A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

In response to garyhow's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[QUOTE]

By the way, Iglesias has hit .280 since joining Detroit, and had some of his best fielding plays. He's still hitting .320 for the year and has to be considered in the running for ROY I would think. 

3 yrs form now we'll know who won this trade. Is Iggy continuing to hit the way has this year If so then probably an all star or is he a utility guy if he goes back to his career norms and all those bleeders don't continue to find all the holes? Does Peavey help lead the RS far into playoffs and like Hanley will easily be forgotten by RS fans? Have to give Ben credit, because RS have as good a shot as any team at baseball to win it this year, and as we all know those chances to come along all that often. Even if Iggy becomes an all star and RS don't win it this year when the chance presents itself you have to go for it! Go RS!

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Can't sit idly by when you're arguably the best team in baseball. Still don't think that trade happens if they had a healthy Buchholz all year though. The trade covered their arsse Neglect if they didn't.

For a team with so many streaky players, the team as a whole hasn't been streaky at all. I chuckle about that from time to time. Sox lead MLB in series wins last time I checked so they're doing something right. Got that sinking feeling when Miller got hurt for the year, but it hasn't fazed them. And even if Buch doesn't come back, a 4 man rotation in the Post Season isn't unprecedented really. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

By the way, Iglesias has hit .280 since joining Detroit, and had some of his best fielding plays. He's still hitting .320 for the year and has to be considered in the running for ROY I would think. 

3 yrs form now we'll know who won this trade. Is Iggy continuing to hit the way has this year If so then probably an all star or is he a utility guy if he goes back to his career norms and all those bleeders don't continue to find all the holes? Does Peavey help lead the RS far into playoffs and like Hanley will easily be forgotten by RS fans? Have to give Ben credit, because RS have as good a shot as any team at baseball to win it this year, and as we all know those chances to come along all that often. Even if Iggy becomes an all star and RS don't win it this year when the chance presents itself you have to go for it! Go RS!

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Can't sit idly by when you're arguably the best team in baseball. Still don't think that trade happens if they had a healthy Buchholz all year though. The trade covered their arsse Neglect if they didn't.

For a team with so many streaky players, the team as a whole hasn't been streaky at all. I chuckle about that from time to time. Sox lead MLB in series wins last time I checked so they're doing something right. Got that sinking feeling when Miller got hurt for the year, but it hasn't fazed them. And even if Buch doesn't come back, a 4 man rotation in the Post Season isn't unprecedented really. 

[/QUOTE]

The championship series is scheduled 2 games, 1 off, 3 games, one off, then 2 games. I'm not sure how the division series goes, but a four man rotation should be the norm for most teams in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

J. Lowrie: age 29, salary: 2.4M

avg: .294, hr: 10, rbi: 57, runs: 63, obp: .352, slg: .441, games: 127, 2b: 39

S. Drew: age 30, salary: 9.5M

avg: .248, hr: 10, rbi :53, runs: 47, obp: .333, slg: .428, games: 101, 2b:  22

Sometimes I wonder how things would have been if he hadn't had the broken wrist and mono when he was with us.  Unfortunately, we ran out of patience.

He's healthy now and doing a whale of a job for the A's.

Lowrie is near the bottom on UZR/150 at SS. Drew is above average this year.

[/QUOTE]

Miguel Cabrera's URZ/150 at 3rd base is -21.4.  Yet, both teams(A's+Tigers) are at or near the top in their division.  Interesting.  Don't you think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that even if we don't win it all, this trade cannot be viewed as a failure based on just that fact, however, if Iggy goes on to have a great career, it has to be viewed that way. 

Yes, HanRam was largely forgotten thanks to strong contributions from Beckett and Lowell that led to our second ring, but HanRam and Sanchez went on to have pretty good careers, and we'll never know if we might have won a ring or two with them instead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The championship series is scheduled 2 games, 1 off, 3 games, one off, then 2 games. I'm not sure how the division series goes, but a four man rotation should be the norm for most teams in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Travel days, possible rain-outs...  Having Peavy definitely makes me feel better. If Buchholz is indeed ready to go by that time, I have to say we're the favorites. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

J. Lowrie: age 29, salary: 2.4M

avg: .294, hr: 10, rbi: 57, runs: 63, obp: .352, slg: .441, games: 127, 2b: 39

S. Drew: age 30, salary: 9.5M

avg: .248, hr: 10, rbi :53, runs: 47, obp: .333, slg: .428, games: 101, 2b:  22

Sometimes I wonder how things would have been if he hadn't had the broken wrist and mono when he was with us.  Unfortunately, we ran out of patience.

