Most of his hits are IF hits. I'm not sure he can or will sustain that.

Iggy has a BABIP of .542 but he also has a ground ball rate of 68.2%

That means when he hits the ball two things are happening; he's hitting the ball on the ground much much more than everyone else and he's getting hits when he puts the ball in play much much more than anyone else.  His line drive percentage is 9% which is pretty bad.  He's getting on base by hitting ground balls, soft hits.  Iglesias is NOT putting a charge into the ball, he is making very weak contact and is not walking.  He is sporting a lofty 3% BB rate.

You can use the high average to defend Iglesias all night long but you can not say he LOOKS GOOD at the plate by any measure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree with Moon. 

I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see some hard line drives instead of seeing-eye grounders.

The same with ctredwox fan...nice information

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I agree with Moon. 

I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see some hard line drives instead of seeing-eye grounders.

The same with ctredwox fan...nice information

I'm not complaining either, but I'm not going to say a guy getting all these IF hits is "looking good at the plate".

This is not likely a sustainable trend. I love his bunting ability.

I wouldn't say I'm a "hater", since I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS for over 2 years now... just not because of his bat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

He will end up as a decent to good hitter for average (.260-.300). His minor league numbers are not that bad. He has tended to trend upward. He no longer looks hopeless at the pro level. He has excellent natural ability (hand eye coordination, bat speed, quickness). 

Sections
Shortcuts