A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Maybe we are the new Rays if you watch what we are doing. It is similar in some ways with a greater focus on young pitching and improvements in farm development.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Especially considering we have the best farm out of all the teams in the ALE by far.

TB has a very good farm. They got more than just Myers from KC, and they were very good beforehand.

They had aboatload of comp picks recently, are seeing the results from the Garza, bartlett and Kazmir deals, and have several young players locked up for the longterm.

TB will not go away.

Good ownership - excellent GM - one of the best Managers in the game. If this team played in any other market and received some support = $. Probably would have won a WS by now. If you can develope your own pitching, you'll win more often than not and no one has done a better job of developing pitching over the past 5-8 yrs. May be the reason RS are stock piling young arms, lesson learned? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The AL East is up for grabs.  Any team in the AL East can either win the division or finish in last place.  

I doubt that Baltimore will go 29-9 in one-run games, 16-2 in extra innings, and 74-0 when leading after the 7th inning.  But the O's will not go away in 2013 either.  

I pick Toronto to win the division (with 89 wins) and Boston to clinch a wild card berth (with 87 wins).  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Especially considering we have the best farm out of all the teams in the ALE by far.

TB has a very good farm. They got more than just Myers from KC, and they were very good beforehand.

They had aboatload of comp picks recently, are seeing the results from the Garza, bartlett and Kazmir deals, and have several young players locked up for the longterm.

TB will not go away.

Good ownership - excellent GM - one of the best Managers in the game. If this team played in any other market and received some support = $. Probably would have won a WS by now. If you can develope your own pitching, you'll win more often than not and no one has done a better job of developing pitching over the past 5-8 yrs. May be the reason RS are stock piling young arms, lesson learned? 

getting the pick of the litter for years and years prior to their rise certainly helped them a lot too...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The AL East is up for grabs.  Any team in the AL East can either win the division or finish in last place.  

I doubt that Baltimore will go 29-9 in one-run games, 16-2 in extra innings, and 74-0 when leading after the 7th inning.  But the O's will not go away in 2013 either.  

I pick Toronto to win the division (with 89 wins) and Boston to clinch a wild card berth (with 87 wins).  

I wonder if it is actually possible for Balitmore to be a much better team this year without the record to reflect it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to garyhow's comment:

TB will not go away.

getting the pick of the litter for years and years prior to their rise certainly helped them a lot too...

Yes, it did help, but I'm sure several of their picks were not based on who they wanted the most, but who they could more easily sign.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[TB] seem to unload guys at the right time and develop good young talent with consistency. 

I am going to do astudy on their players who have come and gone. It's amazing how many play poorly or get hurt the year after they leave.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Today's report from the Fort...not to be confused with Softy's spring training musings...

Iggy, with two more doubles today, looks good enough to have Ben and Farrell scratching their heads and asking themselves why they gave $10mil to Drew. These two hits were against Hellickson and Nieman, not the JV staff. This is NOT a knock on Drew as I think he has looked much better than I expected, but he is no Iggy.

Overbay had a triple late but hit into a double play early with runners on first and third and no outs to "drive in" a run. He also cost the Sox their only run allowed with a poor defensive play at first where he couldn't "find" the bag. It was scored a hit, a gift, and it lead to Tampa's only run. I can't see him lasting very much longer, and while I don't understand the infatuation with Carp either, the fact that either of these guys is here points out how much Ortiz can hamstring a roster with his DH only skillset. Of all the guys in camp vying for that fifth outfielder/back-up firstbaseman job, I would give it to Nava, although since he has options left I doubt that will happen.

Doubront looked like the same Doubie who struggled to go deep into games last year, nibbling his way to high pitch counts and unable to get out of the second inning. What makes him most frustrating is his swing and miss stuff is so good; but there are no swings when the pitches aren't even close. His first eight hitters took almost an hour to retire; the game moved along nicely after he departed.

I didn't think I would be needing long pants and swearshirts down here, but....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Today's report from the Fort...not to be confused with Softy's spring training musings...

Iggy, with two more doubles today, looks good enough to have Ben and Farrell scratching their heads and asking themselves why they gave $10mil to Drew. These two hits were against Hellickson and Nieman, not the JV staff. This is NOT a knock on Drew as I think he has looked much better than I expected, but he is no Iggy.

Overbay had a triple late but hit into a double play early with runners on first and third and no outs to "drive in" a run. He also cost the Sox their only run allowed with a poor defensive play at first where he couldn't "find" the bag. It was scored a hit, a gift, and it lead to Tampa's only run. I can't see him lasting very much longer, and while I don't understand the infatuation with Carp either, the fact that either of these guys is here points out how much Ortiz can hamstring a roster with his DH only skillset. Of all the guys in camp vying for that fifth outfielder/back-up firstbaseman job, I would give it to Nava, although since he has options left I doubt that will happen.

