A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

Some interesting pitching factoids:

1) Peavy is already 9th in team IP at 51.2.

2) Uehara is a God. (No that is not an opinion.)

3) Uehara has an ERA+ of 391, which is over a 100 better than Buch.

4) We have 5 starters with a 100 or more ERA+ and 3 relievers with 150+.

5) Back to Uehara: opponents have a .393 OPS against him with a .163 OBP.

6) The league average OPS against is .728. The Sox have just one pitcher with over 40 IP above that mark (Dempster at .778).

7) Buch has a 79% Quality Start number, Lackey 67, Peavy 63, Lester 61, Doubront 58, and Dempster 46%.

8) IP/GS: Buch 6.8, Lester 6.5, Peavy 6.5, Lackey 6.5, Demp 5.8, Doub 5.7

9) WHIP: Ueh 0.562, Buch 1.007, Peavy 1.084, Bresl 1.145, Taz 1.163,

Lack 1.193, Doubr 1.416, Demp 1.463

10) Inherited Runner Scored Percent (20+ IRs or 39+ IP): Workman 9%, Miller 22%, Uehara 32%, Bres 32%, Tazawa 32% (League 30%).

11) Pitches per PA: Lackey 3.7, Buch 3.8, Lest 3.9, Demp 4.0, Doub 4.0.

12) K/9: Miller 14.1, Uehara 12.5, Bailey 12.2, de la Torre 11.9, Workman 10.2, Tazawa 9.5, Buch 8.5, Demp 8.4, Doub 7.9, Lack 7.6, Lest 7.4... Peavy 5.6

13) K/BB: Uehara 10.44, Tazawa 5.75, Lackey 4.00

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our top 9 guys by PAs all have an OPS over .758.

Our number 11 guy, Iggy was at .785, and our #12 guy Carp, is at .921.

We have 7 guys over .779 and 440 PAs.

In contrast, the Tigers have 2 of their top 9 PAs guys at .688.

Their 10, 11, & 12 PA guys are between .609 and .731.

The Tigers have 3 guys over .779 and 440 PAs, but have Peralta .822/436 PAs and Infante  .784/431 close by. Still, that would make only 5 to our 7.

Balance has been our key.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Well Boom IF that kid Workman gets into the starting rotation next year, I say he gets as many wins as whoever gets the most this year among Doobie, Lackey, or Dempster.  If he's a starter and doesn't do that, then I'll buy you two Maine lobsters, and if you don't live too far away, I'll cook them too.  I'm no Polly when it comes to this kid.

Critter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:

Well Boom IF that kid Workman gets into the starting rotation next year, I say he gets as many wins as whoever gets the most this year among Doobie, Lackey, or Dempster.  If he's a starter and doesn't do that, then I'll buy you two Maine lobsters, and if you don't live too far away, I'll cook them too.  I'm no Polly when it comes to this kid.

Critter

I still think Owens and Ranaudo are our two prime pitching prospects. Webster is 3rd in my book.

Although soxprospects.com has barnes ahead of Workman, I'd call them about tied. Ball and Britton are in the same area on soxprospects.com.

Some are closer to ML ready than others, but here's how soxprospects.com rates the pitchers:

3) Owens

5) Webster

6) Ranaudo

7) Barnes

9) Ball

10) Workman

11) Britton

14) Johnson

15) Stankiewicz

19) Luis Diaz

23) Buttrey

24) Callahan

26) Wilson

33) Kukuk

34) Gomez

35) Mercedes

36) Light

37) McGrath

39) Huntzinger

41) M Smith

45) C Martin

46) S Wright

47) K Couch

48) N Ramirez

49) M Pena

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Critter

Polly... er..I mean Crit! Cool ( I'm just kidding Crit..I'm the biggest Polly here and we are just now leaning at the finish line. We are both Pollys! )

I agree that Workman is a great young pitcher. I like him a lot. I believe I have been one of his biggest and earliest advocates here but he doesn't have a lot of pitches in his bag of tricks and the 2nd and 3rd time through a lineup are not going to be friendly for him!

All that said the guy throws strikes and he should be durable as heck. And if he can maintain his level of control can he be a Bronson Arroyo round 2? Of course he can. Some guys can live off their fastball command forever. And I do like his curve as well. I believe he has a little bit of a cutter going on as well if I remember correctly. I'm not disagreeing that he could be a decent starter. I'm saying for us, with really 6 veteran starters already under contract for next year, not counting Morales or any of the other prospects really, I think Workman is going to have a hard time working into the rotation. I also think he is better suited to the pen right now. Maybe even as a 7th or 8th inning guy though. He is of substantial value.

Those numbers Moon cited above for Workman are pretty cool. If he doesn't allow many inherited runners to score that is a very good thing. I like his mental toughness.

