A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

WORLD SERIES, BABY!  Guys, we are so LUcky,  who would have thought this last winter after that nightmare season or while we were all watching the moves--new manager and new hires--and debating each other...that we would actually go to the WS?  Boom, you and others led the charge for the rest of us to become Polly's--but did you really think this team would go to the WORLD SERIES???  High fives to everyone who reads this--you guys are the best fans in the world  and a ton of fun!  This game had everything that makes me love the RS.  Salty's tackle of the mascot (What else can he be now?), the way Pedey handled that whole play, Vic's HR, the adept way the pitching is being used and is responding, Gomes double--he ALWAYS hits when it absolutely counts, Bogey and Workman...our present is great and our future looks the same.  Hey Moon, GO SAWKS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just finished watching on tape delay aboiut a half hour ago (family commitments).

WOW!

I love how all the guys who were slumping and spurred on negative threads, all came through in some way or another.

The small sample knee jerkers should learn a lesson. You don't demote or bench a player based on a 2,3 4 or even 5 or more game slump.

Now, I must admit, I am ashamed of my Realsitic Part I thread, and my lack of hope or vision. I was hopelessly wrong on nearly every detail of our team. What a ride though. In a way, it has made it sweeter for me.

My short list of things I got right:

Loved the Uehara signing and was happy we made him closer

Loved the Gomes signing and said a Nava/Gomes platoon may make LF one of our top offensive positions.

Loved the Ross signing.

Loved the Napoli restructure.

Loved the Papi 2 year deal.

Hated the Dempster signing.

Loved the Breslow extension.

Did not like the Hanrahan deal.

Loved the Farrell trade.

Thought we should extend Salty before his stock went up.

A partial list of all I got wrong:

Thought the Victorino deal was too high and too long.

Hated the Drew signing and wanted Iggy FT.

Wanted us to sign B McCarthy and trade for B Anderson (also wanted to trade for J Upton or Wil Myers.)

Thought we had no chance at all unless Buch and Lester stayed healthy all year and pitched great all year.

Wanted to trade Ellsbury while the draft pick was still attached.

Said I'd rather have A Sanchez rather than Victorino, Drew, and Dempster.

Said we had "virtually no chance to make the playoffs".

Was upset that Ben made no signings or trades that helped us beyond 2014.

Thought Doubront has attitude or motivational issues.

Did not expect much from Lackey.

Expected 81-84 wins and thought the Yanks would win the division and TBR the wild card.

Never been so happy to be so wrong!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

n response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Buch has looked like the old Buch a few times since returning. Let's hope he can find the groove Saturday.

The Sox have done well vs great pitchers quite often this year. I think we can muster up enough runs to win one of the nest two, but right now, the two pitchers we are about to face look as tough as they get.

Our pen will be rested.

I think napoli's bomb sent a message to Sox hitters. We have to stay loose and jump on the pitches that are hittable, not ones in the dirt.

[/QUOTE]

we've said all year that when Napoli is hot he can carry this offense. Well Napoli is hot and at the perfect time.
    LETS EFFFIN' GO SOX!!!!

[/QUOTE]

People assume streaky is bad. Not me. As long as the final numbers end up nice, I'm fine with streaks.

Naps has been known to stay hot for weeks. Let's hope this is one of those.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys I'm truly in a state of shock.  About three weeks ago I found out about a little restaurant/bar down the street where the owner/patrons are all RS/PATS fans.  I've been hanging out there for three weeks and today I go in and the owner who's friends with Pedey, shown me their emails, signed base from Japan when they played the A's, etc. says "Hey, want to go to the sixth or seventh game of the WS if we get in?"  So I say I'd love to but couldn't afford the tickets.  He says  don't worry, Dustin's got the tickets.  I say what about your wife, and he says she doesn't care about it or understand it, or want to go, he knows I've been in his place every day and wants me to go.  I'm so pumped right now but I'm trying to keep my head.  He has all kinds of pictures with himself and Petey and Farrell and others in the dugout at Fenway on his cell phone.  I feel like I'm twelve again...

