20.  Ricky Nolasco - Phillies.  

21.  Jhonny Peralta - Cardinals.  

22.  Bartolo Colon - Indians.  

23.  Bronson Arroyo - Mets.  

24.  Marlon Byrd - Pirates.  

25.  Grant Balfour - Yankees.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Re: A Realistic View at 2014: Part I

Moon, been reading your ideas as well as others on another site as to Middy.  Range of ideas there  but in the next few weeks and months we'll find out what BC is thinking.  We seem to be strong in the minors in these areas--pitching, catching, third...am I leaving anything out?  Not sure about our OF's.  Pitching is the gold commodity of course and that's good for us.  You've said we need to make a 3 for 1 trade; hope we can pull this off and improve big club.  Like your Stanton idea.  Any other teams we match up well with for their/our needs?  

Surprised to see Salty so strongly rumored to W. Sox.  He's improved a lot, I think he's probably under appreciated.  I like him--but I don't love him.  If he stays I'm good, but if he goes I think we'll be fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

MLBtraderumors favors the Yankees restocking... Would hate to see them get Beltran.

Does Seattle have the money for Ellsbury?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I'm not biased towards or against Jews but mossad-did-911 is just flat out ridiculous. Can't set by and watch junk like that go by without comment. WTFU.

It's pretty clear who did 911.

+1 I thought the same thing. Some names are a bit more than just a poor choice...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

the beauty of Winter 2012-13 were the short term deals, inking those same players to 3 year deals now would be a mistake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

You are all over it like a wet blanket Moon! As always!

Agreed on the QO to Drew, Napoli and Ellsbury. That was originally a heyman report if I remember correctly. It's interesting that Crit's friend is speculating the Yanks of Ellsbury because I seem to be one of the few who think that way also. Conventional wisdom is that they have so many other problems to address that they won't deal with Ellsbury. And if you look closely at it they do! They are losing the following guys potentially due to retirement and FA:

Cano

Reynolds

Youk

Petite

Kuroda

Rivera

Granderson

Logan

and I'm sure I am forgetting a few more!

Oh, the Joy! I think I hear some Mendellson stirring in the deep recesses of my brain just from the prospect of it all!

But they also lose Wells, Ichiro and Soriano next year. In other words 4 freaking starting level outfielders within the next 12 months. And Ellsbury's game is optimized a lot in Yankee stadium. If pitchers bust him inside he will burn them with a few more HR balls than he hits in Fenway. And if they pitch him outside he will hit .340 because he has a great opposite field stroke. Ellsbury is a perfectly optimized player for the Yanks. And even close to North Carolina so that softy can make an occasional roadtrip to see his favorite player!  

If they do not give a QO to Granderson watch out on Ellsbury. And indications are that they will not offer Granderson the $14 mil.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Oh yeah, I forgot Arod also who is potentially lost forever they hope! Oh, the Joy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In terms of prospects to keep Moon, I forgot to include Bogaerts in my list because I am SO IMPRESSED WITH THAT KID THAT I DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER HIM A PROSPECT ANY MORE!

We should offer him a Longoria type deal right now and hope to God he takes it. He absolutely looks for real. I've got him effectively pencilled in as our # 6 hitter in the lineup next year and I wish they had the guts to slot him after Papi!

Just kidding ok. I don't want to pressure him too much but if you guys promise not to tell him I think he's potentially our 2nd or 3rd best hitter probably next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't 2nd or 3rd on the team next year in terms of OPS.

I'm real enthusiastic about Cechinni also. I think they is a chance he pulls a Bogaerts next year and helps us in time for the playoffs also. What if he emerges to be a 300 hitter with 15 HR pop also at 3rd? And his best feature is his on base ability. We have a potential dynasty lined up guys. A serious contender for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not going to bore you guys to death again tonight with more long posts but I absolutely hope they make a run at Kuroda this year. I thought that was option A last year and look what numbers he put up again for $15 mil on a 1 year deal. The guy has been a lock on a sub 3.5 ERA and 200 innings for the last 4 years in a row. He would actually be our real ace and we wouldn't have to beat him to death like the yanks did last year. And it would cripple the Yanks potentially. I'd even offer him $20 mil on a 1 year deal and overpay for him. Of all the signs we could realistically pull off, he might well be the best again this year.

A couple times a few years ago I used to send emails to T.Epstein@redsox.com and such speculating that it might actually get through to the boss! I feel like doing it again this year to Cherington! Sign this guy Ben or at minimum make the Yanks pay through the nose for him!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

I'm not biased towards or against Jews but mossad-did-911 is just flat out ridiculous. Can't set by and watch junk like that go by without comment. WTFU.

It's pretty clear who did 911.

