A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

We now have the best record in the AL.

We play in a division with 4 of 5 teams over .500, and our last place team has a better winning percent than 3 other AL teams and is just a game behind 2 others. (That's just a game and a half behind being in the middle 5 of the AL.)

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Although our team still struggles vs lefthanded pitching, we are showing signs of being a more balanced team from top to bottom and away vs home.

Top to bottom:

1) .746

2) .774

3) .885

4) .994

5) .747

6) .760

7) .851

8) .707

9) .753

No slots below .707 and only 1 below .747.

In 2012, we had 5 slots  below .710 and 3 below .674.

In 2011, we had 2 slots below .696.

In 2010,  we had 2 slots below .687 and 3 below .705.

In 2009, we had 1 slot below .694.

In 2008, we had 3 slots below .697.

In 2007, we had 1 slot below .632 and 2 below .713.

Home: .818/ Away .789 (.029 differential

Home: 5.22 Runs per game/ Away: 5.28 runs per game

2012: .087 better OPS at home and a 1.39 more runs per gm at home.

2011: .059 better OPS at home and .56 more runs/gm at home

2010: .027 better OPS at home and 1.78 more runs/gm at home.

2009: .109 better OPS at home and .72 more runs/gm at home.

2008: .068 better OPS at home and .62 more runs/gm at home.

2007: .076 better OPS at home and .95 more runs/gm at home.

Now, if we can fix the lefty righty thing, we could really call ourselves the most balanced Sox team in many years.

Before today's game we had a .102 better OPS vs RHPs than LHPs. (.070 when a RHP starts vs a LHP)

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox OBP after today's game:

Iggy    .494

Pedey .416

Nava   .395

Ortiz   .394

Carp    .366

Ellsb    .348

Naps    .347

Salty    .341

Gomes .340

Vict      .338

Drew    .330

Ross     .303

Ciriaco .293

JBJ       .254

Midd     .234

Lava     .222

SLG%

Carp   .682

Ortiz   .637

Iggy   .581

Salty  .515

Nava  .472

Naps  .470

Pedey .462

Ross    .448

Drew   .409

Ells     .393

Lava   .375

Vict     .356

Ciri     .353

Gomes .342

JBJ       .269

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We've reached the 40% mark of the season and have the best record in the AL at 39-25. To finish with 90 wins, we'll have to go 51-47. We have a tough schedule ahead. 6 more road games than home, the always tough west coast trip, and some other tough series ahead.

So far, only the Cards have a better road winning percentage than us, but as I pointed out, we have some tough trips ahead.

Here are our road series ahead:

June:

TB 3

Bal 4

Det 4

July:

LAA 3

Sea 4

Oak 3 (10 game trip right before the allstar break)

Bal 3

August:

Hou 3

KC 4

Tor 3

SF 3

LAD 3

Sept:

NYY 4

TB 3

Col 2

Bal 3 (ending the season with 5 road games)

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4everSox hard hitters?

LD%:

Lava  43%

Salty  30

Naps  27

Nava  27

Drew 25

Pedey 22

Ciri    22

Vict   21

Midd  20

Ells    19

Gomes 18

Ross   18

Ortiz 17

Iggy  17

JBJ  17

Carp 14

Last 30 Days:

Lava  43

Salty 33

Naps  32

Ross 29

Nava  27

Pedey 24

Drew  24

Iggy  23

Gomes 19

JBJ  19

Ciri  18

Vict  17

Ortiz 15

Ells  15

Midd  14

Carp 11

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Great information, Moon.  Thank you..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trying to keep it real, amp. You're welcome.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

So far during this brutal 23-game schedule vs. top AL teams, the Red Sox are 6-3 by taking two out of three vs. the Yankees, Rangers an Angels.  

Next is Tampa and I am confident that the Red Sox will take two out of three.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ortiz is on fire, Drew is has been on fire, Ellsbury is on fire, Iglesias is on fire, Even Salty has looked much better at the plate this year.  His hit tool is much improved.

The pitching has been good.  I've been a little concerned with the high rate of walks from the pitching staff but so far the good has outweighed the bad in the pitching department.

