Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II
posted at 3/15/2013 9:48 AM EDT
Ok, I'm down in Fort Myers and was at the game against the Twins @ Hammond yesterday. A few observations, although I don't know if I can hold a candle to Jid's excellent posts:
* Ryan Dempster is not going to overwhelm anyone with his stuff, but he seems to be a smart veteran pitcher. I know Farrell said he was working on his secondary pitches yesterday, but I never saw his fastball top 89mph on the twins scoreboard. He would really benefit from the defense of Iglesias and JBJ, as he pitches to contact a lot.
* Daniel Bard looked pretty good after getting himself in an initial jam by putting two on w/ no out. He settled down and threw strikes and was hitting 96. You could see the relief in his shoulders when he got out of that inning without giving anything up. It is easy to root for him.
* Jose Iglesias hit the ball hard all three times up. The double down the line was his only hit, but the other two were hit harder. His 2nd AB was ripped off the pitchers foot and bounced right to an infielder.his 3rd AB he smoked one right at the 3rd basemen. It's easy to see his teammates like him and are pulling for him.
* Mike Napoli needs a lot of stretching work on those hips to get ready to play a game. He hardly threw or ran like all the others, The trainer was working on him for a long time.
* Middlebrooks three run double was crushed and would've easily been a HR if the wind wasn't blowing in. The ball sounds nice coming off his bat.
* pedroia took time from his pre-game routine to go over and sign for some kids. Only after the game did I read that he was fighting a head cold.
* Jackie Bradley Jr is quickly developing a fan club down here in SW Florida.
Off to the beach and then jet blue tonight for first time. See you there Jid and go sox.