A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

We should have offered Papi a 1 year, qualifying offer at $13 mil. If he turned it down and signed a 2 year deal somewhere else at 2/$20 mil we still would have gotten a pick. Shoulda, coulda, didn't.

I think Papi would have had a few offers including the Rangers if he seriously considered leaving Boston.  Look around our lineup hfx, there isn't another bat more important in our lineup.  I still think/hope he will be in the opening day lineup, at Papis age and size no need to play him in ST much other than to get his timing down.

It's likely he would have gotten an offer from the Rangers considering the deal they gave Berkman.  Berkman's deal is only one guaranteed year but the second year vests if he reaches 550 PA's, about 135 games.  If it vests Berkman gets 2 years, 22 million. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Both Linares and Hassan were sent down today, in response to some comments above. Haven't even seen Hassan down here that I can recall and what I've seen of Linares is that he has pop, has little or no plate discipline and is too fat to be a major league outfielder.

Buchholz looked great today and we actually started to put some hits together. Napoli looks very good at the plate and defensively. But he may lead the league in singles off the wall as he is very slow and the ball gets off the wall very quickly when he hits it.

Bailey had a good inning for a change, and Miller gave up his first runs of the spring, having looked great up until today. Only saw Webster's first two innings (I missed Bradley's error and the unearned run) and he looks very sharp. Great velocity and lots of bite on his breaking pitches. He will be a keeper although I'm sure he spends most of his season in AAA barring injuries. Vazquez caught him; makes me wonder if there's a method to that as this is not the first time those two have been paired. Vazquez picked a guy off second base in the opinion of ten thousand folks today, but not the guy in blue. He has a howitzer and an unbelievably quick release. I wrote something the other day ranking the five catchers here both offensively and defensively and I had Vazquez second defensively behind Ross. I'm not convinced that he might just be the best defensive catcher in camp. Speaking of catchers, Lavarnway hit some shots today but I believe had an 0 for 3 to show for it, while Ciriaco started one of our "rallies" with a base hit pop-up that fell between the two little-leaguers on the left side of Toronto's infield today. "You get it", "no you get it."

Finally, and having nothing to do with the Sox, I went to their old training facility yesterday to watch a D3 college game that featured a couple kids who played on my Legion team. That was a great take as there were four college games being played at the complex at once, twelve for the day. My boys split a double header and one of my old pitchers spun a 3 hit shutout in the second game while my other guy went 3 for 8 playing right field in the DH. Life is good here on the gulf coast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

I'm with you on this one Boom.  I'm all for paying him and his retiring as a RS, but not for paying him more than the market value.  What you and Moon suggest as a fair offer probably would not have been matched by anyone else--and if it was, then he wouldn't be playing for them either.  Now we just have to hope he recovers and helps this team, which would be a huge boost.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, just have to keep telling you I like your takes on the games, some of your stuff is really funny ("He's too fat to be a major league outfielder...")  And some of it is really inciteful as today's views on the catchers...Thanks...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Have you guys seen the Cuba team. It seems like the entire team is packing 20 - 50 extra pounds. No wonder they are losing. Fidel is losing control and lots of the best players have defected. They just are not the same team they were before.

I loved watching that Cuba vs Netherlands game though. Back and forth the whole game. Cuba tied them like 3 times and the Netherlands came back to win it in the 9th, even after losing 3 guys to injuries, including their 4th and 5th hitters. what a game. Every player was giving it their all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Both Linares and Hassan were sent down today, in response to some comments above. Haven't even seen Hassan down here that I can recall and what I've seen of Linares is that he has pop, has little or no plate discipline and is too fat to be a major league outfielder.

Buchholz looked great today and we actually started to put some hits together. Napoli looks very good at the plate and defensively. But he may lead the league in singles off the wall as he is very slow and the ball gets off the wall very quickly when he hits it.

