A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2013: Part III

In response to ampoule's comment:

We're presently in SF and anxiously awaiting monday and tuesday's games,

I hope we bring them luck, you guys,  This trip will probably be the end of the feared dog days.

Whatever happens, I am totally proud of our team.  Whoever expected the season we've had so far???  I'm proud to be a Sox fan and will continue to support them through thick or thin.

I haven't mentioned my wife here, rest assured, she's as big a fan as I am,.  I'm a lucky guy!  As a matter of fact, her sister, a psychiatrist who lives here in the heart of SF, will be joining us with some choice seats she's purchased.....how good can life get?.......:).

If anything interesting happens, I'll share with all.

You should see Papi playing 1B 2 or 3 of the games in SF.

Wish I could be there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Devin Marrero promoted to AA last week. I cant wait to see him play later this month. Ive heard great things about this kids defense. He covers a ton of ground and is a vacuum with his glove. Also showing to have a good stick too. 260-280BA .350OBP. Not much power to speak of, but has a good approach at the plate.

Once Buch gets back to the rotation this team, lead by Buch, Lackey and Peavy have a great shot going for it all this year. A well balanced lineup that can take care of the offense as good as any MLB team. I like our chances this year. Regardless of the outcome, I could be more please with their performance this year and how well our last few years of drafting have gone, as some of those kids are now proving their worth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Devin Marrero promoted to AA last week. I cant wait to see him play later this month. Ive heard great things about this kids defense. He covers a ton of ground and is a vacuum with his glove. Also showing to have a good stick too. 260-280BA .350OBP. Not much power to speak of, but has a good approach at the plate.

Once Buch gets back to the rotation this team, lead by Buch, Lackey and Peavy have a great shot going for it all this year. A well balanced lineup that can take care of the offense as good as any MLB team. I like our chances this year. Regardless of the outcome, I could be more please with their performance this year and how well our last few years of drafting have gone, as some of those kids are now proving their worth.

Marrero is probably no Iggy on defense, but he is a plus on D while promising better offense than Iggy.

Maybe sometime in the near future, he can bump Boggy to 3B at the time Boggy "fills out" and is ready to move positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Marrero is probably no Iggy on defense, but he is a plus on D while promising better offense than Iggy.

Maybe sometime in the near future, he can bump Boggy to 3B at the time Boggy "fills out" and is ready to move positions.

From all the reports hes on par with Iggy, maybe not as flashy, but hes without a doubt a stud on D and can make most plays that Iggy can. Maybe not as good, but certainly not far off. Ive only seen some video and read scouting reports from AZ St. and the minors, so I havent seen him live yet. Cant wait to see him play a couple times before the year is over. Also going to see Owens pitch this month as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From all the reports hes on par with Iggy, maybe not as flashy, but hes without a doubt a stud on D and can make most plays that Iggy can. Maybe not as good, but certainly not far off. Ive only seen some video and read scouting reports from AZ St. and the minors, so I havent seen him live yet. Cant wait to see him play a couple times before the year is over. Also going to see Owens pitch this month as well.

The other option is to bring Drew back for a year or two, and move Boggy to 3B for 2014. The, when Drew's deal is up, Marrero could/should be ready to step in at SS.

Middlebrooks moves to 1B next year, and we have Carp, Nava, and Papi to cover if he falters again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The other option is to bring Drew back for a year or two, and move Boggy to 3B for 2014. The, when Drew's deal is up, Marrero could/should be ready to step in at SS.

Middlebrooks moves to 1B next year, and we have Carp, Nava, and Papi to cover if he falters again.

certainly a possibility, but I think the Sox have Bogey penciled in at SS and believe he will stick there. I guess another option would be Xander at SS, WMB at 3b, and see how the next 2 years pan out and whether either player would stick at those positions.

I wouldnt mind seeing Drew back, but Im sure it will take a 3-4 year deal to get it done. That, and like I mentioned, I think the Sox see X at SS and Middy at 3b right now. Marerro wont be ready until at least 2015-2016 so they have a little time before they have to go down that road.

Cecchini is the wildcard here and should be ready for ft play in 2015. We should see him for a COC next year. I love having these kind of "problems".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd give Drew a QO.

If he declines, the I'd tell Bogaerts that he is our SS, and see if Naps wants to hang out for $5M and split time with Carp.

If he accepts, I tell WMB that he is our 1B.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If things stand as they are now, I'm offering a QO to Drew and Ellsbury and even making a significant run to sign Ellsbury at up to 6 years for 90M. We will see a significant drop off between Ellsbury and JBJ and there are very few good FA outfielders available even through 2015. I doubt that 6 years and $90M gets it done for Ellsbury though and we probably take the pick. Of course it may not go that high though as it didn't with Michael Bourn so who knows, Ellsbury might even be back next year for under $70-80 mil. The Sox would certainly prefer a shorter term deal. They may just not be willing to go more than 3-4 years for almost anyone now. It is not a bad policy. Long term deals go bad so often. 

I think Drew probably gets a long term deal from some team but if he accepts the QO it wouldn't kill us. We could move Bogaerts into the reserve OF slot and even start him at 3rd in the beginning of the year and see how he does. If he pans out trade Middlebrooks.

No way Middlebrooks is our 1st baseman. I'd look at Kendry Morales, who has solid splits and may be weak defensively but he can hit better than Napoli. He should fit in well in Fenway. Or this new guy Abreau from Cuba could absolutely be in play. Middlebrooks doesn't look like he can hit well enough to play 3rd, let alone 1st. Hopefully he becomes our 3rd baseman. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

certainly a possibility, but I think the Sox have Bogey penciled in at SS and believe he will stick there. I guess another option would be Xander at SS, WMB at 3b, and see how the next 2 years pan out and whether either player would stick at those positions.

I wouldnt mind seeing Drew back, but Im sure it will take a 3-4 year deal to get it done. That, and like I mentioned, I think the Sox see X at SS and Middy at 3b right now. Marerro wont be ready until at least 2015-2016 so they have a little time before they have to go down that road.

Cecchini is the wildcard here and should be ready for ft play in 2015. We should see him for a COC next year. I love having these kind of "problems".

I do think the plan is to have Boggy at SS. We'll pick up a 1Bman and hope Middy does well at 3B.

As you know, I look for great defense at SS, so I'm always looking for a way to make it happen.  There's no way of knowing if Marrero will ever make it to the bigs, so planning on it is not something you make current decisions based on.

I'm not a huge Drew fan, but by bringing him back for a year or two, it moves Boggy to 3B and gives us a nice 1B/3B option in Middy. I'm not sure I feel safe with Middy/Carp/Nava/Papi at 1B, but if it doesn't work out, 1Bmen are easier to find mid-season than SSs or 3Bmen.

I'm not saying this is the option I am for, but there are advantages.

I think Ben sees Boggy as our SS for at least the next 1-2 seasons. Maybe the 3B situation gets solved by Middy and/or Cecchini, but if it doesn't, perhaps Boggy can be moved there at that point. Perhaps, one of them gets moved to 1B eventaully with or without Boggy moving to 3B.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I believe I read earlier tonight that Middlebrooks was taking ground balls at 1st? It would make sense if Napoli is going to be out for a while and maybe they were considering bringing up Xander. We are not that far from September guys. He is eventually going to be with the big club this year. They are trying to fix their problems against LH starters. Calling up Xander is probably unrelated though for the most part. He is probably just a September call up who might happen to help.

Can't say i'm a fan of Ross coming back. His rehab looked pretty awful. I think the guy is still hurt. I thought Lavarnway was underutilized.

This team is going through some bad times right now. And now a west coast trip. It could continue to be ugly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I believe I read earlier tonight that Middlebrooks was taking ground balls at 1st? It would make sense if Napoli is going to be out for a while and maybe they were considering bringing up Xander. We are not that far from September guys. He is eventually going to be with the big club this year. They are trying to fix their problems against LH starters. Calling up Xander is probably unrelated though for the most part. He is probably just a September call up who might happen to help.

Can't say i'm a fan of Ross coming back. His rehab looked pretty awful. I think the guy is still hurt. I thought Lavarnway was underutilized.

This team is going through some bad times right now. And now a west coast trip. It could continue to be ugly.

If Ross can  help the pitching staff then it's worth sending Lava down. speaking of lava i was pretty impressed with his hitting during his stint this year and definitely think he should have gotten more playing time. Since Ross went on the DL, Salty has caught an eye opening number of games. It might speak to Lavas defensive capabilities that they opted to run Salty out there day after day because like i said, i was impressed with his bat. If the Sox resign Salty this offseason then Lava should be moved off the position. 1Bman for now and eventual DH if papi ever retires. The biggest caveat of Lavas game is his bat. If his catching ability is the reason why he is not getting more time then he should not be a catcher. In any case, he will be a valuable bat off the bench when rosters expand and into the playoffs.

also, Xander got the call today. super excited to see him in action

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought Salty should have been rested more often, especially vs LHPs, but he's been hitting pretty well, so with the team slumping, it's hard to rest anyone doing well.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

If Ross can  help the pitching staff then it's worth sending Lava down. speaking of lava i was pretty impressed with his hitting during his stint this year and definitely think he should have gotten more playing time. Since Ross went on the DL, Salty has caught an eye opening number of games. It might speak to Lavas defensive capabilities that they opted to run Salty out there day after day because like i said, i was impressed with his bat. If the Sox resign Salty this offseason then Lava should be moved off the position. 1Bman for now and eventual DH ifpapi ever retires. The biggest caveat of Lavas game is his bat. If his catching ability is the reason why he is not getting more time then he should not be a catcher. In any case, he will be a valuable bat off the bench when rosters expand and into the playoffs.

also, Xander got the call today. super excited to see him in action

I still love Lavarnway's bat and his defense is good enough to use as a BU catcher or in case of an emergencey. I wouldnt trade him because I think his bat will be better if hes not concentrating on catching full time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't look to trade Lava, but it depends on how much some GM is willing to pony up for him. We certainly need to find someone to fill Salty's role next year- maybe even Salty himself. Until then, Lava and Ross look like the best options with Vazquez close behind.

I'm willing to go with that trio as long as we address the need of finding that second big middle-of-the-order hitter to protect Papi and be our main man after Papi retires. We may need to take the resources (money) from other positions to make it happen. Those positions could be:

C: Ross, Lava, Vazquez

1B: Carp, Nava, Papi, MIddlebrooks (?)

SS: Boggy, Holt

3B: MIddlebrooks (Boggy), Holt, Snyder

CF: JBJ (Victorino)

It's hard to imagine us going with these guys at more than 2 positions. My guess is we find a big bopper to play OF or 1B, sign a bridge FA at two others, and let the kids fight over the two remaining slots.

To me, the best positions for the kids would be...

1) 3B with Boggy and Middy (assuming we sign a SS)

2) 1B if we get Middy some reps over there next spring.

3) CF/RF as I like JBJ's skillset.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Monday: LHP Jon Lester (10-7, 4.31) vs. RHP Tim Lincecum (6-12, 4.38)

Tuesday: RHP Jake Peavy (9-5, 4.41) vs. RHP Ryan Vogelsong (2-4, 6.75)

Wednesday: LHP Felix Doubront (8-6, 3.95) vs. RHP Chad Gaudin (5-2, 3.06)

I like our chances this series even though on the road.

We face 3 righties.

SF struggles against LHPs, and we go with 2.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's check in with the CERA Numbers (50+ IP):

Lester

Salty  114  3.95  .694

Ross   42.2 5.27  .870

Demp

Salty  90  4.80  .760

Ross   36  2.75  .695

Lava 19.1  8.38  .985

Lack

Salty 103  2.88  .710

Ross  11.1  2.38  .715

Lava  25.1  4.62  .744

Doub

Salty  117  3.92  .727

Ross       5  3.60  .570

Lava     10  3.60  .817

Buch

Salty  48.2  1.85  .555

Ross   35.2  1.51  .507

Taza    

Salty  45.1   2.38  .676

Ross   10.1  2.61   .862

Lava      2    4.50   .971

Ueha

Salty  43.1  1.04  .409

Ross    8.1   2.16  .659

Lav a   4.0   2.25  .643

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OPS against with Salty catching:

OPS  Pitcher  PAs  '12 OPS/innings

.679  Lester  512   .869/480

.727  Doub   505    .777/534

.710  Lack    427   Cook  .808/331

.760  Demp  386    Beck  .708/243

.555  Buch   188    .935/345

.676  Taza    182   .604/124

.409  Ueha   159   Bard .830/166

.922  Ace     150   .752/231

.717  Bres    145  .670/61

.781  Mort    105   .660/116

.607  Miller  102   .553/95

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Hello all, back in San Jose from Maine and with computer access.  I watched almost every game this summer as I know some of you do.  I would like to give a summary of my views and impressions which I can't do until tomorrow.  Still in first place!  Go Sox!  Much better year than I expected and team seems gritty and deep.  As of late Ferrell seems to have made some weird decisions but maybe he gets a bye for all his good ones.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:

Hello all, back in San Jose from Maine and with computer access.  I watched almost every game this summer as I know some of you do.  I would like to give a summary of my views and impressions which I can't do until tomorrow.  Still in first place!  Go Sox!  Much better year than I expected and team seems gritty and deep.  As of late Ferrell seems to have made some weird decisions but maybe he gets a bye for all his good ones.

in the Biz this is called a "teaser". Big news, tonight @ 9!

looking forward to your thoughts on the season. It's hard to let the bad games get you down when the Sox have been so good this year overall. Ditto for Farrell. In regards to managers, people only keep track of the bad moves a manager makes. Even then, some aren't necessarily bad, they just didn't end up working out.. Farrell has been a rock this year. Definitely a big part in the teams play thus far. Just think of what our record would be if BV was still at the helm?

for the most part, this has been an amazing thus far and it's about to get a whole lot more exciting as the playoffs draw near.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As most of you know, I all but wrote off this season in March and complained that Ben, by playing it "half way", ended up helping neither the now nor the future in ways that made us highly competitive. I still look at the totality of his winter moves and shrug my shoulders. Other than Uehara, I don't see any signing or trade other than the Carp deal as being a "knock it out of the park" deal.

Victorino is looking great now, but was hurt and struggling for most of the year. His WAR numbers are greatly enhanced by his defense in RF, but his offense has been sketchy when taken in its totality. I was against this signing, but mostly about the 3rd year and Shane's recent struggles vs RHPs.

Gomes has been clutch and has heated up. I liked his signing at the time, and saw him as the much cheaper option than Cody Ross. I hope his numbers vs LHPs revert to his previous 3 year norm.

Drew has fielded better than I expected. I was against the signing at the time, but he is starting to look like he may turn out to be a net plus or at least a break even for the $9M spent. I called people "crazy" for suggesting he might earn a QO this winter, but now it doesn't seem so outlandish. My bad.

Napoli is likely to make $12-13M this year. He helped us early when Papi was hurt, but needs to regain himself before too long to make this signing a net plus.

Ross has been hurt. That's hard to hold against Ben, but one can't say in hindsight, that it was a great signing.

Dempster has not done well for us. He had some tough luck earlier with lack of run support, but at $13.5M x 2, I can't see this signing as anywhere near a plus.

Hanrahan deal: Failure. I'm not one of those that believes Melancon cannot handle the spotlight of a major market.

So, if the overall signings have not been a huge net plus, how are we in 1st place? Partly, it's almost by luck. The injury to Drew and struggles by Middy forced Ben and John to play Iggy. We got a lot out of him on O and D, and then capitalized on his risen stock and added Peavy to the roster. Now Drew and Middlebrooks are doing well, and Peavy is offering a hope for the missing top starter to take Buch's place or compliment him if and when he returns to form. Nava and Carp: big pluses. Salty: improved OBP by over 40 points. Ellsbury: stayed healthy. Lackey and Doubront: huge help. Uehara and Tazawa: WOW! Fill-in players like Workman, Britton, Holt, Snyder, Wright, and others all helped here and there. Team chemistry, something I have always downplayed, has seemd tp show it matters more than I thought it could. Mangers, coaches, and a bit of luck here and there has helped as well. Even if you don't like John, you have to admit, he's an upgrade over Bobby V.

I said last winter that I was not going to bash Ben until a sufficient time went by and the team became clearly "his team". I mentioned that I thought the Dodger trade was the real start of the "Ben era". I love that trade at the time and still do. We will be seeing the gains from that trade in future signings up to 2018. We may see Webster or DLR take on a big role in years to come. Yes, we will miss AGon, but at $22M/yr, even losing him should be able to be replaced with that kind of money.

