A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Well, we'll see what they they do, but my call is that they are not trading Salty unless the team goes down the tubes in the next two months.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Well, we'll see what they they do, but my call is that they are not trading Salty unless the team goes down the tubes in the next two months.

I agree

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Have to call this a very positive night for Salty.  We give up 2 runs in Morales's first start of the season.  And at the plate, 2 doubles and 3 RBI. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's kind of ironic for me about this whole Salty debate is that moon was instrumental in converting me into a supporter of Salty's.  I was always bringing up Salty's high CERA, and it was moon who kept pointing out that Salty's CERA had improved a lot since the first part of 2012, and also that it took Varitek several years to become a good CERA catcher.

So now I finally want to keep Salty, and moon wants to trade him. Laughing 

Actually, I was saying the same thing all winter: extend him or trade him while his value is high. It might be even higher right now after such a nice offensive start.

I'm OK with keeping him. I'd rather trade Drew and/or Ellsbury. As much as I have defended Salty since last May, I'm not blind to his propensity to late season slumps. And, while I do think he has improved greatly with handling our staff since 2011, I wouldn't say he is a plus in that area. 

Compared to Lava, yes. I get the argument about handing our staff to Lava (more Ross if he gets healthy) in the midst of a pennant race.

I seriously doubt Ben trades Salty if we are in it. I'm a 100% sure he doesn't trade Salty, Ells and Drew if we are still in it, so to me, I don't really think I'd trade Salty before Ells and Drew.

I know it sounds like I'm riding the fence here, but it is a tough call. Of course, I'd have to know the offer before I say I'm for trading any of these guys.

I agree with softy (from another thread), I'd trade Ellsbury for a "consenus top 100 prospect" as soon as Victorino is healthy. I'd trade Drew as soon as Middlebrooks is healthy. If none of those deals are possible, then I'd look to deal Salty. 

I just can't bring myself to think we're going to lose all 3 after this season and get nothing but the Ellsbury draft pick to show for them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Have to call this a very positive night for Salty.  We give up 2 runs in Morales's first start of the season.  And at the plate, 2 doubles and 3 RBI. 

Hes on track for his best offensive season hes had in his MLB career.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox have a very tough schedule for the next three weeks (23 games).  They play the Yankees, Rangers, Angels, Rays, O's and Tigers.  If Boston can go at least 14-9, then I will be happy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Red Sox have a very tough schedule for the next three weeks (23 games).  They play the Yankees, Rangers, Angels, Rays, O's and Tigers.  If Boston can go at least 14-9, then I will be happy. 

I'll be happy with 12-11, especially if we win more than lose vs NYY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'll be happy with 12-11, especially if we win more than lose vs NYY.

Good evening moonslav59   Laughing

It will be fun to see the Red Sox face Weaver, Verlander, Moore, Darvish, and,...........geez, this is a brutal schedule.  Why can't the Red Sox face the Marlins four times like the Rays did?   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

No question it is unlikely that they trade any of Ellsbury, Salty or Gomes etc...and most especially Ellsbury but if we get a pick out of him I'm fine with that. You know, we are in 1st place. I don't get the continued fire sale, which is what the Ellsbury move represents. 

We are probably a better team by keeping Ellsbury IMO but at minimum we have great depth with JBJ and Lavarnway available as injury substitutions. And I have no proiblem with them making some moves to move those guys on the 25 man if we can get some talent back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

No question it is unlikely that they trade any of Ellsbury, Salty or Gomes etc...and most especially Ellsbury but if we get a pick out of him I'm fine with that. You know, we are in 1st place. I don't get the continued fire sale, which is what the Ellsbury move represents. 

We are probably a better team by keeping Ellsbury IMO but at minimum we have great depth with JBJ and Lavarnway available as injury substitutions. And I have no proiblem with them making some moves to move those guys on the 25 man if we can get some talent back.

Again, I'm not for giving Ellsbury away. If the return is not significantly better than the value of the draft pick, then I say "NO Trade!".

We are 2 games up rounding the one third mark to the season, and we just got Morales & Bailey back. If Victorino can return and stay healthy, we may barely miss Ellsbury or Drew. We could also trade Ellsbury, Ellsbury and Drew for prospects, but then trade a couple prospects for a piece that helps us in 2013 and beyond. I'm not getting into specific trades until the end of June arrives.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon and Boom, I'm not for a fire sale either but I agree with you Moon.  It's not that I want to trade Ells, but it seems like we have JBJ ready to step in and do a lot of what Ells does if we do trade him or package him.  I just keep going back to believing this is a great group of guys to root for and a breath of fresh air, but not enough for a WS.  One more great starter that pushes a couple of guys down--as you've explained Moon--makes our whole staff better.  Maybe Morales-Doubie-Webster can be that next year, but not yet.  And we need a guy who can hit 30 dingers in the middle of the order.  Like someone else said here recently, we have lots of depth so any trades that are made, we do have people to step up.  I think it's exciting to be in this present spot, and it's pretty fair to say BC put us here with the LA trade and holding the line to some extent this winter...Moon and everyone, I know you're not ready to speculate on trades, but are there any teams out there who LINE UP WELL WITH US?  By that I mean need catching, relievers, SS, 3rd baseman, outfielders, our strengths right?  For starting pitchers, middle of the order hitters...guys on the cusp of coming into their own.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Moon and Boom, I'm not for a fire sale either but I agree with you Moon.  It's not that I want to trade Ells, but it seems like we have JBJ ready to step in and do a lot of what Ells does if we do trade him or package him.  I just keep going back to believing this is a great group of guys to root for and a breath of fresh air, but not enough for a WS.  One more great starter that pushes a couple of guys down--as you've explained Moon--makes our whole staff better.  Maybe Morales-Doubie-Webster can be that next year, but not yet.  And we need a guy who can hit 30 dingers in the middle of the order.  Like someone else said here recently, we have lots of depth so any trades that are made, we do have people to step up.  I think it's exciting to be in this present spot, and it's pretty fair to say BC put us here with the LA trade and holding the line to some extent this winter...Moon and everyone, I know you're not ready to speculate on trades, but are there any teams out there who LINE UP WELL WITH US?  By that I mean need catching, relievers, SS, 3rd baseman, outfielders, our strengths right?  For starting pitchers, middle of the order hitters...guys on the cusp of coming into their own.