Bailey had a good inning for a change, and Miller gave up his first runs of the spring, having looked great up until today. Only saw Webster's first two innings (I missed Bradley's error and the unearned run) and he looks very sharp. Great velocity and lots of bite on his breaking pitches. He will be a keeper although I'm sure he spends most of his season in AAA barring injuries. Vazquez caught him; makes me wonder if there's a method to that as this is not the first time those two have been paired. Vazquez picked a guy off second base in the opinion of ten thousand folks today, but not the guy in blue. He has a howitzer and an unbelievably quick release. I wrote something the other day ranking the five catchers here both offensively and defensively and I had Vazquez second defensively behind Ross. I'm not convinced that he might just be the best defensive catcher in camp. Speaking of catchers, Lavarnway hit some shots today but I believe had an 0 for 3 to show for it, while Ciriaco started one of our "rallies" with a base hit pop-up that fell between the two little-leaguers on the left side of Toronto's infield today. "You get it", "no you get it."

Finally, and having nothing to do with the Sox, I went to their old training facility yesterday to watch a D3 college game that featured a couple kids who played on my Legion team. That was a great take as there were four college games being played at the complex at once, twelve for the day. My boys split a double header and one of my old pitchers spun a 3 hit shutout in the second game while my other guy went 3 for 8 playing right field in the DH. Life is good here on the gulf coast.

Great report, again. Thanks. I'm glad Naps is looking good. Hip injuries are tough to deal with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Have you guys seen the Cuba team. It seems like the entire team is packing 20 - 50 extra pounds. No wonder they are losing. Fidel is losing control and lots of the best players have defected. They just are not the same team they were before.

I loved watching that Cuba vs Netherlands game though. Back and forth the whole game. Cuba tied them like 3 times and the Netherlands came back to win it in the 9th, even after losing 3 guys to injuries, including their 4th and 5th hitters. what a game. Every player was giving it their all.

Careful. Just mentioning Fidel will bring on the wrath of softy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Isn't Linares Cuban? His body type would certainly fit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

He is. The Sox signed him, Iglesias and Adalberto Ibarra at the same time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Haven't heard much about Ibarra.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Haven't heard much about Ibarra.

Think hes in AA this year. Wasnt he injured?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Closers with control issues are too scary for my liking.

One inning is different for some guys with control issues. Usually its because after a few innings they have trouble repeating the delivery or start overthrowing. Some are better suited to "let it fly" for one inning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Closers with control issues are too scary for my liking.

One inning is different for some guys with control issues. Usually its because after a few innings they have trouble repeating the delivery or start overthrowing. Some are better suited to "let it fly" for one inning.

Could be, but it's a big gamble to change his game at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Diamondback pitcher Brandon McCarthy has postive words about the leadership skills of Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, his teammate on last year's division-winning Oakland A's:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/nickpiecoro/2013/03/12/brandon-mccarthy-talks-leadership-analytics-miguel-montero-on-miguel-cabrera-other-stuff/

Hopefully he can lead, because he sure can't play defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

Hopefully he can lead, because he sure can't play defense.

Games are now won or lost in the clubhouse; haven't you heard?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Ok, I'm down in Fort Myers and was at the game against the Twins @ Hammond yesterday. A few observations, although I don't know if I can hold a candle to Jid's excellent posts:

* Ryan Dempster is not going to overwhelm anyone with his stuff, but he seems to be a smart veteran pitcher. I know Farrell said he was working on his secondary pitches yesterday, but I never saw his fastball top 89mph on the twins scoreboard. He would really benefit from the defense of Iglesias and JBJ, as he pitches to contact a lot.

* Daniel Bard looked pretty good after getting himself in an initial jam by putting two on w/ no out. He settled down and threw strikes and was hitting 96. You could see the relief in his shoulders when he got out of that inning without giving anything up. It is easy to root for him.

* Jose Iglesias hit the ball hard all three times up. The double down the line was his only hit, but the other two were hit harder. His 2nd AB was ripped off the pitchers foot and bounced right to an infielder.his 3rd AB he smoked one right at the 3rd basemen. It's easy to see his teammates like him and are pulling for him.

* Mike Napoli needs a lot of stretching work on those hips to get ready to play a game. He hardly threw or ran like all the others, The trainer was working on him for a long time. 

* Middlebrooks three run double was crushed and would've easily been a HR if the wind wasn't blowing in. The ball sounds nice coming off his bat.

* pedroia took time from his pre-game routine to go over and sign for some kids. Only after the game did I read that he was fighting a head cold.

* Jackie Bradley Jr is quickly developing a fan club down here in SW Florida.

Off to the beach and then jet blue tonight for first time. See you there Jid and go sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

Ok, I'm down in Fort Myers and was at the game against the Twins @ Hammond yesterday. A few observations, although I don't know if I can hold a candle to Jid's excellent posts:

* Ryan Dempster is not going to overwhelm anyone with his stuff, but he seems to be a smart veteran pitcher. I know Farrell said he was working on his secondary pitches yesterday, but I never saw his fastball top 89mph on the twins scoreboard. He would really benefit from the defense of Iglesias and JBJ, as he pitches to contact a lot.

* Daniel Bard looked pretty good after getting himself in an initial jam by putting two on w/ no out. He settled down and threw strikes and was hitting 96. You could see the relief in his shoulders when he got out of that inning without giving anything up. It is easy to root for him.

* Jose Iglesias hit the ball hard all three times up. The double down the line was his only hit, but the other two were hit harder. His 2nd AB was ripped off the pitchers foot and bounced right to an infielder.his 3rd AB he smoked one right at the 3rd basemen. It's easy to see his teammates like him and are pulling for him.

* Mike Napoli needs a lot of stretching work on those hips to get ready to play a game. He hardly threw or ran like all the others, The trainer was working on him for a long time. 

* Middlebrooks three run double was crushed and would've easily been a HR if the wind wasn't blowing in. The ball sounds nice coming off his bat.

* pedroia took time from his pre-game routine to go over and sign for some kids. Only after the game did I read that he was fighting a head cold.

* Jackie Bradley Jr is quickly developing a fan club down here in SW Florida.

Off to the beach and then jet blue tonight for first time. See you there Jid and go sox.

I envy you guys and wish I could join you.

Thanks for the updates.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Cass, look forward to meeting you tonight; I'll be wearing my jimmy fund hat. Spot on with your take on Dempster, nothing flashy but pitches to contact and throws strikes. He also works very fast, which is a trend that is getting contagious this spring. I know it's only spring training, but Doubront's first start is the only game this year at Jet Blue to last three hours.

Also spot on with regard to Iglesias; his average is stuck around .230 but he has made very good contact. He's never going to be a guy who walks much, especially batting ninth, but he's shown an ability to spank the monster, if I can say that on a family website;). He could surprise with lots of doubles this year IF IF IF he gets the chance to play.

I don't know if it's by design or not, but Bard has been used almost exclusively in road games, so I haven't seen much of him. Obviously, if he's close to what he was before the starter experiment, it's a huge lift for the pen.

I'm reading on here today about this afternoon's split squad game featuring Iggy, Bradley, Lavarnway among others and I'm dissappointed that I'm going to have to watch the "regulars" tonight. What does that tell you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

how has lavarnway looked? think he will be called on to DH a little bit with papi out??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

how has lavarnway looked? think he will be called on to DH a little bit with papi out??

I think Lava will catch FT in AAA to start the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I agree Moon. He's way behind the other catchers defensively and his offensive numbers haven't been good. Like Iggy, his at bats have been better than his numbers. He seems to have power to right and right-center, so he has had his share of 400 plus foot outs. But overall, there are more seasoned, if not more high-ceilinged, candidates for DH in Papi's absense. Aside from reworking the outfield to keep Bradley and use Gomes as the DH, the next most obvious DH candidate to me is Salty, which could keep Lavarnway in the mix until May. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Brentz just homered in his second ST at bat at Sarasota against the O's in a split-squad game. Also Vazquez just made it five-for-five in throwing out basestealers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree Moon. He's way behind the other catchers defensively and his offensive numbers haven't been good. Like Iggy, his at bats have been better than his numbers. He seems to have power to right and right-center, so he has had his share of 400 plus foot outs. But overall, there are more seasoned, if not more high-ceilinged, candidates for DH in Papi's absense. Aside from reworking the outfield to keep Bradley and use Gomes as the DH, the next most obvious DH candidate to me is Salty, which could keep Lavarnway in the mix until May. 

I see 3 main DH solutions until Papi returns:

We may see Gomes at DH FT (even against RHPs).

Another option might be to use Drew at DH and Iggy at SS.

The 3rd choice is Salty vs RHPs and Lava vs LHPs with Ross catching as much as possible and either Salty or Lava catching when Ross needs a rest.

Perhaps we could see Gomes vs LHPs and Salty vs RHPs.