A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to jidgef's comment:

Taking on salaries like Young's or Ramirez' should help our trade partners enough that high-end prospects should not be involved. But either could come as part of a package involving either Garza or Lee, which would then involve prospects. But if the deals are not expanded to include a starter along with a third-baseman, then I believe Ben holds the line on any top prospect. Only prospects that we would be exposed to losing in the rule 5 draft should be offered in deals. If our farm system is as strong as we are led to believe then the solutions to fill our holes are probably in our system, at least better solutions than most, without costing us any top prospects.

I agree, but will add that Ben may see some of our rule 5 prospects as being about as good as some of our 40 man players, so he may trade a couple 40 man roster players to make room for a couple rule 5 players that he sees as not being a drop off- or much of one. The return value must offset any drop off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Starting tomorrow the Red Sox play the next ten games vs. the Yankees (3), Rays (4) and then head to Baltimore for three.  Brutal is you ask me.   LOL

AL East: The most competitive division in all of sports

P.S. When do we get to play Houston again?   LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Taking on salaries like Young's or Ramirez' should help our trade partners enough that high-end prospects should not be involved. But either could come as part of a package involving either Garza or Lee, which would then involve prospects. But if the deals are not expanded to include a starter along with a third-baseman, then I believe Ben holds the line on any top prospect. Only prospects that we would be exposed to losing in the rule 5 draft should be offered in deals. If our farm system is as strong as we are led to believe then the solutions to fill our holes are probably in our system, at least better solutions than most, without costing us any top prospects.

I agree, but will add that Ben may see some of our rule 5 prospects as being about as good as some of our 40 man players, so he may trade a couple 40 man roster players to make room for a couple rule 5 players that he sees as not being a drop off- or much of one. The return value must offset any drop off.

Agreed Moon. There are players on our forty-man roster who will never see Fenway from the home dugout, just as there are several in our system, not yet on the forty-man, who we do not want to lose to the rule 5 draft. Bard, sadly, Butler and Hassan are all just taking up spots on the forty-man roster in my opinion, and something could still happen with regard to free-agents to be, particularly Drew, who clearly does not fit into plans beyond this year. That's ten percent of the forty-man roster right there. I'm a little fuzzy on the rules (huge understatement there!) but I think some of our better prospects are still too young to be concerned about losing them to the draft.

Is this the Sea Dogs weekend?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Starting tomorrow the Red Sox play the next ten games vs. the Yankees (3), Rays (4) and then head to Baltimore for three.  Brutal is you ask me.   LOL

Early August: I have tickets to all 3 games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:\

Agreed Moon. There are players on our forty-man roster who will never see Fenway from the home dugout, just as there are several in our system, not yet on the forty-man, who we do not want to lose to the rule 5 draft. Bard, sadly, Butler and Hassan are all just taking up spots on the forty-man roster in my opinion, and something could still happen with regard to free-agents to be, particularly Drew, who clearly does not fit into plans beyond this year. That's ten percent of the forty-man roster right there. I'm a little fuzzy on the rules (huge understatement there!) but I think some of our better prospects are still too young to be concerned about losing them to the draft.

Here's a complete list of the players and when they become eligible for rule 5:

http://www.soxprospects.com/wiki.html

Red= top 40/Bold Black 41-60 or others with ML possibilities

2013: Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Eric Nieson, Nefi Ogando, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Matthew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

8 Red

6 Black

6 Player likely to be lost to free agency:

Ellsbury, Saltalamaccia, Napoli, S Drew, and J Hanrahan 

Others that may be traded, released, or removed from the 40 man roster:

Bard, Kalish, Morales, Miller, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Britton, Bailey, D Ross, Webster, de la Rosa, A Wilson, S Wright, D Butler, A Hassan, J Gomes, B Holt, de la Torre, P Beato, B Snyder, B Workman, and Lester ($13M club option w $.25M buyout- voided if traded), Thornton ($6M club option w $1M buyout). 

Is this the Sea Dogs weekend?

Nobody has answered, so I'm guessing next weekend (July 26-28). I'm free for anyday, unless soemthing comes up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The game on either the 27th or 28th is at Fenway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

That's awesome moonslav59!!!  Have a great time!!!   Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's awesome moonslav59!!!  Have a great time!!!   Laughing

I try to get to 6-10 away games over a season. I'm also going to see the Rangers series too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

If we "go big" at the deadline, who will it be for?

Cliff Lee

G. Stanton

M Garza

A Ramirez (3B)

M Young

Others?

Sox4ever

Stanton. Young and inexpensive means that he would be expensive in prospects/players. In a way earlier post this year, I suggested Nava in a package of about 5 players. Not that Nava would be the centerpiece, but he has shown that he can play at the MLB level and would be affordable to the Marlins. I'll let you choose the other 4 in the package.

M Young/A Ramirez - I would rather give Bogaerts a shot at 3rd.

Garza? - I think we have better options in the farm system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Cliff Lee

G. Stanton

M Garza

A Ramirez (3B)

M Young

Others?

Sox4ever

Stanton. Young and inexpensive means that he would be expensive in prospects/players. In a way earlier post this year, I suggested Nava in a package of about 5 players. Not that Nava would be the centerpiece, but he has shown that he can play at the MLB level and would be affordable to the Marlins. I'll let you choose the other 4 in the package.

Who is better than Garza, and why isn't he already starting for us?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Cliff Lee

G. Stanton

M Garza

A Ramirez (3B)

M Young

Others?

Sox4ever

Hey Moon. My main point is Garza is a rental who will probably cost two top pitching prospects. "Better options" in my terminology means allowing some of the young farm talent to pitch rather than trading it for a fraction of a year.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cliff Lee

G. Stanton

M Garza

A Ramirez (3B)

M Young

Others?

Sox4ever

Hey Moon. My main point is Garza is a rental who will probably cost two top pitching prospects. "Better options" in my terminology means allowing some of the young farm talent to pitch rather than trading it for a fraction of a year.

I'm also not for giving any top prospects for Garza, unless we extenbd him, but he is a better option than Dempster or any starter we have from the 6th slot and lower. That's all I was pointing out. I do not see me being for a trade for Garza, because I see the cost being too high, and I doubt he will agree to extend at a reasonable cost.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Isn't it time for Part III ?

I usually start Part III before the trade deadline, but I'm not sure I have the time to create an in depth thread on our dealine options. I may start one anyways or wait until after the dealine. I return home on August 1st.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Extending Pedey will eat into the winter payroll budget to some extent.

Sox4ever

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

EAST                  W   L   PCT   GB   

Boston Red Sox Red Sox    59 39 .602   0.0    

Tampa Bay Rays Rays          56 41 .577   2.5    

Baltimore Orioles Orioles      54 43 .557  4.5   

New York Yankees Yankees    51 45 .531  7.0   

Toronto Blue Jays Blue Jays  45 50 .474  12.5  

A lot of teams still in it.

What's scary to me is that we are only 5.5 games ahead of the team looking to make the last wild card slot (Baltimore).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

EAST                  W   L   PCT   GB   

Boston Red Sox Red Sox    59 39 .602   0.0    

Tampa Bay Rays Rays          56 41 .577   2.5    

Baltimore Orioles Orioles      54 43 .557  4.5   

New York Yankees Yankees    51 45 .531  7.0   

Toronto Blue Jays Blue Jays  45 50 .474  12.5  

A lot of teams still in it.

What's scary to me is that we are only 5.5 games ahead of the team looking to make the last wild card slot (Baltimore).

Still a lot of divisional games left in the season. Our destiny is in our own hands. in 2 weeks we could have a huge lead if we do well in these next few series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We certainly do not have an easy road, so when we make it, it will be well earned.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Huge night for Napoli. I hope it's a sign of one of his patented red hot streaks.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Nine walk off wins so far. That is very impressive. A characteristic of a championship team. Not saying it will happen -  we have our weaknesses, but you have to like it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Nine walk off wins so far. That is very impressive. A characteristic of a championship team. Not saying it will happen -  we have our weaknesses, but you have to like it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

It is a sign of the "fighter mentality" in this team. After the 8th inning DP, it could have been easy to hand the game away, but we hung on with some low bullpen guys holding the line until one guy made it happen.

Big win going into the Rays series.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dodgers are closing in on 1st and they are only a .515 team. The Indians, A's, and even the Yankees have a better record. 

Really interesting looking around the league and it is amazing that once again the AL East teams are the most competitive in comparison.

I think many of us thought it would be very competitive, but not many thought so many teams would be above .500 at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crit, sorry I missed your call and lost your number. 

I'm off to Boston to catch a couple games. Be back to the lake Thursday. I'm thinking maybe the Sunday Sea Dogs' game looks best. Will keep in touch here.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts