A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon, I did leave for a long time during the second half of last year and the early stages of the post-season. Amp and I even discussed, off line, the fact that the board had deteriorated into a lot of childishness and arguments for arguments' sake. I don't have the time, patience nor inclination for that nonsense. I'm 65 years old, have been a baseball fan all my life, I know a little bit about the game and have probably forgotten more about baseball that what some of these rabble-rousers will ever know.

You and I have been on the same page with regard to Iggy since day one. I even included in my post yesterday that it was NOT a knock on Drew as he has exceeded my expectations. Nor was it a knock on Ben or Farrell, I merely said that Iggy's strong performance may have them questioning why they spent that $10mil. As you and most of the regulars on here know, I have no agenda beyond being a baseball fan and a Red Sox fan, and simply want them to put the best possible team on the field. And whatever that team is, I will cheer for unabashedly; I guess that is my agenda.

You don't have to defend yourself to me, or anyone else.

If Ben isn't second guessing about Iggy starting at SS this year, then that would be a shame.

hitting good through 20 ABs against pitchers getting their work in is vastly different than being able to consistently putt together good ABs. While it is encouraging, let's see if he can keep it up through march and into April before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Moon, I did leave for a long time during the second half of last year and the early stages of the post-season. Amp and I even discussed, off line, the fact that the board had deteriorated into a lot of childishness and arguments for arguments' sake. I don't have the time, patience nor inclination for that nonsense. I'm 65 years old, have been a baseball fan all my life, I know a little bit about the game and have probably forgotten more about baseball that what some of these rabble-rousers will ever know.

You and I have been on the same page with regard to Iggy since day one. I even included in my post yesterday that it was NOT a knock on Drew as he has exceeded my expectations. Nor was it a knock on Ben or Farrell, I merely said that Iggy's strong performance may have them questioning why they spent that $10mil. As you and most of the regulars on here know, I have no agenda beyond being a baseball fan and a Red Sox fan, and simply want them to put the best possible team on the field. And whatever that team is, I will cheer for unabashedly; I guess that is my agenda.

If Ben isn't second guessing about Iggy starting at SS this year, then that would be a shame.

hitting good through 20 ABs against pitchers getting their work in is vastly different than being able to consistently putt together good ABs. While it is encouraging, let's see if he can keep it up through march and into April before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

I'm not basing my opinon about Iggy a fraction of a percent on his recent 20 ABs. I'm not someone who makes jusgements on small sample sizes. I'd want Iggy as our starting SS now, even if he was 1-20 with 10 Ks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I too want him as our starting SS. Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel couldn't hit a lick when they came into MLB and learned to be adequate hitters at the MLB level. Enough so that one is in the HOF and the other probably will be. The best shortstop I ever saw was Mark Belanger and he never really learned to hit but did play on a couple world championship teams that featured great defense and pitching. And for what it's worth, Iggy looks bigger and stronger this year, working out in the off-season with Pedroia in Arizona.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not basing my opinon about Iggy a fraction of a percent on his recent 20 ABs. I'm not someone who makes jusgements on small sample sizes. I'd want Iggy as our starting SS now, even if he was 1-20 with 10 Ks.

yeah i know, you've been pretty adamant on that stance.... even though it is wrong ;)

the response wasn't for you, but for others who are likely to look at his ST stats without any context and proclaim him the bees knees.

he is starting to look good though FWIW. like i said, we are covered both ways. If Iggy is just feasting on pitchers getting their work in and not really attacking him, goes to MiLB and stinks it up then we have Drew. If Iggy actually is ML ready, goes back to MiLB and lights it up then we can bring him up. IMO we are in a win-win position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

yeah i know, you've been pretty adamant on that stance.... even though it is wrong ;)

the response wasn't for you, but for others who are likely to look at his ST stats without any context and proclaim him the bees knees.

he is starting to look good though FWIW. like i said, we are covered both ways. If Iggy is just feasting on pitchers getting their work in and not really attacking him, goes to MiLB and stinks it up then we have Drew. If Iggy actually is ML ready, goes back to MiLB and lights it up then we can bring him up. IMO we are in a win-win position.

I understand your position, even though it's wrong ;), but Iggy might not ever "light up" any league, and waiting for that to happen before giving him a shot is not what I call good decision making.

I hope Drew fields better than I expect. Aviles did last year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know that unless Drew is injured or traded, Iggy will not be our FT SS at any point this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i thought the days of slick fielding SS punch-n-judy hitters was over.  shrug.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i thought the days of slick fielding SS punch-n-judy hitters was over.  shrug.

You do know that half the MLb teams last year had a SS BA of .257 or lower,

right?

1/3rd or 10 teams below .240.

11 teams with a SS OPS below .645.

1/5th below .607.

Not much punch in those Judy's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

"Iggy, with two more doubles today, looks good enough to have Ben and Farrell scratching their heads and asking themselves why they gave $10mil to Drew. These two hits were against Hellickson and Nieman, not the JV staff. This is NOT a knock on Drew as I think he has looked much better than I expected, but he is no Iggy."

