A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

Iggy's instincts for charging the ball and sure-handed plays seem to be working from 3rd at the moment in a pinch. I don't care how he gets on base as long as he keeps doing it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Iglesias has looked better hitting this year in the majors. Hitting with a lot more confidence. He hasn't looked good but he has looked better. Also, on that DP attempt at 3rd yesterday where he flipped the ball to 2nd. It looked to me like he almost pulled that off. It looked like Ciriaco didn't live up to his end of that transaction although it would have been extremely difficulut to pull off. 

Iglesias has the best defensive hands I've ever seen. At SS or anywhere else. A decent arm also.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Iglesias has looked better hitting this year in the majors. Hitting with a lot more confidence. He hasn't looked good but he has looked better. Also, on that DP attempt at 3rd yesterday where he flipped the ball to 2nd. It looked to me like he almost pulled that off. It looked like Ciriaco didn't live up to his end of that transaction although it would have been extremely difficulut to pull off. 

Iglesias has the best defensive hands I've ever seen. At SS or anywhere else. A decent arm also.

Lets call Iggy's offense very fortunate this year = the bounces have gone his way. But he will need to start squaring the ball up a lot better to keep this up. A 9% line drive rate not going to keep his [thanks ct rs] avg where it is very long. He keeps up this pace how long before Maddon brings in 1 of his OF'ers to play infield vs. Iggy? As for best defenive hands ever, might be a little early for that, maybe you are too young to remember Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel both were pretty good in their own right. Iggy is goo defensvely, but will need much larger sample size defensively before mentioning him w/ those guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As strange as it sounds, our best infield now might be with Drew at short, Iggy at third and Middlebrooks not playing.  Drew's OPS is now .729 compared to WMB's .642.  For the month of May, Drew's OPS is .871. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

As strange as it sounds, our best infield now might be with Drew at short, Iggy at third and Middlebrooks not playing.  Drew's OPS is now .729 compared to WMB's .642.  For the month of May, Drew's OPS is .871. 

I agree and also think Middy's injury has allowed Iggy the same opportunity to play every day and possibly prove himself, as Middy received when Youk went down.  The more Iggy plays 3B and well the better our team will be.  I also feel Gomes should never see another RHP as long as Carp keeps playing well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

initially I wanted Drew at third, but the more I think about it the better decision I think this is.  This is temporary and Drew will be back at short when WMB comes back to play third.  So it makes since to keep Drew at short.  Drew has also been better than expected defensively at third this year, and Iglesias will play third better than Drew will.

Yes I understand statistically more balls are hit to short; so perhaps it would be a better idea to play Drew at third and Iglesias at SS if this was a season long issue.  This is only an issue for a few weeks, so Iggy has to go to third.

If Iggy keeps on playing well then I think there is a good chance he replaces Ciarco as the utility guy, and if he is going to be the utility man then he needs to play more than just one infield position; making Iggy's reps at 3rd all the more relevant. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Guys, I am a happy camper this morning with the RS back in 1st and having fought back from their first rough stretch.  This shows they've got some grit and won't fold at the first sign of trouble.  Good to see Iggy and Aceves up and contributing.  Those two doing well is nothing but positive for the future--for us or for a trade.  These guys are actually fun to watch and root for and have made me rethink the idea of team chemistry and managers setting a tone.  It may have been "a perfect storm" of things gone wrong last year, but this change is refreshing. 

Hey Moon, I'm the guy pining for Masterson and his losses won't fail to spruce me up.  I think he's one of those guys who might be better at long relief than starting, and I love his arm. 

By the by, Eric Chavez, Diamonbacks.  He's doing great, and I bring him up because I suggested him for a bench role for us.  I don't rue stuff that doesn't happen, but he's the type of veteran that I think BC looks for... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy belongs at SS not 3B. It's really a joke to put someone that great at SS out of position. I get that necessity says Drew can't play 3B, but this just seems so wrong on so many levels.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Moon, I'm the guy pining for Masterson and his losses won't fail to spruce me up.  I think he's one of those guys who might be better at long relief than starting, and I love his arm. 

