In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The stretch from Sept 2 to 15th could tell all:

3 vs Det, 4 @ NYY, 3 @ TBR, and 3 v NYY

then, we play Baltimore in 6 of our last 14 games.

Sox4ever

I think the team is set up well to finish an amazing season moon.  I like the fact Farrell has mixing up our BP so much this season and given a few youngsters like Workman, Webster and Wright a look as starters.  We have alll talked about Webster, Barnes, Rubby and Renaudo but the unsuspected upcoming prospect for 2013 for me has been Workman, I hope he finds a permanent spot soon.

How about Britton too?

I also covered the Paw Sox last night.  Bogy got two more hits and looks like a good option sooner than expected but Middy?  Will made another throwing error after making a nice diving play but he still looks like the kid we sent to mature a bit.

Middy is a puzzle. Bogaerts is awfully young, but looks like he may be ready now.

Britton looks good too moon, but Workman really impresses me. His physical makeup reminds me of Wake and he has a great SO to BB ratio.

Workman has looked great in the small sample size (22K 4 BB), but so has Britton (7K 1BB).

Career K/BB in minors:

Workman 4.01

Britton      2.13

Not sure why and I could be dead wrong moon but Britton seems like a guy who will end helping the pen more than having success as a SP.  Regardless I can't remember the last time we had so many young hopefuls on the farm.  I also love the way Farrell has been utilizing so many of them this season. 

Ive also said the same thing about Drake britton craze.
    Britton hasnt been consistent since coming off TJS. he has the stuff to be a starter, but hasnt put together a dominant season yet. Some LHP (Doubront?) take a little longer to develop for some reason. I might give him a little more time to see if he can become more consistent before I throw him in the pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

I'm still a bit skeptical about Workman and Britton. Ben felt better about Webster and Wright than these two. 

It does bode pretty well for our other higher ranked pitching prospects, if these guys keep pitching this well, unless Ben and the prospect raters are full of bunk.

Here is a list of soxprospects.com top pitching prospects:

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Then we have non-prospects Doubront (25), Beato (26), Tazawa & Morales (27), and Buch, Mort, Bard, & Miller (28)

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm still a bit skeptical about Workman and Britton. Ben felt better about Webster and Wright than these two. 

It does bode pretty well for our other higher ranked pitching prospects, if these guys keep pitching this well, unless Ben and the prospect raters are full of bunk.

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Then we have non-prospects Doubront (25), Beato (26), Tazawa & Morales (27), and Buch, Mort, Bard, & Miller (28)

Sox4ever

Its great that 11 out of the top 20 are pitchers. They might have to throw Callahan in there pretty soon as well. only 18-19, but the kid is showing some good stuff. Buttrey has looked great too after a rough 1st game. Both from the 2012 draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Sox4ever

Its great that 11 out of the top 20 are pitchers. They might have to throw Callahan in there pretty soon as well. only 18-19, but the kid is showing some good stuff. Buttrey has looked great too after a rough 1st game. Both from the 2012 draft.

We are certainly still deep enough to land another big RH bat like Stanton at some point even though I don't like his defense.  I'm hoping our young RH bats like Middy, Brentz and Bogy come along so we don't get pushed in that direction but we need more than Nap, Salty and Gomes.  I also don't see Bradley making us forget Ells for a year or two if we lose him as a FA next season.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Sox4ever

True, but what amazes me most is that we have 6 guys rated above Workman and Britton, and look how good they have been!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Sox4ever

We are certainly still deep enough to land another big RH bat like Stanton at some point even though I don't like his defense.  I'm hoping our young RH bats like Middy, Brentz and Bogy come along so we don't get pushed in that direction but we need more than Nap, Salty and Gomes.  I also don't see Bradley making us forget Ells for a year or two if we lose him as a FA next season.   

Hey craze,

check your messages here on BDC. go to your profile and its under messages. you can send me one back by clicking on my name and doing the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Sox4ever

Hey craze,

check your messages here on BDC. go to your profile and its under messages. you can send me one back by clicking on my name and doing the same.

Done Pal!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are certainly still deep enough to land another big RH bat like Stanton at some point even though I don't like his defense. 

Wish we had traded Lester for Myers.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We are certainly still deep enough to land another big RH bat like Stanton at some point even though I don't like his defense. 

Sox4ever

If The Royals got Wade Davis and Shields, do you think it might have been Lester AND Doubront? It seems after coming of a terrible season, KC would want more from the Sox for their #1 prospect. I know none of us will know the exact names that the Royals and Sox discussed in that possible deal, or if it was even considered by Ben.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True, but what amazes me most is that we have 6 guys rated above Workman and Britton, and look how good they have been!

[/QUOTE]

That is a big surprise re Workman and Britton isn't it. Look at our situation as compared to the Yankees going forward, especially in terms of minor league talent and potential pitching help from the farm. I like our chances for years to come.

Got to give a shout out to Callahan and to a lesser degree Butrey as they have shown that the 2012 year is not worthless. Betts has stepped up a lot also. It still is a off year overall in terms of the farm but Callahan might end up being a gem. He looks like the stud in that draft. Thank god some of these guys are starting to pan out.

Owens was just ranked the #3 southpaw pitching prospect in baseball this week by BA. Gotta love that street cred.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me, the big question going forward is 1st base. We need a solid RH bat, preferrably a bopper at 1st. Napoli is not what I have in mind for a championship team. Nothing against him personally but I'm not offering him $14 mil next year ( a qualifying offer ), but the options are limited. We need to strongly look at a trade next winter. We need someone for the #5 slot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

4) Owens

5) Webster

6) de la Rosa

7) Ranaudo

8) T Ball

9) Barnes

11) Workman

12) Britton

15) Stankiewicz

17) Johnson

18) Wilson

21) Buttrey

30) Callahan

31) Mercedes

34) de la Torre

35) Huntzinger

36) Light

37) Kukuk

39) McGrath

40) Almonte

41) Smith

43) Wright

45) Martin

46) Couch

47) Ramirez

49) Price

Sox4ever

I guess it says something about the expertise of the raters..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Sox4ever

Absolutely!!  Just seeing Myers at the plate is scary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

If The Royals got Wade Davis and Shields, do you think it might have been Lester AND Doubront? It seems after coming of a terrible season, KC would want more from the Sox for their #1 prospect. I know none of us will know the exact names that the Royals and Sox discussed in that possible deal, or if it was even considered by Ben.

Remember, Myers was not the only guy KC gave up. They gave up other good prospects as well. I still think we could have gotten Myers for Lester straight up. Maybe the Royals make a seperate deal for Davis or we might have had to give up Morales or Mortensen with Lester for Myers and less prospect add-ons.

I think Odorizzi was the ray's #4 prospect this spring, and Montgomery was Baseball America's #1 Royal prospect of 2012. I'm pretty sure the other prospects were worth more than Wade Davis, so it might have come down to who KC liked more: Shields or Lester. I might have even given up Lester and Morales for just Myers. They could have traded the other prospects for something useful. It's not like the Royal's farm was rated poorly- quite the opposite, in fact, so the 2 other top 4 prospects could probably have gotten more than Wade Davis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Moon, in your heart, do you REALLY think Napoli's strike-out rate is insignificant?  Regardless of what your numbers say?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Sox4ever

Absolutely!!  Just seeing Myers at the plate is scary.

It's not like I am Monday morning QB'ing either. I stated these views on Lester/Myers last winter. 

I also said that if I traded Lester (and saved money by doing so), and with Myers we save on Victorino's money, we could have then afforded A Sanchez, or a couple of younger FA arms to take Lester's slot.

(Note: I was wrong about a lot last winter, but wanting Myers or J Upton seems to be something we could really use right now... and going forward. That was my big motto last winter: make at least one big move that solves one of our biggest need to help us now and beyond 2014: big bat to protect Papi or a front line SP.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Moon, in your heart, do you REALLY think Napoli's strike-out rate is insignificant?  Regardless of what your numbers say?

Not "insignificant", but certainly blown way out of proportion. 

The higher than normal K rate is a sign that something is amiss and out of the ordinary for him, but as long as he keeps his OBP near his career high (which may be in doubt now), I'm fine with a ton of K's. Really, I am.

A .341 OBP is not bad. It's the 5th best on the team (175+ PAs). He has the second best team SLG% (3rd if you count Carp with only 172 PAs). Before tonight's game, he was .056 below his career OPS norm, just .014 behind his 2012 OPS, and .014 better than his 2010 OPS. He's 2nd on the team in HRs, 3rd in RBIs (but with a lot more chances than many others below him), 2nd in XBHs, and 1st in 2Bs. He's got our 3rd best OPS over the last 28 days and 5th best the last 14 days (not counting tonight). If he wasn't one of our best hitters this year, I'd be upset over all the K's. 

Am I worried that his K rate might be an indicator of a coming prolonged slump? Yes, of course, but as long as he keeps his OBP near .350 and SLG near .450 the rest of the way, I don't care if every out he makes is a K. I couldn't feel any more strongly about this notion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tampa 1 up in the loss column.

Texas and Cleveland 4 down in the loss column.

Baltimore 5 down in the loss column.

KC 6 down in the loss column: Yankees 8.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Napoli had an BAPIP of close to .370 last time I looked. That is not going to continue. He is probably a .230 going forward. As a #5 bat?

I know that overall his numbers are not that bad but as with Salty, Iglesias and 1-2 others it has been mainly luck. I don't know what we can do about it other than a trade. In this emerging era, big time power is expensive and possibly getting more expensive. And we don't seem to draft those kind of guys much. It's a problem for this team, and nothing is on the FA horizon which can really address that problem.