His underlying data is better than his current ERA. He is probably under rated by most people here I bet.

Which brings me to a point which needs to be said. Soxprospects is clearly the best resource we have in evaluating prospects but they are not always correct either are they. Remember Lars Anderson? Yamaico Navaro? Lin? Lots of guys who were in favor but never really lived up to the billing and others who were talented ( like Workman IMO ) who were never given enough credit. I'd add Lavarnway and Nava to that list also and of course there are more. Iglesias even. I don't think Nava ever cracked the top 10 and when I advocated for him it was an avalanche of "forget about him. He's too old. He'll never make it". And the guy keep hitting .340 every year with extremely good obp.

Workman never cracked much into the top 10 for them either as far as I can tell but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he tops everyone they have down there except Owens. I'm not projecting that but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. I'm not ruling Webster out but if he can't keep his pitches down all the time he is going to get hammered. Rubby has the best change up in the organization except Buchholz but if he doesn't have better fastball command he will never even make it as a good reliever. Barnes needs to develop his secondary stuff a lot. Ranaudo needs work on his secondary stuff also. Some guys never, ever get it no matter how auspicious their beginnings. 

I like Trey Ball a lot also but there is no way he would have been my top pick. He pitched in Indiana against light weight competition and he is just flat out a very high risk, high reward type guy. Too risky in my opinion for a #7 pick. Hopefully we will strike lightning. I'd like to remain a Polly for years to come!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RP, yes soxprospects has gotten some guys way way wrong, but for the most part, they have been pretty close.

As far as I can tell, Workman started out at #19 back in 9/10 and got as high as #14 in 2011 and #11 in 2012. He started this year out at #14 and on June 13 was rated #11. He was recently bumped up to #10.

I looked back as far as 2003 to see if any soxprospects.com players ranked 10 or below made it to a significant major league level of play. 

2003: Manny Delcarmen was rated #20. 

2004: David Murphy was #20 & Anibal Sanchez #13, & Shoppach was #10  as Delcarmen rose to #8.

2005: Lowrie started at #14 & Ellsbury #13 as Murphy rose to #11 and Delcarmen fell back to #13.

2006: Lowrie rose to #7. Ells to #1 & Delcarmen to #5, Doubront started at #14 & Lars at 12.

2007: Doubront started at #16 then fell off the list. Kottaras was #19. Middlebrooks started at 12 and Reddick 11.

2008: Reddick started at 12 & Middlebrooks 10. Doubront showed up at 16 and Kalish broke in at #12 by September and Weiland #15.

2009: Middlebrooks started at 19, Stephen Fife at 18.

2010: Doubront made it to 6, Kalish to 3, Reddick to 8 and Middy to 10.

2011: Kalish and Middy made it to #1, Doubront 3 and Lava to 9.

The  top 3 ranked players since 2003 (3 rankings per year)?

2003: F Sanchez, Youkilis, Lester, J. de la Rosa (Shopp 4)

2004: H Ramirez, Youkilis, Lester, B Moss, Pedroia, Shopp, A Alvarez (Paps 4)

2005: H Ramirez, Papelbon, Lester, B Moss, Pedroia, A Sanchez

2006: Ellsbury, Lester, Paps, Buchholz, C Hansen, M Bowden (Pedey 4)

2007: Ellsbury, Buchholz, Bowden (Masterson, Lars, Pedey 4)

2008: Buchholz, Masterson, Lars, Ells, Bowden, Lowrie, Reddick

2009: Lars, C Kelly, Reddick, Bowden, Kalish, Bard (Westmoreland4)

2010: C Kelley, Reddick, Kalish, Lars, Rizzo

2011: Kalish, Middy, Iggy, Ranaudo, Doubront (Britton/Bogey 4)

2012: Middy, Bogey, Barnes, Ranaudo, JBJ (Iggy/Webster 4)

2013: Bogey, JBJ, Webster, Barnes, Owens (Cecchini 4)

Not really that many misses here.

I count about 23 different players ranked 1 to 2 from 2003 to 2010.

Only 5 have not done much: A Alvarez, Bowden, C Hansen, Lars & Kelly

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey Boom, you taught me how to be a Polly.  I don't think I'll have to come up with the lobsters because he probably will be a reliever next year.  But I don't think you guys give him enough love. Here's what I think I saw this summer.  Every time he was given a start he pitched a tight close game, giving the team a solid chance to win.  Seems like his record was about 2-3, but that was more about runs scored than his pitching.  I don't remember a bad game.  I recall him being called in long relief a couple times and pulling the game out after someone else's poor start.  I do recall one bad outing but I honestly thought Farrell--who has made few mistakes--really put him in a bad place where he didn't belong, and the next day the Boston beat writers said the same.  he seems poised, tough, a bit of a bull  dog.  I liked Webster too, but he seemed "on" this game and "off" next game, like a Typical young pitcher.  Workman seemed more matture.  Right now he is doing it and those other guys are just potential.  I may be blowing him up too much but He may be my favorite "new" player--like Iggy was before the trade.  He got those fast balls and curves over for strikes...                       Critter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

That post above is really interesting Moon.  it's fun to see those names in the near past and ponder what they've done.  I was all about Bowden too-- saw that big body and thought he could have it all--alas, he could never put it all together.  I loved Masterson too.  We've really a few guys doing well for other teams...Thanks for that look...

