A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part II

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Those are different reasons, but not different levels. Laughing

Sorry man, I just think that 'many levels' expression is a little overused these days.

1) Psychological

2) Tactical

3) Logical

4) Is this what you had in mind?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have a surplus of talent. I'm trading someone. For prospects or a better starting pitcher. Cliff Lee would do just fine thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

We have a surplus of talent. I'm trading someone. For prospects or a better starting pitcher. Cliff Lee would do just fine thank you.

I wouldnt give prospects for Lee. They'd have to pay a big chunk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Those are different reasons, but not different levels. Laughing

Sorry man, I just think that 'many levels' expression is a little overused these days.

1) Psychological

2) Tactical

3) Logical

4) Is this what you had in mind?

Something like that.  But I'm not really buying the psychological part, and tactical and logical are close to the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, maybe "many levels" was a poor choice of words, but there are a few aspects that I see as being wrong with the current picture (Drew at SS and the far superior SS at 3B). I get the reason that Drew never has played 3B. I'm not upset over the situation. I was more concerned about JBJ in LF and Ells in CF than this.

I just find it a bit odd that we may have 2 of the finest up the middle defenders in MLB (Iggy & JBJ), and when they get to play, we play them out of position.

I get the reasons why, but I don't agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias should be the shortstop. He was sent to Pawtucket despite his sterling play simply because Drew was signed for big bucks. Middlebrooks will be back soon.  Being younger and more athletic than Drew , Jose most likely could better adapt to playing third. Anyway , it is not a big deal.  As far as Ellsbury and Bradley , who plays center and who plays left is insignificant. Either way , you have excellent defense. The real question is why are talented young players like Iglesias , Bradley and Lavarnway in Pawtucket while the Sox play mediocre veterans like Drew , Gomes and Ross ? And pay them a whole lot more money than the young guys get. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Because those rookies have proved little, if anything in MLB. Drew is an above average proven MLB SS. I liked the Ross signing to give lavarnway the work he needed in AAA. Bradley played 43 games in AA last year. The Sox got these players (Ross, Drew) because none of those prospects were deemed "ready" yet, nor did they prove that they were last year.

They are now just looking like they might be ready. That doesnt mean you move the other guys, who are doing a good job, just so you can see if they truly are ready. Their time will come in 2014 when they will most likely all be starting in MLB.

You dont move a veteran off position when hes doing good, for a rookie. Agree or not, the Vet has paid his dues. 3b isnt going to hurt Iggy, neither is LF or RF going to hurt JBJ. Like I said, I would guess that they both will be at their normal positions in 2014 or sooner depending what happens to this years team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like having guys ready to step in from AAA if needed because of injury but we have some surpluses and a couple of situations where we can improve the team in my opinion, with the guys down in AAA. Look closely at JBJ and Lavarnway and the guys they would potentially replace. And pull the trigger when necessary. Lavarnway has not been striking out much and he has been taking the ball to RF a lot. He has made the adjustments he needed to succeed in mlb. And Salty can maybe be sold high right now. History has shown over and over that he will fade. And David Ross has not been the same since coming back from injury. Give him more time on the DL or something because he has been striking out over and over.

JBJ has an incredible record of success so far in the minors and spring training, versus only 30 AB or so in the majors and he is clearly a great defender. Look particularly at his OBP. Consistently tremendous. Victorino is struggling with back issues and such and we probably have seen his best work so far considering his health. The guy is a good player and we probably can't get much for him anyway but if someone wants Nava real bad, or will offer something decent for Victorino, Carp or Gomes we should consider it. Is Brentz not similar to a Gomes at this point? Can't Hazelbacker or even a Hassan provide deep back up if 2 or 3 OF get hurt? If we prefer to keep Gomes fine, keep him but trade someone. We are going to lose guys in the rule 5 draft anyway unless we trade them in 2 or 3 for 1 deals to upgrade in needed areas. 

We have at least 4 solid catchers who can step in and catch well for this team now. Look at Vasquez's numbers. And Lavarnway's. And probably the best catching prospect we have is #5 on the depth chart ( Swihart ).

I say pull the trigger. It injects new life into this team and we probably will even improve with these changes IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Gomes has had his shot. It isn't working. He gets way to many AB. That is going to change soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Were in 1st place, have great chemistry going here, and everyone is talking about trading guys so the UNPROVEN rookies can play? Sorry, I dont see any logic in that what so ever. NONE.

The kids are there if they are NEEDED this year. Like JBJ being called up for Vic, then probably sent back down. Like lavarnway for Ross, then sent back down. If the Sox had faith in Lavarnway they wouldnt have signed Ross. Next year is their time. If there is a major injury or they are out of contention, then Ok. Trading someone like Salty, Ellsbury or Drew while in 1st place and doing good because you think the kids "might" be ready is incompetent at best.

Vasquez is by far the best catching prospect and I wouldnt want even him stepping in right now. there is no need to inject "new life" into this team. The full time players are doing fine.

I agree Gomes is not doing well, but hes a very PT player who has a contract that nobody will want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Southpaw....just got online...wife+I went to the coast for a bit.  I'm glad I'm anonymous...huh?  I really didn't intend to make enemies....wow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Southpaw....just got online...wife+I went to the coast for a bit.  I'm glad I'm anonymous...huh?  I really didn't intend to make enemies....wow.

oh, the peskypole thing?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Anyone else think Aceves is our best trade chip so far? 

- He's versatile, As a SP or RP or Closer.

- He's 30, but only in his 6th MLB season. Not a lot of miles on the arm, I don't think.

- Arb 2014, FA 2015, 2013 Sal $2.7M

- Is he a head-case? Yeah, umm, probably. But most teams in contention will file that under 'Duly-Noted', when they are in desperate need for a closer. (I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone here that closers are presently an endangered species And are highly sought after.) W/ his 25 SVs last yr, i would put him in the category. 

I don't know whether they are showcasing him or not. However, If they are planning to deal him in the near future, i wouldn't just give him away. Good attitude, bad attitude, mother Theresa, serial killer, i don't care. Need a good return for this guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

- He's 30, but only in his 6th MLB season. Not a lot of miles on the arm, I don't think.

- Is he a head-case? Yeah, umm, probably. But most teams in contention will file that under 'Duly-Noted', when they are in desperate need for a closer. (I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone here that closers are presently an endangered species And are highly sought after.) W/ his 25 SVs last yr, i would put him in the category. 

I don't know whether they are showcasing him or not. However, If they are planning to deal him in the near future, i wouldn't just give him away. Good attitude, bad attitude, mother Theresa, serial killer, i don't care. Need a good return for this guy.

Hes relatively inexpensive and can be useful for at least a year until hes a FA. Not sure you would get much, but packaged with the right players someone would take him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

Hes relatively inexpensive and can be useful for at least a year until hes a FA. Not sure you would get much, but packaged with the right players someone would take him.

Yeah, not sure there's much he'd net straight-up that they'd want. If the Sox stay status quo (competitive & healthy) why make a trade unless it's for an impact player. That means he's part of a package, along w/ prospects. I think he adds the most immediate benefit for any team that makes a trade. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After his performance Monday Aceves looks to be a serviceable #6 starter.  He might be in the rotation before the season is out.

But I have a bias toward not trading anybody when the team is going good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

JBJ's numbers at Pawtucket-only 95 PA, but 354/457/544 is still a pretty nice line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

OK, maybe "many levels" was a poor choice of words, but there are a few aspects that I see as being wrong with the current picture (Drew at SS and the far superior SS at 3B). I get the reason that Drew never has played 3B. I'm not upset over the situation. I was more concerned about JBJ in LF and Ells in CF than this.

I just find it a bit odd that we may have 2 of the finest up the middle defenders in MLB (Iggy & JBJ), and when they get to play, we play them out of position.

You keep saying Iggy is "far superior", but I haven't seen any evidence to support that.

