A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

I noticed the same thing about Bradley on the replay--he saw the ball, turned his back, ran hard, then turned back to the ball to make the catch.  Very impressive.  He seems to exude confidence. 

It was a very nice catch. 

Anyone think Ellsbury could have caught that one he almost dived for?

Close call.

The announcer said he did the right thing rather than risk a flub, but Shane was right there. Had he missed it, it wouldn't have gone far.

i don't think he could've gotten to it even if he dove. the ball landed to his left so he would have had to dive pretty far and reach across his body to try and catch it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian?!?  I never heard of a vegetarian who is fat.   Nothing wrong with being fat but I find it hard to believe that he does not eat meat.   LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian?!?  I never heard of a vegetarian who is fat.   Nothing wrong with being fat but I find it hard to believe that he does not eat meat.   LOL

dude probably eats a gallon of mashed potatoes a night and a pound of pasta

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

I noticed the same thing about Bradley on the replay--he saw the ball, turned his back, ran hard, then turned back to the ball to make the catch.  Very impressive.  He seems to exude confidence. 

Close call.

The announcer said he did the right thing rather than risk a flub, but Shane was right there. Had he missed it, it wouldn't have gone far.

i don't think he could've gotten to it even if he dove. the ball landed to his left so he would have had to dive pretty far and reach across his body to try and catch it.

It looked like he got a good break on the ball, but the TV angle switched to the other camera at the wrong instant, and they never showed the replay with Ellsbury in the frame as the ball was hit, as they normally do on bang-bang plays.

It would have been a very difficult diving catch had he made it. I'm not criticizing him, but I do think that with the trajectory of the ball (not a lined shot), and Shane being right there to keep the ball from rolling for a triple, Ellsbury could have tried.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

It looked like he got a good break on the ball, but the TV angle switched to the other camera at the wrong instant, and they never showed the replay with Ellsbury in the frame as the ball was hit, as they normally do on bang-bang plays.

It would have been a very difficult diving catch had he made it. I'm not criticizing him, but I do think that with the trajectory of the ball (not a lined shot), and Shane being right there to keep the ball from rolling for a triple, Ellsbury could have tried.

the YES feed had a pretty good shot of the play but nothing definitive. If he did manage to catch that ball it would've been the play of the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

the YES feed had a pretty good shot of the play but nothing definitive. If he did manage to catch that ball it would've been the play of the game.

Agrred.

And that is why I am not trying to be critical here. Ells played a good game: we won. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Why did Texas let Uehara go?  What stats, what a WHIP!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

Agrred.

And that is why I am not trying to be critical here. Ells played a good game: we won. 

I saw both the Yes feed and the ESPN feed. He didn't get a fast jump on it but he had a good stretch of running full speed. The ball was off the end of the bat making it difficult to read. My feeling is possibly he could have gotten a slightly better jump but no one would have run faster to that ball and several seconds of running was involved. He went straight towards it. And it was too far away to dive for IMO. 

My gut tells me Ellsbury is going to be fine this year and have a solid year. He doesn't look as big across the top any more though. He looks like he has lost some bulk but maybe I'm wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Can't believe we wait forever for opening day and then they take a day off. I'm not happy!

It will be interesting to see how we do against Kuroda. I think Buchholz will be good. I'll pull a Softy and call a 4-3 win for us. A lot tougher call than his obvious call of yesterday.

Obviously the conditions are different for this game. We are facing a right handed pitcher who has had more recent success against us and we are not currently optimized against RH pitching. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

we displayed our need for his services made him a good offer. Meanwhile Texas was busy trying to coerce Hamilton to return to Texas. They likely didn't put much effort into resigning Koji while that ordeal was going on. So Uehara jumped at the chance. He will be an integral part of our BP this season if he can stay healthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Can't believe we wait forever for opening day and then they take a day off. I'm not happy!

It will be interesting to see how we do against Kuroda. I think Buchholz will be good. I'll pull a Softy and call a 4-3 win for us. A lot tougher call than his obvious call of yesterday.

Obviously the conditions are different for this game. We are facing a right handed pitcher who has had more recent success against us and we are not currently optimized against RH pitching. 

yeah what's up with the day off? i'm itching for some baseball lol got me all excited after that great win yesterday and now we have an unneeded day off.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

It's called free agency and a tighter budget, I guess.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Another way to "protect the home opener" is to tell the fans who have tickets to the second game, that they may get bumped if the opener is rained out.

I hate the day off too. It's killing me!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Redsoxprospects,

Close call.

You are MEF429 who was banned yesterday for your gamethread comments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's keep this one thread about baseball and the Sox, please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Let's keep this one thread about baseball and the Sox, please.

Ive reported him Moon. Hes been going to every thread doing this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nothing new for this character.

How about Tazawa being given the key set-up role so early in the season?

I wanted him to start, but I'm glad someone recognized this kid needs to be given a big chance this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wanted him to start, but I'm glad someone recognized this kid needs to be given a big chance this year.

Hes going to be a vital part of this BP and could even be a closer in another year or 2 if he continues the way hes going...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes going to be a vital part of this BP and could even be a closer in another year or 2 if he continues the way hes going...

I think he may eventually go back to starting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

With all the promising starter we have right now, do you think that would be a good idea? I would imagine that would pretty much waste a year for him stretching him out and getting accustomed to starting again. That and I dont think he will be able to sustain 95+ MPH over 7+ innings which will make his secondary pitches less effective. That was his problem before, not enough seperation between pitches.

We'll have to see how it goes, but I think he could be a great closer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

With all the promising starter we have right now, do you think that would be a good idea? I would imagine that would pretty much waste a year for him stretching him out and getting accustomed to starting again. That and I dont think he will be able to sustain 95+ MPH over 7+ innings which will make his secondary pitches less effective. That was his problem before, not enough seperation between pitches.

but he's got such nasty stuff.. if you can have him for 5+ innings a game or just 1 inning in a save situation only i'm getting my moneys worth with the kid

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

My sense is that they like the idea of bringing in Bailey when maybe there are some men on in the 6th or 7th as that is in many ways a more important gig. That is a recent trend in general in mlb and I think it makes sense. They nailed the door shut at an important time. One could make a good case that it is even more important than the closer role quite often.

They really have 4 or 5 potential closers and setup guys. This provides the depth they appear to have given more consideration to recently. Maybe to them, it is a good value. A solid pen is perhaps more cost effective than trying to go out and buy a top rotation.

I think they may be in a position at mid year to trade some of these guys to a contending team if appropriate. They may look at it as a way to obtain future prospects. Think about it. If they need depth in the pen they will have it and that resource becomes even more valuable since they went out and obtained twice as many great relievers as most teams have. Having an excess of great arms in the pen allows them a great way to obtain future prospect talent if things do not work out this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

but he's got such nasty stuff.. if you can have him for 5+ innings a game or just 1 inning in a save situation only i'm getting my moneys worth with the kid

I understand that, but read my concerns again. I doubt he can pitch 95+ through 7IP, thus less seperation with his secondary pitches. That was his issue before. We now have a lot of potentially good starters in the pipeline. To find someone who is young and can handle closing games out is different than just a regular BP guy.

I understand the value, but Im not sure it makes sense in his situation and the organizations situation. hanrahan is gone and Bailey has 1 year left. After that there is nobody to close games. Unless RDLR doesnt cut it as a starter, but that remains to be seen. We all saw what happens when you put in a reliever that isnt a true closer. Taz has closer stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

That was the arguement in favor of making Bard a starter too. I would rather see Morales, Webster, or even Aceves occasionally serve as depth for the team. You have to have good relief pitchers too.

Sections
Shortcuts