I like Masterson too, but not enough to trade what some have suggested for him (or undo the trade we made).

By the by, Eric Chavez, Diamonbacks.  He's doing great, and I bring him up because I suggested him for a bench role for us.  I don't rue stuff that doesn't happen, but he's the type of veteran that I think BC looks for... 

We could have used Chavez last year and this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Iggy belongs at SS not 3B. It's really a joke to put someone that great at SS out of position. I get that necessity says Drew can't play 3B, but this just seems so wrong on so many levels.

The rookie moves over for the vetran in this situation. easy as that.

When I said he looks better at the plate, I ts because he does. He looks a lot better than last year. Hes more selective with his pitches. He will still swing at some balls he shouldnt, but a lot less than he was. He looks muchmore confident too. Its True, the GB rate is high, but they are more solid shots rather than softly hit balls that find a hole. I agree he needs to get more lift on his ball to increase the LD rate, but to say he doesnt look better at the plate is just outright wrong. Does he look better? Yes. Can he improve? Yes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So wrong on so many levels?  That seems a little dramatic.  Drew and Iggy are both playing well and we're winning games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The rookie moves over for the vetran in this situation. easy as that.

When I said he looks better at the plate, I ts because he does. He looks a lot better than last year. Hes more selective with his pitches. He will still swing at some balls he shouldnt, but a lot less than he was. True, the GB rate is high, but they are more solid shots rather than softly hit balls that find a hole. I agree he needs to get more lift on his ball to increase the LD rate, but to say he doesnt look better at the plate is just outright wrong. Does he look better? Yes. Can he improve? Yes.

So far this year at Pawtucket Iglesias is batting .202/.581. Until that improves-a lot-he is not going to get a chance to stay in the majors permanently.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Iggy's .202 at Pawtucket this year looks poor, but I don't think it reflects his ability at this point.  He hit .266 last year in 3 times as many AB's.  And I don't think he's gotten worse. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Iggy's probably going to get more infield hits, bunt hits, and dribblers than some hitters.  I don't care how pretty someone is as long as they get on.  If he's as good a bunter as I've heard, then he could cause some havoc in the line-up, help us play for one run if we need it.  Personally I'm hoping someone needs a SS before the year is over, and we make a trade of Iggy or Drew, whichever one we don't see in our future.

Remember that SS we couldn't live without a few years back, I think he came from the Dodgers and was going to be a great offensive threat, except that he didn't work out at all, and ended up somewhere in the minors where he hit somebody with a bat.  Point being, predicting someone's success isn't a science, and many guys who hit so-so in the minors actually hit better in majors.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Iglesias is definitely not the answer at 3rd but he should fill Ciarico's slot very well. It's not like we can get much for Ciriaco but dropping a half mil here and there helps especially if the team improves in the process. We are going to have to give Iglesias mlb PT in order for him to improve at some point. I like the concept of phasing him in. Who knows, he might even be able to take Drew's slot next year. At minimum he should be one heck of a defensive infield reserve.

We need Middlebrooks to come back strong. He should be able to at some point. He is just missing a lot of balls which he used to clean out. We need to ride that horse until he proves he can't play, or can play at the mlb level. He should get at least another 100 AB to me. If he doesn't cut it we need to know that this year.

Gotta say with JBJ now hitting .360 with over a .460 OBP and great defense in 71 AAA AB, I think I'd start trying to find a slot for him. The kid is more than just a hitter and sometimes we lose sight of that. He is a potential all star level player. I'd strongly consider trading someone and bring the kid back up and let him play. Be it Gomes, Nava, Carp or Victorino. Sell one of them high hopefully but the kid is ready. As ready as any of those guys, and I'm a fan of all of them. Let's get some value for our excess talent.