[/QUOTE]

Go Crit!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The best team in the NL meets the best team in the AL in a rematch of the 67 series. How freaking cool is that! And it looks like Crit is going to go! Wow! What a great playoffs this has been already. It's been a lot of fun to watch and it's kind of like soccer...it's no scoring at all and then BAM they get a run and the place explodes! And when there are 2 grand slams the place explodes big time and both times were at home!

I would be disengenous to say I predicted a WS level performance. I was hoping for a wild card slot at best. This team has really surpassed all expectations. Anyone saying anything more than that is a flat out liar! What a turnaround and it was great to watch!

My dream is that Nava wins a key game with a walk off or a key hit and gets a standing O at Fenway. If he ever gets into a freaking game!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lava starting tonight against a RHP. I think we should try and give Salty rest vs lefties.

de la Torre and Workman sent down: Wright and Peavy added.

Workman cannot be called back up for 10 days. Hmmm...

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

After catching for 15innings Im not surprised Lava is in there.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense, but I still think Salty needs to rest vs LHPs. He's on pace for more innings than ever and has been used more and more vs LHPs since Ross went on the DL.

Workman should start a game in AAA (Wrights spot?) then get called back up.

I get why they did it, but in 5 days we may regret it.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Then again, I bet they use him in relief in AAA. Its actually good because he can get adjusted to it in AAA and then come up here and not have to do worry about it at the MLB level.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I'm surprized the moderator of this forum continues to allow you to post as you are always in BOLD which is like yelling at everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

I just finished watching on tape delay aboiut a half hour ago (family commitments).

WOW!

I love how all the guys who were slumping and spurred on negative threads, all came through in some way or another.

The small sample knee jerkers should learn a lesson. You don't demote or bench a player based on a 2,3 4 or even 5 or more game slump.

Now, I must admit, I am ashamed of my Realsitic Part I thread, and my lack of hope or vision. I was hopelessly wrong on nearly every detail of our team. What a ride though. In a way, it has made it sweeter for me.

My short list of things I got right:

Loved the Uehara signing and was happy we made him closer

Loved the Gomes signing and said a Nava/Gomes platoon may make LF one of our top offensive positions.

Loved the Ross signing.

Loved the Napoli restructure.

Loved the Papi 2 year deal.

Hated the Dempster signing.

Loved the Breslow extension.

Did not like the Hanrahan deal.

Loved the Farrell trade.

Thought we should extend Salty before his stock went up.

A partial list of all I got wrong:

Thought the Victorino deal was too high and too long.

Hated the Drew signing and wanted Iggy FT.

Wanted us to sign B McCarthy and trade for B Anderson (also wanted to trade for J Upton or Wil Myers.)

Thought we had no chance at all unless Buch and Lester stayed healthy all year and pitched great all year.

Wanted to trade Ellsbury while the draft pick was still attached.

Said I'd rather have A Sanchez rather than Victorino, Drew, and Dempster.

Said we had "virtually no chance to make the playoffs".

Was upset that Ben made no signings or trades that helped us beyond 2014.

Thought Doubront has attitude or motivational issues.

Did not expect much from Lackey.

Expected 81-84 wins and thought the Yanks would win the division and TBR the wild card.

Never been so happy to be so wrong!

[/QUOTE]

Even the best GM's in baseball are wrong ALOT! Moonslav you bring alot of baseball knowledge to this board and a great reason alot of people enjoy debating with you. But I can't think of one person who predicted the RS would go this far! I'm an eternal RS opimist and I would only go 90 wins an a shot at the WC. But some years the baseball gods just smile on you, so might as well enjoy the ride. Thought it so ironic that S.Drew would make a play that might have saved the game for RS defensively in the 7th only to watch Iggy make the error that gave Shane the chance to win the game? Baseball gods are smiling on RS! Going to be a good WS, Cardinals are tough, won't be a sweep like 04, but when baseball gods are smiling on you. Go Red Sox!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Moon, since I've been on this site you've called an awful lot right.  I don't think any of us expected this--even Boom says he was hoping they'd just make the playoffs.  Not to be a negative Nellie but there were several things I DIDN'T like about last night's game too.  I didn't like Sanchez?-- is that him?-- in there at all, he hasn't pitched that much, and I definitely would have pulled him after the walk.  He was just too wild to face a quality guy like VMart right there, and in my opinion we're lucky they didn't score several more.  Farrell has been so "on" most of the time it's hard to find fault but I stoop to mention it because I'm thinking the next series might be as heart-pumping tight, and that was something that might have cost us a game. I'm just a little surprised we haven't seen Dempster more as a one or two man reliever--see situation above.  He was usually pretty good through 4/5 innings in the season.  Farrell seems pretty focused on who he wants in there which is ok by me, but I thought we might see Dempster and Peavey in spots.  Are we down to three starters for the Cards?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Here's one discussion I'd like to have here AFTER the WS: compare/ contrast Tito and Farrell's coaching styles.  Think it would be interesting as they worked together and of course now Farrell has his shot.  JF will get more experience next round vs. NL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The last time Uehara walked a batter was August 3rd.  That is amazing!!!   Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Moon, since we're confessing our bad predictions, here are some of my hits and misses. I did say they would win more than they lost and that they would play the game the right way. They showed that much in ST. But I never foresaw (is that a word?) this much success.