Drew's defense certainly isn't hurting the Sox any.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Especially if it's just to make one rookie player happy.

Iggy is isn't going to be a FT 3rd baseman, but doesn't having him get some experience at that position make him more valuable?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

You keep saying Iggy is "far superior", but I haven't seen any evidence to support that.

Iggy is isn't going to be a FT 3rd baseman, but doesn't having him get some experience at that position make him more valuable?

Drew has probably had his best defensive season so far.  It's pretty hard for anyone to bash him defensively.  Iggy is still unproven offensively, hes been hitting but hasn't exactly been knocking the cover off the ball.  We also thought Middy was ready to take over for Youk last season until we got to see him play more.

Iggy has the rest of this season to sharpen his skills, then take over at SS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Were in 1st place, have great chemistry going here, and everyone is talking about trading guys so the UNPROVEN rookies can play? Sorry, I dont see any logic in that what so ever. NONE.

The kids are there if they are NEEDED this year. Like JBJ being called up for Vic, then probably sent back down. Like lavarnway for Ross, then sent back down. If the Sox had faith in Lavarnway they wouldnt have signed Ross. Next year is their time. If there is a major injury or they are out of contention, then Ok. Trading someone like Salty, Ellsbury or Drew while in 1st place and doing good because you think the kids "might" be ready is incompetent at best.

Vasquez is by far the best catching prospect and I wouldnt want even him stepping in right now. there is no need to inject "new life" into this team. The full time players are doing fine.

I agree Gomes is not doing well, but hes a very PT player who has a contract that nobody will want.

I have no problem whatsoever agreeing to disagreeing with you ex. I conceed that my scenario is not likely. It is the kind of approach conservative teams often delay and we have seen that from the sox over the years a lot. They wait forever before bringing up guys to stay. They rarely take a chance and just give a rookie a slot aas do teams like Minnesota and there is a reason for that. We can afford to wait longer obviously. With certain talent though, just bring the kid up. Could Fred Lynn play when they brought him up? Jim rice ...etc. Sometimes it is best to just let the kid play.

When I see numbers like what JBJ put up last year, from a guy who may actually be our best OF defender also, and I see it continue this year ( on top of 2 college WS championships BTW ), I consider that sort of guy to be appropriate to bring up. Except for the power number considerations, JBJ has put up Mike trout type numbers in the minors. Bryce Harper type numbers. The kind of numbers Ellsbury put up ( actually better ). And he has done it almost immediately since coming back from an injury in college. He stepped into the minors and immediately kicked fanny last year and is topping that this year in Spring Training and almost 100 AB in AAA. 

Even in his SSS of 38 plate appearances in mlb this year and his horrible BA he still got on base at a .263 clip. If the kid hit at all he would have been our best lead off option. He has great defensive skill AND he might just be our best OBP option before year end if we actually bring him up. 

Lots of analysts have said that if the Angels had brought up Trout earlier last year they would have made the playoffs. Sometimes in management you just get out of the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

By the way, JBJ just got called up. 1/2 hour ago. I also think he probably is just filling in for Victorino but just maybe he starts well and we keep him around. I hope we do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Gomes has had his shot. It isn't working. He gets way to many AB. That is going to change soon.

We've only played about a thrid of a season, and Gomes has sat many games.

This guy gets on base vs LHPs more than almost anyone on the team, even this year. We stink vs LHPs. We'll get worse if Gomes goes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

There's plenty of evidence.

It's not to make the rookie happy (confident). I listed that as one of many "levels".

No, playing 3B is not increasing his value. It is diminishing it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you NY Mets for sweeping the Yankees.   The Red Sox are still in first place.  Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

There's plenty of evidence.

It's not to make the rookie happy (confident). I listed that as one of many "levels".

No, playing 3B is not increasing his value. It is diminishing it.

The fact Bogy has been playing strictly SS at Portland tells you the Sox were about to give up on Iggy before the season which is why they got Drew.  Now that Iggy has been hitting it should be interesting to see if Bogy remains there. 

Sections
Shortcuts