He's healthy now and doing a whale of a job for the A's.

Lowrie is near the bottom on UZR/150 at SS. Drew is above average this year.

[/QUOTE]

That was always the problem, and why we should've traded him earlier.  I liked his bat, didn't care about the injuries, but his real position is 2B.  The day after the SS experiment was over, he should've been moved.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

I believe I read earlier tonight that Middlebrooks was taking ground balls at 1st? It would make sense if Napoli is going to be out for a while and maybe they were considering bringing up Xander. We are not that far from September guys. He is eventually going to be with the big club this year. They are trying to fix their problems against LH starters. Calling up Xander is probably unrelated though for the most part. He is probably just a September call up who might happen to help.

Can't say i'm a fan of Ross coming back. His rehab looked pretty awful. I think the guy is still hurt. I thought Lavarnway was underutilized.

This team is going through some bad times right now. And now a west coast trip. It could continue to be ugly.

If Ross can  help the pitching staff then it's worth sending Lava down. speaking of lava i was pretty impressed with his hitting during his stint this year and definitely think he should have gotten more playing time. Since Ross went on the DL, Salty has caught an eye opening number of games. It might speak to Lavas defensive capabilities that they opted to run Salty out there day after day because like i said, i was impressed with his bat. If the Sox resign Salty this offseason then Lava should be moved off the position. 1Bman for now and eventual DH ifpapi ever retires. The biggest caveat of Lavas game is his bat. If his catching ability is the reason why he is not getting more time then he should not be a catcher. In any case, he will be a valuable bat off the bench when rosters expand and into the playoffs.

also, Xander got the call today. super excited to see him in action

[/QUOTE]

Salty is our final candidate for a QO.  Ellsbury is automatic, but both Drew and Salty are good enough, and at a position where we have some questions, that I wouldn't care if they accepted or not.  $14M each is a bit of an overpay, but one year overpays don't bother me much.

I'd hate to lose all 3, but we'd have a nice looking draft lined up with probably 4 picks in the top 40-45.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I believe I read earlier tonight that Middlebrooks was taking ground balls at 1st? It would make sense if Napoli is going to be out for a while and maybe they were considering bringing up Xander. We are not that far from September guys. He is eventually going to be with the big club this year. They are trying to fix their problems against LH starters. Calling up Xander is probably unrelated though for the most part. He is probably just a September call up who might happen to help.

Can't say i'm a fan of Ross coming back. His rehab looked pretty awful. I think the guy is still hurt. I thought Lavarnway was underutilized.

This team is going through some bad times right now. And now a west coast trip. It could continue to be ugly.

If Ross can  help the pitching staff then it's worth sending Lava down. speaking of lava i was pretty impressed with his hitting during his stint this year and definitely think he should have gotten more playing time. Since Ross went on the DL, Salty has caught an eye opening number of games. It might speak to Lavas defensive capabilities that they opted to run Salty out there day after day because like i said, i was impressed with his bat. If the Sox resign Salty this offseason then Lava should be moved off the position. 1Bman for now and eventual DH ifpapi ever retires. The biggest caveat of Lavas game is his bat. If his catching ability is the reason why he is not getting more time then he should not be a catcher. In any case, he will be a valuable bat off the bench when rosters expand and into the playoffs.

also, Xander got the call today. super excited to see him in action

[/QUOTE]

Salty is our final candidate for a QO.  Ellsbury is automatic, but both Drew and Salty are good enough, and at a position where we have some questions, that I wouldn't care if they accepted or not.  $14M each is a bit of an overpay, but one year overpays don't bother me much.

I'd hate to lose all 3, but we'd have a nice looking draft lined up with probably 4 picks in the top 40-45.

[/QUOTE]

That would be nice, and I think we could do well signing other players with the money offered to those three.

I do think Drew and Salty would take $14M/1, but they may be looking for the longer deal at this point in their careers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

It's human nature to look back and say "what if..." but generally I think it's a wasted exercise.  We gave Lowrie lots of chances and he seemed accident prone.  Who knows, maybe it's really hard to come into maturity in Boston with all the pressure and its effects.  I feel the same about Iggy; I wanted to keep him and think he could have anchored our defense for years, but the RS never seemed to buy in completely and we got a top line pitcher in return.  The RS have had this culture of wanting an offensive SS.  We seem to have so much depth right now that we can offer our best price and if its not accepted, we can move on.  I want Drew, Salty, and Ells back, but honestly I don't think we'll miss a beat without them.  We probaly won't lose them all--two at the most? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

