A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  

1) We are not sure if BM was interested in us or not.

2) You may be right that we were never interested in him, but that is what I mean about you thinking that should end the debate.

My position was that we should have been interested, because I obviously liked BM more than Ben did. That was the crux of the debate. You feel like since Ben was never interested 9assuming he wasn't), me going on and on about why I felt we should have made an offer is useless.

The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  

He and a few others I mentioned have been worse than brutal. The main point about BM was that I felt we could have gotten him for 3-4 years at the same cost as Dempster for 2. And, I was basically writing off this year's chances.

You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

Crawford chose to sign here, so I'm not sure his example fits, but I get your point.

I have never pretended to be an expert, but I do feel most of the players I have suggested we try and acquire have gone on to play well. I have been very supportive of many moves by our past GMs. I defended Dan D more than maybe anyone here. I was never part of the dump Theo brigade, although I was more and more critical of his moves after the Nomar deal.

I have said many times that Ben deserves a chance to let his plan play out, and so far, it has looked very good.

I have had and will continue to have no problem admitting when I was wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Messrs. Moon and Connecticut Hugh : I respectfully disagree re your takes  on Felix The Cat Doubront. Strike-throwing lefties with gas are very valuable in the long term, and homegrown ( therefore inexpensive ) ones are often pure gold. Historically they often take 2-3 years to overcome wildness ( see Koufax, Randy Johnson, even Glavine to a lesser extent).

This year ST was scheduled to start early AND extend longer than normal due to WBC , plus many Latin players consider ST the time to GET in shape. Perhaps a cultural thing ? Pedro Martinez made some relevant comments  this year in Fla.

Remember that due to injuries Doubront is a really young 25 in terms of ML innings pitched. His BB rate IS too high, but his hits allowed in 2013 are down significantly from (sm.sam.sz.) his career, and his WHIP reflects this. His K/ I.P. #'s are fabulous , and mid-order hitters seem to fail against him inordinately vs. top-  and bottom-order hitters . Concentration / bearing down when necessary ?

His last start's 2nd inning-on turnaround suggests increasing maturity and resolve to me ( though it could've just been luck). Not saying he'll ever be another Koufax or Randy J. but give the kid a break. A 12-15 win 200 inning 200 strikeout Number 4 starter is still pretty darn good, especially for $ 520 K per year !

And if he DOES magically transform into a Cy Young candidate as I predicted in ST, look out !

Remember a week ago I said expect Ranaudo to clearly emerge as best arm in our AA group.( As in before the recent big dominant start).

1) YOU MEAN "BALL THROWING LEFTIES" RIGHT?

2) His injuries can be partially blamed on poor conditioning of his own doing.

3) Nobody doubts the fact that Doubront has the talent to be an ace. You are not alone on that, but countless pitchers have had the talent, but never even became a good #5 starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm sure the draft pick played into the choice, but the fact is, it was a choice, and some here feel like debating that choice was and is nonsense or a waste of time.

Obviously you're referring to me, and just because I try to explain to you why a certain player isn't an option, it doesn't mean it can't be debated.  Case in point, Brandon McCarthy.  You literally posted 100 times how the Sox should sign him, when it was clear there was no mutual  interest.  

1) We are not sure if BM was interested in us or not.

2) You may be right that we were never interested in him, but that is what I mean about you thinking that should end the debate.

My position was that we should have been interested, because I obviously liked BM more than Ben did. That was the crux of the debate. You feel like since Ben was never interested 9assuming he wasn't), me going on and on about why I felt we should have made an offer is useless.

The Sox seem to be right on him, as he has been pretty brutal.  

He and a few others I mentioned have been worse than brutal. The main point about BM was that I felt we could have gotten him for 3-4 years at the same cost as Dempster for 2. And, I was basically writing off this year's chances.

You never even acknowledged that the line drive to the face and subsequent surgery was even a concern, but it definitely was.  Also, he told his agent he wanted to stay out west and the Sox aren't going to overpay for guys who would rather be somewhere else anymore. A lesson they clearly learned with Crawford & Gonzalez. 

Crawford chose to sign here, so I'm not sure his example fits, but I get your point.

