A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

Moon, I was right with you last spring until Boom called us out and said support what we got and try being a Polly.  Now I love these guys, Vic and Gomes, the young guys, the growth of Salty, Doobie, the way ELLS is playing...I've cowboyEd up, and I'm in it for however long the rodeo lasts and these guys have been a blast this year.  I even saw Dan Shaunessey laugh about that game yesterday and I haven't seen him smile for ten years!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Boom, you're right about Det. D.  Fielder should have made that catch off Salty.  Fans were going for it, but  it was IN HIS GLOVE and after several replays, I don't think fans even jostled the glove.  I think Moon (someone here...) has called for some bunts to third to test Cabrera--you think we'll see that?

Yes, Fielder cringed and looked away before the ball met his glove.

I like the idea of bunting to Miggy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I love this site for what vim different people bring to the table: Boom loves the kids and keeps us informed, Jid gets us pumped with his ST reports and balanced views (Don't disappear Jid--just ignore...), and you keep us straight with the stats if our theories start to get too wacky.  But every so often what I really like that you do is call for something that amazingly comes to pass.  After the first game, you said something like, OK, they're pitching great, it's going to be a tough series, but the RS have been resilient all year, they've always found a way--they'll be fine.  As I watched every second of yesterday's game and things seemed blacker than black--and then that totally amazing end, I couldn't get what you said out of my mind.  Go Sox!!!

I know I was pretty negative last winter and early spring. For a long long time, I was one of the last posters to give up on a Sox season. I started to doubt this team and wondered if we had looked so good on paper and continued to underperform, maybe I was expecting too much: like perfect health and top seasons from several players. 

I adjusted my thinking at the wrong time. I did not expect things to work out this well. I thought Ben should have gotten a big named player to fill one of our two biggest needs: middle order hitter (J Upton?) or top of rotation starter (A Sanchez), or set ourselves up for 2014 and beyond. I felt Ben did neither, and instead "played it halfway" as I called it.

That being said, I never gave up on this team. I am always and will always be the best Sox fan on this earth. I have been thrilled by the ride so far, and don't want the ride to end until the champagne is flowing.

I like our chances. I'm nto saying we are the favorites after losing home field advantage, but we are a never-say-die team. We have Peavy instead of the two D starters. That's a big plus. We have Uehara and Breslow. We have a balanced offensive attack that goes 10-11 players deep. We have a horse named Papi to ride us off into the sunset, if needed.

What's not to love about this team... every last piece of it!

The naysayers can pick away at our weaknesses, and I can understand their position, since I was there a few times this year, but it's playoff time and anything goes. Time to be a fan and just root for the Sox and expect the best.

Get to Verlander earlt guy! This no hit crahpola is bugging me.

Moon, I was right with you last spring until Boom called us out and said support what we got and try being a Polly.  Now I love these guys, Vic and Gomes, the young guys, the growth of Salty, Doobie, the way ELLS is playing...I've cowboyEd up, and I'm in it for however long the rodeo lasts and these guys have been a blast this year.  I even saw Dan Shaunessey laugh about that game yesterday and I haven't seen him smile for ten years!

I was never going to not support this team, as I'm sure you weren't either. I always root 100% for the Sox, and being critical at times does not lessen my fan ranking, nor yours.

Overall, I have been more a "polly" than almost anyone, until last winter. I wish I could take a mulligan, but I'll take a ring instead!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon and Crit thanks for the kind words. Crit it's easy to ignore; there's a little icon in the bottom right of every post; click on it and the pest is gone. But his posts do show up when others respond to them, which is how I know he's all over the board lately. Moon, I debated a bit with you over the winter and into the spring. I was certain they would be better than than you suspected. I did not see them coming together this completely. I said earlier that this team can win any type of game which makes them the best bet to go all the way. Their great success probably has Ben and the rest of the Front Office rethinking future plans

Tonight is another example. Great pitching! And most of that coming from a starter who nobody around here wanted or liked. One great swing! And that swing coming from a guy people have been killing on this board. It's hard not to love this team. Makes you want to see them keep it together for another year or so, but the economics may not work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Moon and Crit thanks for the kind words. Crit it's easy to ignore; there's a little icon in the bottom right of every post; click on it and the pest is gone. But his posts do show up when others respond to them, which is how I know he's all over the board lately. Moon, I debated a bit with you over the winter and into the spring. I was certain they would be better than than you suspected. I did not see them coming together this completely. I said earlier that this team can win any type of game which makes them the best bet to go all the way. Their great success probably has Ben and the rest of the Front Office rethinking future plans

Tonight is another example. Great pitching! And most of that coming from a starter who nobody around here wanted or liked. One great swing! And that swing coming from a guy people have been killing on this board. It's hard not to love this team. Makes you want to see them keep it together for another year or so, but the economics may not work.