I'd bring up Lavarnway also. Trade some of these guys and go with the kids when they show that they are probably ready.  If for some reason a catcher gets hurt we would still have Vasquez as back up and he's been doing fine in AA. If we are down an OF we still have guys like Brentz and Hazelbacker. We are going to lose some of these guys in the rule 5 draft anyway if we don't trade them or use them at the mlb level. 

We are too risk averse sometimes. We have to give kids a chance or we lose them with no value. I think JBJ and Lavarnway could step in right now and help us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why carry 3 catchers on the 25-man roster? Salty and Ross have been doing a good job this year so far. Saltys offense has been a lot better this year too. I dont agree with changing things that are currently working.

Ellsbury, Nava and Vic (when healthy) have been pretty solid and Carp has been about as good a bench guy you can ask for. Gomes is struggling, but still has a good OBP.
    Not going to get anything for Gomes and not much either for Carp, being bench guys. Ells is going nowhere and I dont think you can move Vic right now either without losing your azz. Also, I like Nava, who has improved every time hes got a chance here. Hes under control for 4.5 more years.

I agree that some of these kids are ready, but, IMO, that doesnt mean they should automatically come up and the Sox should move guys that are doing good because of that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why carry 3 catchers on the 25-man roster? Salty and Ross have been doing a good job this year so far. Saltys offense has been a lot better this year too. I dont agree with changing things that are currently working.

Ellsbury, Nava and Vic (when healthy) have been pretty solid and Carp has been about as good a bench guy you can ask for. Gomes is struggling, but still has a good OBP.
    Not going to get anything for Gomes and not much either for Carp, being bench guys. Ells is going nowhere and I dont think you can move Vic right now either without losing your azz. Also, I like Nava, who has improved every time hes got a chance here. Hes under control for 4.5 more years.

I agree that some of these kids are ready, but, IMO, that doesnt mean they should automatically come up and the Sox should move guys that are doing good because of that.

Great points, but trading guys is not giving them away. 

If we trade Salty for a player that is better, what's wrong with that?

The drop off from a Salty/Ross tandem to a Ross/Lava tandem must be weighed vs the other positional gain we get in return for the trade.

I realize that the chances are a trade of Salty would most likely be for a prospect, so we gain nothing for 2013, but there is a chance we trade for a player that fills a greater need.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So wrong on so many levels?  That seems a little dramatic.  Drew and Iggy are both playing well and we're winning games.

Yes. As wrong as it was to put JBJ in LF and the inferior Ellsbury in CF.

Many levels.

Not dramatics.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Many levels.

Not dramatics.

I think it's only a short-term situation while WMB is on the shelf.

But I have to ask, what are the 'many levels'?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

Iglesias is definitely not the answer at 3rd but he should fill Ciarico's slot very well. It's not like we can get much for Ciriaco but dropping a half mil here and there helps especially if the team improves in the process. We are going to have to give Iglesias mlb PT in order for him to improve at some point. I like the concept of phasing him in. Who knows, he might even be able to take Drew's slot next year. At minimum he should be one heck of a defensive infield reserve.

We need Middlebrooks to come back strong. He should be able to at some point. He is just missing a lot of balls which he used to clean out. We need to ride that horse until he proves he can't play, or can play at the mlb level. He should get at least another 100 AB to me. If he doesn't cut it we need to know that this year.

Gotta say with JBJ now hitting .360 with over a .460 OBP and great defense in 71 AAA AB, I think I'd start trying to find a slot for him. The kid is more than just a hitter and sometimes we lose sight of that. He is a potential all star level player. I'd strongly consider trading someone and bring the kid back up and let him play. Be it Gomes, Nava, Carp or Victorino. Sell one of them high hopefully but the kid is ready. As ready as any of those guys, and I'm a fan of all of them. Let's get some value for our excess talent.

