A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

At least we know we do not need another starter for April 2014. We are locked and loaded.

I am happy with Victorino but you have to assume he will hit the DL eventually... so counting on him  to play CF and perhaps lead-off is dangerous. 

personally i think he should be shut down and rested until the playoffs. especially after seeing him hobbled after a catch in right center a few days ago. bring him back around the same time as you do jacoby. With just enough games left for them to get heated up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At least we know we do not need another starter for April 2014. We are locked and loaded.

I am happy with Victorino but you have to assume he will hit the DL eventually... so counting on him  to play CF and perhaps lead-off is dangerous. 

I agree, but I don't think a Victorino/JBJ combo in CF is a big setback, as long as we pick up a decent RF'er. Maybe we pick up a guy like Morse or Hart, who can play 1B too, so if JBJ and Victorino both do well and stay healthy, there's a spot for them to play elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

They have got to be thinking about Abreu. I bet he's target A.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty is a no-brainer on a 3-4 year deal. Lavarnway isnt in his class, and I doubt he ever will be. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Give the kid a 1b mit. Big power at 1b. I bet when his body isnt tired from catching his offensive numbers will go way up again. 25HR, 360+OBP, 280-300BA. Salty is a natural catcher and Lavarnway as a catcher just looks forced and NOT natural like Salty or a Vasquez. Hes a good option as a BUC/1b/DH

Webster and RDLR havent had enough MLB time to make any judgements. You have to have more patience. They will probably go nowhere. I could see Doubront, Lackey, or Dempster being moved this winter. I believe Workman will be a regular 200IP a year pitcher with solid stuff. He could be a front line starter in a couple years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

If we did go for a free agent outfielder, Hunter Pence has had a strong year for the Giants.  He's got about 20HR, 80 RBI, hasn't missed a game.  He plays hard, his teammates love him.  Probably best player on team this year, definitely in top three.  Supposedly he wants to stay and SF wants to keep him, but they don't always open up the wallet very far.  Here I get to watch him a lot--always hustles, good on the bases, lots of tools.  Wouuld fit in we'll...Got 7 RBI against Dodgers last week.

Critter

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Critter

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was down on Pence idea, but have warmed slightly...IF Ells goes elsewhere

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is that Pence is slightly above Choo on Ben's wish list.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

If I had to think of something negative it might be that he's probably more of a free swinger than our guys; might have to learn how to grind out an at bat.  Oh, he can bunt too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

If I had to think of something negative it might be that he's probably more of a free swinger than our guys; might have to learn how to grind out an at bat.  Oh, he can bunt too.

The .340 OBP is decent, but not great.

Choo would make a better leadoff guy, but I think Pence may be Ben's top choice to replace Ellsbury. (moving Shane to CF)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I have always liked Pence but the Giants definitely want to keep him. He definitely gets a QO. That alone drops hm off our list I bet.

Southpaw, I guess we are doomed to disagree on almost all levels. I don't do it on purpose. I just seem to disagree across the board. Salty as a "natural catcher?". Lavarnway hasn't played 1st base since little league I bet. And there is no reason to think his power comes back simply by moving to 1st. He hasn't played enough to be tired this year. His power is down because they pitch him on the outside part of the plate almost every pitch. They don't give him much to hit. He's learning to take it to RF and up the middle and he's getting better at it at least this year.

I don't think Lavarnway is a natural athlete at any position but he is a catcher or he goes to AAA ball forever. When he was in AAA he put up very special numbers for a while there. I think he will come back and he has actually produced pretty well at the mlb level this year. the sample sizes are still pretty small. 

I'm not giving up on De Larosa or Webster but they are not automatic in my estimation either. It is very possible either or both end up in Manny Del Carmenville. They have better stuff than he ever had. They should make it but they both got bodyslammed in mlb this year while guys like Britton and Workman seemed to perform better even with stuff not nearly as good. They will hopefully continue to get better but how many AAA starters can we keep on the 40 man roster? At some point some of these guys need to produce or be moved. And the clock is ticking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My issue with Lava was the same I had with Salty: how long will the learning curve be on handling the staff in a positive way. I gave up on Salty until May of 2012. I'm not giving up on Lava, but it will be hard to give him on-the-job training while remaining competitive.