There is a way to keep everybody and not go over the cap, well everybody important.

1) Restructure Lackey's deal, whcih is something like $15.25M in 2014 and $750K in 2015, to $8.25M per season. That knocks about $7M off the luxury tax budget for 2014 (and adds it to the 2015 budget).

2) Trade Dempster for a low level prospect. We save $13.5M if we don't have to pay anything and open up a roster slot for a borderline rule 5 player.

My guess is that would free up over $20M or close to it, if we eat part of Demster's deal.

That's enough to sign Ellsbury, Napoli, Salty, and Drew, but my guess is Drew walks regardless. Ben wants Bogey at SS not 3B.

I'm still pretty certain Ellsbury and Drew walk, but who knows?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I forgot to mention this last night: on Salty's game-winning hard hit ground single past the SS in game 2, did nayone else notice how Gomes almost stopped between home and 3B to watch the play?

What if Iggy got the ball and threw him out at home?

Yikes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Fielder ended up being worse than many projected defensively. Not saving Iglesias's throw the other day was downright horrid. Personally, I'm glad we didn't sign him. That was a good call.

Crit, Softy called me a "moron" my very first day on this website. I proceeded to get in it with him literally for a couple years maybe. Recently the data has added up and shown him to be basically analyzing by coin flip. He has gotten it wrong so many times, in such huge ways, I don't even bother with him much any more. The man is clearly sick. We should probably look at it from that perspective. It's too bad but it happens. No reason to make it worse. He needs our prayers. He's a very sick man and I hope he finds some sort of happiness eventually and can find meaning in his life in some manner. I would recommend a new hobby. Probably one with lots of exercize like bike riding or something.

I almost died earlier this year and didn't want to bring it up. I'm better now but my point is that we shouldn't let others get to us. Life is way too short. Many of us have personal issues we have to deal with and some of us have very challenged lives. There is a wide cross section of humanity here. I try to remember that there but by the grace of god go each of us. I hope we can all get along. I've had death threats against me here and all sorts of crazy insults. It's one reason I generally stay on this thread. It's an oasis of sanity. Why bother with the riff raff! That doesn't mean I don't care but half the time when I stood up for people on this site it just made it worse.

Anyway, is this team great or what! This has been a great season. Let's enjoy it to the max!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think that TJ surgury gave Lackey a better curveball than he had even when younger. Lackey was probably the key reason for me to have hope last winter. It made sense that he might have a solid comeback, as with Lester and Buchholz as well. I think we have a stud folks! We absolutely are favored now I would think, to make it to the WS. Wednesday is a key game. If we can nail down that win, with Peavy, all we have to do is win one more after than from Sanchez, Verlander or Sherzer, which is a tall order in itself. And the more time we get to know their pen, the better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I think that TJ surgury gave Lackey a better curveball than he had even when younger. Lackey was probably the key reason for me to have hope last winter. It made sense that he might have a solid comeback, as with Lester and Buchholz as well. I think we have a stud folks! We absolutely are favored now I would think, to make it to the WS. Wednesday is a key game. If we can nail down that win, with Peavy, all we have to do is win one more after than from Sanchez, Verlander or Sherzer, which is a tall order in itself. And the more time we get to know their pen, the better.

Makes me wonder if he had had the TJ surgery the winter we signed him, we'd have gotten much better results from him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fielder ended up being worse than many projected defensively. Not saving Iglesias's throw the other day was downright horrid. Personally, I'm glad we didn't sign him. That was a good call.

Crit, Softy called me a "moron" my very first day on this website. I proceeded to get in it with him literally for a couple years maybe. Recently the data has added up and shown him to be basically analyzing by coin flip. He has gotten it wrong so many times, in such huge ways, I don't even bother with him much any more. The man is clearly sick. We should probably look at it from that perspective. It's too bad but it happens. No reason to make it worse. He needs our prayers. He's a very sick man and I hope he finds some sort of happiness eventually and can find meaning in his life in some manner. I would recommend a new hobby. Probably one with lots of exercize like bike riding or something.