I'd bring up Lavarnway also. Trade some of these guys and go with the kids when they show that they are probably ready.  If for some reason a catcher gets hurt we would still have Vasquez as back up and he's been doing fine in AA. If we are down an OF we still have guys like Brentz and Hazelbacker. We are going to lose some of these guys in the rule 5 draft anyway if we don't trade them or use them at the mlb level. 

We are too risk averse sometimes. We have to give kids a chance or we lose them with no value. I think JBJ and Lavarnway could step in right now and help us.

We could really use one more solid starting pitcher and/or bat. 

I would package Salty soon while his stock is highest,  Keep Ross who knows the staff and giv Lav more playing time.  I also feel with the small role Gomes has played in our present success it would be a great opportunity to slip Brentz into his slot if anyone had interest Jonny.  The big question with any trade with a club thats doing well is ...  Would it mess with our present chemistry? 

Besides Gomes and Salty we also have Ciriaco, Doubront, Aceves, Mortenson, Breslow, Hazelbaker, Snyder, Holt, Almanzar, Workman, Sutton, Henry etc. that teams could have interest in, without losing Renaudo, Barnes, Webster, De La Rosa, Bradley or Bogy.  With that said I would still be willing to lose one of our four top young pitching prospects if the return was high enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The drop off from a Salty/Ross tandem to a Ross/Lava tandem must be weighed vs the other positional gain we get in return for the trade.

I realize that the chances are a trade of Salty would most likely be for a prospect, so we gain nothing for 2013, but there is a chance we trade for a player that fills a greater need.

Oh, Ive always said if it makes the team better, than thats a good trade. My point was I dont think we would get something that would make us better right now to replace Salty, which is what we would need IMO. We would be weaker at the position. I think with Vasquez climbing the ranks, Lavarnway would be the better one to trade IMO. He would net us a much better return and it wouldnt matter if the player helped us this year or in the near future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many levels.

Not dramatics.

I think it's only a short-term situation while WMB is on the shelf.

But I have to ask, what are the 'many levels'?

1) Iggy is perhaps the best fielding SS the Red Sox have ever had. Making him play 3B is absurd.

2) Drew could have practiced at 3B, and been moved there.

3) Iggy should be the starting SS over Drew even with WMB healthy. (I've listed my reasons enough already.)

4) Drew's lack of range, but quickness and steady glove and arm seem more suited for 3B than SS even if the Iggy debate wasn't being played out.

5) Iggy's confidence has been shaky. This isn't helping.

6) Drew is gone after this year (if not earlier via trade), so his confidence is not as big an issue.

There may be more, but that's a few levels anyways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Those are different reasons, but not different levels. Laughing

Sorry man, I just think that 'many levels' expression is a little overused these days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oh, Ive always said if it makes the team better, than thats a good trade. My point was I dont think we would get something that would make us better right now to replace Salty, which is what we would need IMO. We would be weaker at the position. I think with Vasquez climbing the ranks, Lavarnway would be the better one to trade IMO. He would net us a much better return and it wouldnt matter if the player helped us this year or in the near future.

A team that needs a catcher right now or a bat vs RHPs would give more for Salty than Lava. A team building for the future would prefer Lava, unless they would extend Salty.

Since Salty is a FA after this year, his value is lessened, but how many teams have a catcher with a .912 OPS vs RHPs this year? (2) or an OPS of ,808 vs RHPs since 2012? (4) or an overall OPS better than .756? (10)

Desperation makes GMs overpay at the deadline.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A team that needs a catcher right now or a bat vs RHPs would give more for Salty than Lava. A team building for the future would prefer Lava, unless they would extend Salty.

Since Salty is a FA after this year, his value is lessened, but how many teams have a catcher with a .912 OPS vs RHPs this year? (2) or an OPS of ,808 vs RHPs since 2012? (4) or an overall OPS better than .756? (10)

Desperation makes GMs overpay at the deadline.

very true. They could ask for more depending on the desperation.

Sections
Shortcuts