In recent years, we have heard many posters complain about the "black holes" in our line-up. The unbalanced Lefty-righty or home-away splits. Now, that is largely a thing of the past, but we still have areas of need (as do all teams). I love rooting for this particular Red Sox team. It's always more fun to root for a team that is overachieving in terms of pre-season expectations. The year is not over. We haven't won anything yet. There's still a chance for bitter dissappointment, but all in all, this has been a great season so far. I love being wrong. I'm not afraid to admit I misjudged a few aspects of this team last March. It's hard not to view the Sox as a top 4 or 5 contender for the ring. I'd have to say the Dodgers and Tigers are higher favorites, but I think we match up with Detroit pretty well, since they have mostly RH'd starters. We'll see how we match up with the Dodgers starting tomorrow.

Go SOX!

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a look at our players' offense as compared to the rest of MLB.

Red= above median/ Blue= below median

OPS with 300+ PAs:

C: Salty 9th out of 21 at .795 (10th in OBP just .003 from 7th)

1B: Nap 18th out of 35 at .770 (.002 behind Trumbo/.013 from Fielder)

Carp  4th out of 44 with 190+ PAs at .913 (.024 behind Votto)

2B: Ped 6th out of 26 at .776 (3rd in OBP at .370)

3B: Mid 19th out of 39 with 250+ PAs at .714 (.003 from M Young)

SS: Drew 7th out of 26 at .752 (.018 from Iggy at #5)

LF: Nava 8th out of 35 at .814 (.007 from Holliday)

Gomes 17th out of 46 with 250+ PAs at .765 (just ahead of C Crawford)

CF: Ells 9th out of 36 at .783 (.006 from Venable)

RF: Vict Tied 17th out of 30 at .761 (.002 from Ethier)

DH: Papi 1st out of 15 at .978 (.080 ahead of Encarnacion)

Now, let's look at the splits:

vs RHPs (180+ PAs unless otherwise noted)

C: Salty  4th/29 (just .028 from 2nd place Mauer)

1B: Nap  T21st/36 (tied with Prince Fielder)

2B: Ped  15th/34 at .710

3B: Mid  29th/44 at .667

SS: Drew 2nd/32 at .828

LF: Nava 6th/44 at .869

CF: Ells  6th/39 at .857

RF: Vict 21st/39 at .743

DH: Papi 1st/19 at 1.130

vs LHPs (80+ PAs)

C: Salty 21st/32 at .657

1B: Nap 20th/37 at .749

2B: Ped  2nd/35 at .927

3B: Mid 13th/38 at .812

SS: Drew 22nd/33 at .606

LF: Gomes 29th/50 at .724

Nava  40th/50 at .660

CF: Ells  22nd/35 at .654

RF: Vict 19th/39 at .793

DH: Papi 10th/17 at .722

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm hoping we can take 2 of 3 at LA, but facing 2 lefties might make that harder.

Friday: RHP John Lackey (8-10, 3.22) vs. RHP Ricky Nolasco (9-9, 3.60), 10:10 p.m. (ET), NESN.

Saturday: LHP Jon Lester (11-7, 4.09) vs. LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (12-4, 2.95), 4:05 p.m. (ET), FOX.

Sunday: RHP Jake Peavy (9-5, 4.25) vs. LHP Chris Capuano (4-6, 4.70), 8:05 p.m. (ET), ESPN.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm hoping we can take 2 of 3 at LA, but facing 2 lefties might make that harder.

Friday: RHP John Lackey (8-10, 3.22) vs. RHP Ricky Nolasco (9-9, 3.60), 10:10 p.m. (ET), NESN.

Saturday: LHP Jon Lester (11-7, 4.09) vs. LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (12-4, 2.95), 4:05 p.m. (ET), FOX.

Sunday: RHP Jake Peavy (9-5, 4.25) vs. LHP Chris Capuano (4-6, 4.70), 8:05 p.m. (ET), ESPN.

Capuano has been nothing special this year.

We've got the right pitchers going this weekend, to take 2-3.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

I agree. We miss Kershaw and have our recently best starters going for us. Couldn't have asked for much better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

I agree. We miss Kershaw and have our recently best starters going for us. Couldn't have asked for much better.

The first two games, should be low scoring pitchers duels.

Can't wait for tonight's game!

Sections
Shortcuts