I almost died earlier this year and didn't want to bring it up. I'm better now but my point is that we shouldn't let others get to us. Life is way too short. Many of us have personal issues we have to deal with and some of us have very challenged lives. There is a wide cross section of humanity here. I try to remember that there but by the grace of god go each of us. I hope we can all get along. I've had death threats against me here and all sorts of crazy insults. It's one reason I generally stay on this thread. It's an oasis of sanity. Why bother with the riff raff! That doesn't mean I don't care but half the time when I stood up for people on this site it just made it worse.

Anyway, is this team great or what! This has been a great season. Let's enjoy it to the max!

I'm glad you are doing better.

softy has been worse than a coin flip. He's been wrong by a wide margin. One might wonder how over such a long time, anyone could do worse than a coin flip rate of success. Well, when prejudice and doubling down on falty reasoning is involved, it's easy to see how one can end up wrong so often. His calls on Ellsbury alone have been drastically wrong again and again. When he denies his earlier positions, I count that as being wrong again. So when softy is wrong once, he turns it into 20 wrongs.

I get your frustration. There are more clowns here than just softy. I had one guy research me and out my real name, my father's name, and the exact location I was vacationing that summer. Creapy! (Then, some other posters defended him.)

I guess when you visit sites with anonymous posters, thuis sort of thing should be expected, but it still creaps me out how clownish and destructive some people can be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm glad you are doing better.

softy has been worse than a coin flip. He's been wrong by a wide margin. One might wonder how over such a long time, anyone could do worse than a coin flip rate of success. Well, when prejudice and doubling down on falty reasoning is involved, it's easy to see how one can end up wrong so often. His calls on Ellsbury alone have been drastically wrong again and again. When he denies his earlier positions, I count that as being wrong again. So when softy is wrong once, he turns it into 20 wrongs.

I get your frustration. There are more clowns here than just softy. I had one guy research me and out my real name, my father's name, and the exact location I was vacationing that summer. Creapy! (Then, some other posters defended him.)

I guess when you visit sites with anonymous posters, thuis sort of thing should be expected, but it still creaps me out how clownish and destructive some people can be.

That was pike and I emailed Teresa personally to let her know after I read that. Hes basically been banned since. Even if he comes back and does nothing wrong, he will be banned for doing that to you. Hes also tried it with jessey, NHSteven, and Geo. hes one disturbed individual.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That was pike and I emailed Teresa personally to let her know after I read that. Hes basically been banned since. Even if he comes back and does nothing wrong, he will be banned for doing that to you. Hes also tried it with jessey, NHSteven, and Geo. hes one disturbed individual.

Thanks for doing that for me. I did notice it got erased pretty quickly afterwards, so not many people read it.

I don't get why a few posters come to sites like this without baseball in their thoughts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

First,  I'm glad you're doing we'll Boom.  Good thoughts from you and I really look forward to your comments here.

Now I'm no authority on pitching and would like to hear from SPaw et al in regard to tonight's game, but I would like to give my reaction.  I didn't think Peavey's stuff was all that bad.  I didn't see bad pitches or no control of his pitches; what I think I saw was really poor pace and rhythm, a  "picking away" at the plate with maybe no confidence that his stuff was good enough to get guys out.  Once I saw him wave Salty off multiple times, then throw his pitch and give up a sharp hit.  After that late visit he threw a little better.  He seemed to miss that whole early season message from the coaches, pace, step up and fire.  He didn't seem to have his usual fire?  What's up?  Stage getting too big?  In contrast I thought Doobie and Workman threw with pace and let their stuff do the work.  Peavey didn't appear to want anything to do with the strike zone.  Nibble nibble.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

First,  I'm glad you're doing we'll Boom.  Good thoughts from you and I really look forward to your comments here.

Now I'm no authority on pitching and would like to hear from SPaw et al in regard to tonight's game, but I would like to give my reaction.  I didn't think Peavey's stuff was all that bad.  I didn't see bad pitches or no control of his pitches; what I think I saw was really poor pace and rhythm, a  "picking away" at the plate with maybe no confidence that his stuff was good enough to get guys out.  Once I saw him wave Salty off multiple times, then throw his pitch and give up a sharp hit.  After that late visit he threw a little better.  He seemed to miss that whole early season message from the coaches, pace, step up and fire.  He didn't seem to have his usual fire?  What's up?  Stage getting too big?  In contrast I thought Doobie and Workman threw with pace and let their stuff do the work.  Peavey didn't appear to want anything to do with the strike zone.  Nibble nibble.

For a guy with a great WHIP over the years, he really got wild. The botched DP ball really hurt, but he needed to bear down, and he didn't.

