A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I keep Salty. After breaking through offensively this year, hes earned a good payday. McCann may be a little better offensiovely, but defensively they are very comparable. Im guessing McCann will cost much more and not be worth the difference in pay between him and Salty. Salty would easily get a 4yr deal in FA.

I was told I was out of my mind when I suggested Drew getting a QO. Not such a crazy idea now it seems. I dont care about his BA..Most SS dont have a decent OBP or SLG. Drew is a 750+OPS SS with solid defense. Thatsvone of the better SS in the game today. He should get 3-4 year offers.

Id let Naps walk. No QO, nothing.

Obviously offer a QO to Ellsbury. Im Ok with a 15M 6yr deal for him. if not, seeya.

I think I was one who called the idea of offering Drew a QO insane.

Sorry.

I still think he is not worth $14M, but the lure of the draft pick and just a 1 year commitment is somewhat attractive now.

As I mentioned earlier, I never expected Drew to be a decent fielder. I admit I was wrong.

Napoli is about as close to a QO as Drew and Salty, IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I keep Salty. After breaking through offensively this year, hes earned a good payday. McCann may be a little better offensiovely, but defensively they are very comparable. Im guessing McCann will cost much more and not be worth the difference in pay between him and Salty. Salty would easily get a 4yr deal in FA.

I was told I was out of my mind when I suggested Drew getting a QO. Not such a crazy idea now it seems. I dont care about his BA..Most SS dont have a decent OBP or SLG. Drew is a 750+OPS SS with solid defense. Thatsvone of the better SS in the game today. He should get 3-4 year offers.

Id let Naps walk. No QO, nothing.

Obviously offer a QO to Ellsbury. Im Ok with a 15M 6yr deal for him. if not, seeya.

I think I was one who called the idea of offering Drew a QO insane.

Sorry.

I still think he is not worth $14M, but the lure of the draft pick and just a 1 year commitment is somewhat attractive now.

As I mentioned earlier, I never expected Drew to be a decent fielder. I admit I was wrong.

Napoli is about as close to a QO as Drew and Salty, IMO.

Im on the fence with Naps. Now that he was put in a position to play a full season, hes been a lot more inconsistent than I thought. I knew he was streaky, but a hot april then a down may-july and start to heat up in august wasnt what I was thinking.

Id rather get stuck with salty, Ells or Drew for 14 instead of Naps. But that doesnt mean some other team will take him on a 2-3 year deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

QO to Drew Salty Ells, lose two of three probably but get draft picks; no QO for Naps.  Think they'll try a Middlebrooks Pedey Drew Bogaerts infield in 2014.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

QO to Drew Salty Ells, lose two of three probably but get draft picks; no QO for Naps.  Think they'll try a Middlebrooks Pedey Drew Bogaerts infield in 2014.

Me too...Except I think they might try a FA to fill 1b. Ive been saying Corey Hart for a while now. He fits the make good 1yr deal mold perfectly. Big RHH who can play 1b/OF. We have Nava and Carp as LH options.

I dont think Drew stays unless hes offered at least 3 years. I think he will get a 3 or 4 year deal from someone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Me too...Except I think they might try a FA to fill 1b. Ive been saying Corey Hart for a while now. He fits the make good 1yr deal mold perfectly. Big RHH who can play 1b/OF. We have Nava and Carp as LH options.

I dont think Drew stays unless hes offered at least 3 years. I think he will get a 3 or 4 year deal from someone.

The thing is, Napoli is the most likely to turn down $14M/1. He has proved his hip is fine. That was all that kept him from $39M/3 last winter.

I think when the season is over, Napoli's final stats will look better than they do now. However, it may be hard to get a longer offer for more than $12M a year, since the team signing him would lose a draft pick.

If we knew for sure Naps would turn it down, I'd offer him a QO in a heartbeat.

Drew may take the QO for the same reason I mentioned with Napoli. What's better for a guy like Drew (with an injury history and age creaping up)?

$14M/1

or 

$30M/3

Salty would almost certainly take $14M/1.

Ellsbury will certainly turn down $14M/1 or $75M/5.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who is the best 1B/3B player in MLB? We could use a guy like that, in case Middlebrooks stumbles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I know it sounds crazy but the PED era is largely over. Look at the WAR ( Edit: I meant player value) numbers for AL 1st basemen. I think you may have to log in to fangraphs to see the data. (Napoli at #5 in player value, $11.7 mil ):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

And look at the catcher numbers ( Salty at 5th, $12.6 mil ):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=400&type=6&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

and at SS: ( drew 6th, at $12.3 Mil )

Looks like Middlebrooks stock just went up. Grand Slam!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Middlebrooks just drove Al Albuqueque to Texas!

Great season huh guys!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Al's having a bad day...