Doubront looked like the same Doubie who struggled to go deep into games last year, nibbling his way to high pitch counts and unable to get out of the second inning. What makes him most frustrating is his swing and miss stuff is so good; but there are no swings when the pitches aren't even close. His first eight hitters took almost an hour to retire; the game moved along nicely after he departed.

I didn't think I would be needing long pants and swearshirts down here, but....

Thanks, Jid. Your reports are very insightful. 

On Iggy, it may take him showing he can hit very well to finally get a chance: sad but true. I'm afraid the Drew investment will hold him back this year. 

Doubie worries me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

"Iggy, with two more doubles today, looks good enough to have Ben and Farrell scratching their heads and asking themselves why they gave $10mil to Drew. These two hits were against Hellickson and Nieman, not the JV staff. This is NOT a knock on Drew as I think he has looked much better than I expected, but he is no Iggy."

I am sure that all in RSN are very glad to hear that Iggy got two doubles today. Farrell had nothing to do with signing Drew to a contract. Ben had no idea that Iggy would get two doubles today when he signed Drew and thus make the $10 mil. contract ridiculous and totally stupid to every logical Sox fan. Iggy still has to win the SS position and it should not be based on one day. Are you reporting the daily news or your personal agenda?

Thanks for a near total baseball post. You are welcome here with posts like these.

Jid is a good poster. Everybody has their own agenda to some extent, but I think Jid is calling it straight.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

No doubt Jidge is calling it straight. He's not the one with a personal agenda.

We do have an issue at 1st base but we can work around it. We can live with it particularly if Napoli stays healthy and produces. That's all we need from there if that happens and we can back him up with guys like Nava and Salty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

No doubt Jidge is calling it straight. He's not the one with a personal agenda.

Like so what if jid wants Iggy; it doesn't mean his reports are tainted or any less realsitic that the Globe writers.

We do have an issue at 1st base but we can work around it. We can live with it particularly if Napoli stays healthy and produces. That's all we need from there if that happens and we can back him up with guys like Nava and Salty.

I seriously doubt Carp makes the 25 man roster, unless Papi or Nap are on the DL. My guess is that he might be put on waivers, not claimed, and agree to a AAA assignment in hopes he will get a chance with the fragile papi and Naps ahead of him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why are you jumping to conclusions that the FO was remiss in signing Drew.? Isn't the jury still out? Why can't you just report what you see there instead of being editorial about it.  I am a huge fan of Iggy and wanted him to be our SS two years ago but he didn't hit and BC had to close that gap / huge problem by signing Drew.  I don't have an agenda, just trying to be objective here.  Let Iggy win the position and I hope that he does but why bash Ben for having a backup plan via Drew?

You brought being editorial to the discussion by bashing Ben and Farrell and I did not.

There is nothing wrong with "bringing an editorial" to the discussion, unless it disagrees with your opinion.

You just scolded Jid for editorializing, and then went on and gave your opinion.

Stop treating every poster who dares hold a different view than the almighty Ben (in your eyes).

There's no reason to think that Jid's report is biased, and even if it is, so what? The guy likes Iggy, and Iggy is doing well. he wonders if Ben is thinking he didn't need to sign Drew. It's a valid point, as i am sure GMs have second thought about a lot of moves they make, and perhaps even before they make them.

Ease up on people with various opinions. What would this board be like if we all agreed and never 'editorialized".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, thanks again.  I look forward to your daily reports.  Hopefully the new pitching coach and Ferrell can find a way to get Doubie to attack the strike zone and work economically.  Critter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Jid, thanks again.  I look forward to your daily reports.  Hopefully the new pitching coach and Ferrell can find a way to get Doubie to attack the strike zone and work economically.  Critter.

it's what lester did when he was a youngster under Farrells tutilage. Doobie has really good swing and miss stuff just like Lester did when he was a pup. i think some time working with Nieves and Farrell and Doobie can put up some respectable numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Selenium:  I've been trying to give you a fair chance.  At minimum you're one of these people who thankfully comes along rarely: someone with almost nothing to say that's new, thought provoking, challenging, funny--or anything else.  So you just try to be snide and tear up what somebody else does to make yourself feel better.  

