A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

So far during this brutal 23-game schedule vs. top AL teams, the Red Sox are 6-3 by taking two out of three vs. the Yankees, Rangers an Angels.  

Next is Tampa and I am confident that the Red Sox will take two out of three.  

TB is tough. However, we will miss Moore & Hellickson this time around and will face Cobb, Hernandez and Archer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty now has the 4th best catcher OPS in MLB at .872 (catchers over 180 PAs).

No team has a higher team catching OPS than .868 (ATL)

Here's a run down of team OPS by position:

C: Sox 5th at .833

1B: 10th at .817

2B: 1st at .873

3B: 11th at .742

SS: 4th at .798

LF: 5th at .813

CF: 16th at .704

RF: 7th at .803

DH: 1st at 1.000

DH, 2B and Catcher 1-2-3.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Interesting facts   Laughing

• Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera have driven in three or more runs nine times this season.  
    • Iglesias is batting .446 in 74 at-bats
    • The Red Sox enter tonight with 40 wins through 65 games.  Its the quickest to 40 wins since 2007 (done in only 61 games)
    • Lester is 5-1 with a 3.38 ERA in eight career starts at Tropicana Field
    • The new chicken sandwich from Dunkin Donuts has 670 calories    LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera have driven in three or more runs nine times this season.  
    • The Red Sox enter tonight with 40 wins through 65 games.  Its the quickest to 40 wins since 2007 (done in only 61 games)

How about his?

Nava leads the majors in RBI after the 7tth inning.

Not bad for a "back-up".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Good one....LOL

I'm still waiting fo that good bulgogi recipe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nava leads the majors in RBI after the 7tth inning

Incredible!!!!

He got the clutch go-ahead hit last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good one....LOL

I'm still waiting fo that good bulgogi recipe.

[/QUOTE]

Hello ampoule   Laughing

I am sorry but I do not know a good bulgogi recipe (I am a bad cook LOL).  But if you are in the White Plains, NY area, let me know.  My girlfriend can prepare it for us!!!   Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

How about his?

Not bad for a "back-up".

[/QUOTE]

LA Angels:  "Damn, and we are stuck with Hamilton for another four years."   

LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hard to be "realistic" right now because the Sox are doing a whole lot better than anyone expected, and some of that has to do with team chemistry, which before this season I would have said is baloney.  Last night after Bailey gave up those two runs in the bottom of the 10th, blowing a two-run lead, the players in the dugout were all pumped up because the GIDP by Longoria and the drag bunt by Fuld (?) resulted in three quick outs and a tie game.  And finally they scored 2 in the 14th and Morales, they guy who was awful last time out, threw his second shutout inning for the win. 

Does this team have weaknesses?  Absolutely.  But they have enough strengths--not just chemisty, but some real talent--to compensate and still win games.  Ortiz, who has more rbi's than games played, couldn't hit spit last night, but the Sox still knocked in 12 big ones.  Napoli, second on the team in rbi's, didn't even play.  Iglesias, who is only hitting around .450 with an OPS over 1.000 and has fielded brilliantly without an error, also didn't play. 

I think all the threads and arguments about Iglesias vs.Drew or Bradley vs. Ellsbury or Gomes vs. Carp miss the basic fact most everyone is contributing--some more than others, granted.  And they are pulling for each other.  Iglesias may want to play every day, but must recognize that Ciriaco's departure means he is in Boston to stay and the heir apparent to the SS position, maybe even this year.  A complete turnaround from last season.  The only thing he doesn't like is playing in Pawtucket, and that appears to be over. 

Funny that softlaw hasn't chimed in because he has repeated almost as a mantra that the Sox cannot win without good hitting.  Well right now they have the best record in the AL and have scored the most runs in MLB.  Can some pitchers still shut the Sox down?  Absolutely, but that's true of almost any lineup.  Carl Hubbell once struck out a murderer's row--Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Al Simmons, Joe Cronin, all Hall of Famers--consecutively in the 1934 All-Star game.  So softlaw's argument that good lineups can't be shut down is just baloney. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hard to be "realistic" right now because the Sox are doing a whole lot better than anyone expected, and some of that has to do with team chemistry, which before this season I would have said is baloney.  Last night after Bailey gave up those two runs in the bottom of the 10th, blowing a two-run lead, the players in the dugout were all pumped up because the GIDP by Longoria and the drag bunt by Fuld (?) resulted in three quick outs and a tie game.  And finally they scored 2 in the 14th and Morales, they guy who was awful last time out, threw his second shutout inning for the win. 

Does this team have weaknesses?  Absolutely.  But they have enough strengths--not just chemisty, but some real talent--to compensate and still win games.  Ortiz, who has more rbi's than games played, couldn't hit spit last night, but the Sox still knocked in 12 big ones.  Napoli, second on the team in rbi's, didn't even play.  Iglesias, who is only hitting around .450 with an OPS over 1.000 and has fielded brilliantly without an error, also didn't play. 