He doesn't like Texas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I had 2 mlb.com windows open open by mistake, so I got automatic replays of the replays. It's "And there is another HR...And there is another HR...." like 6 times already this inning. Pinch me, this can't be real!

I think I will do this more often. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know it sounds crazy but the PED era is largely over. Look at the WAR ( Edit: I meant player value) numbers for AL 1st basemen. I think you may have to log in to fangraphs to see the data. (Napoli at #5 in player value, $11.7 mil ):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

And look at the catcher numbers ( Salty at 5th, $12.6 mil ):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=400&type=6&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

and at SS: ( drew 6th, at $12.3 Mil )

They could all be over $14M by season end.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After tonight, a lot of player's OPS have risen. Let's check in on the updated numbers...

.963 Ortiz

.901 Carp

.833 Nava

.797 Napoli

.795 Victorino

.786 Pedroia

(.785 Iglesias)

.780 Drew

.776 Saltalamacchia

.775 Ellsbury 

.751 Gomes

.703 Middlebrooks

10 guys over .775 (9 not counting Iggy).

What balance!!!

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

OMG!  i was feeling sorry for Det. at the end.  i think that's the kind of whuppin that stays with you --as the next time they play and RS put a couple of runs together, the Tigers start to go, "Oh no,is it starting again?"  i'm fine if Naps comes back but I'm with SPaw on this one.  I think he blocks the young guns and our chances to go get aBig Bopper with more consistentcy.

Critter

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

A lot of those HR were no doubters. It could affect the confidence and pressure level for some players in the playoffs, especially the pitchers. And quite frankly we need that edge because Detroit is a team we need to be concerned about. If I had to project right now who would win, I think they may have an edge still. It should be a heck of a series.

They have a lot of talent on that team. If we are going to beat them it will be an epic series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

One thing I don't understand is why Gomes gets played still over Nava. Nava has had the better season in my opinion. On base now 37 straight games?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

10 guys over .775 (9 not counting Iggy).

Iggy's defensive plays are like baseball ballet. I get that with Buck out we needed Peavy, but I'm still heartbroken over losing him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

One thing I don't understand is why Gomes gets played still over Nava. Nava has had the better season in my opinion. On base now 37 straight games?

Gomes vs LHPs and Nava vs RHPs. Look at Nava vs lefties, and you'll have your answer. Look at Gomes over recent years vs RHPs, and the reason will be confirmed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

DunnI'm not coming back just to come back for money or because I have one year left [on my contract]. I'm not coming back to chase home run numbers or whatever. If I end up with 499 and I'm not having fun, see ya -- 499 it is.

-- Adam Dunn to Fox Sports

I do not blame Adam Dunn.  If I played for the last place White Sox, I'd wanna retire too.   LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With his BA and lowering OBP, it wouldn't be fun for me either.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This series with the Tigers was such a boost for the Sox. It conformed that they could indeed beat the best pitcher in MLB right now AND Detroit also knows that now.

I still hope they give Lavarnway a 1b mit over the winter. Id rather have his bat in the lineup everyday. At 6'4 and about 280-300BA throughout his MiL career, high OBP and showed 25-30 HR potential.

Re-sign Salty for 3-4 years and give Lav a 1b mit over the winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

DunnI'm not coming back just to come back for money or because I have one year left [on my contract]. I'm not coming back to chase home run numbers or whatever. If I end up with 499 and I'm not having fun, see ya -- 499 it is.

-- Adam Dunn to Fox Sports

I do not blame Adam Dunn.  If I played for the last place White Sox, I'd wanna retire too.   LOL

For the money they make, I'd happily clean the toilets or sell peanuts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

What a difference a year makes.  A year ago, the Red Sox went 7-19 in September and finished the season with only 69 wins.

This year, the Red Sox have the best record in the AL and a 5.5-game lead over the second place Rays.  

I would love to see the Red Sox take three out of four vs. the Yankees and kiss their season goodbye.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This series with the Tigers was such a boost for the Sox. It conformed that they could indeed beat the best pitcher in MLB right now AND Detroit also knows that now.

I still hope they give Lavarnway a 1b mit over the winter. Id rather have his bat in the lineup everyday. At 6'4 and about 280-300BA throughout his MiL career, high OBP and showed 25-30 HR potential.

Re-sign Salty for 3-4 years and give Lav a 1b mit over the winter.

I like the idea, but with Boggy penciled in at SS or 3B, Middlebrooks for 3B or 1b, maybe JBJ in CF, I doubt we leave another slot open for Lava. 

Since Carp, Papi and Nava can all cover 1B as a back-up, I seriously doubt there will be room on the 25 man roster for a guy like Lava to be the back-up 1Bman/3rd catcher. He may end up being the #2 catcher and #2 1Bman, if Salty walks.

Sections
Shortcuts