Misses...

Thought Bradley would be a big star. Major miss, at least for now.

Said Middlebrooks would drive in 100 runs in the middle of the order. He couldn't even stay in town, let alone the middle of the order.

Thought Buchholz would contend for the Cy. Might have if he stayed healthy.

Thought Hanrahan could be a dominant closer.

Thought Carp and Nava were relatively useless 24th and 25th guys off the bench.

Thought Ciriaco would make a solid utility infielder.

Things I kinda got right....

Lackey would completely change fans' minds with a chiseled new body and great stuff.

Lester looked ready to return to the top of the rotation.

Salty was ready to step up amongst the top backstops in the league.

Napoli would be much better at first base than people expected. And he would have pop.

Pitching would be much improved, top to bottom, behind Farrell and Nieves.

Victorino would be a fan fave and was an extremely sound fundamental player.

Thought Buchholz would contend for the Cy (see above).

Pedroia and Ellsbury would be the most indispensible players on the team.

Now I don't treat this site like my own personal scorecard of what I got right and what I got wrong. I've never been banned, so anyone can check out my previous positions. I really don't care about being right or wrong. But this has certainly been as rewarding and enjoyable a ride as this team has ever given me, and I'm talking about sixty years of fandom. I like our chances against St. Louis, not sure they even make the playoffs in the AL East. And I'm already looking forward to 2014 spring training.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even the best GM's in baseball are wrong ALOT! Moonslav you bring alot of baseball knowledge to this board and a great reason alot of people enjoy debating with you. But I can't think of one person who predicted the RS would go this far! I'm an eternal RS opimist and I would only go 90 wins an a shot at the WC. But some years the baseball gods just smile on you, so might as well enjoy the ride. Thought it so ironic that S.Drew would make a play that might have saved the game for RS defensively in the 7th only to watch Iggy make the error that gave Shane the chance to win the game? Baseball gods are smiling on RS! Going to be a good WS, Cardinals are tough, won't be a sweep like 04, but when baseball gods are smiling on you. Go Red Sox!

Thanks.

Usually I am the last one still optimistic during a season. I finally thought I had been looking at this team through rose colored glasses. I kept expecting our starting pitchers to be healthy and pitch to their capabilties. They never all did at the same time.

I think most people thought we'd do better than I did, so do I accept I was "more wrong" than most.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jcri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, since I've been on this site you've called an awful lot right.  I don't think any of us expected this--even Boom says he was hoping they'd just make the playoffs.  Not to be a negative Nellie but there were several things I DIDN'T like about last night's game too.  I didn't like Sanchez?-- is that him?-- in there at all, he hasn't pitched that much, and I definitely would have pulled him after the walk.  He was just too wild to face a quality guy like VMart right there, and in my opinion we're lucky they didn't score several more.  Farrell has been so "on" most of the time it's hard to find fault but I stoop to mention it because I'm thinking the next series might be as heart-pumping tight, and that was something that might have cost us a game. I'm just a little surprised we haven't seen Dempster more as a one or two man reliever--see situation above.  He was usually pretty good through 4/5 innings in the season.  Farrell seems pretty focused on who he wants in there which is ok by me, but I thought we might see Dempster and Peavey in spots.  Are we down to three starters for the Cards?