I am sure that all in RSN are very glad to hear that Iggy got two doubles today. Farrell had nothing to do with signing Drew to a contract. Ben had no idea that Iggy would get two doubles today when he signed Drew and thus make the $10 mil. contract ridiculous and totally stupid to every logical Sox fan. Iggy still has to win the SS position and it should not be based on one day. Are you reporting the daily news or your personal agenda?

Sounds like both, which hes allowed to do I believe...Keep up the good work jid. I for one, enjoy a first hand report and your opinions/editorials as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I understand your position, even though it's wrong ;), but Iggy might not ever "light up" any league, and waiting for that to happen before giving him a shot is not what I call good decision making.

I hope Drew fields better than I expect. Aviles did last year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know that unless Drew is injured or traded, Iggy will not be our FT SS at any point this season.

i disagree with the underlined part. If Iggy can show he is able to hit then he would be a better SS than Drew and likely get the spot. IDK how long until we can trade Drew but if Iggy is hitting consistently in AAA when that time comes where we can move SD then i would imagine BC would eat some of that money and promote iggy.

but until Iggy can hit he deserves to be in AAA..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i disagree with the underlined part. If Iggy can show he is able to hit then he would be a better SS than Drew and likely get the spot. IDK how long until we can trade Drew but if Iggy is hitting consistently in AAA when that time comes where we can move SD then i would imagine BC would eat some of that money and promote iggy.

but until Iggy can hit he deserves to be in AAA..

Drew would have to be hitting below .240 and looking below average in the field, and Iggy over .320 in AAA for Ben to even consider benching Drew. 

He may trade Drew, but it is almost impossible for Iggy to beat drew out for the FT job and put $10M on the bench.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If the season tanks and we are out of it by the all star break and Iggy is doing well in AAA ball, then why not trade Drew and bring him up. It could happen. Even if both are playing well it could happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

If the season tanks and we are out of it by the all star break and Iggy is doing well in AAA ball, then why not trade Drew and bring him up. It could happen. Even if both are playing well it could happen.

Yes, I said it could happen if we tarde Drew, but Drew will not be benched for Iggy unless 2 very unlikely things happen at once (see above).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Yes, I said it could happen if we tarde Drew, but Drew will not be benched for Iggy unless 2 very unlikely things happen at once (see above).

if iggy is playing well and shows he has mastered AAA pitching then i would imagine they trade Drew ASAP and bring Iggy in. They definitely won't bench Drew. Iggy may have to languish in AAA for a week or two longer while BC gets a trade lined up though...

Drew was signed to be a stopgap for Iggy. Once Iggy is ready you discard the stopgap. that is exactly what will happen when the time comes.

when is the earliest you can trade a player after signing him?? I know it's not immediately

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

An interesting night at Jet Blue; far and away the most lively crowd of the season and they were not cheering for the Sox! There were more legitimate major-leaguers in the PR lineup than in the Sox lineup.

Lackey looked very strong and threw strike after strike and generated lots of ground balls, a very good sign.

Napoli and Middlebrooks hit moon shots. Napoli also had a nice diving stop and throw to first to get an out and didn't end up on the DL as a result. Drew had a big hit to score the go-ahead run and Lavarnway had a huge game with three hits, two of them bombs, and two out of two caught stealing.

Lowlights were a terrible inning from Mortensen (although he had two good innings after a bad start) and some poor shortstop defense from both Drew and Ciriaco. The final line showed only one error, but each commited one from my perspective, so someone from PR got a gift hit. Lavarnway's doubles, especially the second one, should have been triples.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

An interesting night at Jet Blue; far and away the most lively crowd of the season and they were not cheering for the Sox! There were more legitimate major-leaguers in the PR lineup than in the Sox lineup.

Lackey looked very strong and threw strike after strike and generated lots of ground balls, a very good sign.

Napoli and Middlebrooks hit moon shots. Napoli also had a nice diving stop and throw to first to get an out and didn't end up on the DL as a result. Drew had a big hit to score the go-ahead run and Lavarnway had a huge game with three hits, two of them bombs, and two out of two caught stealing.

Lowlights were a terrible inning from Mortensen (although he had two good innings after a bad start) and some poor shortstop defense from both Drew and Ciriaco. The final line showed only one error, but each commited one from my perspective, so someone from PR got a gift hit. Lavarnway's doubles, especially the second one, should have been triples.

good to hear. a game like this you can draw conclusions from. team PR is trying to get into tourney mode so you know they were giving it their all. Definitely nice to see middlebrooks and Naps show some power as well as the defensive stop from Naps. This is the first i've heard of Lava all spring, hopefully he can keep it up throughout spring and into the season. I think he will be converted to a 1Bman this year.

keep up the great work! it is much appreciated Jid

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you jidgef for the update.   Who is the cute child in your avatar?    :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

My grandson James, now age 4. He was the ringbearer in a wedding when that was taken. He has on a suit but no shoes or sox, too cool.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

My grandson James, now age 4.

