A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Realistic is a 3-7 road trip. Realistic is a bullpen that absolutely stinks. Realistic is Napoli stinking for months. Realistic is Ellsbreaky as the original Man of Glass. Realistic is Alex Wilson is an AAA pitcher for life. Realistic is bullpen help or no playoffs.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

I don't disagree with anything here, but I think you sometimes fail to notice that other teams have serious issues as well. Just because we have some big issues and slumping or injured players does not mean we are alone.

Here's a look at other AL contenders' woes:

Detroit: Nobody can beat the Fielder- Cabrera combo, but Detroit also has some mega weak links in their line-up: C- Avila (.583 OPS), LF- Dirks (.667), and nobody on their bench over .716 with 90+ PAs. The 5 through 9 slots have these seasonal OPS: 5- .659, 6- .732, 7- .739, 8- .676, and 9 .721.

In Contrast, the Sox have no slot below .711:

1) .782

2) .756

3) .828

4) .974

5) .720

6) .803

7) .838

8) .711

9) .734

Oakland: 3 guys below .688 (Norris, Soqard, & Reddick), and their line-up full of holes: 1- .801, 2- .664, 3- .697, 4- .747, 5- .839, 6- .807, 7- .789, 8- .644, 9- .578. Imagine having our 3 hitter with a .697 OPS; this board would be insane with bashing.

Texas: A SS with a .585 OPs, a LF'er with a .669 OPS and 2 other guys below .740. The top 3 bench guys under .680. Their line-up has 3 pretty big holes: 1- .738, 2- .588, 3- .758, 4- .883, 5- .776, 6- 701, 7- 808, 8- .670, 9- .757. A 3 hitter at .758. Are you kidding me? Geo would be going ballistic on that.

I won't even touch the Yankee line-up where black holes are swallowing each other up.

Let's have some perspective here. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I really think they need to start thinking about calling up a RDLR and Workman potentially as relievers. They have gotten enough innings already to be almost maxed out as starters. We have Webster, Aceves and Ranaudo as starter depth. I have no problem bundling some of the secondary prospects and maybe an Aceves for a decent left handed reliever ( which is a lot to offer up by the way so we should be able to get someone good for that package ).

Putting Aceves back in the pen is not crazy. Overall, except for the rule 5 issue, I don't want to trade any prospects but we definitely should keep our ears open. We can't bring up everyone and lots of these guys will never make it. I do like our chances though. I think RDLR might well be a moose if we bring him up in the next week or so. He could really help. We might just as well look at Workman as a reliever for the rest of this year at least. He's probably better than some of the guys we have now and he can give us some innings. He is a Clydesdale.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'd strongly consider bringing up JBJ also. The OF needs a better defense with these expansive outfields coming up. I know they want to keep from putting Victorino back on the DL but are we going to do this all year?

Let's be honest here. Isn't he damaged goods at this point? Some of the plays he makes look like he is trying to look like he is injuring himself by running into walls and such. I think his back is killing him. Look how he runs. His back is a problem and I bet it's been a problem for over a year. He just doesn't want anyone to know how bad it is yet so he comes up with all these anciliary injuries and trying to make it look like he is hurting himself by running into walls and such. A few weeks ago he milked one bigtime.

I like the guy but it does remind me of Drew. When guys have back injuries it is a miracle they can play well at all. It makes it so much more difficult. I'd roll with JBJ at this point. We are trying to win here. We have just as much control now over the JBJ contract situation if he plays or if he doesn't. Bring him up.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'd strongly consider bringing up JBJ also. The OF needs a better defense with these expansive outfields coming up. I know they want to keep from putting Victorino back on the DL but are we going to do this all year?

Let's be honest here. Isn't he damaged goods at this point? Some of the plays he makes look like he is trying to look like he is injuring himself by running into walls and such. I think his back is killing him. Look how he runs. His back is a problem and I bet it's been a problem for over a year. He just doesn't want anyone to know how bad it is yet so he comes up with all these anciliary injuries and trying to make it look like he is hurting himself by running into walls and such. A few weeks ago he milked one bigtime.

I like the guy but it does remind me of Drew. When guys have back injuries it is a miracle they can play well at all. It makes it so much more difficult. I'd roll with JBJ at this point. We are trying to win here. We have just as much control now over the JBJ contract situation if he plays or if he doesn't. Bring him up.

To think we signed SV for 3 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

OK, so they bring up Aceves, Bradley and Workman. Let's see what happens. I have a feeling we may see Workman today.

It helps to see what we have before the trading deadline. I'm not sure we are going to see Webster again for a while. He just has a way of tossing up meatballs. I'm not seeing him successful until he gets better control of his fastball. He's got to keep it lower.

Ranaudo might get a start or 2 before long, or RDLR. That will be fun to watch. Mentally I bet both are more ready than Webster at this point. Hopefully Buchholz comes back soon.

