A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Oakland's approach: Sign former Red Sox players and make 99% of trades with Arizona    LOL

Speaking of Oakland, I pick them to win the AL West again.  Last year was not a fluke. 

They are better this year. Much better if Anderson stays healthy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Not a great day at the fort, but Lester looked real good. I left after six innings so I didn't see Rubby give up runs, but I did see Wright throw two excrutiating innings...couldn't throw strikes and when he did he got crushed. Not much offense either, but Holt, Iggy and Ciriaco all turned in excellent defensive plays. Ciriaco's error occured when he replaced Bradley in center. The backup infielder battle is wide open. 

An interesting sidelight was the sight of Overbay playing left field and looking lost. My guess is that they want the backup firstbaseman to also double as the fifth outfielder (I'm pretty sure Sweeney is the fourth outfielder.) and if that's the case then Overbay's first test was a dismal failure. He played a fairly routine fly to left into a double when he turned too quickly to play it off the wall and it short-hopped the wall instead, ooops. Then with a runner on second he charged a single to left and should have easily held the runner at third but he booted that ball allowing the runner to score. This was after Wright had walked the bases full, ugly baseball.

But Lester looked great, and it looked like he was being squeezed, but he kept his composure and pounded the strike zone. The only run he allowed scored on an infield out following a leadoff triple.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

An interesting sidelight was the sight of Overbay playing left field and looking lost. My guess is that they want the backup firstbaseman to also double as the fifth outfielder (I'm pretty sure Sweeney is the fourth outfielder.) and if that's the case then Overbay's first test was a dismal failure.

i guess that means both Carp and Nava have the edge over Overbay as the BU 1Bman.. (i figured as much anyway. both Carp and Nava are much better ballplayers than him as it is)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm definitely not convinced Sweeney is the # 4. I lean towards Nava but he still has at least one option I think so he may not be the guy potentially. 

Can we pick none of the above?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

That is why I think Salty might well get some time at 1st base and we retain a 4th and 5th OF who are primarily outfielders. I think Nava wins one of those spots as he is better against RH pitching than some of those guys and Sweeney isn't even being looked at at 1st. Maybe Sweeney is the # 4 then and it's a fight between Nava, Carp and Overbay. I still would take Nava out of that group. I have no idea who they will pick though. 

How about Bradley!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

we shouldn't waste Bradleys time if he isn't going to be an everyday player..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Not a great day at the fort, but Lester looked real good. I left after six innings so I didn't see Rubby give up runs, but I did see Wright throw two excrutiating innings...couldn't throw strikes and when he did he got crushed. Not much offense either, but Holt, Iggy and Ciriaco all turned in excellent defensive plays. Ciriaco's error occured when he replaced Bradley in center. The backup infielder battle is wide open. 

An interesting sidelight was the sight of Overbay playing left field and looking lost. My guess is that they want the backup firstbaseman to also double as the fifth outfielder (I'm pretty sure Sweeney is the fourth outfielder.) and if that's the case then Overbay's first test was a dismal failure. He played a fairly routine fly to left into a double when he turned too quickly to play it off the wall and it short-hopped the wall instead, ooops. Then with a runner on second he charged a single to left and should have easily held the runner at third but he booted that ball allowing the runner to score. This was after Wright had walked the bases full, ugly baseball.

But Lester looked great, and it looked like he was being squeezed, but he kept his composure and pounded the strike zone. The only run he allowed scored on an infield out following a leadoff triple.

They should print your reports on the Globe Sports Pages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Whaaaa, we're "building his confidence!"

;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

;)

i'll take 1 extra year closer to his prime rather than a confident rookie who is still developing thank you very much :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

;)

i'll take 1 extra year closer to his prime rather than a confident rookie who is still developing thank you very much :)

Why waste the year of control and more important, have him sit on the bench part of the time and play out of position? Just so everyone gets to see him play? Makes no sense to me.

Unless hes playing 100% of the time, and in CF, he should be in AAA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

;)

Why waste the year of control and more important, have him sit on the bench part of the time and play out of position? Just so everyone gets to see him play? Makes no sense to me.

agreed, although if we keep jacoby he will have to get used to playing RF next season Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

;)

agreed, although if we keep jacoby he will have to get used to playing RF next season Laughing

Actually if Ells' does hit for power and by some miracle we do resign him, I could see him in LF with JBJ in CF...JBJ is the better out for the 2 defensively and has a much better arm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

;)

Actually if Ells' does hit for power and by some miracle we do resign him, I could see him in LF with JBJ in CF...JBJ is the better out for the 2 defensively and has a much better arm.

thus the arm would be much better suited for RF where it can be put to good use. Plus a configuration with either of them in LF is a vast waste of their talent. one has to be in CF and one in RF. Ells doesn't have the arm for RF, JBJ does.

besides, Fenways RF is like a second CF anyway...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

You mean they're not?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Thinking outside of the box a little....