James is a very cute child.   :)

Thank you again for the update from today's game.  Take care and good night.   :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

if iggy is playing well and shows he has mastered AAA pitching then i would imagine they trade Drew ASAP and bring Iggy in. They definitely won't bench Drew. Iggy may have to languish in AAA for a week or two longer while BC gets a trade lined up though...

Drew was signed to be a stopgap for Iggy. Once Iggy is ready you discard the stopgap. that is exactly what will happen when the time comes.

when is the earliest you can trade a player after signing him?? I know it's not immediately

Expecting anyone to prove they "mastered AAA pitching" in 2-3 months is not realistic. What would he have to do to prove to you and others (and Ben) he has "mastered" it? .330? OBP .350+?

I do not think we are that far apart on our thoughts here, but I do not think small sample sizes are something to make rash decisions about. A hot Iggy should not be the reason we start Iggy over Drew, he should start because he is better overall. I also do not think drew should lose the job because he gets cold, he should lose it because Iggy is better. Here's one scenario: Iggy is hitting .310 in AAA with an OBP of .340. Drew is hitting .280 with a .340 OBP. He is fielding OK (average) as Iggy is still defending A+. Is that enough for you to trade Drew and bring Iggy up?

To me, I don't need to see that from Iggy. I think he's better even if he hits .225 in MLB, maybe even less, but if he can start hitting only a little better, it becomes no-brainer for me.

My point was that Drew will not be benched for Iggy this year. Traded maybe. DL's maybe? But, not benched.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Jid. Excellent update. I wish I was there with you watching and talking baseball. I'm getting the fever!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Expecting anyone to prove they "mastered AAA pitching" in 2-3 months is not realistic. What would he have to do to prove to you and others (and Ben) he has "mastered" it? .330? OBP .350+?

i know when i said mastered you were going to give me flak for it :) He's been in AAA long enough that for me, if he hits well for 2-3 months (not including ST) then that shows that he has learned how to hit AAA pitching and should be ready for the next step. But yeah, if he has a .320+ avg and a .350ish OBP in AAA with a couple XBHs i would bring him up to the bigs and see how he does.

I do not think we are that far apart on our thoughts here, but I do not think small sample sizes are something to make rash decisions about. A hot Iggy should not be the reason we start Iggy over Drew, he should start because he is better overall. I also do not think drew should lose the job because he gets cold, he should lose it because Iggy is better. Here's one scenario: Iggy is hitting .310 in AAA with an OBP of .340. Drew is hitting .280 with a .340 OBP. He is fielding OK (average) as Iggy is still defending A+. Is that enough for you to trade Drew and bring Iggy up?

ehhhhhhhhh... that's a tough one, i would go either way with it. So yeah, i'd go with Iggy at that point. but there are some other factors to it. If Drew is killing RHP and the rest of the team is floundering VS RHP i would strongly consider keeping Drew. but using just the numbers you gave me though i would likely go with Iggy.

To me, I don't need to see that from Iggy. I think he's better even if he hits .225 in MLB, maybe even less, but if he can start hitting only a little better, it becomes no-brainer for me.

i just don't think he is a better SS overall than Drew at this point. if Iggy starts hitting better than it tips the scale in his favor.

My point was that Drew will not be benched for Iggy this year. Traded maybe. DL's maybe? But, not benched.

i agree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, thanks for the nightly update, much appreciated.  Very encouraging to hear about Lackey.  Especially since he faced a pretty good lineup.  Also I was glad to hear Iggy and Lava hit well.  Don't pay attention to any insufferables who might wander here.  Anyone who would find fault with your analysis just simply doesn't have enough to do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i know when i said mastered you were going to give me flak for it :) He's been in AAA long enough that for me, if he hits well for 2-3 months (not including ST) then that shows that he has learned how to hit AAA pitching and should be ready for the next step. But yeah, if he has a .320+ avg and a .350ish OBP in AAA with a couple XBHs i would bring him up to the bigs and see how he does. 

But if Drew is hitting .280/.340, Ben won't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ehhhhhhhhh... that's a tough one, i would go either way with it. So yeah, i'd go with Iggy at that point. but there are some other factors to it. If Drew is killing RHP and the rest of the team is floundering VS RHP i would strongly consider keeping Drew. but using just the numbers you gave me though i would likely go with Iggy.

I think Ben would never bring up Iggy under these circumstances. He'd just decide to let Drew walk next winter. Now, if we are 13 games out at the dealine, and these numbers are in effect, drew will have trade value, and I think Benw ould pull the trigger.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

it's all circumstancial. there are a million ways we could attack this and speculate what ben may or may not do. i just know that Iggy WILL see ML time this year. how much remains to be seen and is dependant on many many factors (one we haven't listed yet is XB. if he is going to stay at SS when the time comes for him to go to pawtucket and both iggy + drew are playing as expected he may move drew and slide everyone up the depth chart. that includes Marerro to AA)

Sections
Shortcuts