Let's see where Webster is next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OK, so they bring up Aceves, Bradley and Workman. Let's see what happens. I have a feeling we may see Workman today.

It helps to see what we have before the trading deadline. I'm not sure we are going to see Webster again for a while. He just has a way of tossing up meatballs. I'm not seeing him successful until he gets better control of his fastball. He's got to keep it lower.

Ranaudo might get a start or 2 before long, or RDLR. That will be fun to watch. Mentally I bet both are more ready than Webster at this point. Hopefully Buchholz comes back soon.

Let's see where Webster is next year.

Only in an emergency will we see workman tonight. He threw 107 pitches friday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And, how many posters said last winter we don't need a starting pitcher?

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

You always need depth guys. We had a starting 5 already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sox4ever

I can't believe anybody said that after Buch led the staff with a 4.56 ERA last year.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I can't believe anybody said that after Buch led the staff with a 4.56 ERA last year.

[/QUOTE]

Many felt Dempster was all we needed.

Just a few weeks ago, some were touting our solid rotation and great SP depth.

Now, we are scratching our heads and mentioning names like Workman, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, and Balcolm-Miller.

It's a tired old baseball saying, but "you can never have too much pitching".

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to JohnBoy1933's comment:

Four hits for Ortiz tonight as a pinch hitter. Ties a record. 

LOL Pike.  Four hits in the same game by a pinch hitter.  Very funny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Call me a dummy then because I don't think the Yanks are as strong a team as the Redsox, Rays, Orioles or Toronto. They have been winning with smoke and mirrors all year. It's about time Babylon came crashing to the ground. They have made it this far mainly on pitching. When a staff is worked hard things can happen. And if anything, I think Arod will end up a liability.

They get Grandy and Jete back soon. Then, it won't be smoke and mirrors.

[/QUOTE]

Jeter will be back soon.

But, Granderson is nowhere near ready.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/granderson-still-a-few-weeks-at-least-from-return/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Call me a dummy then because I don't think the Yanks are as strong a team as the Redsox, Rays, Orioles or Toronto. They have been winning with smoke and mirrors all year. It's about time Babylon came crashing to the ground. They have made it this far mainly on pitching. When a staff is worked hard things can happen. And if anything, I think Arod will end up a liability.

[/QUOTE]

Jeter will be back soon.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/granderson-still-a-few-weeks-at-least-from-return/

[/QUOTE]

I heard late July/early August. Enough time to make a difference.

They also get Cervelli and maybe Youk back in August.

Jeter after the break.

ARod? Who cares?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jeter will be back soon.

[/QUOTE]

Jeter after the break.

ARod? Who cares?

[/QUOTE]

Granderson just picked up a bat 6 days ago.

If he's back before August 1st, three weeks from now, I'll be amazed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jeter after the break.

ARod? Who cares?

OK, but even if he's back by August 15th, he can make a difference.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We will see regarding the Yanks. So far they are 6 games back of the Sox and the sox haven't been setting the world on fire lately. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Webster looks like he needs a vacation. I don't think we will see him again for a while. Let's hope Workman can help us some, and RDLR when he comes up.

Pedroia on Iglesias: "There is no way, in life, that you have hand-eye coordination like that and you can't hit. That's impossible. You just need to use it."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Jeter after the break.

ARod? Who cares?

OK, but even if he's back by August 15th, he can make a difference.

Sox4ever

With any luck, the Yankees will be 10 back, by then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

We are running out of bandaids for pitching.  Farrell said Aceves left game so soon last night not due to injury, but to strategy for next inning.  Yet, clearly, Aceves left the game wincing with pain in left arm..... supposed to be fine and due to pitch again in 2 days....  Hopefully he is, and all is well, but that is yet to be seen.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

We are running out of bandaids for pitching.  Farrell said Aceves left game so soon last night not due to injury, but to strategy for next inning.  Yet, clearly, Aceves left the game wincing with pain in left arm..... supposed to be fine and due to pitch again in 2 days....  Hopefully he is, and all is well, but that is yet to be seen.  

I thought they said he tweaked his side. Havent heard def what it was. We do have a few more internal options for the pen. But yeah, they're dropping like fies out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There hasn't been much talk about the Rays. 

If Price and Hellickson pitch like they did last year, watch out!

Their offense has been surprisingly good and are just 4 runs away from 4th place in MLB in runs scored (3rd in AL).

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Rays do look like contenders. Look at the Yanks run differential though. 358 runs scored. 357 runs allowed. They are lucky to still be in this at all.

I still like Baltimore as #2. They have a ton of hitting and Feldman should help them some. They probably are not done either in terms of trades. If Bundy had not gotten hurt he would be their #2 by now. That really cost them.