I haven't seen you around here until recently.  We have some guys who disagree at times but enjoy each other and discussing the RS.  If you can't do that, then I for one will deal with you as I did someone else here in the past:  when I see your name, I will not read and I will not read anyone else's responses to you.  You will drift into nothingness, slip off the raft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey Mef, I have always been a Doubie fan, even when he gets frustrating.  I'm no pitching expert, where's Lefty when we need him, but what you're saying is true.  Whenever a young pitcher finally finds himself and becomes successful or a pitching coach is talking about working with a guy to make him better, they use the same expression: "He's attacking the strike zone."  I think I know what that means, but actually I would like Lefty to explain it from a pitcher's point of view.  I think I would say "The pitcher has to get all his pitches (fastball, curve, etc.) into the strike zone early in the game to establish that first he has them, and next that he can throw them for strikes."  Pecking away outside drives everyone nuts except the batter in my opinion--see the last coupe of years of DiceK.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Hey Mef, I have always been a Doubie fan, even when he gets frustrating.  I'm no pitching expert, where's Lefty when we need him, but what you're saying is true.  Whenever a young pitcher finally finds himself and becomes successful or a pitching coach is talking about working with a guy to make him better, they use the same expression: "He's attacking the strike zone."  I think I know what that means, but actually I would like Lefty to explain it from a pitcher's point of view.  I think I would say "The pitcher has to get all his pitches (fastball, curve, etc.) into the strike zone early in the game to establish that first he has them, and next that he can throw them for strikes."  Pecking away outside drives everyone nuts except the batter in my opinion--see the last coupe of years of DiceK.

i am also a doobie fan. I see a lot of good things when i see him pitch.. but also bad things. mainly what you jsut said, nibbling and not attacking the hitter. between Pedro, Farrell and Nieves i think they can get him straightened out in that regard. He has great stuff. He just needs to keep it over the plate and incorporate all of his pitches. if he does that he can be a very good pitcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Thank you all for defending me, apparently the Globe wouldn't let me defend myself. If anything I typed was bashing Ben or Farrell, or editorializing, then the "reader" in question is way too sensitive.  Moon, I also read many posts of yours politely asking "Selenium" to stay away from this thread. This is the only thread I go to, with rare exceptions, so as not to deal with the knuckleheads and bashers. I come here to discuss the Red Sox, not other posters, and after this post I will return to that "agenda". I have no problem debating baseball but will not debate for debate's sake nor will I respond again to someone who is only visiting to rile, ridicule or ruin the best thread on here. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Jidgef, it really helps to have 1st hand reports. And I'm sure many of us value your reports. I was just thinking yesterday on something you said which gave me some insight into this year's spring training. A fresh, first hand perspective really is a huge help and you've been doing a fine job with it. Mucho props!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Thank you all for defending me, apparently the Globe wouldn't let me defend myself. If anything I typed was bashing Ben or Farrell, or editorializing, then the "reader" in question is way too sensitive.  Moon, I also read many posts of yours politely asking "Selenium" to stay away from this thread. This is the only thread I go to, with rare exceptions, so as not to deal with the knuckleheads and bashers. I come here to discuss the Red Sox, not other posters, and after this post I will return to that "agenda". I have no problem debating baseball but will not debate for debate's sake nor will I respond again to someone who is only visiting to rile, ridicule or ruin the best thread on here. 

I am honored that you post on this thread. I hope a select few don't chase you away.

Keep your insightful posts coming!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, I did leave for a long time during the second half of last year and the early stages of the post-season. Amp and I even discussed, off line, the fact that the board had deteriorated into a lot of childishness and arguments for arguments' sake. I don't have the time, patience nor inclination for that nonsense. I'm 65 years old, have been a baseball fan all my life, I know a little bit about the game and have probably forgotten more about baseball that what some of these rabble-rousers will ever know.

You and I have been on the same page with regard to Iggy since day one. I even included in my post yesterday that it was NOT a knock on Drew as he has exceeded my expectations. Nor was it a knock on Ben or Farrell, I merely said that Iggy's strong performance may have them questioning why they spent that $10mil. As you and most of the regulars on here know, I have no agenda beyond being a baseball fan and a Red Sox fan, and simply want them to put the best possible team on the field. And whatever that team is, I will cheer for unabashedly; I guess that is my agenda.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Moon, I did leave for a long time during the second half of last year and the early stages of the post-season. Amp and I even discussed, off line, the fact that the board had deteriorated into a lot of childishness and arguments for arguments' sake. I don't have the time, patience nor inclination for that nonsense. I'm 65 years old, have been a baseball fan all my life, I know a little bit about the game and have probably forgotten more about baseball that what some of these rabble-rousers will ever know.

You and I have been on the same page with regard to Iggy since day one. I even included in my post yesterday that it was NOT a knock on Drew as he has exceeded my expectations. Nor was it a knock on Ben or Farrell, I merely said that Iggy's strong performance may have them questioning why they spent that $10mil. As you and most of the regulars on here know, I have no agenda beyond being a baseball fan and a Red Sox fan, and simply want them to put the best possible team on the field. And whatever that team is, I will cheer for unabashedly; I guess that is my agenda.

Hello jidgef   :)

I always enjoy your posts and I enjoy having you here.

Just do not take the criticism from other members too seriously.  After all, this is an internet baseball forum.  This forum is made up of many unique people.   LOL

Enjoy and please keep us up to date with the Spring Training activities.   :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You don't have to defend yourself to me, or anyone else.

If Ben isn't second guessing about Iggy starting at SS this year, then that would be a shame.

Sections
Shortcuts