A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Boom, you can call me Polly now--or whenever you want.  First day, and our ace wins and we kick the NYY to the curb--does it really get any better?  How 'Bout them Red Sox?  Sounds like the kids, the newcomers, and the BP all did really well.  For anyone who saw the game, was there anyone who didn't play well for us?

Just an aside, was looking at some game pictures just now of the team coming off the field, and high fiving, and there was Pedey in the middle of the line with dirt from the bottom of his uniform to the top...Ha!  How perfect...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I like the hustle Bradley showed going into second base to beat the throw.  This was similar to what Nava did about a week ago to keep the inning alive.  Like I said on a different thread that it's things like this that don't show up in the box score, but are immeasurable in helping to win.

I'd rather see hustle like this than to see some guy rumble toward second as if he's dragging a piano behind him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, you can call me Polly now.  Our ace wins on opening day, the BP shuts 'em out, the kids looked good, the newbies look good, Pedey gets his uni all dirty--for those who saw the game, did any of our guys have a bad day?  And we kicked the NYY to the curb...How 'Bout them RS!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Oops!  Sorry about that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Boom, you can call me Polly now--or whenever you want.  First day, and our ace wins and we kick the NYY to the curb--does it really get any better?  How 'Bout them Red Sox?  Sounds like the kids, the newcomers, and the BP all did really well.  For anyone who saw the game, was there anyone who didn't play well for us?

Just an aside, was looking at some game pictures just now of the team coming off the field, and high fiving, and there was Pedey in the middle of the line with dirt from the bottom of his uniform to the top...Ha!  How perfect...

I expect better ABs from Napoli, but other than that. Not a complaint, more of an observation. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I expect better ABs from Napoli, but other than that. Not a complaint, more of an observation. 

He took some big swings- some at obvious balls, but it's a small sample size.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Crit ....What the heck! What a great game to watch! The subtle stuff where the team hustled and created runs. The leadership Pedroia showed. Lester stepping up and pitching better than Sabathia while getting  1/2 the calls. The pen was solid. Iglesias showing determination, skill and a brain.....

And was JBJ all that was advertised or what? That was a great game for a 1st time rookie called up from AA who was facing 2 of the toughest LH in baseball. He will experience some failure but I hope he remembers that if he keeps his head on straight and doesn't give up he can absolutely be an important part of a winning team. And I bet Gomes just creams left handed pitching all year long baby!

Crit, we are both fans and I think also on target in assessing this year's team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice start to the season. Gotta love it.

I'm watching it for the second time right now. This is fun!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

take note of the discipline salty showed. Mistake to start him against CC?? i think not!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I feel like our OF is over-qualified. It's a great feeling. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Clearly Napoli was a terrible signing and Middlebrooks needs to go back to AAA;) And Bradley was hitless, maybe he should go back as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bradley had one of the greatest hitless games ever. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Gotta love that outfield on defense, gotta love that bullpen too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Seriously, I loved the way the team played; aggressive on the bases, good solid at bats, working counts, clutch hits and clutch pitches. But the most encouraging aspect of the game was the childlike enthusiasm displayed by everyone, whether in the lineup or not, even the allegedly stoic Japanese newcomer was pumped. 

The only negative I saw was Lester slowing the game down when he got in trouble after allowing Youk's foul double (after what should have been a called third strike) and Wells' walk (also after what should have been a called third strike). His approach to the catcher, batting ninth, was too defensive and it cost him two runs. But the bigger picture is that when he pitched like that last year he failed miserably, and when he has worked quickly and aggressively he has dominated. I know it's a nit-pick, but when you have such a decisive win there really isn't much else to complain about. And besides, I've been way too optimistic throughout this pre-season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Seriously, I loved the way the team played; aggressive on the bases, good solid at bats, working counts, clutch hits and clutch pitches. But the most encouraging aspect of the game was the childlike enthusiasm displayed by everyone, whether in the lineup or not, even the allegedly stoic Japanese newcomer was pumped. 

The only negative I saw was Lester slowing the game down when he got in trouble after allowing Youk's foul double (after what should have been a called third strike) and Wells' walk (also after what should have been a called third strike). His approach to the catcher, batting ninth, was too defensive and it cost him two runs. But the bigger picture is that when he pitched like that last year he failed miserably, and when he has worked quickly and aggressively he has dominated. I know it's a nit-pick, but when you have such a decisive win there really isn't much else to complain about. And besides, I've been way too optimistic throughout this pre-season.

Showing balance, my friend...balance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

anyone think D Ross would have topped 3 walks and a double if he played today?

IK it's just one game but i think it's a sign of things to come (and what the pro-salty crowd has been pining for). He has said he is working on his swing VS lefties and on his discipline overall this ST and it showed in todays game. he had 4 great ABs. laid off of pitches he normally would have been fooled by and against one of the toughest lefties in the game no less.

2 thumbs up for Salty. Keep up the good work salt-man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

LOL... My wife and I watched it a second time also.  I thought we were the only nut cases.:)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

LOL... My wife and I watched it a second time also.  I thought we were the only nut cases.:)

i'll probably watch it again tomorrow since there is no game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How bout Iglesias with three hits? Wow. Nice start and good energy from Gomes and Victorino. Overall, heck of an opener. Let's go 162-0!!! Woo-hoo...back on the bandwagon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe the best part about today was not having to see Bobby Valentine make his idiotic expressions from the dugout. The BV era went 4 months too long, but good to see Farrell start off with a victory...He's a quality guy who the players will listen to and hopefully respond to.

If BV were manager, you would have heard this after the win, "Well, not sure why Lester looked fatigue. He only threw 5 innings. He's better than that."....thank god, that clown act is gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Maybe the best part about today was not having to see Bobby Valentine make his idiotic expressions from the dugout. The BV era went 4 months too long, but good to see Farrell start off with a victory...He's a quality guy who the players will listen to and hopefully respond to.

If BV were manager, you would have heard this after the win, "Well, not sure why Lester looked fatigue. He only threw 5 innings. He's better than that."....thank god, that clown act is gone.

Good to see you here, Danny.

I thought Shane V looked a little shaky out in RF, but he made the plays.

Nice start to the season. Take it to 'em next game, guys!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

A good thing about today's game was the fact that the Sox scored eight runs without getting anything from Napoli and Middlebrooks. I expect both to put up numbers so it's always good when a team can score a bunch of runs w/o getting production from the four-five spots.

I'll say Wednesday both get big hits that prove key.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

A good thing about today's game was the fact that the Sox scored eight runs without getting anything from Napoli and Middlebrooks. I expect both to put up numbers so it's always good when a team can score a bunch of runs w/o getting production from the four-five spots.

I'll say Wednesday both get big hits that prove key.

buch will also pitch a great game

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm certainly happy Iggy got three hits and don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I just wish the hits were a little more of the line drive variety.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Bradley had one of the greatest hitless games ever. :-)

That play he made on Cano's fly ball to left was just short of amazing. The play of the game to me though, was when Bradley beat the throw to second on that grounder to SS.

Sections
Shortcuts