A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Back to Salty...if his defence & CERA is much improved this year, moon gets some big points for repeatedly pointing out that Varitek took a few years to be good in those areas.   

From April 25, 2012 until he was basically removed from the FT job to give Lava a long look, Salty had really improved his CERA, PB, WP and almost every area of catching defense, except CS%, which happens to be the one stat many fans cling to in order to judge a catcher's defense. I'm not sure if Salty will continue to improve, of if he improved enough already. It's hard to know how much of the poor 2012 numbers were related to the catcher CERA related issues, or if our staff just plain stunk up the place for most of the year.

I think Salty has clearly improved his blocking poor pitches skills, he seems more confident about varying pitch types and locations, and he seems like he has a better relationship with the pitchers on the mound.

I'm hoping he continues to take more pitches on offense. He chased a few bad pitches last night, but he looked pretty good the other PAs this year- small sample size not withstanding.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm still not at all sold on anything Salty does besides hit HR. He is a likeable guy though and easy to root for.

Watch closely. He may not be great, but he has improved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

What do you guys think will happen when Drew is ready to play?  Will they send Iggy down?  I hope not.  Iggy is on fire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

moon any plays tonight drew would not have made?? i didn't see any.

There was one sure fire play Iggy made that Drew only dreams of making, but Naps did not snag the grounder throw by Iggy, and they wrongly ruled it a hit.

the DP ball?

NO, Iggy dove, got up, and threw an easy grounder to Naps, who muffed it. It was a slow runner who would have been out.

It was so cold out there several guys were just mailing it in defensively. The ground was hard. A little more concentration and Iggy could easily have made that throw but no doubt the conditions were awful. Nunez was doing the same thing.

The throw could have been better, but should have been caught for the out.

Thought Iggy had more time to get his arm back on that play to make a better throw, but I agree ultimately thats on Naps. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I heard in MLB last night that Aoki of the Brewers does 3,000 sit ups a day.  WTF?!?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

What do you guys think will happen when Drew is ready to play?  Will they send Iggy down?  I hope not.  Iggy is on fire.

Unfortunately I think they send Iggy back down. But if Sox are thinking of somehow playing or dealing drew they better make sure he's ready to play. There's no need to rush him & he's missed a lot of time. 

So, If we assume that the Sox are looking to deal Drew, we also have to assume they are willing to eat some of his salary. My question is how much? Would a team take him for 7m ? Eating 2.5 ? Best case scenario ? ... Not how you think he's worth, but how much he's worth to another team in need of a capable SS. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Unfortunately I think they send Iggy back down. But if Sox are thinking of somehow playing or dealing drew they better make sure he's ready to play. There's no need to rush him & he's missed a lot of time. 

So, If we assume that the Sox are looking to deal Drew, we also have to assume they are willing to eat some of his salary. My question is how much? Would a team take him for 7m ? Eating 2.5 ? Best case scenario ? ... Not how you think he's worth, but how much he's worth to another team in need of a capable SS. 

Hello emp9   :)

This is a happy concern for the Red Sox.  I know its only been two games, but Iggy looks great.  If Iggy keeps it up then the Red Sox will have to make a decision in regards to Drew.  

Maybe the Dodgers can take Drew?    LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Hello emp9   :)

This is a happy concern for the Red Sox.  I know its only been two games, but Iggy looks great.  If Iggy keeps it up then the Red Sox will have to make a decision in regards to Drew.  

Maybe the Dodgers can take Drew?    LOL

Hey Ice Cream! Haha... I don't think we'll be hearing from the Dodgers in a real long time. ;)

Yeah, it's a great problem just hope it ends up right. 

Do you think we sweep tonight? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

moon, i know what play you are talking about now and disagree that drew would not have made it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hey emp9   :)

Yes, I believe the Red Sox will sweep the Yankees tonight.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Tigers closer blew the game today.... moon 
    how about Bailey/Elles for Porcello and another good player?  Then put Bradley in center and see how it all unfolds.

Tigers sign Valverde to minor league contract. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

moon any plays tonight drew would not have made?? i didn't see any.

There was one sure fire play Iggy made that Drew only dreams of making, but Naps did not snag the grounder throw by Iggy, and they wrongly ruled it a hit.

the DP ball?

NO, Iggy dove, got up, and threw an easy grounder to Naps, who muffed it. It was a slow runner who would have been out.

It was so cold out there several guys were just mailing it in defensively. The ground was hard. A little more concentration and Iggy could easily have made that throw but no doubt the conditions were awful. Nunez was doing the same thing.

The throw could have been better, but should have been caught for the out.