I have never pretended to be an expert, but I do feel most of the players I have suggested we try and acquire have gone on to play well. I have been very supportive of many moves by our past GMs. I defended Dan D more than maybe anyone here. I was never part of the dump Theo brigade, although I was more and more critical of his moves after the Nomar deal.

I have said many times that Ben deserves a chance to let his plan play out, and so far, it has looked very good.

I have had and will continue to have no problem admitting when I was wrong.

Moon, Crawford has said he received a ton of pressure to take the Sox' deal because of the money.  The Angels were his option B at the time, but the difference in money was too great.  A lot of people who knew Crawford questioned whether he could handle this market.  You can read how the Crawford deal went down with Theo calling JH in the middle of the night in London and you'll realize it was pretty much an "impulse buy."  Yes, they investigated him pretty thoroughly that offseason, as they do most players they have interest in, but Theo never would have signed him prior to that offseason, as that was the pinnacle of "Feeding the Monster."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, Crawford has said he received a ton of pressure to take the Sox' deal because of the money.  The Angels were his option B at the time, but the difference in money was too great.  A lot of people who knew Crawford questioned whether he could handle this market.  You can read how the Crawford deal went down with Theo calling JH in the middle of the night in London and you'll realize it was pretty much an "impulse buy."  Yes, they investigated him pretty thoroughly that offseason, as they do most players they have interest in, but Theo never would have signed him prior to that offseason, as that was the pinnacle of "Feeding the Monster."

I get your point and do not necesarily disagree, but there are plenty of players that do well in places they prefer not to be, but my guess is we really only hear about the ones that fail.

Renteria was another example.

I can think of Manny, who almost immediately had second thoughts while the ink was still wet on the contract, yet he not only survived, he helped lead us to 2 rings.

I also think CC would have eventually regained form here in Boston, but we'll never know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I get your point and do not necesarily disagree, but there are plenty of players that do well in places they prefer not to be, but my guess is we really only hear about the ones that fail.

I can think of Manny, who almost immediately had second thoughts while the ink was still wet on the contract, yet he not only survived, he helped lead us to 2 rings.

I also think CC would have eventually regained form here in Boston, but we'll never know.

I agree that Crawford may have come around and that the Sox figured they had no choice but to hope he did.  I also heard Beckett and Gonzalez weren't coming back after last season no matter what.

Schilling was talking about Manny yesterday and he mentioned that anyone who played with him could write a book.  I hung out with Mark Malaska on St. Paddy's Day in Newport in '06 and he was telling tons of Manny stories and he was only with the Sox for a brief time.  Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now. 

Not sure if you remember, but the Sox/Manny negotiations were played on ESPN.  They both agreed to allow cameras in the suite.  I remember actually feeling bad for Duquette.  He was a mess.  The Sox lost Mussina to the Yankees, so they went hard after Manny.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember being so pumped up getting Manny. Knowing we finally got a hitter in the clutch.

He may have done better elsewhere, but he was good enough here for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Messrs. Moon and Connecticut Hugh : I respectfully disagree re your takes  on Felix The Cat Doubront. Strike-throwing lefties with gas are very valuable in the long term, and homegrown ( therefore inexpensive ) ones are often pure gold. Historically they often take 2-3 years to overcome wildness ( see Koufax, Randy Johnson, even Glavine to a lesser extent).

This year ST was scheduled to start early AND extend longer than normal due to WBC , plus many Latin players consider ST the time to GET in shape. Perhaps a cultural thing ? Pedro Martinez made some relevant comments  this year in Fla.

Remember that due to injuries Doubront is a really young 25 in terms of ML innings pitched. His BB rate IS too high, but his hits allowed in 2013 are down significantly from (sm.sam.sz.) his career, and his WHIP reflects this. His K/ I.P. #'s are fabulous , and mid-order hitters seem to fail against him inordinately vs. top-  and bottom-order hitters . Concentration / bearing down when necessary ?

His last start's 2nd inning-on turnaround suggests increasing maturity and resolve to me ( though it could've just been luck). Not saying he'll ever be another Koufax or Randy J. but give the kid a break. A 12-15 win 200 inning 200 strikeout Number 4 starter is still pretty darn good, especially for $ 520 K per year !

And if he DOES magically transform into a Cy Young candidate as I predicted in ST, look out !