It's human nature to look back and say "what if..." but generally I think it's a wasted exercise.  We gave Lowrie lots of chances and he seemed accident prone.  Who knows, maybe it's really hard to come into maturity in Boston with all the pressure and its effects.  I feel the same about Iggy; I wanted to keep him and think he could have anchored our defense for years, but the RS never seemed to buy in completely and we got a top line pitcher in return.  The RS have had this culture of wanting an offensive SS.  We seem to have so much depth right now that we can offer our best price and if its not accepted, we can move on.  I want Drew, Salty, and Ells back, but honestly I don't think we'll miss a beat without them.  We probaly won't lose them all--two at the most? 

Ellsbury currently has the 41st best wOBA out of 133 MLB OF'ers. I just don't think that's worthy of an $18M x 5 or 6 year deal. I still think he walks.

I'd like Salty back for sure and am beginning to think a $14M qualifying offer may be the right offer. Either that, of maybe $33M/3 or $40M/4.

I never thought I'd even consider offering Drew a deal to come back. Of course, I had visions of Iggy at SS for years to come. Bringing Drew back makes sense if Boggy is moved to 3B and Middy to 1B. We'd have Carp and Nava to play 1B, if Middy stumbled again. That would free up a boat load of money to sign or trade for a big bopper OF'er.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, as usual I"m with you.  Drew back gives the kids a chance to grow with a steady pro showing the ropes and filling in if the kids have a hiccup.  14 mil sounds a littlesteep for Salty but the 3/33 sounds about right...I think he's really improved and gives us what Theo envisioned--I thought if he could give us Tek's numbers that would be enough.  AND HE IS.   i'm not sure he calls a game like Tek but he must be getting close.  I'm with you--I'd like us to get a big thumper for next year but we can get by without one.  Did our pitching frustrate Det. hitting tonight or what?  You could see thse guys get frustrated as the game wore on.                            

I've got a man crush on Workman and Moon, don't forget about Wright--i still say he's goiing to be  a great future assett.  I've been reading your stats on Ells.  If he takes what we offer, fine.  If not c'est la vie and we move on.  I'm good either way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Moon, as usual I"m with you.  Drew back gives the kids a chance to grow with a steady pro showing the ropes and filling in if the kids have a hiccup.  14 mil sounds a littlesteep for Salty but the 3/33 sounds about right...I think he's really improved and gives us what Theo envisioned--I thought if he could give us Tek's numbers that would be enough.  AND HE IS.   i'm not sure he calls a game like Tek but he must be getting close.  I'm with you--I'd like us to get a big thumper for next year but we can get by without one.  Did our pitching frustrate Det. hitting tonight or what?  You could see thse guys get frustrated as the game wore on.                            

I've got a man crush on Workman and Moon, don't forget about Wright--i still say he's goiing to be  a great future assett.  I've been reading your stats on Ells.  If he takes what we offer, fine.  If not c'est la vie and we move on.  I'm good either way.

I think we are really positioned well for the future.  If we sign Drew and/or Salty to the QOs, we should have a good team.  If those two, plus Ells, all decline, we pick up three picks, JBJ and Bogaerts can start, and we'd have a ton of payroll cap space to add a catcher and a 1B.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Joe I'm with you.  I still don't know exactly how we went from so much stink--last year--to smelling like roses.  I think some of those guys carried a bad attitude and the new guys were all a breath of fresh air, coaching staff came in with a fresh approach, and everyone got a clean start.  With the kids on the farm coming on strong, it's all coming together.

Critter

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not saying I want Drew back at $14M/1, but I can see how it could happen. I only am OK with the deal, if it is part of a bigger plan to acquire a big bopper 1Bman or OF'er and moving Boggy to 3B.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Nice position to be in.  Think only Drew of the three stays, believe they won't overpay or give the # of years Ells wants, and also think they'll go with the catchers in the system rather than pay for Salty or a for new one.   Hoping we go after a middle of the lineup bat via trade too in the off-season, there's no free agent who would fit that bill, is there?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The USA today just named Bogaerts as minor league baseball player of the year. Pretty cool huh.

I'm not convinced he is the next Mike Trout but he definitely is projected to be a potential star, and we have him for 6 years.

I never would have thought that we would give QO to Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli and Salty but it is possible, and if they all sign elsewhere in time we get picks. I still think that several of those guys take the deal though. It's risky.

There is some indication we would rather have McCann rather than Salty and I'm down with that. I think I'd rather have Kendry Morales than Napoli also.