If Middlebrooks comes back and starts to hit and Victorino can come back and stay healthy then I will much more confident in this offense.

The offense has been good stat wise but I've been worried about them vs. superior pitching...but I'm coming around. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Ortiz is on fire, Drew is has been on fire, Ellsbury is on fire, Iglesias is on fire, Even Salty has looked much better at the plate this year.  His hit tool is much improved.

The pitching has been good.  I've been a little concerned with the high rate of walks from the pitching staff but so far the good has outweighed the bad in the pitching department.

If Middlebrooks comes back and starts to hit and Victorino can come back and stay healthy then I will much more confident in this offense.

The offense has been good stat wise but I've been worried about them vs. superior pitching...but I'm coming around. 

Most guys will get shut down most times with great pitchers. Im a lot more forgiving with that, As long as they hit the ones they should. THATS what kills me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Most guys will get shut down most times with great pitchers. Im a lot more forgiving with that, As long as they hit the ones they should. THATS what kills me.

[/QUOTE]

This is true, but they looked particularly lost against some tough teams at times this year (which I think they have completely turned around by the way).  That was what I was eluding too.  I had the first Texas series in mind.  Of course one series means very little, but you are going to have to have a balanced offense going into the postseason. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is true, but they looked particularly lost against some tough teams at times this year (which I think they have completely turned around by the way).  That was what I was eluding too.  I had the first Texas series in mind.  Of course one series means very little, but you are going to have to have a balanced offense going into the postseason. 

[/QUOTE]

They did look lost against Texas. That was the start of their 1st slump I believe. I understand what you saying.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They did look lost against Texas. That was the start of their 1st slump I believe. I understand what you saying.

[/QUOTE]

Which has made their recent success all the more comforting.  After this teams performance the last few years it has become easy to grow weary when they start playing bad.  But the fact that this team has been able to recover from loses and slumps and go on a good streak again has been very encouraging.

The season is still relatively young, however it's not that young.....and we are still in first.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

So far during this brutal 23-game schedule vs. top AL teams, the Red Sox are 6-3 by taking two out of three vs. the Yankees, Rangers an Angels.  

Next is Tampa and I am confident that the Red Sox will take two out of three.  

TB is tough. However, we will miss Moore & Hellickson this time around and will face Cobb, Hernandez and Archer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty now has the 4th best catcher OPS in MLB at .872 (catchers over 180 PAs).

No team has a higher team catching OPS than .868 (ATL)

Here's a run down of team OPS by position:

C: Sox 5th at .833

1B: 10th at .817

2B: 1st at .873

3B: 11th at .742

SS: 4th at .798

LF: 5th at .813

CF: 16th at .704

RF: 7th at .803

DH: 1st at 1.000

DH, 2B and Catcher 1-2-3.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Interesting facts   Laughing

• Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera have driven in three or more runs nine times this season.  
    • Iglesias is batting .446 in 74 at-bats
    • The Red Sox enter tonight with 40 wins through 65 games.  Its the quickest to 40 wins since 2007 (done in only 61 games)
    • Lester is 5-1 with a 3.38 ERA in eight career starts at Tropicana Field
    • The new chicken sandwich from Dunkin Donuts has 670 calories    LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera have driven in three or more runs nine times this season.  
    • The Red Sox enter tonight with 40 wins through 65 games.  Its the quickest to 40 wins since 2007 (done in only 61 games)

How about his?

Nava leads the majors in RBI after the 7tth inning.

Not bad for a "back-up".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Good one....LOL

I'm still waiting fo that good bulgogi recipe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nava leads the majors in RBI after the 7tth inning

Incredible!!!!

He got the clutch go-ahead hit last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good one....LOL

I'm still waiting fo that good bulgogi recipe.

[/QUOTE]

Hello ampoule   Laughing

I am sorry but I do not know a good bulgogi recipe (I am a bad cook LOL).  But if you are in the White Plains, NY area, let me know.  My girlfriend can prepare it for us!!!   Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

How about his?

Nava leads the majors in RBI after the 7tth inning.

Not bad for a "back-up".

[/QUOTE]

LA Angels:  "Damn, and we are stuck with Hamilton for another four years."   

LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hard to be "realistic" right now because the Sox are doing a whole lot better than anyone expected, and some of that has to do with team chemistry, which before this season I would have said is baloney.  Last night after Bailey gave up those two runs in the bottom of the 10th, blowing a two-run lead, the players in the dugout were all pumped up because the GIDP by Longoria and the drag bunt by Fuld (?) resulted in three quick outs and a tie game.  And finally they scored 2 in the 14th and Morales, they guy who was awful last time out, threw his second shutout inning for the win. 

Does this team have weaknesses?  Absolutely.  But they have enough strengths--not just chemisty, but some real talent--to compensate and still win games.  Ortiz, who has more rbi's than games played, couldn't hit spit last night, but the Sox still knocked in 12 big ones.  Napoli, second on the team in rbi's, didn't even play.  Iglesias, who is only hitting around .450 with an OPS over 1.000 and has fielded brilliantly without an error, also didn't play. 

I think all the threads and arguments about Iglesias vs.Drew or Bradley vs. Ellsbury or Gomes vs. Carp miss the basic fact most everyone is contributing--some more than others, granted.  And they are pulling for each other.  Iglesias may want to play every day, but must recognize that Ciriaco's departure means he is in Boston to stay and the heir apparent to the SS position, maybe even this year.  A complete turnaround from last season.  The only thing he doesn't like is playing in Pawtucket, and that appears to be over. 

Funny that softlaw hasn't chimed in because he has repeated almost as a mantra that the Sox cannot win without good hitting.  Well right now they have the best record in the AL and have scored the most runs in MLB.  Can some pitchers still shut the Sox down?  Absolutely, but that's true of almost any lineup.  Carl Hubbell once struck out a murderer's row--Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Al Simmons, Joe Cronin, all Hall of Famers--consecutively in the 1934 All-Star game.  So softlaw's argument that good lineups can't be shut down is just baloney. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hard to be "realistic" right now because the Sox are doing a whole lot better than anyone expected, and some of that has to do with team chemistry, which before this season I would have said is baloney.  Last night after Bailey gave up those two runs in the bottom of the 10th, blowing a two-run lead, the players in the dugout were all pumped up because the GIDP by Longoria and the drag bunt by Fuld (?) resulted in three quick outs and a tie game.  And finally they scored 2 in the 14th and Morales, they guy who was awful last time out, threw his second shutout inning for the win. 

Does this team have weaknesses?  Absolutely.  But they have enough strengths--not just chemisty, but some real talent--to compensate and still win games.  Ortiz, who has more rbi's than games played, couldn't hit spit last night, but the Sox still knocked in 12 big ones.  Napoli, second on the team in rbi's, didn't even play.  Iglesias, who is only hitting around .450 with an OPS over 1.000 and has fielded brilliantly without an error, also didn't play. 

It was nice to see 6 slots get on base 3 + times last night. This team is really showing balance.

I think all the threads and arguments about Iglesias vs.Drew or Bradley vs. Ellsbury or Gomes vs. Carp miss the basic fact most everyone is contributing--some more than others, granted.  And they are pulling for each other.  Iglesias may want to play every day, but must recognize that Ciriaco's departure means he is in Boston to stay and the heir apparent to the SS position, maybe even this year.  A complete turnaround from last season.  The only thing he doesn't like is playing in Pawtucket, and that appears to be over. 

Iggy's confidence should not be an issue with or without Pedro's release, but it is nice to know he should be playing some games... or will he?

Funny that softlaw hasn't chimed in because he has repeated almost as a mantra that the Sox cannot win without good hitting.  Well right now they have the best record in the AL and have scored the most runs in MLB.  Can some pitchers still shut the Sox down?  Absolutely, but that's true of almost any lineup.  Carl Hubbell once struck out a murderer's row--Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Al Simmons, Joe Cronin, all Hall of Famers--consecutively in the 1934 All-Star game.  So softlaw's argument that good lineups can't be shut down is just baloney. 

Of course good line-ups can and often are shut down by good pitching. Only the village clown thinks pitching is secondary.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

After his hateful rant on a couple threads the last 2 days, he has had about 6 different aliases banned over the last 48 HRS. I gues you could say he in a "slump"Tongue Out