Remember a week ago I said expect Ranaudo to clearly emerge as best arm in our AA group.( As in before the recent big dominant start).

3) Nobody doubts the fact that Doubront has the talent to be an ace. You are not alone on that, but countless pitchers have had the talent, but never even became a good #5 starter.

You may be accurate, but could have at least acknowledged 2013's vastly improved hits / innings pitched rate, microscopic change lower in WHIP, and absence of HR allowed.

Not all players take off-season condtioning that seriously, and Felix IS a left-hander.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I agree that Crawford may have come around and that the Sox figured they had no choice but to hope he did.  I also heard Beckett and Gonzalez weren't coming back after last season no matter what.

Schilling was talking about Manny yesterday and he mentioned that anyone who played with him could write a book.  I hung out with Mark Malaska on St. Paddy's Day in Newport in '06 and he was telling tons of Manny stories and he was only with the Sox for a brief time.  Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now. 

Not sure if you remember, but the Sox/Manny negotiations were played on ESPN.  They both agreed to allow cameras in the suite.  I remember actually feeling bad for Duquette.  He was a mess.  The Sox lost Mussina to the Yankees, so they went hard after Manny.  

"Malaska had his '04 ring on, but after hanging out with him for a day, my guess is he lost it by now."

TOO fuuny....LOL 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You may be accurate, but could have at least acknowledged 2013's vastly improved hits / innings pitched rate, microscopic change lower in WHIP, and absence of HR allowed.

Yes, his H/9 rate has gone down by slightly more than his BB/9 has gone up.  BBs are bettter to allow than hits, so there has been a slight overall imprpovement, but forgive me if I never ever gush over any pitcher who walks 5 guys per 9 IP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good to see Gomes get a couple hits and a BB. His OBP is now at .377, so that .208 BA is not as bad as it looks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew's OBP is now up to .290 after a horrific start to 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli, Uehara and Dempster going back to Arlington.  I think the Rangers crowd will cheer for them (unlike Hamilton).   LOL

I expect Boston to win two out of three in this series.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Good to see Gomes get a couple hits and a BB. His OBP is now at .377, so that .208 BA is not as bad as it looks.

To quote Brad Pitt (Billy Beane) in the movie, "Moneyball",

"But he gets on base!!!"   LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Yes, his H/9 rate has gone down by slightly more than his BB/9 has gone up.  BBs are bettter to allow than hits, so there has been a slight overall imprpovement, but forgive me if I never ever gush over any pitcher who walks 5 guys per 9 IP.

Guess we'll have to stop quibbling. We're both right , just glass half/full versus half/empty. As a recovering Expos fan I remember RHP Floyd Youmans , part of Hubie Brooks for Gary Carter deal w' Mets. Youmans had short relatively undistinguished career, but in best year was almost impossible to hit yet walked the clubhouse, LOL. However I believe he beat Gooden TWICE the year Doc was 24-4.

Men already on base only advance at most one base from a BB, versus 1-3 from a hit. What was your take on my Mike Carp as potential 2002 model D. Ortiz on softy's Carp thread ?  As someone who examines stats and historical parallels I value your opinions over most posters hereabouts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Men already on base only advance at most one base from a BB, versus 1-3 from a hit. What was your take on my Mike Carp as potential 2002 model D. Ortiz on softy's Carp thread ?  As someone who examines stats and historical parallels I value your opinions over most posters hereabouts.

I don't see it, but you never know. 

Althoughb the Twins let Papi walk, he had shown signs of being a hitter while with them... over longer periods of time than Carp has in 2013. Papi had almost 1700 PAs in MN with an OPS over .800 and was pretty concistent in limited (platoon) duty there in several small sample size seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Guess we'll have to stop quibbling. We're both right , just glass half/full versus half/empty. As a recovering Expos fan I remember RHP Floyd Youmans , part of Hubie Brooks for Gary Carter deal w' Mets. Youmans had short relatively undistinguished career, but in best year was almost impossible to hit yet walked the clubhouse, LOL. However I believe he beat Gooden TWICE the year Doc was 24-4.

Any new thoughts on Doubie after tonights game?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Very very ugly outing for Doub.  And certainly one that raises questions about his place in the rotation.  He has to do much much better his next couple of starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Yes . Loss of velocity is VERY troubling , unless just a blip / bad night. Will you be satisfied with only his immediate outright release ?  Or forced return to Boston in chains, pending public execution, lol ?  Since no remaining options , I believe.