K. Morales is possibly our best shot but he is mainly a DH now, as a possibly FA. Maybe we can just play Carp more and accomplish something of what we want to achieve.

It will be interesting to see what happens. And all the more reason to be extremely careful with Bogaert's development. Bogaert's is becoming a huge factor in this team going forward, i.e. our Myers potentially. I don't care if they leave him in AAA until 2015. Don't mess that kid up. As the Rays did with Myers, prepare him fully before bring him up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess it says something about the expertise of the raters..

Not necessarily. Other than Webster, the other 5 guys ahead of Workman and Britton may just be farther away from "ML ready". They may still turn out to be better, and the raters would be vindicated.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Napoli had an BAPIP of close to .370 last time I looked. That is not going to continue. He is probably a .230 going forward. As a #5 bat?

Assuming he continues hitting like 2013 and not 2010-2012 or his career... hard to know. Napoli has always been a streaky hitter his whole career. Maybe I am just wishful thinking, but I think there is just as strong a chance Naps getsred  hot here on out as he does batting .230.

I know that overall his numbers are not that bad but as with Salty, Iglesias and 1-2 others it has been mainly luck. I don't know what we can do about it other than a trade. In this emerging era, big time power is expensive and possibly getting more expensive. And we don't seem to draft those kind of guys much. It's a problem for this team, and nothing is on the FA horizon which can really address that problem.

Yes, it is expensive, but the three guys traded this past winter did not cost as much as I thought they would: J Upton, Choo, and W Myers.

K. Morales is possibly our best shot but he is mainly a DH now, as a possibly FA. Maybe we can just play Carp more and accomplish something of what we want to achieve.

You mean for 2014? I'm not sure teams would allow Morales to fall to us, but I guess most contending teams are pretty set at 1B/DH. Anyways, I think if we are to make a waiver deal, our biggest area needing improvement is not 1B. We need a platoon player (vs LHPs) at 3B, SS and/or C.

It will be interesting to see what happens. And all the more reason to be extremely careful with Bogaert's development. Bogaert's is becoming a huge factor in this team going forward, i.e. our Myers potentially. I don't care if they leave him in AAA until 2015. Don't mess that kid up. As the Rays did with Myers, prepare him fully before bring him up.

The Rays "messed with" Myers? Wil is thriving in a small sample size.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is a big surprise re Workman and Britton isn't it. Look at our situation as compared to the Yankees going forward, especially in terms of minor league talent and potential pitching help from the farm. I like our chances for years to come.

Got to give a shout out to Callahan and to a lesser degree Butrey as they have shown that the 2012 year is not worthless. Betts has stepped up a lot also. It still is a off year overall in terms of the farm but Callahan might end up being a gem. He looks like the stud in that draft. Thank god some of these guys are starting to pan out.

Owens was just ranked the #3 southpaw pitching prospect in baseball this week by BA. Gotta love that street cred.

[/QUOTE]

Augliera has won 3 pitcher of the week awards this year too Boom...Another 2012 draftee.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

To me, the big question going forward is 1st base. We need a solid RH bat, preferrably a bopper at 1st. Napoli is not what I have in mind for a championship team. Nothing against him personally but I'm not offering him $14 mil next year ( a qualifying offer ), but the options are limited. We need to strongly look at a trade next winter. We need someone for the #5 slot.

I know he probably wont be ready next year, but Travis Shaw has showed some "pop" this year with 15HR this year, but the BA and OBP have gone down compared to his usual high OBP. Not sure he is the long term answer, but the power is nice.

Id like them to offer Corey Hart a 1yr make good deal next year. I think hes partial to the brewers, but the Sox can offer him a very good 1yr offer as well as hitting in Fenway as a RHH could benefit him as well. Mark reynolds would be good in Boston too if you can deal with the K's. By the reaction of Naps, Id say no. Either way, there are a couple good options on the FA market aas well as a couple in house ones for 1b.

Im thinking that Middy or Cecchini could POSSIBLY be the long term answer for both corner IF spots, or at least Ben might want to wait to see how things work out next year with Bogey, Middy and Cecchini before inking any long term deals there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Augliera has won 3 pitcher of the week awards this year too Boom...Another 2012 draftee.

Realistically, Buttrey and Aguilera are borderline mlb level players at best. Neither looks to be more than trade bait to me. Callahan is another story. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Moon, I meant to say that we shouldn't mess with Bogaert's development in the same way the Rays took their time with Myers. Look what you have when you season it, optimize it. Myers was clearly ready when he came up. Bogaert's has a chance to be a top 10 player in baseball. I don't want to mess that up. Even if he doesn't sniff the majors until 2015 ( which I realize is not going to probably happen. He will be with us by September at the latest I'm pretty sure ).

The good news is that a guy like Bogaert's can potentially carry a team. We need that level of bat. The Ortiz miracle can't go on forever. We need the Bogaert's  / Cechinni era to phase in right on schedule.

• Sections
    Shortcuts