A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Hello moonslav59  :)

I laughed at Billy Beane for giving a 4-year, $36 million deal to Cespedes.  Beane proved me wrong again.  I also picked the Angels to win the World Series in 2012.  LOL

This year, I look forward to seeing how the AL East will play out.  I doubt the O's will go 29-9 in one-run games and 16-2 in extra innings again............but I may be wrong.   LOL

i wanted us to land Cespedes last offseason but considering our financial situation i knew it was not a reality.

I agree. No way the Oioles pull that off again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If you look at Lackey's situation, he has had elbow issues for many years, even before he came to the Sox. He's in better shape and presumably healthy. TJ surgury often gives pithers another 2 mph or so on their fastball. Look at Tazawa, who has better stuff now than he had before the surgury and many other examples. My gut tells me that Lackey will be our big surprise this year. I'm hoping for comeback player of the year.

Is it just me though or do I just think I'm dreaming when I see some of the lineups and talent on other teams. Look at the Angels with Trout, Pujols and Hamilton in addition to some quality pitching. There are quite a few teams which have taken things to another level from all appearances.

Trout is probably the most exciting player I have seen in years. What a future that kid has. I hope he stays healthy. And you know what. I bet he is for real. That highlight catch we see so often on MLB Network is off the charts great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

If you look at Lackey's situation, he has had elbow issues for many years, even before he came to the Sox. He's in better shape and presumably healthy. TJ surgury often gives pithers another 2 mph or so on their fastball. Look at Tazawa, who has better stuff now than he had before the surgury and many other examples. My gut tells me that Lackey will be our big surprise this year. I'm hoping for comeback player of the year.

Is it just me though or do I just think I'm dreaming when I see some of the lineups and talent on other teams. Look at the Angels with Trout, Pujols and Hamilton in addition to some quality pitching. There are quite a few teams which have taken things to another level from all appearances.

Trout is probably the most exciting player I have seen in years. What a future that kid has. I hope he stays healthy. And you know what. I bet he is for real. That highlight catch we see so often on MLB Network is off the charts great.

I agree with you RedsoxProspects.   :)
    The Angels have an awesome line-up and Trout is a five-tool player.  If Trout continues to play this great, then the Angels will lock him up before he becomes a free agent. 

My concern with the Angels is their starting pitching staff.  Weaver and Wilson are a great 1-2 punch.  But the rest of their starting pitchers are average at best. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to jcri's comment:

Yes Moon, I miss some of the guys and I miss that guy who was here when I first started reading four or five years ago--RedSox2024--or something like that.  He was feisty and opinionated and sometimes I thought a little too pugnacious--he used to really get into it with Softy and Boom--but I liked his ideas and enthusiasm.

I think it was RedSox0407 or something like that... yeah he was a good poster who rarely backed down from a good argument.

Lot's have been driven away by likes of softy and pike.

He's on other boards still. When any of us aren't having fun here we should just leave. It isn't worth it. Some of us are stubborn as heck, and if I'm considered that way so be it. Baseball is not an exact science. Lots of times people are going to disagree on issues but that doesn't make them worth 10 pages of insults. I have no problem leaving when it isn't worth it to me to argue. Many of us are old with not all that much time left. It isn't worth it to argue over some stupid issue which some guy just can't let go.

I'm hoping guys like 5katz are just taking the winter off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Hello moonslav59  :)

I laughed at Billy Beane for giving a 4-year, $36 million deal to Cespedes.  Beane proved me wrong again.  I also picked the Angels to win the World Series in 2012.  LOL

This year, I look forward to seeing how the AL East will play out.  I doubt the O's will go 29-9 in one-run games and 16-2 in extra innings again............but I may be wrong.   LOL

i wanted us to land Cespedes last offseason but considering our financial situation i knew it was not a reality.

I agree. No way the Oioles pull that off again.

I think some of it was their manager, and the fact that the players believed in themselves. If the O's get off to a bad start, they may never regain that confidence, but I do think the O's still have a chance to compete again this year.

They may not repeat what they did in close games again, but they may also win more by larger margins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I see it, and the Angels are one reason I do not see us as having a realistic chance this year. They weren't even the runner up to the WC last year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I see it, and the Angels are one reason I do not see us as having a realistic chance this year. They weren't even the runner up to the WC last year!