Sox4ever

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Moving Vazquez to AAA  late this year it seems like the sox are pretty high on him.

Before this year he was a noted defensive catcher however this year he hit about .290 with a high OBP.

However he had about 25 passed balls while playing in only 96 games in AA.

Have any of you northners seem him play recently?

He only had 12 PBs in 2012 in about the same innings.  I'm not sure if he caught the knuckleballer much this year, but that is a big spike to ponder.

He also had  a very nice CS% of 46% this year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think signing Salty to a 2 or 3 year deal gets in the way of any prospects. If the kids prove they can play, trading a good catcher is as easy as sin. We could get a lot for Salty, or Lava, or which ever kid looks great down the road.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Watched the RS pound NY tonight--they are just chewing up the AL.  What a strong run.  SPaw, respect your pitching views so happy to see you high on Workman.  He's impressed me this summer.

Critter

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I like Workman also but think he probably will be a reliever. Or traded to a secondary team who want an innings eater with mediocre performances.

I do think Workman could very well be a solid 7th-8th inning guy. He just doesn't have the repetoire at this point. He needs a solid 4rd pitch. I love his ability to throw strikes though and his durability. He could be a decent # 4 or 5 but is more likely a reliever for the sox IMO. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

JBJR isn't ready for the big time is he? I am glad he is up here getting his experience so his 2014 numbers will be better.... but thankfully we did not have to depend on him this year.

The sample size is small enough to perhaps be just a slump, and have nothing to do with Major league readiness, but he does seem to need to make some adjustments while on his learning curve.

He's lucky to be getting a long look during crunch time. I think he is learning everyday. I like JBJ and think he has a lot of potential, but I'm not ready to pencil him in as our starting CF'er next year. He needs to earn it, which isn't easy on a contending team.

It wouldn't surprise me, if ends up getting traded. I had mentioned his name as part of my suggested offer for J Upton last winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I like Workman also but think he probably will be a reliever. Or traded to a secondary team who want an innings eater with mediocre performances.

I do think Workman could very well be a solid 7th-8th inning guy. He just doesn't have the repetoire at this point. He needs a solid 4rd pitch. I love his ability to throw strikes though and his durability. He could be a decent # 4 or 5 but is more likely a reliever for the sox IMO. 

I'm not sure every pitcher needs a 4th pitch to be a very good pitcher in MLB, but I agree, it would help.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

You don't need a fourth pitch to come out of the pen (Mo Rivera) and the sox are in a position to allow their younger starters to earn their stripes coming out of the pen while waiting for spots in the rotation to open up. Dempster, Peavy and Lester deals are done after 2014, assuming they exercize Lester's option, and it's reasonable to expect that only Lester will be retained beyond 2014. People forget that pretty good pitchers like Koufax and Pedro Martinez did their apprenticeships in the bullpen before earning spots in the starting rotation. We are in a very enviable position amongst MLB teams with our current pitching depth, so much so that we could be in a position of trading from strength or being able to handle a prospect or two becoming duds, or both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

You don't need a fourth pitch to come out of the pen (Mo Rivera) and the sox are in a position to allow their younger starters to earn their stripes coming out of the pen while waiting for spots in the rotation to open up. Dempster, Peavy and Lester deals are done after 2014, assuming they exercize Lester's option, and it's reasonable to expect that only Lester will be retained beyond 2014. People forget that pretty good pitchers like Koufax and Pedro Martinez did their apprenticeships in the bullpen before earning spots in the starting rotation. We are in a very enviable position amongst MLB teams with our current pitching depth, so much so that we could be in a position of trading from strength or being able to handle a prospect or two becoming duds, or both.

Agreed, and you don't really need 4 pitches to be a starter either... as long as you have 3 good ones.

Here's a look at all the pitchers we have under team control next year:

Buchholz

Lester (team option)

Peavy

Lackey

Doubront

Dempster

Morales

Webster

Ranaudo

Wright

Barnes