It was nice to see 6 slots get on base 3 + times last night. This team is really showing balance.

I think all the threads and arguments about Iglesias vs.Drew or Bradley vs. Ellsbury or Gomes vs. Carp miss the basic fact most everyone is contributing--some more than others, granted.  And they are pulling for each other.  Iglesias may want to play every day, but must recognize that Ciriaco's departure means he is in Boston to stay and the heir apparent to the SS position, maybe even this year.  A complete turnaround from last season.  The only thing he doesn't like is playing in Pawtucket, and that appears to be over. 

Iggy's confidence should not be an issue with or without Pedro's release, but it is nice to know he should be playing some games... or will he?

Funny that softlaw hasn't chimed in because he has repeated almost as a mantra that the Sox cannot win without good hitting.  Well right now they have the best record in the AL and have scored the most runs in MLB.  Can some pitchers still shut the Sox down?  Absolutely, but that's true of almost any lineup.  Carl Hubbell once struck out a murderer's row--Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Al Simmons, Joe Cronin, all Hall of Famers--consecutively in the 1934 All-Star game.  So softlaw's argument that good lineups can't be shut down is just baloney. 

Of course good line-ups can and often are shut down by good pitching. Only the village clown thinks pitching is secondary.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

After his hateful rant on a couple threads the last 2 days, he has had about 6 different aliases banned over the last 48 HRS. I gues you could say he in a "slump"Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How about his?

Not bad for a "back-up".

[/QUOTE]

LA Angels:  "Damn, and we are stuck with Hamilton for another four years."   

LOL

[/QUOTE]

The only big named FA this past winter worth a look was A Sanchez. I'm glad we didn't go near the big 2: Greinke & Hamilton. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After his hateful rant on a couple threads the last 2 days, he has had about 6 different aliases banned over the last 48 HRS. I gues you could say he in a "slump"Tongue Out

It must be so frustrating to not only be wrong all of the time- and I mean ALLLLlll of the time, but to be so far off on every single position known to mankind has got  to be debilitating.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves vs Archer tonight. Could be a high scoring game.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I still think they're shopping Aceves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

As much as I am NOT a fan of Aceves, he is somewhat essential to this team as he fiils the role of sixth starter and he has options left that gives the team huge roster flexibility. I don't think he has a future here beyond this season, and maybe even beyond us obtaining someone else, but Farrell and Ben are using him brilliantly right now. And as long as he delivers like he did in his last start, his value is off the charts.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

[QUOTE]

I still think they're shopping Aceves.

Yep 

[/QUOTE]

I second that, or third that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So much for the high scoring game!

With the way Lester is pitching, and a few weeks to go before the deadline, I'm not sure we want to be trading away Aceves until a few questions are answered or at least we know a bit more about a few of our starters.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Rather than being traded, Aceves might end up as part of the starting 5.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

So much for the high scoring game!

With the way Lester is pitching, and a few weeks to go before the deadline, I'm not sure we want to be trading away Aceves until a few questions are answered or at least we know a bit more about a few of our starters.

Sox4ever

Have to be really concerned w/ what we've seen from Lester the past mos. Seems if he's not getting pitches on the corners early in the game, he gets frustrated, once frustrated he loses it completely. Seems to be more mental, than physical, his stuff while not ace like anymore still good enough to be a good 2-3 guy. If he doesn't turn it around shortly may need a DL stay to clear the mind more than anything. Lets hope Webster or pssibly even Raunado are ready for some prime time work after the all star break, they may be needed! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

During the last 19 games, the Red Sox are 13-6 with a .303 BA, 24 homers, and averaging 6.3 runs per game.  

The Red Sox bullpen has 12 saves so far this season.  The Dodgers, Cubs and D-Backs have 13 "blown" saves so far this season.   LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The performance by Aceves last night is a prime example why recent small sample sizes are not good indicators of what to expect going forward.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have to be really concerned w/ what we've seen from Lester the past mos. Seems if he's not getting pitches on the corners early in the game, he gets frustrated, once frustrated he loses it completely. Seems to be more mental, than physical, his stuff while not ace like anymore still good enough to be a good 2-3 guy. If he doesn't turn it around shortly may need a DL stay to clear the mind more than anything. Lets hope Webster or pssibly even Raunado are ready for some prime time work after the all star break, they may be needed! -garyhow

I do think part of Lester's problems seem mental, but he has also lost velocity over the last couple of years. Injury-related? Perhaps.

He was regularly over 95 mph before 2011.

In 2011, he reached 95 or more in 15 starts and hit 94 or more in 22 times in 31 GS'd.

In 2012, he touched 95 only 5 times and 94 or more 15 times in 33 GS'd.

In 2013, he has touched 95 only 1 time in 14 starts and 94+ in just 7 of 14 starts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P&pitch=FA

Sox4ever 

Sections
Shortcuts