After the first inning, I felt very confident that Peavy had is "game on", but he kept nibbling, even to weak hitters. I thought the pitching coach should have come out before the walk with the bases loaded- not after. (Not sure it would have changed anything)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Peavy has had a couple opportunities to be the "man" in a playoff environment and failed miserably now. The other was the WBC several years ago. The Tigers had seen a lot of him before though which did not bode well of course. I really like the guy but I've got to admit that for a guy who historically has shown good command, he didn't get it done at all. 

I'd probably go with Doubront if we get another slot for a 4th starter at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's still a small sample size, so I'd give him one more shot, at least. (Have Doubront ready for a long relief stint)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm pulling for the NLCS to go 7.

I hope we play the Dodgers, after getting past the pesky Tigers first!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

How are we going to get that last win?  Buch isn't anywhere near back to the way he was before the 3 month absence and he's going against the probable cy young winner, and then, can Lackey really beat Verlander again?  He'll have to have that same curveball working to have a shot.  I don't know, hope we can find a way, but I'd feel a lot better overall if Buch were who he can be and not what he is right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch has looked like the old Buch a few times since returning. Let's hope he can find the groove Saturday.

The Sox have done well vs great pitchers quite often this year. I think we can muster up enough runs to win one of the nest two, but right now, the two pitchers we are about to face look as tough as they get.

Our pen will be rested.

I think napoli's bomb sent a message to Sox hitters. We have to stay loose and jump on the pitches that are hittable, not ones in the dirt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I think you'll see a different Buch on Saturday. He was their best pitcher the first half of the season and I believe he rediscovers that magic. His stuff is electric when he is on and the Tigers will swing and miss at balls that move alot. No pitcher in the AL has more natural movement on his pitches than Buch. He overthrew in game two, which limits both his movement and control. Pitching with a series lead and at home should have him more relaxed to the point that he simply trusts his stuff. I think in game two he felt the pressure of the team being behind and struggling against Mad Max. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Peavey looked like a deer in the headlights.  He even looked like he was having trouble with his eyes at one point.  Maybe he couldn't see Salty's signs.

But tonight--YEAH BABY!  Two in Boston...Go Buch...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Guys I'm truly in a state of shock.  About three weeks ago I found out about a little restaurant/bar down the street where the owner/patrons are all RS/PATS fans.  I've been hanging out there for three weeks and today I go in and the owner who's friends with Pedey, shown me their emails, signed base from Japan when they played the A's, etc. says "Hey, want to go to the sixth or seventh game of the WS if we get in?"  So I say I'd love to but couldn't afford the tickets.  He says  don't worry, Dustin's got the tickets.  I say what about your wife, and he says she doesn't care about it or understand it, or want to go, he knows I've been in his place every day and wants me to go.  I'm so pumped right now but I'm trying to keep my head.  He has all kinds of pictures with himself and Petey and Farrell and others in the dugout at Fenway on his cell phone.  I feel like I'm twelve again...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Guys I'm truly in a state of shock.  About three weeks ago I found out about a little restaurant/bar down the street where the owner/patrons are all RS/PATS fans.  I've been hanging out there for three weeks and today I go in and the owner who's friends with Pedey, shown me their emails, signed base from Japan when they played the A's, etc. says "Hey, want to go to the sixth or seventh game of the WS if we get in?"  So I say I'd love to but couldn't afford the tickets.  He says  don't worry, Dustin's got the tickets.  I say what about your wife, and he says she doesn't care about it or understand it, or want to go, he knows I've been in his place every day and wants me to go.  I'm so pumped right now but I'm trying to keep my head.  He has all kinds of pictures with himself and Petey and Farrell and others in the dugout at Fenway on his cell phone.  I feel like I'm twelve again...

You are 12 again!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If i could pull your beard from NY i definitely would. definitely tug-worthy!

GET ME BIG NUMBAH TWOS AUTOGRAPH!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Buch has looked like the old Buch a few times since returning. Let's hope he can find the groove Saturday.

The Sox have done well vs great pitchers quite often this year. I think we can muster up enough runs to win one of the nest two, but right now, the two pitchers we are about to face look as tough as they get.

Our pen will be rested.

I think napoli's bomb sent a message to Sox hitters. We have to stay loose and jump on the pitches that are hittable, not ones in the dirt.

we've said all year that when Napoli is hot he can carry this offense. Well Napoli is hot and at the perfect time.
    LETS EFFFIN' GO SOX!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts