A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Don't ever count the Yanks out. They have Grandy and Jete returning and will likely make a deal or two if they are still in at the end of the month.

I'd be happy if we just make a couple minor deals to clear up the rule 5 and winter roster issues. Maybe a 3 for 1 deal and a 2 for 1 deal somewhere. 

I could see an acquisition of a salary dump type player that would lessen the need for parting with good prospects.

Sox4ever

Agreed Moon. First of all, never believe them when they say they are trying to be frugal; not sure they know how to be frugal. They are getting weapons back and will make moves to improve; they always do.

As for the Sox, I think they will be active as well but I don't think Ben will vary far from the plan, i.e., building for the long term. I think he'll make moves to shore up immediate problems like bullpen depth and even starter depth if Buch doesn't come around soon, but will not give away the farm to get it done. He would be well served dealing with teams in longer term rrebuilding mode so he can deal younger prospects who may still be three years away from Fenway but could be only a year away from Wrigley or Houston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Don't ever count the Yanks out. They have Grandy and Jete returning and will likely make a deal or two if they are still in at the end of the month.

I'd be happy if we just make a couple minor deals to clear up the rule 5 and winter roster issues. Maybe a 3 for 1 deal and a 2 for 1 deal somewhere. 

I could see an acquisition of a salary dump type player that would lessen the need for parting with good prospects.

Sox4ever

Agreed Moon. First of all, never believe them when they say they are trying to be frugal; not sure they know how to be frugal. They are getting weapons back and will make moves to improve; they always do.

As for the Sox, I think they will be active as well but I don't think Ben will vary far from the plan, i.e., building for the long term. I think he'll make moves to shore up immediate problems like bullpen depth and even starter depth if Buch doesn't come around soon, but will not give away the farm to get it done. He would be well served dealing with teams in longer term rrebuilding mode so he can deal younger prospects who may still be three years away from Fenway but could be only a year away from Wrigley or Houston.

The player we get need not be a salary dump, although that would lessen the return value of prospects, but it could be a player that will become a FA after 2014, or who may be due a large arbitration soon.

I doubt anything very serious happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see Lester settle down and pitch a good game. let's hope he can string a few together.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Yanks have effectively lost Texiera and Arod. Jeter cant be expected to come back strong at his age. The starting pitching is not what it was. They can go out and get anything short of Cliff Lee and it still will not matter much. They are not making the playoffs this yer with all the talent accumulated in the AL east this year. In particular Boston and Baltimore. I don't think it's likely. If anything they have been overachieving so far.

Just my opinion.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Look at the numbers Cechinni is putting up so far this year. A .473 OBP for the year? Wow.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=t414&t=p_pbp&pid=594555 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

The Yanks have effectively lost Texiera and Arod. Jeter cant be expected to come back strong at his age. The starting pitching is not what it was. They can go out and get anything short of Cliff Lee and it still will not matter much. They are not making the playoffs this yer with all the talent accumulated in the AL east this year. In particular Boston and Baltimore. I don't think it's likely. If anything they have been overachieving so far.

Just my opinion.  

Don't you think adding Granderson will make a difference?

You all know my views on SS fielding and Jeter, but right now the Yankee SSs have a combined .543 OPS. I don't care how much Jete is in decline, but he should do at least 150 points better than that. 

The Yankees' offense is what has kept them from being closer to the Sox than they are already. Grandy and Jete can make a big difference. They may not catch the Sox, but they are just 1.5 GB the last wild card slot held by the O's.

Do not count out the Yanks. Last I checked:

Grandy is due back soon.

Jeter is due back after the AS break.

Kuroda is due back in a week or so.

ARod after the break.

Nunez soon.

Pineda end of July.

Cervelli in August.

Youkilis early Sept.

They don't need to make a trade to get better: they just need some luck with injuries and recoveries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If only we had rested Papi once every week as softy begged Ben to do, we'd be 10 up by now.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

If only we had rested Papi once every week as softy begged Ben to do, we'd be 10 up by now.

Sox4ever

I liked the way he was rested last night; it makes perfect sense against certain southpaws and leaves you with a pretty good pinch-hitter if needed. (Wilson deserved a much better fate.) But the highlights of last night's game are 1) the continued development and maturation of one Felix Doubront, now a reliable end of the rotation starter and 2) the absolutely terrible baseball being played by a Soscia team that should be much better. Not just physical errors, but mental and managerial errors as well!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And just like that, the Yanks have passed the O's in the standings.

If the season ended now, the Yanks are the second wild card!

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

And just like that, the Yanks have passed the O's in the standings.

If the season ended now, the Yanks are the second wild card!

Sox4ever

It's never smart to count the Yanks out....even with all of their injuries they have still found a way to compete. It makes you wonder what they put in the water at yankee stadium.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Call me a dummy then because I don't think the Yanks are as strong a team as the Redsox, Rays, Orioles or Toronto. They have been winning with smoke and mirrors all year. It's about time Babylon came crashing to the ground. They have made it this far mainly on pitching. When a staff is worked hard things can happen. And if anything, I think Arod will end up a liability.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Never say never when it comes to the NYY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Yankees always have to be considered the team to beat. To underestimate them is foolhardy. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The cockroaches are always there,  and that's how I feel about the Yankees. Always lurking under rocks, and in the shadows.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not superstitious, but it seems like everytime some poster counts the Yankess out, they go on a tear.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Call me a dummy then because I don't think the Yanks are as strong a team as the Redsox, Rays, Orioles or Toronto. They have been winning with smoke and mirrors all year. It's about time Babylon came crashing to the ground. They have made it this far mainly on pitching. When a staff is worked hard things can happen. And if anything, I think Arod will end up a liability.

They get Grandy and Jete back soon. Then, it won't be smoke and mirrors.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This just in:  Miller to the DL.  Aceves on the way. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yankees win with smoke, mirrors and Mariano.  It is a nice feeling to enter the ninth with a lead and have confidence that you will hold it. It means a lot, and it is a feeling that we have not had in a while. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Yankees win with smoke, mirrors and Mariano.  It is a nice feeling to enter the ninth with a lead and have confidence that you will hold it. It means a lot, and it is a feeling that we have not had in a while. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think I just put the hex on Rivera. He just blew a save against the O's.  I will have to keep that for future use. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know this is probably best saved for the "A Realictic View at 2014: part I", but with the deadline approaching, it may effect what we do this summer...

The Sox will surely lose a quality player or two to rule 5, unless we get proactive and make some 2 and 3 for 1 deals soon. It's not easy to make those type of trades in winter, since, as hill pointed out, every team is facing a roster crunch at that time.

(I added the BOLD for those players of most importance. Red is a must keeper.)

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair,Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini,Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

I see it this way: The players not in red could be packages to get a better prospect or prospects not in need of being protected from rule 5, or a useful 2 month rental.

Here's how our roster shapes up next year, assuming no re-signings, FA signings, or trades (assume Lester is back at $13M option):

25 man:

12 pitchers: Buch, Lest, Lack, Demp, Doub, Ace, Mora, Bail, Ueh, Taz, Miller, Bres, Wils

13 position: Lava, Ross, Papi, Midd, Ped, Iggy, Bog, Nava, JBJ, SV, Gomes,Carp, Holt

The other 15:

1- 8: Bogaerts, Webster, de la Rosa, Cecchini, Ranaudo,  Vazquez, Brentz, Workman

9 de la Torre

10 Britton

11 Beato

12 Snyder

13 Diaz (?)

14 Hassan (?)

15 Wright (?)

16 Kalish (?)

17 Bard (?)

18 Butler (?)

19- 24: Almanzar, Hazelbaker, de la Cruz, Jacobs, Vinicio, Capenter

and others

Now, we almost certainly will add a Catcher, OF'er and corner IF'er, plus maybe a pitcher or two. Let's say we sign 5 including Lester or 4 with Lester.

That means everyone listed under Beato is open to rule 5. My guess is we make some 2 or 3 for one deals this deadline in order to avoid losing quality depth. It might mean we trade some guys above the Beato line to make room for some below while strengthening other areas on the 25 man roster or on the farm.

We could also trade some players above the line to make room for players below the line.

Some players that may be moved this winter: Lester (refuse option or trade), Bailey, Morales, Miller, Wilson, Ross (depends on salty's return), Lava, Aceves, Holt, Gomes, Brentz, de la Torre, or Beato

Sox4ever

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

July 7, 2013 the day Iggy fell below .400

and the decent back to reality has officially begun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His failure to cover 3B with the shift on was not good, but this kid has proven he is a great ML fielder and better at the plate than he has ever looked in his career.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What will Iggy's contract be worth next year?

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4265855. Show user_4265855's posts

Hi guys, been in Maine about a month.  Moon, you coming around the 23rd?  Think I have your Dad's number...Sat's game killed me, thought it was first time Farrell didn't use good judgement to save the game.  Thought Bailey should have pitched last, not first of closers.  The kid looked nervous and not used to closing.  Hate to lose games with a four run lead.  Though Snyder has played well, I thought he freaked on the error too.  Amazed at how Lackey and the 3,4,5 guys and Aceves have filled in in Buch's absence and how the team has hit lately.  I'm just afraid the bullpen reductions and overwork might catch up with us...Hope to see some of you in Maine...Critter

Sections
Shortcuts