A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

...and softy still calls the Marlins the small market model team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are 3 games away from the 1/3 mark of the season!

Nice to see 3 FT'er with an OBP of .400+.

OBP

Iggy    .500

Pedey .422

Nava   .408

Ortiz    .406

Carp  .352

Naps  .343

Vict    .343

Salty  .338

Gomes .330

Ellsb   .317

Ciriaco .314

Drew    .305

Ross     .291

Bradley .263

Middleb  .234

Lava      .222

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We are 3 games away from the 1/3 mark of the season!

Nice to see 3 FT'er with an OBP of .400+.

OBP

Iggy    .500

Pedey .422

Nava   .408

Ortiz    .406

Carp  .352

Naps  .343

Vict    .343

Salty  .338

Gomes .330

Ellsb   .317

Ciriaco .314

Drew    .305

Ross     .291

Bradley .263

Middleb  .234

Lava      .222

Im impressed with pedey nava and papi...Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

Salty has also looked a lot better at the plate this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

.Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

His numbers look good, but I wouldn't say "he's looked good at the plate". Most of his hits are IF hits. I'm not sure he can or will sustain that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Has Iggy REALLY "looked" good at theplate this year? 

I think he's looked extremely lucky.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

.Iggy will have to get a bigger sample size, but hes looked good at the plate so far.

His numbers look good, but I wouldn't say "he's looked good at the plate". Most of his hits are IF hits. I'm not sure he can or will sustain that.

Iggy has a BABIP of .542 but he also has a ground ball rate of 68.2%

That means when he hits the ball two things are happening; he's hitting the ball on the ground much much more than everyone else and he's getting hits when he puts the ball in play much much more than anyone else.  His line drive percentage is 9% which is pretty bad.  He's getting on base by hitting ground balls, soft hits.  Iglesias is NOT putting a charge into the ball, he is making very weak contact and is not walking.  He is sporting a lofty 3% BB rate.

You can use the high average to defend Iglesias all night long but you can not say he LOOKS GOOD at the plate by any measure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree with Moon. 

I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see some hard line drives instead of seeing-eye grounders.

The same with ctredwox fan...nice information

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I agree with Moon. 

I'm not complaining, but it would be nice to see some hard line drives instead of seeing-eye grounders.

I'm not complaining either, but I'm not going to say a guy getting all these IF hits is "looking good at the plate".

This is not likely a sustainable trend. I love his bunting ability.

I wouldn't say I'm a "hater", since I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS for over 2 years now... just not because of his bat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

He will end up as a decent to good hitter for average (.260-.300). His minor league numbers are not that bad. He has tended to trend upward. He no longer looks hopeless at the pro level. He has excellent natural ability (hand eye coordination, bat speed, quickness). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I agree with Moon. 

I'm not complaining either, but I'm not going to say a guy getting all these IF hits is "looking good at the plate".

This is not likely a sustainable trend. I love his bunting ability.

I wouldn't say I'm a "hater", since I have wanted Iggy as our starting SS for over 2 years now... just not because of his bat.

I know you're not a hater, Moon. I know you've supported Iggy as the SS from day one.

I just totally agree with the assessment that his offensive numbers presently aren't really indicative of 'good at-bats'.

I like the guy too and hopefully with the confidence he's acquiring, his hits will be more than he infield variety.  Actually, I do believe this will happen.  Like I posted earlier, that at-bat where he eventually walked, will do great things for his confidence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Iggy's instincts for charging the ball and sure-handed plays seem to be working from 3rd at the moment in a pinch. I don't care how he gets on base as long as he keeps doing it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Iglesias has looked better hitting this year in the majors. Hitting with a lot more confidence. He hasn't looked good but he has looked better. Also, on that DP attempt at 3rd yesterday where he flipped the ball to 2nd. It looked to me like he almost pulled that off. It looked like Ciriaco didn't live up to his end of that transaction although it would have been extremely difficulut to pull off. 

Iglesias has the best defensive hands I've ever seen. At SS or anywhere else. A decent arm also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Iglesias has looked better hitting this year in the majors. Hitting with a lot more confidence. He hasn't looked good but he has looked better. Also, on that DP attempt at 3rd yesterday where he flipped the ball to 2nd. It looked to me like he almost pulled that off. It looked like Ciriaco didn't live up to his end of that transaction although it would have been extremely difficulut to pull off. 

Iglesias has the best defensive hands I've ever seen. At SS or anywhere else. A decent arm also.