1) Bradley is ready now defensively for sure.

2) Bradley does appear to have a very advanced hitting approach already, particularly in terms of getting on base.

3) Bradley has produced in high pressure situations in college and seems to be a mature young man emotionally, capable of dealing with adversity and a big market.

4) Considering the wear and tear a center fielder often takes in MLB, are the normal "prime" years the same for a center fielder? Would he be better now rather than at 29? Look at other CF who have aged quickly in mlb and had difficulty staying on the field.

5) What are our needs THIS YEAR? Would he not fit in as a solid outfielder against all RH pitching and as a defensive replacement for THIS TEAM? The kid would potentially get into almost every game if he were also subbed as a defensive replacement in left field and he would probably play against most RH pitching considering the extreme splits of our normal LF and RF starters. 

6) He's a young player who is not used to playing 155 games anyway. He may be better off playing with some periodic rest in order to optimize his performance. Would he not develop just as fast in this situation, playing at least 2/3 the games?. 

7) It could just be that Bradley is one of our best lead off options already. Enabling us to slot Ellsbury at #3. Significantly changing the entire lineup.

*** I'm not saying go with Bradley at the start of the year but after we arrange to keep him from being a super 2, I have no problem at all bringing him up. The key to me is why did he slump the last month in AA ball? Was it a pitching adjustment which he just couldn't handle? Or was it fatigue and/or injuries or just a slump? To me that is a huge aspect of this decision.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And could he make the difference in us winning this year?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think it's too much too soon to have Bradley starting the year with the big club.  Call him up later and give him a chance to start playing at the MLB level with less pressure on him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Boom, I'd love to see the kid play, but the economics of the game dictate that the team wait as long as possible before his free agency clock starts ticking. But if the object of the game is to simply bring the best 25 north, and start the best nine, then Bradley is in both groups. I didn't see today's game as it was a road game (seven miles away) but he had two more hits today. I also talked to someone at dinner tonight who was at the game and I know he knows his stuff and he said that Webster and Buccholz both looked "awesome", his word.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If I thought we had a legitimate chance for a ring this year, I'd be going bonkers over Bradley not getting a shot this early season. I'm surprised that a lot of posters who have been arguing that the Sox have a good chance this year want our best OF'er to start in AAA and even to stay there most or all the year.

The team year's of control issue is the only thing keeping me on the fence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Thinking outside of the box a little....

1) Bradley is ready now defensively for sure.

2) Bradley does appear to have a very advanced hitting approach already, particularly in terms of getting on base.

3) Bradley has produced in high pressure situations in college and seems to be a mature young man emotionally, capable of dealing with adversity and a big market.

4) Considering the wear and tear a center fielder often takes in MLB, are the normal "prime" years the same for a center fielder? Would he be better now rather than at 29? Look at other CF who have aged quickly in mlb and had difficulty staying on the field.

5) What are our needs THIS YEAR? Would he not fit in as a solid outfielder against all RH pitching and as a defensive replacement for THIS TEAM? The kid would potentially get into almost every game if he were also subbed as a defensive replacement in left field and he would probably play against most RH pitching considering the extreme splits of our normal LF and RF starters. 

6) He's a young player who is not used to playing 155 games anyway. He may be better off playing with some periodic rest in order to optimize his performance. Would he not develop just as fast in this situation, playing at least 2/3 the games?. 

7) It could just be that Bradley is one of our best lead off options already. Enabling us to slot Ellsbury at #3. Significantly changing the entire lineup.

*** I'm not saying go with Bradley at the start of the year but after we arrange to keep him from being a super 2, I have no problem at all bringing him up. The key to me is why did he slump the last month in AA ball? Was it a pitching adjustment which he just couldn't handle? Or was it fatigue and/or injuries or just a slump? To me that is a huge aspect of this decision.

Great summary boom.

About the slump: it could just be a slump. Even the best MLB players have slumps. Hitting is not easy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean they're not?

You haven't gotten a check yet?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

You mean they're not?

They're probably mailing it to Mass while I'm down here in Florida; just my luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean they're not?

They're probably mailing it to Mass while I'm down here in Florida; just my luck!

Don't expect a windfall.

;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If I thought we had a legitimate chance for a ring this year, I'd be going bonkers over Bradley not getting a shot this early season. I'm surprised that a lot of posters who have been arguing that the Sox have a good chance this year want our best OF'er to start in AAA and even to stay there most or all the year.

Ellsbury was second in MVP voting in 2011, but you're christening Bradley as our best OFer before he even plays above AA ball.

Sections
Shortcuts