I usually start looking for trade partners around the end of June.

There are the obvious salary dump trades like A Soriano, but I don't see that as a fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big game tonight. I'm pulling for Doubront, but I'm very concerned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Hey crit,

To me, 3rd base isnt a strength this year, which is why Iggy is there right now. Plus, I dont think they are ready to give up on Middy. OF really isnt a strength either IMO. With Ells one foot out the door, and Besides JBJ and maybe Brentz, we have nothing close to ready. Id say as it stands right now, 3b and OF are not very strong. Cecchini and maybe Almanzar (3b) are about a year or 2 away still.

Relievers wont get us too much unless we decide to go after paps and use bailey as trade bait. Or  guy like Koji or Taz. Mort, Miller etc., type guys arent worth much. Maybe Aceves?

We need to see if Middy comes around. It will depend on how he produces coming off the DL. If he continues to struggle, then yeah, we will need to find a bat IMO.

I think Ellsbury (Drew maybe) will net us a comp pick with a QO, so unless the return is without a doubt helpful this year and in the future, They should stay put. I have a hard time believing JBJ can step right into CF and duplicate the production Ells can give us, same with Iggy for Drew. The offensive production will suffer. I still say dont move Salty unless were out of it too.

Have to see where we, and other teams, are at come the end of June to really start throwing names around...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Doubront will be very fortunate to make it to the end of five innings. With luck, this could be his last start before Morales is given a shot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm rooting for JBJ tonight. This is a more realistic matchup. It seems like he is in there against left handed studs half the time he is in the lineup. 

If I had to chose right now between Iglesias and Drew I'd take Iglesias every time at SS. If he keeps playing well when Middlebrooks comes back we should consider slotting Iglesias at SS. Forget about Ciriaco. Let's think about Iglesias starting at SS. 

I think "what have you done for me lately" is an undervalued stat. Iglesias is driving the ball fairly well and the kid can absolutely play defense. He's a solid 3rd baseman defensively already.

Iglesias UZR/150 at SS in 2012 = an ungodly plus 46.5

Iglesias UZR/150 at SS in 2013 = plus 31.2

Play the kid. Please play the kid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Doubront says "Cut my ERA by .3 and play the kid"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

JBJ struts some stuff...we need some games like this. NAVA! I'm so happy for that guy. What a story and how much better the ending if that kid pulls off a solid year as he has been doing and we have him through 2018 under control. 

The future looks bright. Let's keep it going. We should be a better team than the Yanks. Time to put some distance between us and them right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront came up strong in a big game. Nice!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

How about that play Iggy made on the slow roller?   Incredible!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm watching the game now, for the first time. Just saw the highlight of Nava's HR. 93 mph fastball, letter high...pulled to RF. That is a tough pitch to even hit let along crank out of the park. 

Nava has really developed. That's pretty decent bat speed. I think he may well turn out to be worth a lot going forward if we really control his contract until 2018. That is some serious value.

Lots of guys thought he would never make it, even after he hit a consistent .340 in the minors for several years and had forearms like Popeye. It's absolutely great to see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'm watching the game now, for the first time. Just saw the highlight of Nava's HR. 93 mph fastball, letter high...pulled to RF. That is a tough pitch to even hit let along crank out of the park. 

Nava has really developed. That's pretty decent bat speed. I think he may well turn out to be worth a lot going forward if we really control his contract until 2018. That is some serious value.

Lots of guys thought he would never make it, even after he hit a consistent .340 in the minors for several years and had forearms like Popeye. It's absolutely great to see.

He looks more buffed out this year.  Has he been working out with any of the other players during the off season?

What impressed me was the ability to get around on that high hard one.  It was above the letters and at that height, it's almost impossible for a hitter to catch up to it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Solid outing for Doubie, JBJ, Nava, Drew and Iggy last night.

If Middly struggles upon his return, Id have no issue with Iggy playing 3rd until he takes over SS next year. That was a highlight reel play he made. Nava impresses me every time out. He deserves to be an AS this year. 300BA and 400OBP into June? Yeah, kids for real AND not arb eligible until 2015...The more Iggy continues to hit, the more comfortable I am feeling about him. Hes definitely got a different aura about him, without a doubt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Doubront will be very fortunate to make it to the end of five innings. With luck, this could be his last start before Morales is given a shot.

Wrong again Einstein....Morales is a middle reliever, spot starter. Always has been, and always will be.