True, I'd expect the Angels to make the post-season rather easily, but the Rangers have lost Hamilton and Napoli.  Without Hamilton in the lineup, they are 44-41 over the past two years.  Adrian Beltre is going to be their cleanup hitter - I wouldn't pencil them into the post-season.  

I'm also skeptical of the smoke & mirrors Orioles repeating their success, and the Yankees look as vulnerable as I've seen them in 20 years.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

True, I'd expect the Angels to make the post-season rather easily, but the Rangers have lost Hamilton and Napoli.  Without Hamilton in the lineup, they are 44-41 over the past two years.  Adrian Beltre is going to be their cleanup hitter - I wouldn't pencil them into the post-season.  

I'm also skeptical of the smoke & mirrors Orioles repeating their success, and the Yankees look as vulnerable as I've seen them in 20 years.  

I agree, both the Rangers and Orioles will have a hard time repeating.  The Angels also seem to find a way to lose out even with their big signings so I wouldn't count them as being top contenders just yet either.

The Tigers?  that may be a different story if they can stay healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I still think that the A's will win the AL West again in 2013. 

The A's starting pitching staff is one of the finest in all of baseball.  Look at the Angels, who else do they have besides Weaver and Wilson?

Oakland A's starting pitching staff,

Brett Anderson

Jarrod Parker

Tommy Milone

Bartolo Colon

A.J. Griffin

Watch out for Oakland in 2013.  I fear this team more than the Angels, Yankees, or Blue Jays. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, enjoyed your ST questions to be answered.  Just a couple of comments.  I thought BV would be good for the team last year; boy, was I wrong there.  So I too am excited by Farrell's return as I think the players are happy and see him as "stability," someone they know.  I'm not sure how good a coach he is, but I don't think people thought Tito was a world beater when he came either.

I don't know much about CERA but I do believe the statistics I've read here in previous discussions, so I am also happy about Ross and I agree with what I think you were saying--that Ross will be a good influence on Salty who seems open to improvement, and as Moon points out, he was improving that way anyway.

I am also disappointed in Doubie if he came into camp not in good shape.  How can a young pitcher with talent do that with millions of future dollars at stake--not to mention a little pride?  However I am excited about Wright and what he could do and read somewhere here today that if Doubie or anyone else falters, the RS see him as a guy who could jump right in.

Right now I'm more worried about Papi than Nap and agree with Moon that one false step running the bases and he could be done.  If these guys can stay healthy, they can help.

Finally, I have repeatedly supported Aceves, admiring his skills as a long reliever and thinking with Farrell back and a certain level of comfort and expectation, he would fall back in line and be a good soldier.  I still support him, but after today's incident, if he steps out of line again, I think they should just can him regardless of what they get back, losses, etc.  When you're starting anew, you don't need leftover bad apples.

Have fun down there!  Critter              

PS  Boom, no matter how old we get, don't you go anywhere!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I'd take Beltre over Naps as my clean-up hitter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think that the A's will win the AL West again in 2013. 

The A's starting pitching staff is one of the finest in all of baseball.  Look at the Angels, who else do they have besides Weaver and Wilson?

Oakland A's starting pitching staff,

Brett Anderson

Jarrod Parker

Tommy Milone

Bartolo Colon

A.J. Griffin

Watch out for Oakland in 2013.  I fear this team more than the Angels, Yankees, or Blue Jays. 

I agree.

The A's, Angels and Jays are much better.

The Yanks, O's, Rays and Rangers are worse or maybe worse (on paper).

The Tigers should make the playoffs.

The Indians, Mariners and Royals will not be push-overs anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Well Moon, in a perfect world wouldn't all the teams be competitive? We've certainly been spoiled around here by consistently contending (more or less) every year since 1967. But imagine being a fan of one of the small market teams who have no chance from day one? Lived through that in the fifties and early sixties and although I was too young to recognize it, losing was so commonplace that I became immune to it. Competitive balance is good in sports; it's certainly done alright for the NFL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Well Moon, in a perfect world wouldn't all the teams be competitive? We've certainly been spoiled around here by consistently contending (more or less) every year since 1967. But imagine being a fan of one of the small market teams who have no chance from day one? Lived through that in the fifties and early sixties and although I was too young to recognize it, losing was so commonplace that I became immune to it. Competitive balance is good in sports; it's certainly done alright for the NFL.

