A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Great game to watch. Xander looked unfazed and ready to contribute more in the future. Solid games by Nava, Victorino, Breslow, Peavy, Koji...etc. 

The Sox just continue to look like the best team in baseball.

Did you guys see Reddick's hops on that HR ball. The guy is a tremendous athlete. He's just fun to watch. Too bad he doesn't make more contact. It's amazing how so many of our former players are big time contributors on the Oakland team. Coco was 4-5 today.

Victorino's RF defense is making us all forget about Reddick.

I'm glad Bogaerts scored 2 runs last night. Big confidence boost... not that he needed it.

Nava continues to be an OB machine vs RHPs. I love the Nava-Gomes platoon even more now than I did last spring.

Salty had a tough night, but still ended up with a .364 OBP this series.

Pedey had a tough series, but it's nice to see everyone else pick it up.

The Ellsbury-Victorino 1-2 lead-off punch has been amazing. They both are getting on base at a crazy rate, and then they are reeking havoc on the basepaths afterwards. It seems like Ellsbury is even faster than before the foot injury!

Lester-Lackey-Buch-Peavy... WOW!

Breslow-Uehara... Double WOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, I forgot about Reddick the moment he was traded. I always felt Kalish was the better prospect, but health... I think Reddick's 2012 season may be as good as he ever gets, and gold glove aside, he's not in Shane's league defensively in my opinion.

Everything else in your post is spot on! This entire roster is put together to compete at the highest level in any type of game, slugfest, pitchers' duel, playoffs, regular season. 25 guys and everyone has a role and seems comfortable with their roles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon, I forgot about Reddick the moment he was traded. I always felt Kalish was the better prospect, but health... I think Reddick's 2012 season may be as good as he ever gets, and gold glove aside, he's not in Shane's league defensively in my opinion.

Everything else in your post is spot on! This entire roster is put together to compete at the highest level in any type of game, slugfest, pitchers' duel, playoffs, regular season. 25 guys and everyone has a role and seems comfortable with their roles.

They are even deeper than 25.

Love this team!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

No doubt they are deeper than 25 Moon, and many more than 25 played a part in their being where they are now. I was simply referring more to the present tense with the 25 number.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No doubt they are deeper than 25 Moon, and many more than 25 played a part in their being where they are now. I was simply referring more to the present tense with the 25 number.

Yes, I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you, I just wanted to add to your point.

I love the current 25. I wonder if we make any tweaks for the ALCS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Reddick is a potential gold glove caliber Right fielder though. The guy can field his position. He had some value. Oakland is in the playoffs largely by picking up our castoffs cheap. Lowrie, Moss, Crisp, Reddick. That's 4 starters right there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Reddick had a very ineffective season Boom. The other three were all major contributors. i'm sorry they're out; would have preferred them to Detroit. At this point I believe other teams need to be more concerned with how they match up with the sox, rather than the Sox worrying about how they match up. Until someone knocks us off, we are the team to beat. The best record in baseball in baseball's toughest division, has to make us the favorites.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Reddick had a very ineffective season Boom. The other three were all major contributors. i'm sorry they're out; would have preferred them to Detroit. At this point I believe other teams need to be more concerned with how they match up with the sox, rather than the Sox worrying about how they match up. Until someone knocks us off, we are the team to beat. The best record in baseball in baseball's toughest division, has to make us the favorites.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. The Tigers will be tough, but we are going strong. We beat some tough lefties, and now we face some tough righties.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Tigers are vulnerable if we can get to their pen. Defensively they stink also. In the playoffs defense can be huge. Oakland gave them a run for their money.

Let's hope we can get on base because the Tiger pitchers are apparently not good at run prevention if people are on base. They can't control the running game potentially ( the worst CS percentage in the AL )  and Ellsbury / Victorino could give them fits.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like our chances this series. The Tigers will be tough. Their SP'ers are excellent. 

I'm happy they are all righties.

I'm happy we are coming together and heating up at just the right time.

I'm happy Ellsbury's foot looks 100%.It's not going to be easy. The Tigers are no pushover. Their division was tougher this year than other recent years, so this is a tested team.

You are right, though: get to their pen early and push their defense and catcher's arm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Great game guys! Papi does it again. Unbelieveable!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Too bad the old guy "clogs up the basepaths" so much and no longer has any "pop"!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Wow, if I were Detroit I would be so deflated after that game.  Their secondary pitching was flimsical which is a new word I just made up from flimsy and whimsical.  I just hope our hitting doesn't go back in the deepfreeze, please just do some early work so we don't have to have drama every game...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, if I were Detroit I would be so deflated after that game.  Their secondary pitching was flimsical which is a new word I just made up from flimsy and whimsical.  I just hope our hitting doesn't go back in the deepfreeze, please just do some early work so we don't have to have drama every game...

[/QUOTE]

If we can get Verlander out of the game early- all the better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Go SOX!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, lots of posts all over the board from the soft one about "manager Jim's decision" to not walk Ortiz. Like any respectable major league manager would walk the tying run to pitch to the go-ahead run. I was sitting with my son and said that if he brings in Benoit to pitch to Ortiz he will tie the game on one swing. I love it when I'm clairvoyant like that;)

PS. I do have softy on ignore, or fireman as he's known today, but he's all over the board and showing up in many replies. Glad he's avoiding this thread at least for now. I question his fanhood as he seems to relish more in the Red Sox' struggles than he enjoys their success.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His point would have more validity had he not claimed earlier that Papi had lost his "pop".

When softy gets something wrong, he looks to blame someone else for not making his projection come true.

Take for example the AGon trade: I claimed we'd trade something like Kelly, Rizzo and Bowden for AGon, but softy insisted the Padres would want and demand Ellsbury and Lowrie (both about to get raises in upcoming arb years).

When the deal came down almost exactly like I called it (I even said they'd make a "wink-wink" deal to extend him after the season started so as not to effect the luxury tax that year), softy claimed I was wrong, he was right, and it was the "incomeptent Padre management" that was the issue and that he was "still right" and I was "wrong".

That's classic softy.

Clown spin.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

That's why I mostly ignore him and why I'm not on this site anywhere near as often as I used to be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

That's why I mostly ignore him and why I'm not on this site anywhere near as often as I used to be.

[/QUOTE]

That's too bad for us, jid. We'd like to see more of you around, but I understand your concerns.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Fireman is out of control, completely dominating the board with stupid new OPs and making it generally un-fun to talk baseball, and right during the playoffs too, a real drag.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Grasping fort straws.

Basking in his own perceived glory.

Deluded beyond any possible hope of treatment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, I love this site for what vim different people bring to the table: Boom loves the kids and keeps us informed, Jid gets us pumped with his ST reports and balanced views (Don't disappear Jid--just ignore...), and you keep us straight with the stats if our theories start to get too wacky.  But every so often what I really like that you do is call for something that amazingly comes to pass.  After the first game, you said something like, OK, they're pitching great, it's going to be a tough series, but the RS have been resilient all year, they've always found a way--they'll be fine.  As I watched every second of yesterday's game and things seemed blacker than black--and then that totally amazing end, I couldn't get what you said out of my mind.  Go Sox!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Jid, several years ago I got Fed up with Softy.  Though he hadn't actually been rude to me, I hated his condescending and rude remarks to others which affected the fun I get here.  So I don't even Know how to put someone on ignore--but whenever I see his name in whatever carnation, I just don't read it or anyone's response to him.  I'm quite happy with my approach and agree with you--don't think he's a fan of RS--just a fan of trying to irritate others.  Please don't deprive the rest of us from yoin views because of him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, I love this site for what vim different people bring to the table: Boom loves the kids and keeps us informed, Jid gets us pumped with his ST reports and balanced views (Don't disappear Jid--just ignore...), and you keep us straight with the stats if our theories start to get too wacky.  But every so often what I really like that you do is call for something that amazingly comes to pass.  After the first game, you said something like, OK, they're pitching great, it's going to be a tough series, but the RS have been resilient all year, they've always found a way--they'll be fine.  As I watched every second of yesterday's game and things seemed blacker than black--and then that totally amazing end, I couldn't get what you said out of my mind.  Go Sox!!!

[/QUOTE]

I know I was pretty negative last winter and early spring. For a long long time, I was one of the last posters to give up on a Sox season. I started to doubt this team and wondered if we had looked so good on paper and continued to underperform, maybe I was expecting too much: like perfect health and top seasons from several players. 

I adjusted my thinking at the wrong time. I did not expect things to work out this well. I thought Ben should have gotten a big named player to fill one of our two biggest needs: middle order hitter (J Upton?) or top of rotation starter (A Sanchez), or set ourselves up for 2014 and beyond. I felt Ben did neither, and instead "played it halfway" as I called it.

That being said, I never gave up on this team. I am always and will always be the best Sox fan on this earth. I have been thrilled by the ride so far, and don't want the ride to end until the champagne is flowing.

I like our chances. I'm nto saying we are the favorites after losing home field advantage, but we are a never-say-die team. We have Peavy instead of the two D starters. That's a big plus. We have Uehara and Breslow. We have a balanced offensive attack that goes 10-11 players deep. We have a horse named Papi to ride us off into the sunset, if needed.

What's not to love about this team... every last piece of it!

The naysayers can pick away at our weaknesses, and I can understand their position, since I was there a few times this year, but it's playoff time and anything goes. Time to be a fan and just root for the Sox and expect the best.

Get to Verlander earlt guy! This no hit crahpola is bugging me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Boom, you're right about Det. D.  Fielder should have made that catch off Salty.  Fans were going for it, but  it was IN HIS GLOVE and after several replays, I don't think fans even jostled the glove.  I think Moon (someone here...) has called for some bunts to third to test Cabrera--you think we'll see that?

Sections
Shortcuts