Critter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That post above is really interesting Moon.  it's fun to see those names in the near past and ponder what they've done.  I was all about Bowden too-- saw that big body and thought he could have it all--alas, he could never put it all together.  I loved Masterson too.  We've really a few guys doing well for other teams...Thanks for that look...

Critter

This was just 2009!

2009: Lars, C Kelly, Reddick, Bowden, Kalish, Bard (Westmoreland 4)

All gone now.... well, kalish is here but never here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

RP, yes soxprospects has gotten some guys way way wrong, but for the most part, they have been pretty close.

As far as I can tell, Workman started out at #19 back in 9/10 and got as high as #14 in 2011 and #11 in 2012. He started this year out at #14 and on June 13 was rated #11. He was recently bumped up to #10.

I looked back as far as 2003 to see if any soxprospects.com players ranked 10 or below made it to a significant major league level of play. 

2004: David Murphy was #20 & Anibal Sanchez #13, & Shoppach was #10  as Delcarmen rose to #8.

2005: Lowrie started at #14 & Ellsbury #13 as Murphy rose to #11 and Delcarmen fell back to #13.

2006: Lowrie rose to #7. Ells to #1 & Delcarmen to #5, Doubront started at #14 & Lars at 12.

2007: Doubront started at #16 then fell off the list. Kottaras was #19. Middlebrooks started at 12 and Reddick 11.

2008: Reddick started at 12 & Middlebrooks 10. Doubront showed up at 16 and Kalish broke in at #12 by September and Weiland #15.

Sox4ever

that's for the top 2 picks only though Moon. When a guy reaches #1 or 2 he should generally be something. Maybe not a star but an mlb level player for more than a year or 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not trying to be critical of them either. I'm just saying they are not the gospel any more than baseball america is or other top sites. They are a tremendous resource but sometimes even real solid guys get overlooked and like every forum I've ever seen there is a herd mentality where some of the leaders say one thing and most people fall in line. 

Like here Moon. You are like EF Hutton. You talk and everyone listens!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Hey Boom, you taught me how to be a Polly.  I don't think I'll have to come up with the lobsters because he probably will be a reliever next year.  But I don't think you guys give him enough love. Here's what I think I saw this summer.  Every time he was given a start he pitched a tight close game, giving the team a solid chance to win.  Seems like his record was about 2-3, but that was more about runs scored than his pitching.  I don't remember a bad game.  I recall him being called in long relief a couple times and pulling the game out after someone else's poor start.  I do recall one bad outing but I honestly thought Farrell--who has made few mistakes--really put him in a bad place where he didn't belong, and the next day the Boston beat writers said the same.  he seems poised, tough, a bit of a bull  dog.  I liked Webster too, but he seemed "on" this game and "off" next game, like a Typical young pitcher.  Workman seemed more matture.  Right now he is doing it and those other guys are just potential.  I may be blowing him up too much but He may be my favorite "new" player--like Iggy was before the trade.  He got those fast balls and curves over for strikes...                       Critter

I kind of am agreeing Crit. I did say he might end up being one of our top 2 current pitching prospects ( see above ). I gave Owens an edge and one or 2 of the other guys may well top him just from sheer numbers but I think he is right there with Ranaudo, Barnes, Webster, De Larosa. His stuff may not be as good but he should be durable and the guy throws strikes. Something the other guys have not learned yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

To me Workman has been under rated ever since we drafted him. It happens sometimes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

that's for the top 2 picks only though Moon. When a guy reaches #1 or 2 he should generally be something. Maybe not a star but an mlb level player for more than a year or 2.

[/QUOTE]

No, I listed all players that made it to number 1, 2 or 3 as well as a few #4s of note.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'm not trying to be critical of them either. I'm just saying they are not the gospel any more than baseball america is or other top sites. They are a tremendous resource but sometimes even real solid guys get overlooked and like every forum I've ever seen there is a herd mentality where some of the leaders say one thing and most people fall in line. 

Like here Moon. You are like EF Hutton. You talk and everyone listens!

Of course nobody is perfect at projecting prospects. If they were, they'd be working for a team, not soxprospects.com or Baseball America.

By and large, soxprospects does a pretty good job, and like you said, they are an excellent resource. The ones they got wrong, like Lars, they were not alone. Most services had Lars up pretty high among other Sox prospects.

Their current top 10:

1) Bogey

2) Bradley  (I'd place him #4)

3) Owens (I'd place him #2)

4) Cecchini (I'd put him at #3)

5) Webster (#7)

6) Ranaudo (#5)

7) Barnes (#8)

8) Swihart (#9)

9) Ball  (No idea)

10) Workman (#10)

(I'd have Betts to #6)

Here's a look at some of the biggest gainers in ranking:

Top 20 only

Luis Diaz NR>19

Betts 53>12

Vazquez 25>13

Owens 9>3

Workman 14>10

Britton 15>11

The Next 20:

Wendell Rijo NR>22

Almanzar 47>27

Hassan 35>21 (some here wanted this guy booted off the 40 man)

Buttrey 28>23

H Ramos NR>30

S Gomez NR>34

McGrath NR>37

The Biggest fallers:

Brentz 6>17

Marrero 11>16

Barnes 3>7

de la Cruz 17>29

Wilson 16>26 (pitched pretty well in MLB this year)

Light 21>36

Kukuk 23>33

Holt 24>32

Lin 29>38

Hazelbaker 33>40

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's an amazing look at our recent streak:

Since Aust 24th at LAD, we are 17-5.

However, here are the scores of our 5 losses:

3-2 Bal

3-0 Det

4-3 NYY

4-3 TBR

3-2 Bal

Even our previous 2 losses before these 5 were at these numbers:

2-0 @ LAD

3-2 @ SFG

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Dempster is moved to the pen for the playoffs, I think he might make a fine long relief guy, although hopefully we won't need a long guy.

His last 9 starts...

9/17  4.1 IP with 0 ERs

9/11  5.0 IP with 1 ER

9/4    2.1 IP with 0 ERs

8/30  4.1 IP with 0 ERs (6 IP w 1 ER)

8/18  2.1 IP with 2 ERs

8/13  4.2 IP with 0 ERs (7 IP with 1 ER)

8/7    2.1 IP with 0 ERs (5.1 IP with 2 ER)

8/1    2.1 IP with 1 ER  (4.1 IP w 2 ERs)

7/27  4.0 with 0 ERs (5.0 with 1 ER)

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Didn't realize Swihart was rated higher than Vasquez.  Why do you think that is?  Higher hitting ceiling?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Didn't realize Swihart was rated higher than Vasquez.  Why do you think that is?  Higher hitting ceiling?

I guess so, they have Swihart scaled at 3-7 and Vazquez 2-5. Vazquez is 23 and Swihart 21. Swihart had a .794 OPS at Salem and Vazquez .766 at Por/Paw.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Swihart is an excellent athlete. i like him as a top 5-6 prospect even. I like the concept of putting a real athlete at catcher. A guy who should be able to hit well and field well above average. 

It will be interest to see who even makes the PO roster. We are going to have to drop a few people. Morales? Workman? Britton? There are no guarantees.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Moon, don't mean to bother your thread, but if the Rays wind up 10 games behind the Sox, that woud mean all of the East would be double-digits behind the Sox. Do you know if that has happened before? It's pretty amazing, especially when this year it was thought to be such a tough division. Just curious if you know. Thanks. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Looks like we have guys on the major league roster as well as chips below to get a good power hitter AND upgrade starters if we want...

Critter

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like we have guys on the major league roster as well as chips below to get a good power hitter AND upgrade starters if we want...

Critter

I know Ben likes his kids, but I would not be surprised if we pull off a shocker this winter to get a real big bopper for the middle of our order (more likely), or a true ace for our staff (less likely now, maybe more likely next winter).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Having watched both Swihart and Vasquez play, I can't think of any reason that Vasquez would not be rated higher beyond the two years age difference. I've never seen him make a bad play, but Vasquez does have a lot of passed balls; not sure if some of that is from catching knucklers. I can guarantee that no catcher in the entire organization throws as well as Vasquez. Between the two of these guys, and the likelyhood that Salty will be extended, Lavarnway becomes expendable this off-season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

Critter

I know Ben likes his kids, but I would not be surprised if we pull off a shocker this winter to get a real big bopper for the middle of our order (more likely), or a true ace for our staff (less likely now, maybe more likely next winter).

[/QUOTE]

Moon, beyond Stanton, who might that bopper be? I know nothing about the Cuban that Boom writes about often, but he wouldn't cost any prospects. Stanton comes with a big red flag in my opinion; he leads MLB in errors among outfielders, in spite of missing lots of time. Pence doesn't excite me. I really don't follow the weaker teams enough to know who might fit the bopper discription. I think much of this year's team comes back next year as is and any blockbuster deal would have ramifications for 2015 and beyond.

Sections
Shortcuts