We may see Webster back up much sooner than many ( including me ) would prefer. Also, read & comment : Player D : 1693  Pl. Ap. 266 / 348 / 461......Player C : 639 Pl. Ap.  265 /336 /442.     Similiar ?   ( cheated & included 2013's  #'s for player C )  But the major eye-opener to me was age & timing of " breakout " or "put it all together " years by both players in A+ , AA , and AAA levels. C was consistently one year older than D at each perceived " leap forward ".
    Am probably reaching here, but what if ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Very very ugly outing for Doub.  And certainly one that raises questions about his place in the rotation.  He has to do much much better his next couple of starts.

Ive been all in for giving Doubie the BOTD, but with a close eye on him. His drop in velocity and lack of control are a BIG concern for me. He did come into camp out of shape and with an existing shoulder issue that got him off to a slow start. I imagine he will be examined, and if nothing is found, he will make his next start against the twinkies next week. I do believe we will see Webster called up sooner rather than later by the way things look as of right now.

Hopefully its nothing serious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good job by Wilson and Mortsensen mopping up last night for 4.1 innings, saving all our better bullpen arms and giving us a better chance to win tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes . Loss of velocity is VERY troubling , unless just a blip / bad night. Will you be satisfied with only his immediate outright release ?  Or forced return to Boston in chains, pending public execution, lol ?  Since no remaining options , I believe.

Come on. I'm not even for replacing Doubront right now.

I have continually said I think there is still plenty of time to get his act together, and since I thought this was a "bridge year", I was not concerned about him using this season as a testing ground to work on improving his WHIP, or most natably his BB/9.

We do not know if Doubront will follow the Lester model and turn it around any second now. I'm OK with waiting it out, but if this team continues to play well and look like serious contenders, then a move may need to be made to replace Doubront. Even if that day comes sooner than I think, I'd never cut Doubront. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By the way, my view on Doubront did not change one bit after last night. I do not judge by one game, one week, or one month sample sizes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His average line in 5 starts this year:

5.1 IP  6H  3 BB

It's only 5 starts, so I'm not making any definitive judgements, but I'm not encouraged by the trend (1.704 WHIP this year).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Moon.....I know you're not one to panic or overreact, just couldn't help injecting a little humor. But some around here probably do wish to trade him for a warm sixpack, forthwith.

This whole surprise early contention when we're supposedly re-building thing can really complicate strategic planning , huh ?   Shorter leash on underperformers , probable rushing of valuable prospect's development, even potential trades of prospects to fill holes at July deadline.

Just ONE example :  IF we could somehow sign Ellsbury to a contract before mid-July ( and we'd need the time to evaluate offer size ) I'd be okay trading Bradley Jr, Barnes, and some combo of lesser pieces for a serious power-hitting r/h outfielder . 

It will be a very exciting next 2 and 1/2 months as Ben C. attempts to plot the best course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon.....I know you're not one to panic or overreact, just couldn't help injecting a little humor. But some around here probably do wish to trade him for a warm sixpack, forthwith.

This whole surprise early contention when we're supposedly re-building thing can really complicate strategic planning , huh ?   Shorter leash on underperformers , probable rushing of valuable prospect's development, even potential trades of prospects to fill holes at July deadline.

Just ONE example :  IF we could somehow sign Ellsbury to a contract before mid-July ( and we'd need the time to evaluate offer size ) I'd be okay trading Bradley Jr, Barnes, and some combo of lesser pieces for a serious power-hitting r/h outfielder . 

It will be a very exciting next 2 and 1/2 months as Ben C. attempts to plot the best course.

I'm not for extending Ellsbury at anywhere near what he will be demanding or getting eventually.

I was fine with trading JBJ this past winter (see my J Upton offers). His ST did get me excited, and I did want him as our starting CF'er in 2013, but only after spending the required amount of time in AAA to gain the extra year of team control.

I'd think harder about trading Barnes. I'd look to trade Brentz, Coyle, Britton, Lavarnway, but most pitchers should not be traded unless the return is higher.

Sections
Shortcuts