+1 I thought the same thing. Some names are a bit more than just a poor choice...

Yeah, it's laughable... everyone knows it was Cheney. 

MLBTR mentions Lackey's stock is up ( for trade ) and Sox might try Hanrrahan again. Was it Moon who brought up Mujica? I think Mujica would be better $ spent. Again, the FA list isn't fantastic & then add in the guys connected to the Biogenisis thing & it gets even worse.  

I'm trying to savor this WS title but I can't seem to put aside my expectations for next season. Which wld be, try for 90 wins, make the PS, and then see what happens. Sure-up the BP, add a couple more short-term contracts that include C, an OF bat w/ some pop, plug any holes along the way w/ what they got in the farm. Oh, and shave the beards. Next season it's tattoos. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Kuroda makes a lot of sense, and it would put us in the driver's seat to trade a starter to a team desperate for pitching. I'd try to hold onto Lackey, but realize the cheap 2015 makes his trade value super high. I still think we may try and restructure his deal to spread out the luxury limit hit over 2 years instead of just 2014. We won't get anything for Dempster, but the money it would free up, could net us another FA or two. I guess we could look to trade Peavy instead of Dempster, or trade Doubront as part of a larger package to bring us a super hitter to bat behind Papi, but my guess is we do not sign a SP this winter. The other 4 holes are too big to neglect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think JBJ can leadoff next season if Ells walks away.  Even though JBJ struggled at the plate facing the big boys, he has managed to walk and get on the base.  He doesn't have Ellsbury's base stealing skills but he certainly has speed.  VIc, Pedey, and Papi bat in this order and Bogey could be our #5 hitter.  He should be more comfortable batting 5th than cleanup.  I believe Salty will stay and Naps will come back as well.  I don't see any dramatic changes in the lineup.  Sox might look to add a RF platoon in case JBJ struggles early in the season and force Shane to play CF.  I think Sox could look into players like Jeff Francoeur, Jeff Baker, or Casper Wells come out of bench.  Also, Brandon Ryan could be interesting utility target for Sox.  

Lineup could look like

JBJ - CF

Shane - RF

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogey - SS

Naps - 1B

Gomes - LF

Salty - C

Middly - 3B

Bench: Ross (C), Nava (1B/OF), Francoeur OF, Brandon Ryan (UTIL)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem. Maybe they anticipated that need. I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is towin in the playoffs. 

Realistically ( getting with Moon's program here ) Doubront would be the likely trade candidate if we signed Kuroda. Most teams don't spend the kind of cash Boston does for starters like Dempster. As long as we get a lot of value back for him I'm ok with that and you know what, I think we might be selling high on him even though he is trending up. I like the guy though and am not anxious to trade him. It may well be that by spring training next year we will need all of them.

We probably could get something for Peavy. He may well be worth a pick at the end of his contract but do we want to take a chance on that? Maybe not. Kuroda would slot right in with our starting rotation and make it one of the best in the world. And it would be good for our Asian marketing also.

Did you guys hear how much the bidding fee might go for for Tanaka. Rumors it could be as high as 70 mil just for the opportunity to negotiate with him. Wow!

The Sox were willing to go as high as 20+ million on a one or two year deal last off-season for Kuroda, but they were still a essentially a distant 4th behind the Yankees, Dodgers & going back home.  A lot has obviously changed since last off season, so maybe he would consider Boston this winter, but with Kuroda, it's not about the money at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope the Red Sox go after Kuroda.  Send Tazawa and Uehara to help recruit him to Boston.  

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I saw no reports at all that the Redsox even tried to go after Kuroda last year, let alone offered him $5 mil more than he got from the Yanks. Why would he pass up an extra $5 million smackers? I don't believer the Redsox offered him $20 mil last year and I doubt if they do it this year. I'm just saying that is how high I would go in order to land him and take him away from the Yanks for a 1 year deal.

The Dodgers don't need starters and probably will not go after Kuroda. The Redsox may well make a push for Santana instead as that would be more their approach, and I'm fine with that, but given the situation even with us having ample starting pitching on the roster I would still go for an upgrade. 

What can we do which will generate more wins for us and potentially help us more in the playoffs? Sign an upgrade at starting pitching. As good as it is already, that is what I would do to improve this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I saw no reports at all that the Redsox even tried to go after Kuroda last year, let alone offered him $5 mil more than he got from the Yanks. Why would he pass up an extra $5 million smackers? I don't believer the Redsox offered him $20 mil last year and I doubt if they do it this year. I'm just saying that is how high I would go in order to land him and take him away from the Yanks for a 1 year deal.

The Dodgers don't need starters and probably will not go after Kuroda. The Redsox may well make a push for Santana instead as that would be more their approach, and I'm fine with that, but given the situation even with us having ample starting pitching on the roster I would still go for an upgrade. 

What can we do which will generate more wins for us and potentially help us more in the playoffs? Sign an upgrade at starting pitching. As good as it is already, that is what I would do to improve this team.

Actually, the Sox interest in Kuroda goes back to 2011.  They tried to trade for him at the deadline that year, they were in serious talks with his agent to the point that Jim Bowden tweeted that the Sox were "closing in on a deal for him" after the 2011 season and they made another strong push for him last offseason.  

As far as "Why didn't he take the extra 5 million," read the last sentence of my post.  With Kuroda, it's not about the money at this point.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Kuroda had a shockingly bad finish to the season, with a 6.56 ERA in his last 8 starts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Kuroda had a shockingly bad finish to the season, with a 6.56 ERA in his last 8 starts.

That is definitely a concern, especially when you consider his age.  If I were to guess, I would say he plays for NY or goes home.  He has always said that he wants to finish his career back home.  He has kids in school in LA & I don't think he would have ever left there if the Dodgers weren't such a financial mess before they were sold. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

MLBtraderumors favors the Yankees restocking... Would hate to see them get Beltran.

The Mariners have only $33.257 million committed for 2014, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts. The Seattle payroll was about $82 million in 2012 and 2013, $86.4 million in 2011, $98.4 million in 2010, $98.9 million in 2009, $117.7 million in 2008 and $106.5 million in 2007. 

The Mariners have the money, but this Seattle fan hopes the M 's find a better investment than a long-term contract for Jacoby Ellsbury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Mariners have only $33.257 million committed for 2014, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts. The Seattle payroll was about $82 million in 2012 and 2013, $86.4 million in 2011, $98.4 million in 2010, $98.9 million in 2009, $117.7 million in 2008 and $106.5 million in 2007. 

The Mariners have the money, but this Seattle fan hopes the M 's find a better investment than a long-term contract for Jacoby Ellsbury.

I hear you.

Just beyond me that if the RS are skittish of a long term contract to Jacoby that there are all these other teams willing to do that. Maybe the Angels!! They already got burned with Wells and now Hamilton! They have the history behind them to make such a commitment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree with everything you just said moonbeam! I would think they would try to restructure Lackeys contract unless it was already worded to automatically restructure if he did have the elbow problem.

Lackey's 2015 option is a team option that can be exercised at the end of 2014.  If we just simply restructure it without a raise it would essentially subtract about $8.5M from 2014 and add it to 2015. We could kick in a couple hundred thousand to make it worth his while (due to lost interest on his behalf). Since we look OK for 2015, I think it's a no brainer.

...I had high hopes for Peavy but I don't think he is ever going to even approach what he was in San Diego again. I think they would be crazy to want to trade Lackey at this point. He's exactly the kind of short term megastud deal we want. He's even cheap now for God's sake! He is a ton of value. Especially for a team whose objective is to win in the playoffs. 

True, but with all trades we have to weigh what we get in return, which should be large, versus who will take his place. What is the downgrade from Lackey to Dempster/Morales/Workman/Webtser versus what is the upgrade at another position or two. (Note: I do not want to trade Lackey. I'd rather trade Dempster or Peavy knowing that the return would be much less. I'm open to trading Doubront, but only for a very nice return.)

Pass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

hill, I'm with you on not wanting to go large and long for Ellsbury, but I know you are a big WAR fan. In 2013, Jacoby's 12.0 WAR translates to a $28.9 value. Even counting his injury years, he has a value of $104M in his last 6 years or $17M a year.

What are other Seattle fans saying?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Hey Boom, who is Heyman?  My friend told me about these Fri. night and I haven't seen a thing about it until now?

How do you guys react to this?  Once again I'm ok with Drew and Naps for one, this seems like we don't want Ells, and why aren't we offering something to Salty?  Does this mean we want him but don't want to pay too much, want him to "come to us?"

Guys, I want the big stud hitter too, but I don't want Doobie in the package.  I get why he'd be attractive--but for all those same reasons he should be attractive to us.  I know about his warts but also our coaches/elder statesmen should keep him focused and in line.  He's cheap money, a PROVEN starter at the major league level, a lefty, trending up, playoff and WS experienced--invaluable for young players if plan on "going back."  I would rather trade Peavey or several unproven but strong prospects.

A's need a 2nd baseman, Giants want left fielder, starting pitching.  Any possibilities there?  Neither likes to spend big money.

After the way Lackey pitched this year I would be astounded if we traded him.  It would have to be pretty sweet.

In conclusion 14mil is a little more than Naps made this year but I'm ok with that as he lost his shirt this year...

Sections
Shortcuts