[/QUOTE]

we'll go with 4, unless we are down 3-0 for game 4.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The last time Uehara walked a batter was August 3rd.  That is amazing!!!   Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Just as amazing is that as much as he has been throwing strikes, he did not let up an HR since June 30th (until the other day).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, since we're confessing our bad predictions, here are some of my hits and misses. I did say they would win more than they lost and that they would play the game the right way. They showed that much in ST. But I never foresaw (is that a word?) this much success.

Misses...

Thought Bradley would be a big star. Major miss, at least for now.

Said Middlebrooks would drive in 100 runs in the middle of the order. He couldn't even stay in town, let alone the middle of the order.

Thought Buchholz would contend for the Cy. Might have if he stayed healthy.

Thought Hanrahan could be a dominant closer.

Thought Carp and Nava were relatively useless 24th and 25th guys off the bench.

Thought Ciriaco would make a solid utility infielder.

Things I kinda got right....

Lackey would completely change fans' minds with a chiseled new body and great stuff.

Lester looked ready to return to the top of the rotation.

Salty was ready to step up amongst the top backstops in the league.

Napoli would be much better at first base than people expected. And he would have pop.

Pitching would be much improved, top to bottom, behind Farrell and Nieves.

Victorino would be a fan fave and was an extremely sound fundamental player.

Thought Buchholz would contend for the Cy (see above).

Pedroia and Ellsbury would be the most indispensible players on the team.

Now I don't treat this site like my own personal scorecard of what I got right and what I got wrong. I've never been banned, so anyone can check out my previous positions. I really don't care about being right or wrong. But this has certainly been as rewarding and enjoyable a ride as this team has ever given me, and I'm talking about sixty years of fandom. I like our chances against St. Louis, not sure they even make the playoffs in the AL East. And I'm already looking forward to 2014 spring training.

[/QUOTE]

I forgot about me wanting JBJ FT as well.

Chalk up another wrong one for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think I heard that Koji set the record for fewest batters let on base in a major league season for qualifying pitchers. In the history of baseball. The guy has a WHIP of 0.57. unbelievable.

And by the way, he was almost as good last year for the Rangers. This was a smart FA signing. This year he had $16.5 mil in value on around a $5 mil contract.

Interesting perspective on Nava and Victorino here. I agree completely:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gomes-nava-victorino-and-why-john-farrell-is-smarter-than-me/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think I heard that Koji set the record for fewest batters let on base in a major league season for qualifying pitchers. In the history of baseball. The guy has a WHIP of 0.57. unbelievable.

And by the way, he was almost as good last year for the Rangers. This was a smart FA signing. This year he had $16.5 mil in value on around a $5 mil contract.

Interesting perspective on Nava and Victorino here. I agree completely:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gomes-nava-victorino-and-why-john-farrell-is-smarter-than-me/

[/QUOTE]

He also had the 12th best reliever WHIP in 2012 with Texas. His 0.723 in 2011 was up there too.

This is not a fluke.

This guy is for real.

These numbers show the dominace:

2011-2013 WHIP

Uehara 0.64

Kimbrel 0.87

Romo  0.89

Jansen 0.91

Motte  0.94

Clippard 0.94

Rivera  0.97

Janssen 0.98

Avilan 0.98

Doolittle 1.01

#29 Jake McGee 1.10

The differential between #1 Uehara and #2 Kimbrel is the same as the differential between #2 Kimbrel abd #29 McGee.

Uehara is leeps and bounds ahead of the pack.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Uehara was a huge find and why wasn't everyone interested? Maybe durability issues?

He looks like he is under incredible pressure. When a guy has been this lights out for so long the pressure just builds. He has looked extremely tired the last few outings. Hopefully he can recharge soon and hopefully we need him!

This Wacha guy looks to be a problem. What a deal that was to make the decision to let Pujols walk when he was a St. Lous institution and then he implodes while the compensation pick turns out to possibly be the best pitcher in baseball only 17 months later. Unbelieveable. That was a half a billion swing in value. Just incredible. Pujols being almost real expensive dead weight and Wacha becoming a $350 mil type pitcher. Kershaw was just offered over $300 mil. Wacha beat him twice plus he has several more years of control. That was the best deal in the history of baseball possibly.

If the Redsox do win this I don't think many teams have will have ever beat better starting pitching to get there. And the Cardinals have 2 relievers who throw 100 mph?

We need Bogaerts in the lineup for sure and I wonder if Drew can catch up to that kind of heat. I didn't see that aptitude recently when I saw him hit. I could well be wrong but we are going to need all hands on deck this WS because these guys are a handful. I think I would strongly consider Bogey at SS and Middlebrooks at 3rd. You want a solid defense in low scoring games so I probably would still go with Drew but I worry that we will continue to struggle to score runs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Uehara was a huge find and why wasn't everyone interested? Maybe durability issues?

Kinda like Kuroda: age.

He looks like he is under incredible pressure. When a guy has been this lights out for so long the pressure just builds. He has looked extremely tired the last few outings. Hopefully he can recharge soon and hopefully we need him!

These 3 days off should help, and then 2 days off during the series.

This Wacha guy looks to be a problem. What a deal that was to make the decision to let Pujols walk when he was a St. Lous institution and then he implodes while the compensation pick turns out to possibly be the best pitcher in baseball only 17 months later. Unbelieveable. That was a half a billion swing in value. Just incredible. Pujols being almost real expensive dead weight and Wacha becoming a $350 mil type pitcher. Kershaw was just offered over $300 mil. Wacha beat him twice plus he has several more years of control. That was the best deal in the history of baseball possibly.

Having Allen Craig take over first lessened the blow as well.'

The Cards have 5 guys with 540+ PAs and an OPS above .830 plus Matt Adams  at .839 and 319 PAs.

While they have more .830+ hitters than us, they drop off signifcantly to their next tier hitters:

Freese and Jay at .721 and the rest under .665. The Sox have just 3 guys over .820 and one is Carp with just 243 PAs, but we do have 6 guys over .800 and 10 guys over .770. In an age of less offense, that is pretty significant.

If the Redsox do win this I don't think many teams have will have ever beat better starting pitching to get there. And the Cardinals have 2 relievers who throw 100 mph?

True, but out pitching has done a fine job as well, especially our pen. Our pen was a weak point early this year: what a turn-around!

We need Bogaerts in the lineup for sure and I wonder if Drew can catch up to that kind of heat. I didn't see that aptitude recently when I saw him hit. I could well be wrong but we are going to need all hands on deck this WS because these guys are a handful. I think I would strongly consider Bogey at SS and Middlebrooks at 3rd. You want a solid defense in low scoring games so I probably would still go with Drew but I worry that we will continue to struggle to score runs.

I think we may see this, if it goes 7:

Drew: 6 games at SS

Bogey: 1 at SS and 3 at 3B

Middy: 4 at 3B

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The one clear advantage we have beyond speed on the basepaths is the bench. If the games are extremely close maybe that extra pinch hitting quality might make a difference in one game.

I'm still rooting for Nava's standing O!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not going to sugar coat it. St. Louis looks better. This is going to be a huge challenge. There is still a difference between the 2 leagues though in my opinion and we have certainly one of the toughest divisions in baseball but the division they were in might just be even better. They had to deal with Pittsburg and Cincinnati. 2 really great teams.

I can't bring myself to project St. Louis but if I were a betting man and objective ....

Nah, can't do it!

Boston in 6!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Cards have 6 hitters with an OPS over .830, but it drops off sharply after them.

I'll take the team with 10 guys over .770.

Sox in 6.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We did hit significantly better than St. Louis, especially the 50 HR discrepancy. We have more pop.

And Stolen bases

and better OBP

I think St. Louis has the edge in the pitching.

This really could go either way. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Sorrry guys, I was talking about Franklin Morales in post above.  One of the Globe's writers said during the TB series he was warming up and couldn't get a ball over the plate.  I was a little surprised he made the post season.  Let's hope he steps up and makes a big contribution in the next round.

One thing I'm really looking forward to-how much if any change will Farrell make in using his roster against SL, NL team, a team he doesn't see that much?  Are we going to see people we haven't seen much in the playoffs...haven't both Dempster and Carp played in the NL for example?  What happens to Big Papi in SL?  Does he play first?  We just lose Naps for three games?

Sections
Shortcuts