I love the competitive balance today. I'm actually OK with us not being strong contenders, but only if we we making a strong push to be better in 2-3 years. That's where my beef comes in about this past winter. I had hoped the Dodger trade was the beginning of something big, but it's like we did nothing to help our extended future this winter and just did enough to make us appear to have a chance in 2013.

I admit the 2 rings spoiled me, but I'm not the kind of fan that needs to feel we should win every year. I'm fine with sacrifcing a bit of the now for a grander tomorrow, or if the time is right (it wasn't this year), sacrificing a bit of tomorrow for a big push for today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/revisiting-red-sox-rubby-de-la-rosa/

Interesting read on Fangraphs this morning. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

I agree with you jidgef that we have been spoiled.

You have teams like the Royals who have not made the playoffs since 1985.  Back then, my country was ruled by a dictator.  LOL

You also have teams like the Cubs who have not won a World Series since Lincoln was President.   LOL

The Indians spent $117 million during the offseason on free agents.  

MLB is moving in the right direction.  Teams like the Royals and Mariners used to be push-overs but not anymore.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/revisiting-red-sox-rubby-de-la-rosa/

Interesting read on Fangraphs this morning. 

" Based on my belief a healthy De La Rosa is an impact pitcher, the Red Sox off-season was a bit surprising. The team added Ryan Dempster (3.77 xFIP), Joel Hanrahan (4.28 xFIP) and Koji Uehara (2.67 xFIP) to revamp a pitching staff with few open spots to begin with.  "

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston's projected payroll for 2013 is around $151 million which is the fourth highest behind the Dodgers, Yankees and Phillies.

Boy did that add up right away during the offseason.  LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boston's projected payroll for 2013 is around $151 million which is the fourth highest behind the Dodgers, Yankees and Phillies.

And all for what?

A pretend shot at a 2013 ring?

Nothing we did really helped us out that much for 2014 and beyond.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And all for what?

No it didn't, but it didn't cripple us either. With some luck and a clean bill of health this is a competitive team...and if not they preserved the farm and didn't lock themselves up long term.  They will be right back to where they where in 2 or 3 years (to reset again). 

I think this is what the plan is. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And all for what?

No it didn't, but it didn't cripple us either. With some luck and a clean bill of health this is a competitive team...and if not they preserved the farm and didn't lock themselves up long term.  They will be right back to where they where in 2 or 3 years (to reset again). 

Yes, they played it halfway and put off the big decisions to a later time. They did not trade away the future. That was the extent of planning for the future. Instead of improving on our extended future, they chose to make us appear to be a competitive team this year, if almost everything goes right (health and luck).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And all for what?

Yes, they played it halfway and put off the big decisions to a later time. They did not trade away the future. That was the extent of planning for the future. Instead of improving on our extended future, they chose to make us appear to be a competitive team this year, if almost everything goes right (health and luck).

Or they're playing for time while prospects like Bogaerts, Bradley Jr., DeLaRosa and Barnes develop. You say potayto I say potahto. :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And all for what?

Yes I agree a LOT has to go right this year and we've been accustomed to more going wrong.  We know some things will go right and some will go wrong, but if more goes right than wrong then we may be a trade or two away at the deadline to compete for a playoff spot (with 2 wild cards now). I hate to admit it but I see that scenario unlikely, however I don't see it very unlikely either.  Regardless I'm Preparing myself for one of those seasons when all we can here for is "personal accomplishments"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes I agree a LOT has to go right this year and we've been accustomed to more going wrong.  We know some things will go right and some will go wrong, but if more goes right than wrong then we may be a trade or two away at the deadline to compete for a playoff spot (with 2 wild cards now). I hate to admit it but I see that scenario unlikely, however I don't see it very unlikely either.  Regardless I'm Preparing myself for one of those seasons when all we can here for is "personal accomplishments

There's a lot I want to see this year. I will enjoy it.

It might be curious to see what Ben does if we are 13 out at the trade deadline.

Or, 2 out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank goodness there are now five playoff spots in each league.  Up to 1993, only the first place teams from each division (only two divisions in each league) went to the playoffs.  So despite winning 102 games, the 1993 SF Giants did not make the playoffs. 

Sections
Shortcuts