Thought Iggy had more time to get his arm back on that play to make a better throw, but I agree ultimately thats on Naps. 

Agreed. It wasn't all Naps fault, but the throw looked like a routine grounder a little to naps left. It should have easily been snagged for an out.

Sidenote: the scorer ruled it a hit: further evidence that all stats are influenced by human subjectiveness to some extent, and home field scorers tend to be generous to their own team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think most of the league knows what they will be getting, if they trade for Drew. You are right, though, that he may have to play a bit to prove he's over the concussion, but it shouldn't be long.

I think it's sad that here we are after 2 games, and already wanting to trade Drew. I think the more Iggy plays, the more some posters will be awakened to the huge plus a great ranged SS can be to a team's chances of winning. Personally, I don't think he needs to hit well to keep the FT role, but sadly he must. Even if he's hitting .300+, it might not be enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, i know what play you are talking about now and disagree that drew would not have made it.

Come on! There no way Drew even gets a glove on that ball.

The ball was nearly past Iggy when he snagged it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i don't know moon.... just went back and watched it agian. I think Drew would get to the ball.. and he probably would've made a better throw too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have some depth at SS and that is great. We have options on Iglesias. We can send him down for more work on his bat and have him ready to step in if needed. He can still use more development and I think the point made in the Globe that Drew's help with lineup balance is significant. This team is weaker against RH pitching. Drew should help with that.

Most of us would prefer Iglesias with the big club but it's not going to happen and that is not all bad. We have depth and that is important. At a very important position.

Now if Bogaerts tears it up this spring maybe we are in a different situation later this summer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

A few years back some posters said Iglesias wasn't that fast.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/a-small-assortment-of-batter-times-to-first/

Gardner swinging infield hit  3.9s

Crawford  same 4.3s

Jeff Rutledge RHH bunting fastest time so far this year  3.67s

Iglesias bunting 3.77s and he slows up.

As the times from Arizona Fall League showed he is fast. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i don't know moon.... just went back and watched it agian. I think Drew would get to the ball.. and he probably would've made a better throw too.

I give up. I will no longer discuss this issue with you. You do not watch the same games I do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I give up. I will no longer discuss this issue with you. You do not watch the same games I do.

LOL. i'll give it to you if you really protest that much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No mas. It's over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

No mas. It's over.

suit yourself. i'll keep track by myself Tongue Out

taking my ball and im going home

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

I've been watching for jumps to the ball by outfielders on both teams and replaying it about five times from the replay angle of behind the plate. In every situation, it appears that the outfielder is already in motion by the time that he is in view on the replay. He may have taken 4-8 steps before we see said outfielder.

Moon had to be joking when he said that he saw Ellsbury not leaning towards the plate on contact the other night. Me thinks that Moon likes to do Softlaw. That is like saying that you saw Ellsbury scratching his rear end when contact was made. This however is what makes the forum interesting. Bogus baloney.

Not many replays show the third base runner as the batter makes contact.  But if Moonslav saw it , it must be true.  After all , he is all knowing. He is our leader , our elder statesman. He must never be questioned , even when posting bogus baloney.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've been watching for jumps to the ball by outfielders on both teams and replaying it about five times from the replay angle of behind the plate. In every situation, it appears that the outfielder is already in motion by the time that he is in view on the replay. He may have taken 4-8 steps before we see said outfielder.

Moon had to be joking when he said that he saw Ellsbury not leaning towards the plate on contact the other night. Me thinks that Moon likes to do Softlaw. That is like saying that you saw Ellsbury scratching his rear end when contact was made. This however is what makes the forum interesting. Bogus baloney.

Watch the replay. It clearly shows Ellsbury was not moving towards home when the pitch was reaching the bat. He had to start running from zero mph. It is clearly on the replay. What's bogus is that refuse to see reality for what it is: sometimes Sox players do not play like the Gods you think they are.

I have not seen Ellsbury get one slow break on any fly ball this year. I have not seen him take one wrong route this year. I have watched every play of every game. Some plays were not shown from the right angle to judge. 4-8 steps? Now, that is bogus.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Not many replays show the third base runner as the batter makes contact.  But if Moonslav saw it , it must be true.  After all , he is all knowing. He is our leader , our elder statesman. He must never be questioned , even when posting bogus baloney.

I just watched it again on replay. It shows the pitch and the runner from 2 different angles. Ellsbury was not even leaning towards home as the pitch reached hom plate.

Two angles guys.

Before you spew nonsensse, at least go back and watch the play from both angles, then admit it is your bogus baloney and your "arrogance" that won't allow you to see truth if it knocks you upside your noggin.

Sections
Shortcuts