Lets call Iggy's offense very fortunate this year = the bounces have gone his way. But he will need to start squaring the ball up a lot better to keep this up. A 9% line drive rate not going to keep his [thanks ct rs] avg where it is very long. He keeps up this pace how long before Maddon brings in 1 of his OF'ers to play infield vs. Iggy? As for best defenive hands ever, might be a little early for that, maybe you are too young to remember Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel both were pretty good in their own right. Iggy is goo defensvely, but will need much larger sample size defensively before mentioning him w/ those guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As strange as it sounds, our best infield now might be with Drew at short, Iggy at third and Middlebrooks not playing.  Drew's OPS is now .729 compared to WMB's .642.  For the month of May, Drew's OPS is .871. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

As strange as it sounds, our best infield now might be with Drew at short, Iggy at third and Middlebrooks not playing.  Drew's OPS is now .729 compared to WMB's .642.  For the month of May, Drew's OPS is .871. 

I agree and also think Middy's injury has allowed Iggy the same opportunity to play every day and possibly prove himself, as Middy received when Youk went down.  The more Iggy plays 3B and well the better our team will be.  I also feel Gomes should never see another RHP as long as Carp keeps playing well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

initially I wanted Drew at third, but the more I think about it the better decision I think this is.  This is temporary and Drew will be back at short when WMB comes back to play third.  So it makes since to keep Drew at short.  Drew has also been better than expected defensively at third this year, and Iglesias will play third better than Drew will.

Yes I understand statistically more balls are hit to short; so perhaps it would be a better idea to play Drew at third and Iglesias at SS if this was a season long issue.  This is only an issue for a few weeks, so Iggy has to go to third.

If Iggy keeps on playing well then I think there is a good chance he replaces Ciarco as the utility guy, and if he is going to be the utility man then he needs to play more than just one infield position; making Iggy's reps at 3rd all the more relevant. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Guys, I am a happy camper this morning with the RS back in 1st and having fought back from their first rough stretch.  This shows they've got some grit and won't fold at the first sign of trouble.  Good to see Iggy and Aceves up and contributing.  Those two doing well is nothing but positive for the future--for us or for a trade.  These guys are actually fun to watch and root for and have made me rethink the idea of team chemistry and managers setting a tone.  It may have been "a perfect storm" of things gone wrong last year, but this change is refreshing. 

Hey Moon, I'm the guy pining for Masterson and his losses won't fail to spruce me up.  I think he's one of those guys who might be better at long relief than starting, and I love his arm. 

By the by, Eric Chavez, Diamonbacks.  He's doing great, and I bring him up because I suggested him for a bench role for us.  I don't rue stuff that doesn't happen, but he's the type of veteran that I think BC looks for... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy belongs at SS not 3B. It's really a joke to put someone that great at SS out of position. I get that necessity says Drew can't play 3B, but this just seems so wrong on so many levels.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Moon, I'm the guy pining for Masterson and his losses won't fail to spruce me up.  I think he's one of those guys who might be better at long relief than starting, and I love his arm. 

I like Masterson too, but not enough to trade what some have suggested for him (or undo the trade we made).

By the by, Eric Chavez, Diamonbacks.  He's doing great, and I bring him up because I suggested him for a bench role for us.  I don't rue stuff that doesn't happen, but he's the type of veteran that I think BC looks for... 

We could have used Chavez last year and this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy belongs at SS not 3B. It's really a joke to put someone that great at SS out of position. I get that necessity says Drew can't play 3B, but this just seems so wrong on so many levels.

The rookie moves over for the vetran in this situation. easy as that.

When I said he looks better at the plate, I ts because he does. He looks a lot better than last year. Hes more selective with his pitches. He will still swing at some balls he shouldnt, but a lot less than he was. He looks muchmore confident too. Its True, the GB rate is high, but they are more solid shots rather than softly hit balls that find a hole. I agree he needs to get more lift on his ball to increase the LD rate, but to say he doesnt look better at the plate is just outright wrong. Does he look better? Yes. Can he improve? Yes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So wrong on so many levels?  That seems a little dramatic.  Drew and Iggy are both playing well and we're winning games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The rookie moves over for the vetran in this situation. easy as that.

When I said he looks better at the plate, I ts because he does. He looks a lot better than last year. Hes more selective with his pitches. He will still swing at some balls he shouldnt, but a lot less than he was. True, the GB rate is high, but they are more solid shots rather than softly hit balls that find a hole. I agree he needs to get more lift on his ball to increase the LD rate, but to say he doesnt look better at the plate is just outright wrong. Does he look better? Yes. Can he improve? Yes.

So far this year at Pawtucket Iglesias is batting .202/.581. Until that improves-a lot-he is not going to get a chance to stay in the majors permanently.