If Drew takes the deal, we could move Bogaerts to 3rd and trade Middlebrooks. Middlebrooks might well get a decent return and we have Cechinni on the way. Cechinni is getting overlooked right niow but he is still leading all of minor league baseball in OBP. He could slot right in as a great #2 hitter. Not saying next year but he might be ready by 2015or even be a 2014 call up at some point.

My gut tells me that they don't give QO to Salty or Napoli but Salty does have a chance. I think he would take the deal unfortunately. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Of course, Ellsbury is a no brainer QO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Drew might turn down a QO and that would net us a pick potentially, along with Ellsbury.

I'm not even convinced that they would let Ellsbury go. They probably make a run at him.

Assuming no Drew or Ellsbury, we lose over $20 mil in salary right there. If we let Salty go maybe we get another pick and sign McCann. Letting Napoli go maybe we get Morales. I like that lineup even more with Ellsbury in it though.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

McCann

Morales

Middlebrooks

Nava

Bogaerts

Victorino

Or:

Victorino

Nava

Pedroia

Ortiz

McCann

Morales

Middlebrooks

Bogaerts

JBJ

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that even if we don't win it all, this trade cannot be viewed as a failure based on just that fact, however, if Iggy goes on to have a great career, it has to be viewed that way. 

Yes, HanRam was largely forgotten thanks to strong contributions from Beckett and Lowell that led to our second ring, but HanRam and Sanchez went on to have pretty good careers, and we'll never know if we might have won a ring or two with them instead.

[/QUOTE]

As big a part as both Beckett and Lowell were  to the 07 Championship and as much as Sanchez was hurt early in his career not so sure if we could have won w/ those 2 instead? Never know?

But have to admit feel much better about our chances this year w/ Peavy added to the rotation. Watching him pitch for us you can see what he brings to a team (a toughness and an attitude that you don't find w/ most) but watching Iggy play against us this week has also been tough, making the plays in the field that most could only wish to make. Let's hope RS go far this year and Iggy does have a great career = win-win

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Drew might turn down a QO and that would net us a pick potentially, along with Ellsbury.

I'm not even convinced that they would let Ellsbury go. They probably make a run at him.

Assuming no Drew or Ellsbury, we lose over $20 mil in salary right there. If we let Salty go maybe we get another pick and sign McCann. Letting Napoli go maybe we get Morales. I like that lineup even more with Ellsbury in it though.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ortiz

McCann

Morales

Middlebrooks

Nava

Bogaerts

Victorino

Or:

Victorino

Nava

Pedroia

Ortiz

McCann

Morales

Middlebrooks

Bogaerts

JBJ

If Drew turns down the QO, the team who signs him loses a draft pick. That will cause many teams to shy away or offer less. Things he has to consider when mking his choice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

What is Nap's status as to contract?  Is it one year and up?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

What is Nap's status as to contract?  Is it one year and up?

Yes, and with his incentives, he is likely to make $13M this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's tough to look at Drew's numbers and think he is even worth a QO but the derth of talent at SS is incredibly low and he might actually get a multiyear deal from a St. Louis or another team. I also find it incredulous but Drew's numbers might be near top 5 for a SS. I'm just going from memory here but I'm almost certain he profiles top 10. And he is hitting around .245 for God's sake!

He's put up decent defensive numbers and his pop is above average. He does have decent OBP.

It helps us so much if he moves on though IMO. It opens a slot for Bogaerts, leaves a slot for Middlebrooks and/or Cechinni later on.

I hope he is screaming hot through year end. And a megastud in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's kind of greedy to hope for 4 picks out of the current crop. But would it kill them to posssibly bring Napoli back? I don't see any other team offering him a multiyear deal beating a $14 mil 1 year deal. 

I don't think I'd offer Napoli a QO. That's just a bridge too far.

I bring this up because a lot of people think he may get one on other forums.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I keep Salty. After breaking through offensively this year, hes earned a good payday. McCann may be a little better offensiovely, but defensively they are very comparable. Im guessing McCann will cost much more and not be worth the difference in pay between him and Salty. Salty would easily get a 4yr deal in FA.

I was told I was out of my mind when I suggested Drew getting a QO. Not such a crazy idea now it seems. I dont care about his BA..Most SS dont have a decent OBP or SLG. Drew is a 750+OPS SS with solid defense. Thatsvone of the better SS in the game today. He should get 3-4 year offers.

Id let Naps walk. No QO, nothing.

Obviously offer a QO to Ellsbury. Im Ok with a 15M 6yr deal for him. if not, seeya.